Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-02-2018, 02:21 PM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,651

Do we have a thread for SlackerInc yet? Maybe we should


I feel like this is a little bit overdue. SlackerInc has always been at least a wee bit of a racist sympathizer, and now we get this:

"Why don’t Tom Steyer or George Soros move black Mississippians to Pensacola or Atlanta?"

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...94&postcount=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
It’s really not that far (from Jackson, the epicenter of Mississippi’s black population, to Pensacola is 251 miles), and it wouldn’t be like moving to some cold, culturally foreign Northern city.

My first impulse was to simply pay for a moving truck and their first six months’ rent. But then it occurred to me that they could get a lot more bang for their buck, and put these people on more solid ground, by establishing businesses in those cities (maybe even negotiating tax breaks!) that provide housing (like the old “company towns”). Recruit lots of Mississippians (but still hire locals too) and even if the enterprise loses money, you might only have to subsidize ten or twenty percent the cost of simply paying their rent without getting anything back. It would also look like less of a nakedly political move, and it would be much harder to demonize without looking anti-jobs and racist to boot.
*blinks*

What the dick am I actually reading? Pool's response seems apt, if lacking in "what the ever-loving fuck", which is probably a good thing given the forum, so allow me - what the ever-loving fuck, SlackerInc? What actually the fuck? When you make even ITR Champion look good on race, you have fucked up.

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 12-02-2018 at 02:21 PM.
  #2  
Old 12-02-2018, 02:49 PM
E-DUB's Avatar
E-DUB is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,761
Ahhh, I don't have a problem with the hypothetical which seems to be built around the concept that Mississippi has black folk to spare and that moving them them (in appropriate numbers) could tip FL and GA blue, which isn't going to happen in Mississippi any time soon. (The hypothetical also depends on the accurate observation that blacks typically vote D.)

I mean, sure it's weird that he'd think that up, but as a hypothetical way of effecting political change moving from one state to another has been discussed here before, in a non-racial context, such as the call for "Calexodus".
  #3  
Old 12-02-2018, 02:54 PM
Wesley Clark is offline
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,248
As I mentioned in the thread, libertarians tried to do this with New Hampshire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_State_Project

The idea of people moving around to change politics is a common one (this is one reason the south is becoming more purple, people from outside the south are moving to big cities in VA, NC, GA & TX). And black voters are 90% democratic.
__________________
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to sparkle motion
  #4  
Old 12-02-2018, 03:00 PM
Chingon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the hypersphere
Posts: 598
He's a racist shit who knows how to troll the 'dope. This is just a different dance to his same song.

Last edited by Chingon; 12-02-2018 at 03:00 PM.
  #5  
Old 12-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Ludovic is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 30,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
As I mentioned in the thread, libertarians tried to do this with New Hampshire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_State_Project

The idea of people moving around to change politics is a common one (this is one reason the south is becoming more purple, people from outside the south are moving to big cities in VA, NC, GA & TX). And black voters are 90% democratic.
However, something similar did happen in Vermont albeit not on purpose. Both states were attractive to both liberals and libertarians because the existing population were indeed more libertarian live-and-let-live types than moralistic busybodies.

But to the point of the thread, it's difficult to commit to uprooting yourself just for the sake of your one vote. So the new Vermonters came outside of any organized movement.
  #6  
Old 12-02-2018, 03:26 PM
Ramira's Avatar
Ramira is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
He's a racist shit who knows how to troll the 'dope. This is just a different dance to his same song.
Exactly.

and now he has yet another thread to play in while people like the OP dance to his music, page after page.
  #7  
Old 12-02-2018, 06:16 PM
suranyi is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 7,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
As I mentioned in the thread, libertarians tried to do this with New Hampshire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_State_Project

The idea of people moving around to change politics is a common one (this is one reason the south is becoming more purple, people from outside the south are moving to big cities in VA, NC, GA & TX). And black voters are 90% democratic.
The idea is a common one. A little bit of thought shows that the idea is almost always ridiculous. The vast majority of people won’t move for political reasons — they need social or financial reasons. So you need monetary incentives. And to move the number of people needed to make a difference would take an enormous amount of money.

Political changes due to natural migration of people, as is happening in the south, is a different matter.
__________________
Right now, it’s Girls’ Generation. Tomorrow, it’s Girls’ Generation. Forever, it’s Girls’ Generation!

Last edited by suranyi; 12-02-2018 at 06:18 PM.
  #8  
Old 12-02-2018, 08:11 PM
PastTense is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,665
Any problems with his contributions to the thread on "genital mutilation of young girls"?
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...rchid=15483000

Last edited by PastTense; 12-02-2018 at 08:11 PM.
  #9  
Old 12-02-2018, 10:33 PM
foolsguinea is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 15,829
I apologize for reviving his thread about relocating black Mississippians when it was fading away. I should have kept just ignoring him.

I already considered him a putz.

The thing is, I myself had had, and kind of liked, the idea of relocating people into different districts to fight the effects of gerrymandering. It's just that we have to admit it's inefficient compared to its counters.

But going so far as to suggest taking African-Americans out of MS is creepy.

Last edited by foolsguinea; 12-02-2018 at 10:36 PM.
  #10  
Old 12-05-2018, 03:58 AM
Disgruntled Penguin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post

But to the point of the thread, it's difficult to commit to uprooting yourself just for the sake of your one vote.
I don't think that's it at all. OF course, no one would uproot themselves for the sake of their one vote but to be part of 10,000 votes and making a difference, that is different. Take the racial element out of it and I might consider it depending on where I'd be moving to. Heck, I'm from Fl and I'd consider moving home if there was such an offer on the table. Plus, no state income tax...

Add in the racial element however and it becomes a really weird idea and assumes that people choose their party primarily by their race and I don't believe that's true at all.
  #11  
Old 12-05-2018, 04:07 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,651
Also, he will not shut up about circumcision in a thread about female genital mutilation.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...&postcount=375
__________________
"Until their much-needed total political extinction, you can expect the GOP to continue to take corporate money to systemically murder you and everyone you know."
- A. R. Moxon
  #12  
Old 12-05-2018, 04:19 AM
Disgruntled Penguin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,253
I bet he jaywalks too!!!!!
  #13  
Old 12-05-2018, 05:37 AM
Mr. Nylock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bed
Posts: 3,093
I think of him as the poster who never shuts up about how high his IQ is, and how that somehow makes up for his lack of actual education. With him I see much less evidence of what I would consider to be very high IQ in his posting than I do among some posters who have never mentioned what their IQ is. I'm not saying he's stupid, just nothing I've seen makes me think there is anything particularly exceptional about his reasoning capabilities.
  #14  
Old 12-06-2018, 04:11 AM
RTFirefly is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
As I mentioned in the thread, libertarians tried to do this with New Hampshire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_State_Project

The idea of people moving around to change politics is a common one (this is one reason the south is becoming more purple, people from outside the south are moving to big cities in VA, NC, GA & TX). And black voters are 90% democratic.
The idea goes all the way back to Bloody Kansas in the 1850s. Everything old is new again.
  #15  
Old 12-06-2018, 05:46 AM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 41,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
I think of him as the poster who never shuts up about how high his IQ is, and how that somehow makes up for his lack of actual education. With him I see much less evidence of what I would consider to be very high IQ in his posting than I do among some posters who have never mentioned what their IQ is. I'm not saying he's stupid, just nothing I've seen makes me think there is anything particularly exceptional about his reasoning capabilities.
He's yer classic Int 15, Wis 5, Cha 6 character.
  #16  
Old 12-06-2018, 07:32 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,310
He tries to prove how awesome and well like he is in real life by (chuckle) posting images of supposed plaudits he gets from his Uber customers:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...0#post21361660

Seriously. Firstly, he doesn't get that such images could be faked incredibly easily, and thus couldn't possibly be proof for anything other that one is feeble-minded enough to think that people might take these as proof of anything. And secondly, he really seems to think that trying to prove online to strangers that one is awesome is a sign of awesomeness.

I know I'm probably enabling him by continuing to point and laugh, but sometimes it can't be helped!
  #17  
Old 12-29-2018, 08:49 AM
Manda JO is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,408
Slackerinc is a terrible person because of the racist shit and the misogynistic shit, but it's the way he talks about art that is just nails on a chalkboard to me. It's never enough for him to like or dislike something: he has to make these claims about it's empirical quality, as if he's a perfectly objective Aesthetic Scientist who has the complete list of what is "good". It's never just not to his taste: it's objectively bad. It's honestly shocking that the gatekeeping experts--the editors, the producers, what have you--would have let this artist make this mistake (which is an extension of his overall bigoted paternalistic approach to women and minorities).

There is this thread, where he goes on for pages about how Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy is badly written--and then goes off on how Connie Willis is even worse. This despite admitting he only read a couple pages of Jemisin and never clarifying if he'd actually read any Connie Willis. Not, "I don't like it that kind of writing" but:

Quote:
Not a chance. “I don’t personally appreciate the emperor’s new clothes, but I understand that everyone else seems to love them.” Nope, not going along with that.

Jemisin? I stand by my criticisms, which are in a nutshell that she uses informal language as though we are hearing from a character-narrator, but then the character intermittently disappears, as does the second-person voice, and we get standard third-person omniscient author descriptions of scenery and of the internal mental state a character would not know. To me that inconsistency is just an automatic fail. Still, there are some good, writerly sentences in there even if it’s a confused mishmash overall.

In the Willis, there is just nothing to hang your hat on there. You can cite experts all day long, but that doesn’t change anything. I already knew she won a zillion awards—that was my point, that I was utterly flabbergasted by this fact! I would like someone to look at the reasonably long excerpt I posted and tell me what’s good about it. In a specific and detailed way, just as GreenWyvern did when criticizing McDonald’s prose. How am I wrong to say it sounds like Tom Swift?
That's right. After several people dug up pages of citations from literary scholars taking these authors seriously, it's all people falling for the "emperor's new clothes" because he knows, authoritatively, that these women can't write, they are BAD writers, they needed a (implied, male) writing partner or editor to teach them the craft. All those awards and scholarly recognition is virtue signaling.

And his proof? Here's a quote. You have to demonstrate exactly what makes this exact quote "good writing" or else you're just an establishment stooge. You have to hold these 300 words up to the "good writing" paint chip and the "bad writing" paint chip and argue which it matches. He doesn't have to make an argument: he can just see which one it matches. You have to prove to him that this writing matches what he considers "good writing" , or admit it's bad writing.

I think the worst part is the condescending admission that there are a few "writerly sentences in there", as if good writing must be evaluated on the sentence-by-sentence level, and as if modern writers must adhere to writing models long dead, the models handed down by the old masters--and any deviation from that is not deliberate aesthetic choice, it's unskilled flailing.

Anyway, I was pretty infuriated by all that, but then he drops these gems in the thread about Into the Spiderverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Wow, talk about MMV.

I found the film really hard to grade. I'm honestly not sure if I'm rating it way too high or way too low.

I loved the script, the acting, the music, the editing, all that jazz. But I hated the animation style. Not the use of comic book elements like word bubble type narration and such. That was totally cool. I just can't stand the "uncanny valley" computer animation used through most of the movie.

So I can see an argument for just giving this a D-, lamenting that they didn't make it a different way, and moving on. But all those other elements of the film are strong enough that I was kind of into it regardless. So ultimately I went with a C- grade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I’m also not anti-animation, BTW. Studio Ghibli stuff, most especially “Spirited Away”, is awesome. If this Spidey movie had been hand-drawn, it could have been something great.
The terrible burden of "having to grade" it. He can "see an argument" for the other side, but ultimately, that's wrong. He's right: the animation style is bad. It could have been a great movie, but "they" messed up.

This isn't as appalling as his behavior in that first thread, but it has the same tone: this smug sense that he just KNOWS what's good, what's right, and that other people are wrong: they don't see the flaws that are so glaring to him, with his princess-pea level sensitivity to aesthetic lapses. What a burden!
  #18  
Old 12-29-2018, 09:33 AM
Great Antibob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
He's yer classic Int 15, Wis 5, Cha 6 character.
(bolding mine)

Assumes existence in the absence of the least evidence. Probably closer to an Int 12. At best.

I'd rather put it at Con 17 - what he lacks in charm, discretion, or smarts, he tirelessly makes up with remarkable and unfailing stubbornness.

There are intelligent posters who are not especially well educated. SlackerInc is not one of them. He has not to date shown he is particularly intelligent, intellectually honest, or especially intellectually curious. Actually, he often goes out of his way to show he doesn't really understand his own cites, arguments, or the counter-arguments from other posters. But he does like to repeatedly bludgeon the same arguments again and again despite any obvious counter-evidence or flaws in reasoning.

He's so terribly poor at arguing his racist bullshit in particular, it has actually changed my mind on male circumcision (no joke, actually for real, changed my mind). If he's so adamantly opposed to it and given his history of being absolutely wrong on his other pet causes and his atrociously poor reading comprehension and ability to evaluate evidence, male circumcision is probably a good thing.

Last edited by Great Antibob; 12-29-2018 at 09:34 AM.
  #19  
Old 12-29-2018, 10:48 AM
andros is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Dejagore
Posts: 10,568
Jesus fuck, Manda JO, that's some seriously Sick Puppy nonsense. Fuck him.
  #20  
Old 12-29-2018, 11:55 AM
Manda JO is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
Jesus fuck, Manda JO, that's some seriously Sick Puppy nonsense. Fuck him.
He's examined his heart and he's sure he's not a sick puppy. He knows this because he just thinks whole groups are statistically unlikely to be capable of achievement, but is sure he doesn't judge individuals. And he thinks black people are amazing musicians, so he's not racist.

He honestly thinks every discussion of aesthetics is an ARGUMENT, a thing to be won or lost, where you score points by bringing up sentences and passages in isolation and point things out. Then you tally up your points and see who wins. I am sure he always "wins" these sorts of arguments in real life, not realizing no one else wants to participate in a Socratic Dialogue where they have to defend the legitimacy of their aesthetic reactions. He sees submission when he's being humored, and has come to think of himself as wise in the ways of these things.
  #21  
Old 12-29-2018, 12:28 PM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 52,863
I pity his kids. I wonder if he makes them write essays after they watch movies.
  #22  
Old 12-29-2018, 01:02 PM
Penfeather's Avatar
Penfeather is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
He tries to prove how awesome and well like he is in real life by (chuckle) posting images of supposed plaudits he gets from his Uber customers.
He's apparently not smart enough to realise that he's an Onion headline:

Local Uber Driver Debates Running Star Wars Running Order, Decries Minorities.
  #23  
Old 12-29-2018, 01:20 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
(bolding mine)

Assumes existence in the absence of the least evidence. Probably closer to an Int 12. At best.

I'd rather put it at Con 17 - what he lacks in charm, discretion, or smarts, he tirelessly makes up with remarkable and unfailing stubbornness.

There are intelligent posters who are not especially well educated. SlackerInc is not one of them. He has not to date shown he is particularly intelligent, intellectually honest, or especially intellectually curious. Actually, he often goes out of his way to show he doesn't really understand his own cites, arguments, or the counter-arguments from other posters. But he does like to repeatedly bludgeon the same arguments again and again despite any obvious counter-evidence or flaws in reasoning.

He's so terribly poor at arguing his racist bullshit in particular, it has actually changed my mind on male circumcision (no joke, actually for real, changed my mind). If he's so adamantly opposed to it and given his history of being absolutely wrong on his other pet causes and his atrociously poor reading comprehension and ability to evaluate evidence, male circumcision is probably a good thing.
As I noted before, a severe lack of Bayesian Logic, as in having a very noticeable lack of the ability of factoring in additional evidence and background information that should modify a point of view. Indeed, he is a person that boast of intellectual powers and yet shows to all that he is not intellectually curious.

One very telling example:

Recently SlackerInc posted that we should forgive Trump and the republicans because they were actually right about the scientists being wrong because they predicted global cooling back in the 70's. Well, no.

Quote:
In some papers, researchers might look at the mid-century cooling trend and hypothesize that aerosols may have caused it, and then they may look at what possible effects aerosols might have on future climate. The very same paper may also make note of CO2's warming influence, and on possible outcomes if atmospheric CO2 continues to increase in the future. Benton 1970 and Barrett 1978 both fit this description. But if you just read NTZ's quotes from these papers you would know nothing about forecasts of future warming.

NTZ's goal-post shifting, straw-man arguments, and quote mining/cherry picking result in a lopsided description of 1970s climate science. It is possible to get a more accurate description of what scientists knew (and didn't know) about climate in the 1970s from NTZ's pile of papers. But to do so you have to read beyond the selected "money quotes" and look at all of the data. When you do so, you won't find a majority of 1970s scientists forecasting "global cooling". Instead you will find what PCF08 found in their literature review:

Quote:
[P]erhaps more important than demonstrating that the global cooling myth is wrong, this review shows the remarkable way in which the individual threads of climate science of the time—each group of researchers pursuing their own set of questions—was quickly woven into the integrated tapestry that created the basis for climate science as we know it today.
(Note: NTZ is for No Tricks Zone, a site or blog that many conservatives and pseudo-intellectuals who think that they are getting good information are actually being fooled.)

So that was telling for a couple of reasons: anyone that has been paying attention to past discussions on this issue should had noticed that that myth was debunked many times before.

And, falling for that myth is just about par for the course for clueless guys that do think that they are getting proper information when in reality they are falling for propaganda and ignorance, propaganda and ignorance that anyone that does pride themselves as being against Trump and the current Republicans should had been able to spot.

What that myth pointed at were places that are the likely sources that SlackerInc and others like him are really using. So I really do doubt a lot, not only about his smarts, but also about what the politics that he claims to have are; it all shows up thanks to the myths that he repeats and the most likely sources of them.
  #24  
Old 12-29-2018, 01:32 PM
Penfeather's Avatar
Penfeather is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeather View Post
He's apparently not smart enough to realise that he's an Onion headline:

Local Uber Driver Debates Running Star Wars Running Order, Decries Minorities.
Although I'm apparently not samrt enough to proof-read.
  #25  
Old 12-29-2018, 01:50 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeather View Post
Although I'm apparently not samrt enough to proof-read.
Good thing to acknowledge because the Slacker is also, besides being a follower of ideas that the Nazis would be proud of, is also a Grammar Nazi.

You reminded me of another annoyance from him, he avoids replying to a post by complaining about the grammar of the poster. Never mind that a post has cites or quotes with proper grammar, for him it is 'off with the heads of bad spellers in an attempt to distract others about how he cowardly did avoid dealing with contrary information.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 12-29-2018 at 01:52 PM.
  #26  
Old 12-29-2018, 02:28 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post

So that was telling for a couple of reasons: anyone that has been paying attention to past discussions on this issue should had noticed that that myth was debunked many times before.

And, falling for that myth is just about par for the course for clueless guys that do think that they are getting proper information when in reality they are falling for propaganda and ignorance, propaganda and ignorance that anyone that does pride themselves as being against Trump and the current Republicans should had been able to spot.

What that myth pointed at were places that are the likely sources that SlackerInc and others like him are really using. So I really do doubt a lot, not only about his smarts, but also about what the politics that he claims to have are; it all shows up thanks to the myths that he repeats and the most likely sources of them.
Wow, don't tell him that Lincoln was a republican. He may think that republicans are still for civil rights, and that Democrats are the racists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
Good thing to acknowledge because the Slacker is also, besides being a follower of ideas that the Nazis would be proud of, is also a Grammar Nazi.

You reminded me of another annoyance from him, he avoids replying to a post by complaining about the grammar of the poster. Never mind that a post has cites or quotes with proper grammar, for him it is 'off with the heads of bad spellers in an attempt to distract others about how he cowardly did avoid dealing with contrary information.
Tautology, tautology! Your point is nullified.
  #27  
Old 12-29-2018, 02:41 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Tautology, tautology! Your point is nullified.


Now, grammar tools with better AI are needed to catch redundancy.
  #28  
Old 12-29-2018, 03:06 PM
Larry Borgia's Avatar
Larry Borgia is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 10,620
He's a "show" poster. Every thread he posts in will inevitably turn into a thread about him. He's not completely at fault there--dopers could just ignore his pontifications--but he's got that combination of unearned arrogance and error that people find irresistible to ridicule. It's annoying because that Jesmin thread (Which I missed) could have been interesting, and could even have contained reasonable critiques of the author, but instead it had to become a thread about SlackerInc. We had the Dio show (Cancelled) The Starving Artist show (Cancelled) and The Liberal show (On indefinite hiatus). Now we have the SlackerInc show.
  #29  
Old 12-29-2018, 04:00 PM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,651
Oh right this exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
A sadly naive choice of backpacking location by these Scandinavian women: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46632182

I would not take the risk of vacationing in a predominantly Muslim country, not even a relatively less violent one like Morocco. But if you do, at least stay in places where you have the protection of security forces nearby.
This guy's fucked up.
  #30  
Old 12-29-2018, 05:16 PM
Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13,886
Dude is just jerking off reading this thread.
  #31  
Old 12-29-2018, 06:01 PM
Manda JO is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Oh right this exists.



This guy's fucked up.
How did a thread about the Bell Curve get there?
  #32  
Old 12-29-2018, 06:33 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
How did a thread about the Bell Curve get there?
I actually did send a note to the mods because that looked like an irrelevant bump of that thread, IMO Slacker is now treating that thread as his personal blog so as to avoid being flagged more in other forums for his hate speech.
  #33  
Old 12-29-2018, 06:38 PM
Manda JO is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,408
Its weirder if it's just he thought a story about brown people preying on white people served to illustrate . . . something. With a splash of condescending victim blaming.
  #34  
Old 12-30-2018, 02:19 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,651
I reported it for hate speech. Hence my later apology to Miller.
  #35  
Old 12-30-2018, 06:20 AM
Ramira's Avatar
Ramira is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
He's a "show" poster. Every thread he posts in will inevitably turn into a thread about him.
He obviously seesk to turn such to him, he loves the attentions he gets and obviously loves throwing the 'controverial' (racist, bigoted, illogical) statements to get attention and doubtless he thinks he is being clever.

I am naming this 'the Slimy Slacker Slide' (like the Gish Gallop I learned of here) since he rarely bothers to actually try to defend or support (except by the sweeping asserting) anything and will jump quickly to the next claim which sends the earnest posters here racing to the next subject to correct.

Quote:
He's not completely at fault there--dopers could just ignore his pontifications--but he's got that combination of unearned arrogance and error that people find irresistible to ridicule. It's annoying because that Jesmin thread (Which I missed) could have been interesting, and could even have contained reasonable critiques of the author, but instead it had to become a thread about SlackerInc. We had the Dio show (Cancelled) The Starving Artist show (Cancelled) and The Liberal show (On indefinite hiatus). Now we have the SlackerInc show.
It is ingrained in this board and he plays it deliberately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
[Moroccan idiocy cited]


This guy's fucked up.
of coure he used the Slimy Slacker Slide to race on in bigotted assertions rather than acknowledge the statistics showing the Morocco having lower crime rates by far from his country - by using his bigotted logic it should be feared to visit the USA for the gun crimes, the racist crazies killing brown people - the stastics support that more than calling the Morocco 'relatively less violent'-but he was going for the pure provocation of course and Slimy Slacker Slid to another claim right after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Dude is just jerking off reading this thread.
Of course, he loves the attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
I actually did send a note to the mods because that looked like an irrelevant bump of that thread, IMO Slacker is now treating that thread as his personal blog so as to avoid being flagged more in other forums for his hate speech.
That he treats that as his personal blog to "challenge the PC" as he sees it has been obvious for at least two years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
Its weirder if it's just he thought a story about brown people preying on white people served to illustrate . . . something. With a splash of condescending victim blaming.
It matches his bigotry and level of thinking perfectly, plus he thought he would generate huge outrage and make all us monkies dance to his tune. The attention seeking for himself (probably he really does believe he is smart and clever, that is sincere) and a deliberate trolling - posting to the very edge with the aim to provoke - for responses is part of his game.
  #36  
Old 12-30-2018, 10:45 AM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
How did a thread about the Bell Curve get there?
It's been a while since I checked it out, but I remember that thread going through 3 total topic changes back when it was actually current. It was bizarre.
  #37  
Old 01-03-2019, 10:33 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,160
Slow Moving Vehicle and asahi (And the end of times must be near as I agree with him here ) dropped on that thread to point out what a Troll SlackerInc is.

I pointed to the mods that the Slacker is ramping up the hate speech trolling too.
  #38  
Old 01-04-2019, 06:57 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,310
Some prime idiocy from a few months ago -- Slacker thinks you with the face should recognize that he's showing her "true respect" by explaining to her the intellectual inferiority of black people: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...3#post20962943

What an excellent example of the kind of stupid that only can come from privelige. Without some solid privilege, that kind of stupid results in poverty, prison, or early death. But some quality privilege makes that kind of idiocy viable for middle class life, and in Slacker's case, fantasies of high intelligence.
  #39  
Old 02-23-2019, 06:18 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,160
Well, shoot; SlakerInc goes for the trifecta of ignorance, Not content with "Scientific" Racism and Climate Change denial (of the lukewarm kind), now in GD he adds anti-GMO nonsense to his roster.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...&postcount=186

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...&postcount=187

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...&postcount=189

Last edited by GIGObuster; 02-23-2019 at 06:20 PM.
  #40  
Old 02-23-2019, 06:45 PM
El_Kabong's Avatar
El_Kabong is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 15,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramira View Post
(excerpted) The attention seeking for himself (probably he really does believe he is smart and clever, that is sincere) and a deliberate trolling - posting to the very edge with the aim to provoke - for responses is part of his game.
Not that it compares to the examples of the SlackerInc Show exhibited here, but he's currently shitting up threads on The Orville in CS and on another board as well. He's felt it necessary to point out several times that he's simply gobsmacked that most other posters might disagree with him on what he thinks are the best episodes of the season.
  #41  
Old 02-23-2019, 07:16 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 41,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Not that it compares to the examples of the SlackerInc Show exhibited here, but he's currently shitting up threads on The Orville in CS and on another board as well. He's felt it necessary to point out several times that he's simply gobsmacked that most other posters might disagree with him on what he thinks are the best episodes of the season.
His taste in entertainment is shit. Awhile ago when we were talking about the amazing NK Jemisin Broken Earth series, we had folks who loved and hated the series talking respectfully. Then he came in and started shitting it up with such pompous ignorance that ultimately it got the thread locked.

Dude's a waste of space.
  #42  
Old 02-23-2019, 07:45 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,932
Absent photographic documentation, we really don’t have much idea how much space he actually takes up. I can see the argument for “waste of bandwidth,” though.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 02-23-2019 at 07:46 PM.
  #43  
Old 03-01-2019, 12:17 AM
Babale is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,844
In his thread about how the democrats should have rolled over and let republicans pass a restrictive abortion bill that's both redundant (because any protections it offers for babies born despite an attempted abortion are already covered by the 2002 act) and harmful (because it would prevent doctors from making the medical decision to provide comfort care instead of futile and painful attempts at resuscitation in lost cause cases, even ones unrelated to abortion, under pain of criminal penalty with no exception for doctor judgement) SlackerInc dropped the following "gem" in response to having the above explained to him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Maybe you and the others arguing with me in this thread can sort out whether this law would be completely redundant (and thus, obviously, harmless) or "cause real harm", and get back to me.
You see, SlackerInc thinks the democrats' stance on the issue is born out of a desire to win over radical feminist pro-abortionists or something, rather than an actual moral stance designed to prevent pain and suffering for everyone involved. According to him, this is just more evidence for America's moderates of how murderous the democrats are. I decide to try and explain, but Kimstu does a much better job before I can:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
If you had done even the most cursory research on this bill yourself, you would have easily found out that it's both: namely, any protections conferred by this bill are completely redundant because they already exist in other laws, while the harms caused by it could be quite damaging (in the rare cases that this bill would actually cover).

Here's an explanation of the harmful aspects:


I think it's kind of disgusting that you're trying to treat this issue as a mere game of "political optics", and are criticizing the Democrats who voted against this callous and malicious bill for not cynically going along with it to burden families and doctors with pointless suffering. ISTM it would be absolutely heartbreaking for the grieving mother of a non-viable fetus to know that her doctor is being forced to painfully resuscitate it after delivery only to let it painfully die, because otherwise the doctor could go to jail.

That's the sort of real-life consequences you're cavalierly ignoring when you whine that Democrats aren't being sufficiently "politically savvy" in voting against this bill.

(Where's the "spits contemptuously" smiley when we need one?)
SlackerInc ups the ante, necessitating this thread hop, because I can't respond to this drivel in Great Debates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I guess you better get ready to be even more contemptuous, because I am not moved by the scenario you lay out. In my view, it’s not up to the parents at that point. Moreover, I am virtually certain that most voters would agree with me. So just be contemptuous of the voters you want on your side, and see how that works out.

ETA: Even if I did believe the consequences would be unfortunate for a small number of families, they can get over it; whereas in many cases the people who are harmed when Republicans repeatedly win presidential elections and control Congress might not be able to get over it.
Bolding mine.

What the actual FUCK is wrong with you? Telling people in that position to "get over it" -- are you fucking kidding me? Do you have any idea what that is like, to lose a child like that? Because I'll tell you what, I don't. I can't even IMAGINE how painful that would be. But I know enough not to be so fucking flippant about it. And you want to make it MORE painful for them just so that some imaginary moderates who are single issue abortion voters yet not already Republican won't get the jimmies in a twist? You have no clue what you're talking about. Thankfully, you're wrong -- most Americans don't agree with you. Most Americans aren't monsters. Most Americans want to let professional doctors who know what the hell they're doing make the hard decisions they need to make sometimes.
  #44  
Old 03-01-2019, 01:14 AM
Gary Kumquat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 4,376
The most impressive thing about Slacker is he manages to be misinformed or flat out wrong on pretty much any topic he opines on. That's in combination to one of the shittiest moral codes I've ever seen someone admit to in public.

I started off thinking he was a troll, then swung to the stance that he was genuinely just an utter wanker, but with every fresh statement of utter nonsense or bigotry I'm having to revert to "Definitely doing this for effect".
  #45  
Old 03-01-2019, 01:17 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 19,557
I'm afraid I cannot support this Pitting.

I haven't done a comprehensive study of his posts. Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes disagree, sometimes his views seem eccentric or exaggerated. But he is a sincere good-spirited guy. Many of his posts focus on why 40% of the electorate votes against the Ds, despite that they are seemingly crazy to do so. I think he often hits the nail on the head. Pundits from the left often do apply excessive political correctness and turn off mainstream Americans. The Rs are doing so much damage with their present political power that electoral success needs to be the priority for Ds, even if that means toning down the rhetoric.

I look at some of the SlackerInc posts that some object to, and wonder what the fuss is about. Mentioning male circumcision in a thread about female genital mutilation? Inappropriate perhaps, but if read as a parenthetical comment rather than as intended to diminish the gravity of mutilation, then what's the objection?
  #46  
Old 03-01-2019, 01:19 AM
Babale is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,844
I agree, something about him screams disingenuousness

Eta - that was directed at Gary, I got disagreenja'd!

Last edited by Babale; 03-01-2019 at 01:21 AM.
  #47  
Old 03-01-2019, 01:23 AM
Babale is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,844
Septimus, toning down the rhetoric is one thing, but he is arguing that the democrats should have passed a bill that would do real harm, just because the republicans came up with a snazy name for it. Or negotiate the law to the point where it's useless because it doesn't do anything the old law didn't do, but then pass it anyways just to show that they're doing something.

Last edited by Babale; 03-01-2019 at 01:25 AM.
  #48  
Old 03-01-2019, 05:08 AM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 12,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
What the actual FUCK is wrong with you? Telling people in that position to "get over it" -- are you fucking kidding me? Do you have any idea what that is like, to lose a child like that? Because I'll tell you what, I don't. I can't even IMAGINE how painful that would be. But I know enough not to be so fucking flippant about it. And you want to make it MORE painful for them just so that some imaginary moderates who are single issue abortion voters yet not already Republican won't get the jimmies in a twist? You have no clue what you're talking about. Thankfully, you're wrong -- most Americans don't agree with you. Most Americans aren't monsters. Most Americans want to let professional doctors who know what the hell they're doing make the hard decisions they need to make sometimes.

Okay, how to count the stupid? (You asked for this.)

(1) In the scenario presented, the only difference (allegedly) was that the baby is going to die quickly, or after resuscitation efforts. Right? So it's a disturbing thing happening right before the baby dies, or a more calm but still very sad setup. This is not about the baby living or dying. (Or if it is, it's because the scenario is not honest and we really are talking about infanticide by inaction.) A little extra unpleasantness added to a deeply tragic and rare scenario is not worth walking right into a Republican trap that could have ripple effects through races up and down the ballot if Democrats get smeared with this kind of extremist image.

(2) Your implicit assertion is that the only way issues flip votes is...single issue voters? Uh, no. There ARE swing voters--look at the changing composition of our government over the past 20 years for evidence of that--but they operate based on a mosaic of influences, not just one. But this is a heavyweight within that mosaic.

(3) You seem to have completely disregarded the information I provided about Minnesota and other states to illustrate. How about some more polling data that completely destroys your last claim, about "most Americans". So put this in your pipe and smoke it:

Quote:
The poll also found overwhelming opposition to later-term abortions. By a nearly three-to-one margin — 71 percent to 25 percent — respondents said abortion generally should be illegal during the third trimester of pregnancy.

About 66 percent of adults said abortion should be banned after 20 weeks except to save the life of the mother, while 18 percent said abortion should be allowed any time until birth.

Sol you are sitting there among your 18 percent (probably higher, maybe much higher, where you live and especially among your social group), and generalizing your POV to the other 82 percent. That's not good politics.

The dangerous thing, though, is that while 18 percent is very far from a majority, it's not tiny either. It might be half of all Democrats, perhaps more of the activist wing of women who have risen up against Trump. So they (you) are influential to the party. But that also makes you a menace. Your extremism threatens, as I said in my OP, to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

You don't take strong stands on principle in politics when the public is three to one against you, not when the harm is to make a few grieving parents feel a little worse than they already feel. Not when the risk is getting years more of Donald fucking Trump (or Mike Pence). Get a grip.

ETA: I'm part of that 66 percent, BTW. But I'm going to stay a loyal Democrat regardless. You might well not find the same is true of others who aren't as attached to the party as I am.
__________________
SlackerInc on Twitter: http://twitter.com/slackerinc

Last edited by SlackerInc; 03-01-2019 at 05:10 AM.
  #49  
Old 03-01-2019, 05:18 AM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 12,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
But he is a sincere good-spirited guy.

Thank you! I really appreciate that. I certainly like to think of myself that way, even if I do live up to my ENTP "Debater" nature in relishing an underdog role and taking on all comers.

I know there are at least a few people who tacitly agree with you, as they have privately reached out to me, often on Twitter so I don't know who they are from the board and perhaps blow up their spots by saying something about it on the board, LOL. But it's brave to say out in front of everyone. They may gang up on you for daring to oppose their group "callout" shaming circle. Or maybe now they won't, just to prove me wrong.
__________________
SlackerInc on Twitter: http://twitter.com/slackerinc
  #50  
Old 03-01-2019, 05:47 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
But he is a sincere good-spirited guy.
You're aware he's an openly self-admitted racist, right?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017