Old 01-24-2012, 09:06 PM

Eh, the phrase was probably in "Reefer Madness."

~VOW
Old 01-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukachelle View Post
Way before Simpsons and Dragnet. Wally Cleaver (Tony Dow) said it on Leave it to Beaver.
Wally didn't call Beaver a goofball, he called him a "little goof".
Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

"Hopped up" was also used with regard to home-built roadsters that had modified engines to produce more power than stock engines, as in a "Hopped up jalopy". This could have crossed over to drug users who appeared to be running on something a little more powerful than normal.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:23 PM

It was probably zombies.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koxinga View Post
Where does Mary Jane fit into all this?
She's my main thing.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzt70 View Post
The phrase "hopped up on goofballs" was stated by a witness during cross examination by Perry Mason. Episode 252, airdate 11/21/1965. Certainly not the first use but the show often tried to use exotic street lingo.
http://www.perrymasontvseries.com/wi...ePages/Show252
Funny, I just found this thread after hearing it twice on that episode of the show and wondering what the origin of the phrase was and googling on it... The Simpson comments are just stunning, really.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryman View Post
She's my main thing.
She makes me feel alright.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:16 PM

I actually JUST heard this phrase used on Gilmore Girls by Lorelai's mother. She was describing truck drivers saying, "They always seem to be hopped up on bennies and goofballs." Or something along those lines.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puketag View Post
I created an account here after I googled this phrase.

I have been watching mystery science theater 3000 and in season 2 "Catalina Caper", Joel comments on a rather dopey looking man that "I think a certain looking teen idol is hopped up on goofballs".

This episode was in 1990 and predates the Simpsons ep. Although a lot of people today will remember it from the Simpsons and the phrase itself has probably been around for generations.
That's funny I just signed up tonight after I googled this phrase! I heard it while watching an episode of Perry Mason. The guy that actually murdered the guy in this episode tried to cover his tracks by blaming a guy who was "hopped up on goofballs". Of course when Perry Mason tried to interrogate the guy who was hopped up on goofballs he replied "I don't know I was hopped up on goofballs at the time." But of course he's not the one that did it because he was too hopped up to kill anyone.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2019, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa1222 View Post
That's funny I just signed up tonight after I googled this phrase! I heard it while watching an episode of Perry Mason. The guy that actually murdered the guy in this episode tried to cover his tracks by blaming a guy who was "hopped up on goofballs". Of course when Perry Mason tried to interrogate the guy who was hopped up on goofballs he replied "I don't know I was hopped up on goofballs at the time." But of course he's not the one that did it because he was too hopped up to kill anyone.

This episode was " the Case of the Silent Six" from 1965.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa1222 View Post
This episode was " the Case of the Silent Six" from 1965.
Here's the clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUQuj9elPqg
Old 08-20-2019, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Google Books must have added a lot of new sources since this thread started. Perry Mason is out.
Quote:
Without a Trace - Page 119
https://books.google.com/books?id=LdJPAQAAMAAJ
Frederick Clyde Davis, ‎Stephen Ransome - 1962 - ‎Snippet view
Found inside - Page 119
You know as well as I do, some of these crazy kids get themselves hopped up on goof balls or weed or even a taste of horse. Mr. Porter was taking a nap and the girl was out, so it looked like nobody was home. The goofed-up kid needs money ...

Juvenile Delinquency (National, Federal and Youth-Serving ...
https://books.google.com/books?id=N1tFAQAAMAAJ
United States. Congress. Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Subcommittee to Investigate Juvenile Delinquency - 1954 - ‎Snippet view
Found inside - Page 291
Some of them were hopped up on these “goofballs,” drinking them with beer. These kids would refer to it as a “pad” instead of an apartment. They would have some girl around 18 or 19 years old rent this “pad” or apartment for them, usually in ...

Harper's Magazine - Volume 192 - Page 375
https://books.google.com/books?id=m2MQAAAAIAAJ
1946 - ‎Snippet view
Found inside - Page 375
they said, and stepped up one by one and got their quarters and retreated, their heads together and their armed hips clanking together and their faces ... She's hopped." "Hopped?" "I thought you went downtown with her." "I did." "Did she leave you at the pony track?" "Yes, for a few minutes. ... She's a sucker for all three." "Goofballs?" Mr. Palmer said. "Reefers?" "Phenobarb," Mrs. Vaughn said. "Marijuana.
The Senate hearings on Juvenile Delinquency got massive publicity, so that's probably the source.

The Harper's story is "The Women on the Wall" by Wallace Stegner. You can see it being an easy step from "She's hopped up." "On what?" "Goofballs." to a phrase.

The first use of goofballs I find is 1932.
Quote:
Report of the Crime Problem Advisory Committee of California - Page 61
https://books.google.com/books?id=R8Y1AAAAIAAJ
California. Crime Problem Advisory Committee, ‎Rolland A. Vandegrift, ‎University of California, Berkeley. Institute of Governmental Studies - 1932 - ‎Snippet view
Found inside - Page 61
These drugs are more commonly referred to by users as "bennies", "goof balls", "red devils", "blue heavens", "Mickey Finns" or " knock out drops", "yellow jackets", and "green dragons". The most alarming fact brought to our attention was the ...
Definitely not marijuana.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan
We called that a "speedball", and then much later, a "Belushi cocktail".
"We"?

"Shooting (paregoric) is a terrible hassle, you have to burn out the alcohol first, then freeze out the camphor and draw this brown liquid off with a dropper—have to shoot it in the vein or you get an abscess, and usually end up with an abscess no matter where you shoot it. Best deal is to drink it with goof balls … So we pour it in a Pernod bottle and start for New Orleans past iridescent lakes and orange gas flares, and swamps and garbage heaps, alligators crawling around in broken bottles and tin cans, neon arabesques of motels, marooned pimps scream obscenities at passing cars from islands of rubbish … New Orleans is a dead museum."

- William S. Burroughs
Old 08-20-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koxinga View Post
Where does Mary Jane fit into all this?
If you date her, you hit the jackpot.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:52 AM

I hear “hopped up on goofballs” in Danny De Vito’s voice. Did he say this in LA CONFIDENTIAL?
when it's really the Voice of God?
Old 08-20-2019, 01:50 PM

A Dictionary of the Underworld
by Eric Partridge (Bonanza Books, 1961):

Hopped up. “Intoxicated on opium,” Geo. C. Henderson, Keys to Crookdom, 1924; “They do their shooting when they are all hopped up with dope,” Charles F. Coe, Me-Gangster, 1927.

Goof-ball, is an occ. variant of goof-butt. The American Thesaurus of Slang, 1942.

Goof-butt. “’Reefers,’ or ‘goof-butts’, as the marijuana cigarettes were called,” Mary Sullivan, My Double Life, 1939.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:08 PM

From the same source as post #66 (I forgot to look in the appendix):

Goof ball.

2. A smoker of marijuana cigarettes; drug traffic; since ca. 1940. Fishman, Nov. 1947. Sense 2 is suspect.

3. A barbiturate; since ca. 1940. Sherman S. Wilse, in Time, Aug. 28 1950., “A goof ball is a nemmie (from Nembutal, trade name for a certain barbiturate), Geronimo, bomber, or any other barbiturate or sleeping pill”; Dr. Simpson “Digs U.S. Crime Lingo”; in The Daily Telegraph, March 2, 1959.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:16 PM

There are older cites, but in the context of pop culture I think Kevin Meaney popularized the ironic use of the expression, probably in the voice of his mother.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:49 PM

It came from culture? Before the internet we just knew stuff. We watched a lot of TV. It never came up where we first heard something, because that was in the mists of time. We knew it was old though. The whole point is that it sounds old, so even without the eytimology you know it came from real life via radio, films and tv. And you know the later the usage the more ironic or old it is meant to be.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
It came from culture? Before the internet we just knew stuff. We watched a lot of TV. It never came up where we first heard something, because that was in the mists of time. We knew it was old though. The whole point is that it sounds old, so even without the eytimology you know it came from real life via radio, films and tv. And you know the later the usage the more ironic or old it is meant to be.
The editors of the O.E.D. would beg to differ.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:46 PM

My point is that I can believe "hopped out" and "goofball" were at some point legitimate drug slang in some city (not even necessarily the same one) but you likely won't find the originator. The full construction "hopped out on goofballs" was more likely invented by someone trying evoke legitimate street slang, so by the time it got vulgarized and grandma picked it up from Perry Mason, it always sounded funny to anyone familiar with their own local drug slang.

Kevin Meaney says it here in his 1986 HBO special, but I can find the bit where it's repeated multiple times for effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IC4...outu.be&t=2548

Last edited by eunoia; 08-20-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:14 PM

I can't find it, now I'm thinking it might have been Larry Miller.