Old 08-25-2019, 02:06 PM

Which comic book characters are actually easy to kill?

I was watching some super hero movies recently and was wondering which super heroes are formidable with powerful abilities and yet could potentially be killed quite easily.

Can Captain America and Spider-Man simply be killed by a bullet to the head? Let's go down the list, if you want. Are there comic book characters that are incredibly powerful beyond the middling characters that can actually be killed quite easily with some Batman style planning?

Feel free to cite movies or original source canon or even different iterations and universes of the same characters.

I don't need answer fast, I promise I'm not a super villain!

Last edited by pool; 08-25-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

I would think Spidey, DareDevil and any Flash can be killed by bullets, provided you catch them unaware. But spidey has the danger sense thing, and can dodge, Daredevil can deflect a bullet with his billy-club, and Flash can outrun it, or vibrate through it.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Hawkeye and Black Widow. The Wasp. Cyclops, Angel (original)

Batman, Shazam/Captain Marvel in kid form. Green Arrow.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:46 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Basically any superhero that doesn't have Invulnerability or Healing Factor in their power set can be killed by a bullet. Kal-El, Kara Zor-El, all the other -Els, Deadpool, Wolverine, Hulk and such are bullet-proof. Everybody else not so much. That doesn't mean they are easy to kill by any means. Just that it is possible.

Last edited by silenus; 08-25-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Dr. Strange is not bulletproof. But in a fight, a shield is one of the first spells he will deploy. Who knows what invisible magical defenses he may have running on autopilot? Probably depends on which writer is telling the story.

In The Dark Knight Returns, Frank Miller had Batman say this: "Why do you think I wear a target on my chest? I can't armor my head." (The fact that he wears a bulletproof vest is a trope that actually dates back to the 1940s.)

Physically, the Scarlet Witch is ordinary flesh and blood. But, if her defenses are up, your probability of hitting her is near zero.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:10 PM

Keep Aquaman out of water for an hour. At 50 minutes, he's fine. At 59 minutes, he's fine. At 59 minutes, 59 seconds, he's fine. One second later? He's dead.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

You can't shoot the Heckler. Bushwack'r tried, but the Heckler's Roadrunner power only makes it bad for the shooter.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
Dr. Strange is not bulletproof. But in a fight, a shield is one of the first spells he will deploy. Who knows what invisible magical defenses he may have running on autopilot? Probably depends on which writer is telling the story.
For a long while ó and, for all I know, itís still so ó a glowing ankh would appear to Strange if he was heading into a life-or-death situation. So if it didnít pop up, writers could do Adam-West-As-Batman stories where our hero gets bested and put in weird scenarios upon being caught off-guard, and then scramble to play catch-up; but if heís about to just get shot in the head, and thatíd be the end of the comic, heíd know that itís time to conjure the multicolored forcefields.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:26 PM

I could probably kill any Archie character. Well, maybe not the Spellmans, that would be unwise.

Last edited by Trancephalic; 08-25-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancephalic View Post
I could probably kill any Archie character.
Casper the Friendly Ghost, on the other hand, is already dead.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Any opinions on Hot Stuff the Little Devil?
Old 08-25-2019, 04:23 PM

Just a few years back, Captain America was killed by a sniper.

He got better, of course.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

From the Legion of Super Heroes -- Bouncing Boy and Matter Eater Lad.

Of course, you shouldn't try to, say, push Bouncing Boy off a cliff, or poison Matter Eater Lad, but you'd think that you could dispatch either of them in a number of simple ways.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

There was a storyline where Galactus was nearly killed by what Dr. Strange called a very simple spell (it caused remorse for all of the target's violent deeds, which for Galactus were overwhelming). So of course the Avengers had to save his life, because allowing anyone at all to die would violate the Comics Code Authority.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
Just a few years back, Captain America was killed by a sniper.

He got better, of course.
To be fair, Captain America spotted the sniper in time but (a) was minus his shield, and (b) had his hands cuffed behind his back.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
From the Legion of Super Heroes -- Bouncing Boy and Matter Eater Lad.

Of course, you shouldn't try to, say, push Bouncing Boy off a cliff, or poison Matter Eater Lad, but you'd think that you could dispatch either of them in a number of simple ways.
One-third of Triplicate Girl was killed off in the sixties, leaving her as the slightly less stupidly named Duo Damsel.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:20 PM

Marvel did a "What If?" comic called "The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe" and as I recall, the Punisher was able to take out quite a number of superheroes using guns before he had to switch to more exotic weapons.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:45 PM
Suspended

Any comic book character is easy to kill if you catch them unawares and use an appropriate weapon. All of them have writer-imposed vulnerabilities because a completely invulnerable character is boring. Note that the weapon need not be an actual physical object. It may be exploiting an emotional/psychological weakness.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:52 PM

There are literally too many comic book characters to list who could, in theory, be killed with a bullet to the head. There are a lot of characters without any super powers at all, for example, who are "normal" humans who just have training and/or gadgets.

For the most powerful characters that could be killed that simply, just with some planning, there are quite a few powerful magic users and reality manipulators who are otherwise normal humans who could be killed by a bullet they just didn't see coming. Off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Dr. Strange
Zatanna
Scarlet Witch
Franklin Richards
Shaman
Dr. Fate
Arion of Atlantis
Molecule Man

There are also a number of characters who transform into powerful forms, but have normal humans as alter-egos (again, just off the top of my head, in no particular order):

The Hulk (Bruce Banner)
Thor - sometimes (Dr. Donald Blake; I think in more recent continuities, he usually no longer has a mortal form)
Other wielders of Mjolnir or Stormbreaker: Beta Ray Bill (powerful cyborg alien even without the hammer, but probably could be killed by a bullet to the head), Thunderstrike (Eric Masterson), and others, depending on the continuity
The whole Marvel Family: Captain Marvel (Billy Batson), Captain Marvel, Jr. (Freddie Freeman), Mary Marvel (Mary Batson), Black Adam (Teth-Adam), and others, depending on the continuity

Since Captain Marvel is tag-lined, "The World's Mightiest Mortal", but has a human alter ego that could be killed by a bullet, he's arguably the most powerful character that could be killed by this tactic, but several of the magic users/reality manipulators above are often portrayed in ways that make them seem significantly more powerful than the Big Red Cheese.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:02 PM

I have it all figured out. If Dr Manhattan gives me any trouble, I’ll just remove his intrinsic field. That’s sure to work!
Old 08-25-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdave View Post

There are also a number of characters who transform into powerful forms, but have normal humans as alter-egos (again, just off the top of my head, in no particular order):

The Hulk (Bruce Banner)...
Won't work. Banner himself tried that. Put a gun in his mouth and fired. Hulk spit the bullet out. I recall another story line where a bullet stuck in Banner's head halfway through the transformation, leading to an insane Hulk (very nasty!)
Old 08-25-2019, 07:15 PM

Could you kill a Green Lantern (any of them) with a yellow bullet?
Old 08-25-2019, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
As Raj {I think} complained in Big Bang Theory once said, "I'm not impressed by someone who could be killed by a #2 pencil."

(That's because Golden Age Green Lantern's weakness was wood, and Silver Age Green Lantern was vulnerable to anything Yellow.)

Last edited by CalMeacham; 08-25-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Wouldn't even need to be yellow. Abin Sur died from injuries that were strictly physical, after all. I doubt any of his ship was yellow. Any sniper should be able to take out Hal Jordan if he is unaware of the attack.

Last edited by silenus; 08-25-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Wouldn't even need to be yellow. Abin Sur died from injuries that were strictly physical, after all. I doubt any of his ship was yellow. Any sniper should be able to take out Hal Jordan if he is unaware of the attack.
Not necessarily. The ring was under "standing orders" to protect the bearer. It would probably shield Hal from a (non-yellow) bullet without Hal knowing that is was coming.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

A definite possibility. Anybody have a cite where something like that happened? I'd love to be proven wrong on this.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
I was watching some super hero movies recently and was wondering which super heroes are formidable with powerful abilities and yet could potentially be killed quite easily.

Can Captain America and Spider-Man simply be killed by a bullet to the head? Let's go down the list, if you want. Are there comic book characters that are incredibly powerful beyond the middling characters that can actually be killed quite easily with some Batman style planning?

Feel free to cite movies or original source canon or even different iterations and universes of the same characters.

I don't need answer fast, I promise I'm not a super villain!
I think it's actually easier to list characters who aren't killable. Note that many characters have heavy plot armor, so in practice getting shot in the head wouldn't kill them.

Captain America would probably be severely wounded by a shot to the head. Not necessarily dead, since he has peak (or superhuman) durability and can survive a fall of up to 40 stories. It won't happen though because he'll never be caught by surprise that badly. (And then he'll come back because it's Marvel.)

Spiderman has superior durability (can tank superhuman punches) but I think he'd actually die. Of course, hitting him is another story. He will virtually never be surprised, and can probably outreact bullets.

The Hulk wouldn't die. Bruce Banner tried to kill himself, and "the Big Guy wouldn't let me". If he falls from a great height, he turns into the Hulk, who then regenerates and starts smashing things.

Wolverine would fall down (if the bullets gets past his adamantine-coated skull) but would just get back up. Deadpool has less durability but even more powerful regeneration. Same with X-23.

Scarlet Witch, MCU version: she doesn't have superhuman toughness, but if she notices you she would destroy or deflect your weapon.

Hawkeye and Black Widow: both have superhuman reflexes but aren't over-the-top tough. It would work, but they're so highly skilled that actually sneaking up on either of them is essentially impossible.

Iron Man: if he's wearing his armor, the bullet would bounce off.

War Machine: ditto.

Falcon: would die.

Winter Soldier: I suspect he'd face a fate like Captain America, but worse.

Thor: laughs as you. I'm not sure if I've seen Thor get injured by anything beyond Hela's magic blades or his own weapon. However he did seem to fear being eaten by a large dragon.

Vision: it would depend on his current density. The bullet might go through harmlessly, or bounce off super-dense material. He's made of vibranium naturally, so the bullets would bounce off "by default".

Black Panther: helicopter-mounted machine gun bullets do nothing to him while he's wearing his panther habit. From what I've seen he can tank hits without his habit, but a headshot is still a headshot. He'd probably nearly die, much like Captain America.

Captain Marvel: laughs at you. Spaceship weapons slow her down slightly.

Ant-Man: hard to hit when tiny, bullets should bounce off of him when huge.

Doctor Strange: in theory you could take him out with one hit. In practice he'll see it coming, can create a magical forcefield (I only saw this in the comics, not the movies), his cape will probably deflect bullets, and since he can see you coming he would probably wreck your attempt before you even tried it.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

You'd think the White Death would be killed by a sniper shot to the head, but in practice, it didn't actually work.

Oh, wait, he's not from a comic book.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Going back to the Legion of Super Heroes, you could shoot Ultra Boy in the head if he was holding up a huge rock.

Even if he managed to switch from Super Strength to Invulnerability quickly enough, the rock would smoosh him. Even if the rock couldn’t neutralize the Invulnerability, he couldn’t lift it off him, and if he switched back to Super Strength....re-smooshed.

(Admit it. These scenarios are MUCH MORE FUN when you limit them to the Legion of Super Heroes.. Maybe I’ll start a new thread.)

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 08-25-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Shrinking Violet and a can of Raid.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Won't work. Banner himself tried that. Put a gun in his mouth and fired. Hulk spit the bullet out.
That was only because he shares a head with Hulk, who therefor knew it was coming. Someone who's not in the same brain as Hulk could surprise him when he was Bannery.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
A definite possibility. Anybody have a cite where something like that happened? I'd love to be proven wrong on this.
Where he was shot by a sniper and his ring automatically protected him? Not off the top of my head but there were plenty of times where his ring automatically protected him.

Only one i can think of right off (I need to collect those 70's issues of Flash back-ups) is in a JLA issue when he slipped on soap and banged his head on the bathtub. The ring protected him enough so he was only knocked out. Also "Bathed him in healing rays before the ring flew off to find John Stewart"

He also mentioned several times the ring would protect him from mortal injury he was unaware of....in the 70's.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
That was only because he shares a head with Hulk, who therefor knew it was coming. Someone who's not in the same brain as Hulk could surprise him when he was Bannery.
Yup. Hawkeye killed him exactly that way.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Punisher killed Banner with a bullet in Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
I think it's actually easier to list characters who aren't killable. Note that many characters have heavy plot armor, so in practice getting shot in the head wouldn't kill them.

Captain America would probably be severely wounded by a shot to the head. Not necessarily dead, since he has peak (or superhuman) durability and can survive a fall of up to 40 stories. It won't happen though because he'll never be caught by surprise that badly. (And then he'll come back because it's Marvel.)

Spiderman has superior durability (can tank superhuman punches) but I think he'd actually die. Of course, hitting him is another story. He will virtually never be surprised, and can probably outreact bullets.

The Hulk wouldn't die. Bruce Banner tried to kill himself, and "the Big Guy wouldn't let me". If he falls from a great height, he turns into the Hulk, who then regenerates and starts smashing things.

Wolverine would fall down (if the bullets gets past his adamantine-coated skull) but would just get back up. Deadpool has less durability but even more powerful regeneration. Same with X-23.

Scarlet Witch, MCU version: she doesn't have superhuman toughness, but if she notices you she would destroy or deflect your weapon.

Hawkeye and Black Widow: both have superhuman reflexes but aren't over-the-top tough. It would work, but they're so highly skilled that actually sneaking up on either of them is essentially impossible.

Iron Man: if he's wearing his armor, the bullet would bounce off.

War Machine: ditto.

Falcon: would die.

Winter Soldier: I suspect he'd face a fate like Captain America, but worse.

Thor: laughs as you. I'm not sure if I've seen Thor get injured by anything beyond Hela's magic blades or his own weapon. However he did seem to fear being eaten by a large dragon.

Vision: it would depend on his current density. The bullet might go through harmlessly, or bounce off super-dense material. He's made of vibranium naturally, so the bullets would bounce off "by default".

Black Panther: helicopter-mounted machine gun bullets do nothing to him while he's wearing his panther habit. From what I've seen he can tank hits without his habit, but a headshot is still a headshot. He'd probably nearly die, much like Captain America.

Captain Marvel: laughs at you. Spaceship weapons slow her down slightly.

Ant-Man: hard to hit when tiny, bullets should bounce off of him when huge.

Doctor Strange: in theory you could take him out with one hit. In practice he'll see it coming, can create a magical forcefield (I only saw this in the comics, not the movies), his cape will probably deflect bullets, and since he can see you coming he would probably wreck your attempt before you even tried it.
"Actuallllllly"

There's an 80's comic where Thor was taken out by a single normal bullet to the shoulder/chest area. It was stupid. Stupid stupid stupid. I haven't since seen him actually have bullets bounce off him....but you cant have a guy who can tussle with Hulk NOT be bullet-proof.

Stranges cape is just normalish cloth and has been torn several times.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:10 PM

Public Spirit, a Superman cut-out from Marshal Law. He had the Superman slate of abilities (minus the invulnerability, I suppose) and was ultimately taken out with a bullet to the head.

The only mainstream superhero I can think of who actually died that way is Blue Beetle. An underrated fighter, but no actual super powers.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

All of the characters in Maus.

All of the characters in My Friend Dahmer.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:27 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
Wolverine would fall down (if the bullets gets past his adamantine-coated skull) but would just get back up.
In fact, that's exactly what happens in a scene in the second X-Men film. He's on Bobby Drake's (Iceman's) family's front porch, along with Bobby, Rogue, and Pyro, and a cop shoots him in the side of the head. He falls down, unconscious, though it appears that the bullet just smashed against his adamantium skull. Over the course of a few seconds, his skin pushes the bullet back out, and he wakes up.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:56 PM

Marvel's Defenders (also the Punisher):
The only part of Jessica Jones with superhuman durability is her liver.

Daredevil would probably hear the trigger being pulled and dodge/deflect the bullet or some similar nonsense.

Luke Cage is bulletproof.

Iron Fist would only be okay if you shot his fist.

The Punisher has no super powers, except near the end of his second season on Netflix when he suddenly gains the ability to change any real damage into decals.

Umbrella Academy:
If caught by surprise none of them have a chance. Except for Ben who's already dead.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
One-third of Triplicate Girl was killed off in the sixties, leaving her as the slightly less stupidly named Duo Damsel.
As I've said before, a lot of the folks in the Legion are apparently simply Normal Folks from their own planets and societies. This implies that

a.) Maybe communications and intercourse between planets in the Legion future isn't all that great, if such individuals seem "exotic"

b.) It's kinda racist ("planet-ist"? Something else) to have these people known and remembered only for that one trait or characteristic. It would be like me going to some alternate future where most of the members are from other planets and never saw an Earth person before, and calling myself "Tan-Boy", because I could get a suntan (or, in extreme cases, sunburn. Then I'd be "Painful Red Boy")

c.) So did Luornu Durgo get into the Legion just by being the first Carggian to apply? Did Reep Daggle get to be Chameleon Boy just by being the first Durtan through the door? And so on. (Since one of Triplicate Girl's bodies got killed, do the other Carggians view her as handicapped?)
Old 08-26-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Which comic book characters are actually easy to kill?
The family members in the origin stories.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

CalMeacham:. I’ve wondered about that myself.

“Hi! I’m Jugalo McJuggle from the planet Juggler, where everybody has the ability to juggle, and I want to JOIN THE LEGION!”

“Say, thanks for the tip, we could use a good juggler. Lemme just Google your planet to find out who the most congenial member could be — not to mention the mightiest juggler of y’all — and we’ll be phoning him or her shortly. The exit’s to your left.”
Old 08-26-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Mitch Shelley(Resurrection Man) can be killed...but it is probably not a good idea if you do so.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Casper the Friendly Ghost, on the other hand, is already dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
Any opinions on Hot Stuff the Little Devil?
They're Harvey, people. Don't mess Harvey characters.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Deadpool also killed the Marvel Universe. Twice.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:18 AM

For some of these characters I would say there is a difference between being shot and being SHOT.

Getting shot with a .38 and getting shot with a .50 BMG (a not uncommon sniper rifle) are very different. The latter will leave your head mostly a mist.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Unless you're the White Death.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Do you go by easy in principle to kill, or by how hard it is to line up the chance?

The Punisher is a mortal man (except for that time he died and then the afterlife kicked him out), but just somehow everyone who ever thought that a simple bullet to the head would end him is gone, and he's still here. To the point that roomfuls of armed killers have been afraid to even try.

Deathstroke, one of the most accomplished assassins in the DC universe tried to fulfill a contract on Star City mayor Oliver Queen. He didn't.

P.S. what happens if you teleport the Hulk into intergalactic space, millions of light-years from anything and no air?
Old 08-26-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

He drops into suspended animation until somebody shows up to claim him. IIRC this or something similar has happened multiple times over the decades.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Oh, has anyone mentioned the Martian Manhunter and fire yet?