Old 07-20-2019, 07:32 AM

Ilhan Omar - A thread about her marriage and immigration history.

This is my first post on this forum. No, I'm not a previously banned member. No, I'm not a troll. I have been lurking this forum for a few months now after finding this place through some google searches. "The Pit" seems to be the most appropriate place to post this in, but if its not, my apologies.

Now that that's out of the way:

Quote:
Please read the verified evidence below — and read it alongside the three years of verified evidence published by Scott Johnson, Preya Samsundar, and myself (our work is linked here). The answers to those questions about 2009 appear to give probable cause to investigate Omar for eight instances of perjury, immigration fraud, marriage fraud, up to eight years of state and federal tax fraud, two years of federal student loan fraud, and even bigamy.

To be clear: The facts describe perhaps the most extensive spree of illegal misconduct committed by a House member in American history.
This is not getting much play in the mainstream media, but it really does seem like Omar married her brother to get him American citizenship, among other things.

In my opinion, this needs to be investigated and if true, she needs to be prosecuted.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...rious-case.php

https://twitter.com/realDSteinberg/s...89152589754377
Old 07-22-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
This is not getting much play in the mainstream media, but it really does seem like Omar married her brother to get him American citizenship, among other things.
Too bad there isn't an ultra-conservative, liberal hating news network that would LOVE to publish this.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

For the sake of argument, I'm going to assume everything the OP's citations say is true.

Here is my response:

So? I literally could not care less.

Last edited by JohnT; 07-22-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Existing thread. Still listed on Page 1, friend. Take a look.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:45 AM

This thread wouldn't have sufficed for this topic?
heh - ninja'ed by seconds

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 07-22-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:48 AM

As far as I can tell, there's still no actual evidence (aside from a maybe-exists, maybe-it-doesn't supposed social media post about nieces/nephews that may or may not have been made by the person in question) that she married her brother. And if I understand immigration law at the time correctly, there would have been no immigration motive -- her brother would have had the same ability to immigrate as her husband.

Sounds a lot like birtherism to me -- bullshit evidence, tons of innuendo from internet nutbars, and (unfortunately) significant numbers of Americans who latch on because they're eager for any reason, even bullshit ones, to cast aspersions on dark-skinned people who reach high office.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

There's a lot of evidence, including her own admission and apology, that there were some paperwork problems with her marriage, that resulted in her having to pay a fine to the IRS. Nobody disputes this.

There's no evidence at all that she married her brother.

Repeating the evidence for the former over and over again does not constitute evidence of the latter.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
This is my first post on this forum. No, I'm not a previously banned member. No, I'm not a troll. I have been lurking this forum for a few months now after finding this place through some google searches. "The Pit" seems to be the most appropriate place to post this in, but if its not, my apologies.

Now that that's out of the way:

In my opinion, this needs to be investigated and if true, she needs to be prosecuted.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...rious-case.php

https://twitter.com/realDSteinberg/s...89152589754377
Why, you're just asking questions. How very reasonable! and bullshit that you're not a sock or a banned poster coming back.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:34 AM

Why would she marry her brother?
Pretty sure immigration asks about siblings, and she would have been caught out.....
��
Old 07-22-2019, 09:40 AM

So, Annoyed:
  • Join date = Oct 2017.
  • Lurking for a "few months"
  • First post = July 20, 2019

What have you been doing the rest of the time?
Old 07-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
This is my first post on this forum.
After registering a year and a half ago this is your first post in any forum, and you use it to post already debunked right-wing glurge that is still being discussed in another thread.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:48 AM

Had the sense enough to put it in the Pit, that's gotta count for something. I for one am on the edge of my seat waiting to see what else Annoyed has to say on the subject.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
This is my first post on this forum. No, I'm not a previously banned member. No, I'm not a troll. I have been lurking this forum for a few months now after finding this place through some google searches.
I guess 2 years could still be considered "a few months". That's some dedicated lurking.

Quote:
Some quickie questions you might want to ask yourself:

1) Considering Omar has been the focus of so much news, and the focus of so many attacks of late, why do you think this story hasn't gained more traction in the mainstream media?
Not juicy enough? Conspiratorial coverup? Disinterest in the private lives of public figures?

2) Does Omar actually have a brother named Elmi?

3) Does Elmi now have US citizenship?

4) If Elmi were her brother, wouldn't he already be eligible for US citizenship?

5) What, if anything, do you mean by "among other things"? And If you don't actually have anything else to suggest, why did you feel the need to vaguely imply other nefarious deeds?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/il...marry-brother/
Old 07-22-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Training apparently takes longer for some people than others.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
So, Annoyed:
  • Join date = Oct 2017.
  • Lurking for a "few months"
  • First post = July 20, 2019

Shaking his head, tapping his foot, rolling his eyes and sighing theatrically.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:08 AM

Annoyed is just a Russian shit-stirrer. Let's fuck with him (if he ever comes back).
Old 07-22-2019, 10:20 AM

сообщается.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:29 AM

Well, I'm....annoyed by his/her presence. Here's to hoping he/she doesn't come back. At least not today.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
This is my first post on this forum.
Quote:
"The Pit" seems to be the most appropriate place to post this in
I think these are the only true statements from the OP. Everything else was BS, including not being a sock or troll.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Nothing speaks to one's innocence more than beginning a convo with a list of rules one hasn't broken.

"Officer, I surely wasn't speeding and that kicking you hear in my trunk is merely the muffler, and this is ketchup on my shirt."
Old 07-22-2019, 10:57 AM

Why, he has binders full of lists of rules he hasn't broken. Totes legit.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Why, he has binders full of lists of rules he hasn't broken. Totes legit.
Totes Legit-Sounds like a Dick Tracy villain.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

I once knew a woman who married her broker. They really bonded.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:14 AM

Serious (just asking!) question: what's the logistics of making most-likely-troll accounts and letting them sit for two years before they get used? What's the point?
Old 07-22-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Serious (just asking!) question: what's the logistics of making most-likely-troll accounts and letting them sit for two years before they get used? What's the point?
Speculation here, but you make a sock as an “spare” account when trolling because you figure you’ll get banned eventually. When you do get banned, you start posting as your “lurker” account and people can’t say “Jojo got banned and the next day Bobo is created, obvious sock”.

Also, some forums limit what you can do until an account has been around a while. Making alts ahead of time gets you around that when you have to shed one mask and wear another. I don’t believe SDMB has any such rules but once you get in that habit elsewhere it becomes habit.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
As far as I can tell, there's still no actual evidence (aside from a maybe-exists, maybe-it-doesn't supposed social media post about nieces/nephews that may or may not have been made by the person in question) that she married her brother. And if I understand immigration law at the time correctly, there would have been no immigration motive -- her brother would have had the same ability to immigrate as her husband.

Sounds a lot like birtherism to me -- bullshit evidence, tons of innuendo from internet nutbars, and (unfortunately) significant numbers of Americans who latch on because they're eager for any reason, even bullshit ones, to cast aspersions on dark-skinned people who reach high office.
Dad had an affair. They're only half siblings. If so, I assume that, that would negate the immigration advantage.

You would also need to look at the timelines. Plausibly, Elmi isn't the most organized person in the world, decides at the last minute that he'll come to try living with the rest of the family while going to college in the US and, at the point he makes the announcement, the amount of time it will take for approval is insufficient. The marriage route might be the only pathway to get him over in time for school, without having to wait a year or two. And maybe Elmi isn't real sold on the whole America thing to begin with (he does ultimately decided to go back to the UK, after all) so he's going to go to a university in the UK if the visa thing can't be figured out in time, rather than work at McD's for a year or two waiting for things to be figured out.

Most likely it would have been a longer process, after all. Whatever caused the family to be split up would have to be explained and the family connection established. You're fighting both a perjury accusation from previous disclosures of your family size and having to establish a new legal record that goes against previous ones, which isn't the favorite thing of a bureaucracy. What's on paper is always more believable than the actual person's word.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Dad had an affair. They're only half siblings. If so, I assume that, that would negate the immigration advantage.

You would also need to look at the timelines. Plausibly, Elmi isn't the most organized person in the world, decides at the last minute that he'll come to try living with the rest of the family while going to college in the US and, at the point he makes the announcement, the amount of time it will take for approval is insufficient. The marriage route might be the only pathway to get him over in time for school, without having to wait a year or two. And maybe Elmi isn't real sold on the whole America thing to begin with (he does ultimately decided to go back to the UK, after all) so he's going to go to a university in the UK if the visa thing can't be figured out in time, rather than work at McD's for a year or two waiting for things to be figured out.

Most likely it would have been a longer process, after all. Whatever caused the family to be split up would have to be explained and the family connection established. You're fighting both a perjury accusation from previous disclosures of your family size and having to establish a new legal record that goes against previous ones, which isn't the favorite thing of a bureaucracy. What's on paper is always more believable than the actual person's word.
Very interesting guesses. Perhaps you should write a short story?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:02 PM

Gosh, there was already a thread in this forum about it and it wasn't going well for the OP. Did you really need to start another one?

Frankly, I don't believe it for a minute and I don't fucking care about the issue. I'm just annoyed that this has become the same sort of time wasting, people insulting bullshit as questioning Obama's birth certificate. But then, I don't expect any better from people who think locking children in cages with no toothbrushes or bedding and making them drink from a toilet is the right thing to do.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Very interesting guesses. Perhaps you should write a short story?
The alternative is that a few right-wing bloggers were able to falsify a fairly prodigious quantity of screenshots, learning Somali along the way, at a much higher level than their graphic abilities would seem to indicate. And then, for whatever reason, Omar decided that she didn't like the prospect of the free money that she could get by suing their assess.

And, further, that Omar's husband, asked to give his address, decided to give Omar's husband's address instead of his own. Omar's husband didn't leave that address until a few months later.

I'll also note that a fair quantity of what they have alleged is independently verifiable. Screenshots being faked as may be, if you can verify something as true, it doesn't matter that you got to it via a liar. Any hypothesis needs to explain the available truths.

As it is, I was able to verify that the family is still friendly with the ex, which does contend with the divorce proceedings; that Omar's dad goes by another name in person than he does legally; address information puts Omar with both husbands at the same time, which goes against her current story; and the person who originally started the story seems to have been a guy who simply dislikes hypocrites in the Somali community, was a moderator on his site, and he cited his work.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Your assumption is incorrect.

Quote:
The definition of sibling in the U.S. immigration law includes people who were the children of at least one common parent; that is, it includes half-blood siblings.
Link
Old 07-22-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Speculation here, but you make a sock as an “spare” account when trolling because you figure you’ll get banned eventually. When you do get banned, you start posting as your “lurker” account and people can’t say “Jojo got banned and the next day Bobo is created, obvious sock”.

Also, some forums limit what you can do until an account has been around a while. Making alts ahead of time gets you around that when you have to shed one mask and wear another. I don’t believe SDMB has any such rules but once you get in that habit elsewhere it becomes habit.
Less lazy trolls make an occasional post during their dormant period—typically something sufficiently anodyne or inscrutable to avoid attracting attention— and when they do "go live," start off slowly and make a minimal effort to disguise their online voice, so it isn't instantly, glaringly obvious to everyone that they're the latest avatar of a pathetic sad sack whose other main sock account was recently banned or suspended.

Our newly "woke" OP is not a less lazy troll.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I once knew a woman who wanted to get her hair done for free so she married her brusher.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Less lazy trolls make an occasional post during their dormant period—typically something sufficiently anodyne or inscrutable to avoid attracting attention— and when they do "go live," start off slowly and make a minimal effort to disguise their online voice, so it isn't instantly, glaringly obvious to everyone that they're the latest avatar of a pathetic sad sack whose other main sock account was recently banned or suspended.

Our newly "woke" OP is not a less lazy troll.
One problem is that our conservative friends have made up SOOOOOOOOO much crazy shit that, even if they came up with something like this and it was TRUE no one would believe it. It's "The boy who cried wolf".
Old 07-22-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
The alternative is that a few right-wing bloggers were able to falsify a fairly prodigious quantity of screenshots, learning Somali along the way, at a much higher level than their graphic abilities would seem to indicate.
Or that those screenshots were just slightly modified, or they say something different than you think they say, or a million other possibilities.

Quote:
And then, for whatever reason, Omar decided that she didn't like the prospect of the free money that she could get by suing their assess.
Likely she recognized that evidence doesn't matter for this kind of thing (see birtherism), and a lawsuit would just bring more attention to it.

Quote:
And, further, that Omar's husband, asked to give his address, decided to give Omar's husband's address instead of his own. Omar's husband didn't leave that address until a few months later.
Whether true or not, who cares? Maybe he was staying with them, or maybe this is bullshit, or maybe a miscommunication, or maybe a million other possibilities.

Quote:
I'll also note that a fair quantity of what they have alleged is independently verifiable. Screenshots being faked as may be, if you can verify something as true, it doesn't matter that you got to it via a liar. Any hypothesis needs to explain the available truths.
None of the "verifiable" info actually consists of evidence she married her brother.

Quote:
As it is, I was able to verify that the family is still friendly with the ex, which does contend with the divorce proceedings; that Omar's dad goes by another name in person than he does legally; address information puts Omar with both husbands at the same time, which goes against her current story; and the person who originally started the story seems to have been a guy who simply dislikes hypocrites in the Somali community, was a moderator on his site, and he cited his work.
None of this actually consists of evidence she married her brother. She would get no immigration benefit from doing so. Why do you think this is a reasonable supposition? What possible gain could they have for doing so? Why are you so ready to believe something with such incredibly weak evidence, and no motive?
Old 07-22-2019, 01:02 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Nothing speaks to one's innocence more than beginning a convo with a list of rules one hasn't broken.

"Officer, I surely wasn't speeding and that kicking you hear in my trunk is merely the muffler, and this is ketchup on my shirt."
Reminds me of a certain public official crowing about being a "stable genius." Just as genuine stable geniuses/genii don't feel a need to tout the fact, neither do genuine non-socks/trolls.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

What is the reason for the obsession with this one member of Congress, not just on the part of the OP but also Fox News and others?
Old 07-22-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Have you not seen her?
Old 07-22-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
What is the reason for the obsession with this one member of Congress, not just on the part of the OP but also Fox News and others?
I suspect because she's the only one of "The Squad" that Trump told to "go home" that actually immigrated into the US. There's no point in making the others "poster children" for anti-immigration hate, because they were born here. But telling her to "go home" sounds less insane than telling the others to do so.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:01 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Female, immigrant, Black, Muslim, and a decent human being. Everything their hero is not. Scares the crud out of them.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Either my brain is not working, or this paragraph was poorly worded.

-God
Old 07-22-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post

The Authoritarian Party needs to create a "Goldstein" so they can focus their Two Minutes Hate.

Orwell seems to have been quite good at predicting the future.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I suspect because she's the only one of "The Squad" that Trump told to "go home" that actually immigrated into the US. There's no point in making the others "poster children" for anti-immigration hate, because they were born here. But telling her to "go home" sounds less insane than telling the others to do so.
Since when did the Trumpsters ever believe in the sanity clause?
Old 07-22-2019, 02:48 PM

You know, I didn't realize that this thread was already a couple of days old. I fear that it may be another few years before Annoyed returns to expound on this story.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

The OP's profile says "Cell activated, 7/20/19".
Old 07-22-2019, 02:56 PM

Over a year and a half between join date and first post? Apparently not long enough. No need for a second post.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
And then, for whatever reason, Omar decided that she didn't like the prospect of the free money that she could get by suing their assess.
I don't think you have a very clear understanding of the concept of "free". Things that you have to make an effort to obtain are not free.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Over a year and a half between join date and first post? Apparently not long enough. No need for a second post.
You're just scared. The OP cited some dickhead with a blog and a random asshole on Twitter. Gotcha libtards!
Old 07-22-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
You're just scared. The OP cited some dickhead with a blog and a random asshole on Twitter. Gotcha libtards!
Well if you can't trust some dickhead with a blog and some random guy on twitter over a Member of Congress and the entire monolithic fake news complex, just who can you trust?
Old 07-22-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
The alternative is that a few right-wing bloggers were able to falsify a fairly prodigious quantity of screenshots, learning Somali along the way, at a much higher level than their graphic abilities would seem to indicate. And then, for whatever reason, Omar decided that she didn't like the prospect of the free money that she could get by suing their assess.

I've gotta ask, Sage Rat:

How do you feel about the fact that a shitty troll, possible sock is taking up your cause with a drive-by, single question JAQ-off of a post? I mean, you seem to be pretty pleased with it so far.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:56 PM

How do we know it isn't his sock?