Old 09-09-2018, 01:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
The teenager who made faces behind Trump's back at the Montana rally was questioned by the Secret Service for ten minutes after he was pulled off stage. Questioning the President of the United States (allegedly) is a crime now?
https://billingsgazette.com/news/gov...d.html?=sdfd#1
For some reason, the text in that article is 'greyed out' for me, all I got was the pic of the teenager looking 'bemused' (for want of a better word).

Hey, what happened to the girl who wiped her snotty nose on the flag...has there been any follow-up to that?
Old 09-09-2018, 02:10 AM

You need to answer the dumb survey question first (does anyone answer those things honestly? I just click a random button...). Then you get to see the article.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
You need to answer the dumb survey question first (does anyone answer those things honestly? I just click a random button...). Then you get to see the article.
Ahhh, thanks, I'll try that then.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
The teenager who made faces behind Trump's back at the Montana rally was questioned by the Secret Service for ten minutes after he was pulled off stage. Questioning the President of the United States (allegedly) is a crime now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billings Gazette
"They told us while we were sitting there, 'You guys have to keep clapping, you have to smile, you have to look enthusiastic,'" Linfesty said. "I had to be honest in my views."
Right. Remember, all you Trump-rally fools, you are nothing more than stage props in a PR exercise and don't you forget it.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Trump's DC liquor license is facing bad character challenges.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ushpmg00000003
Quote:
Five local religious leaders and two retired judges are challenging the liquor license Trump holds for his hotel in the District of Columbia, arguing that he doesn’t have the “good character” required by law to hold such a license.

By law, if the “true and actual owner of the establishment” serving alcohol  is not “of good character,” the liquor license can be suspended or revoked by the local Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.
There are ways to attack him.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The teenager who made faces behind Trump's back at the Montana rally
From the article, I gather Tyler Linfesty is a troll, but he's an amusing troll and his target is well deserving (indeed, in desperate need) of ridicule, so it's cool.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Trump's DC liquor license is facing bad character challenges.

There are ways to attack him.
That's a horribly vague law, way too open to abuse.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
That was probably the intent when the law was drawn up.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Right. Remember, all you Trump-rally fools, you are nothing more than stage props in a PR exercise and don't you forget it.
No shame in that. After all, in Donny Two-scoops' mind the whole fuckin' world is nought but a backdrop for the greatest story evah!: His life.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
I think this is true, but do you think that Obama or Hillary Clinton's staff would have done any different, if a member of the crowd in full view of the camera was rolling their eyes or making other dismissive faces in front of a national audience? In Obama's case, Rahm Emmanuel probably would have taken the kid out the back and started beating him with a rubber hose, Chicago style.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I hate these sorts of laws, particularly when they make it relatively easy for your enemies (whether political opponents or business competition) to put your livelihood in jeopardy. To be honest, I'm not even sure you should need a license to serve liquor in the first place.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:43 AM

You are far more trusting than I.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
I think this is true, but do you think that Obama or Hillary Clinton's staff would have done any different, if a member of the crowd in full view of the camera was rolling their eyes or making other dismissive faces in front of a national audience?
Maybe? Probably?

How they would have hypothetically behaved doesn't do much about how this staff behaved, nor am I a great fan of the Tu Quoque in any event.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:23 PM

Donald Trump- setting a new standard for fucking stupid. Here's the headline:
Ford Kills Plan to Sell Chinese-Made Cars in the U.S., and Trump Thinks It Means They're Going to Start Manufacturing Them Here Instead

“Ford has abruptly killed a plan to sell a Chinese-made small vehicle in the U.S. because of the prospect of higher U.S. Tariffs.” CNBC. This is just the beginning. This car can now be BUILT IN THE U.S.A. and Ford will pay no tariffs!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)

Stupid fucking King of the Republicans right there.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:35 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Donald Trump- setting a new standard for fucking stupid. Here's the headline:
Ford Kills Plan to Sell Chinese-Made Cars in the U.S., and Trump Thinks It Means They're Going to Start Manufacturing Them Here Instead

“Ford has abruptly killed a plan to sell a Chinese-made small vehicle in the U.S. because of the prospect of higher U.S. Tariffs.” CNBC. This is just the beginning. This car can now be BUILT IN THE U.S.A. and Ford will pay no tariffs!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)

Stupid fucking King of the Republicans right there.
Maybe Ford will apply for H2-B visas for a bunch of Chinese workers since they won't find Americans who will work for starvation wages.
Wanna bet Trump will scream about it?
Old 09-09-2018, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There are some checks and balances.
Quote:
The Alcoholic Beverage Control Board will hold a hearing on the challenge Wednesday, and a decision will be announced the following day, said Levy.

The board will decide whether to recommend a hearing to show cause to the attorney general of the District of Columbia, who will then decide what action to take.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
They were probably hoping to find out something incriminating about this kid so they could whine to their base that the poor, helpless yet also simultaneously awesome and winning tRump was being targeted by the so-called deep state or undocumented immigrants or some other group they don't like.

Last edited by Skypist; 09-09-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:29 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
To be honest, I'm not even sure you should need a license to serve liquor in the first place.
You might want to rethink that a bit.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I think this is true, but do you think that Obama or Hillary Clinton's staff would have done any different, if a member of the crowd in full view of the camera was rolling their eyes or making other dismissive faces in front of a national audience? In Obama's case, Rahm Emmanuel probably would have taken the kid out the back and started beating him with a rubber hose, Chicago style.
Sorry, don't do hypotheticals, especially hyperbolic hypotheticals. Maybe you could remind our gentle readers just how many times Rahm Emmanuel actually has beaten rally attendees with rubber hoses.

But it doesn't matter, because I was actually commenting on the Trump staffer's demand for the visual display of sufficient enthusiasm as a precondition of attendance. Here, I'll show the kid how to be enthusiastic. "Yay! I get to stare at Trump's doughy ass for and hour and a half! Yay!"

Last edited by El_Kabong; 09-09-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
Maybe? Probably?

How they would have hypothetically behaved doesn't do much about how this staff behaved, nor am I a great fan of the Tu Quoque in any event.
Don't be a fucking idiot.

I can't stand Trump or his administration, but this sort of PR management at televised speeches is standard operating procedure in politics. If everyone does it, and we know they do it, then it's stupid to focus on one particular side doing it. There are plenty of things to blast the Trump administration for; unfortunately, too many people focus on the unimportant shit like this.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I can't stand Trump or his administration, but this sort of PR management at televised speeches is standard operating procedure in politics.
Has the Obama or Hillary campaign ever been caught doing this, or admitted to it?
Old 09-09-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
Has the Obama or Hillary campaign ever been caught doing this, or admitted to it?
Didn't trump have enough rabid supporters at his rallies who could sit behind him and demonstrate sufficient enthusiasm? Why'd they need this kid in the first place?
Old 09-09-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
If I had the skills, I would remake that Sesame Street Phenomenon song with Anonymous all so I could watch Trump stroke out trying to say both anonymous and the name of the critter singing.
Good idea! I could see that working as a campaign commercial for some Democrat opposing a Trump-enabler incumbent....
Old 09-09-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
If I had the skills, I would remake that Sesame Street Phenomenon song with Anonymous all so I could watch Trump stroke out trying to say both anonymous and the name of the critter singing.
You mean the "Mahna Mahna" song? This is just one of many versions that showed up about 2 minutes after Trump's speech :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nchNwrLeRqU

Do Dooooo Do Do Doo, Do Doo Doo Doooo
Old 09-09-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
Didn't trump have enough rabid supporters at his rallies who could sit behind him and demonstrate sufficient enthusiasm? Why'd they need this kid in the first place?
They wanted a young person (actually three, he brought a couple of friends who got booted shortly after he did), similar to how they try to get that one black guy on camera whenever possible.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:22 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypist View Post
They were probably hoping to find out something incriminating about this kid so they could whine to their base that the poor, helpless yet also simultaneously awesome and winning tRump was being targeted by the so-called deep state or undocumented immigrants or some other group they don't like.
I believe they jumped at the chance to push someone around.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:54 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:

It wasn't Clinon or Obama who openly called for violence during the campaign, at least twice.

Last edited by Monty; 09-09-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Up until now, I have found myself thinking that it can't possibly get any crazier than it is already...Only to be proven wrong again and again.

I've decided to adopt a new mantra: This past week was about as crazy as average...That is to say, it was crazier than the week before but not as crazy as the coming week will be.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshore View Post
Up until now, I have found myself thinking that it can't possibly get any crazier than it is already...Only to be proven wrong again and again.

I've decided to adopt a new mantra: This past week was about as crazy as average...That is to say, it was crazier than the week before but not as crazy as the coming week will be.
As the French say, plus qu'hier, moins que demain, "more than yesterday, less than tomorrow."
Old 09-09-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
As the French say, plus qu'hier, moins que demain, "more than yesterday, less than tomorrow."
or as others say -

Same Shit, Different Day.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
or as others say -

Same Shit, Different Day.
The French saying (which is actually about love) is more accurate, because it's not the same shit every day, it's worse shit every day.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
The French saying (which is actually about love) is more accurate, because it's not the same shit every day, it's worse shit every day.
shit is shit - the only thing that can change is the quantity.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
They want people with all their teeth.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
They want people with all their teeth.
I cannot begin to say how much I love your post.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:43 AM

Quote:

Not true. There is absolutely a qualitative difference between dried up old shit (i.e. a rabbit's pellets or Ronald Reagan) and day-old beer diarrhoea.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Looking closely at the video, she appears to have something white in her hand which may be a tissue rather than the flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Suppose we scrambled his speaking so we couldn't get what he was saying
How would we tell the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want.
For a moment I thought you were talking about the two people behind him at his campaign rally.

Quote:
The Democratic National Committee have filed a criminal complaint with the DOJ against Brett Kavanaugh for perjury, and will file a lawsuit in the DC District Court on Monday. The presiding judge over the DC District Court is Merrick Garland.
https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2018/...-Who-ll-Review
The temptation for Garland to drop a few pointed comments during the case must be heavy.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Looking closely at the video, she appears to have something white in her hand which may be a tissue rather than the flag.
No, that's just a white stripe. You can see her hand under the fabric. Otherwise, how is she gripping the flag without the puckering being visible?
Old 09-10-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I yield to your vast experience.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Anybody at all feel any confidence in the current Federal Government's ability to handle a disaster of the magnitude that is about to be Hurricane Florence?

This is the why you elect competent leadership above everything.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
Anybody at all feel any confidence in the current Federal Government's ability to handle a disaster of the magnitude that is about to be Hurricane Florence?

I think they will handle it just as well as they handled Puerto Rico.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Any allegation that the government's hurricane response is lacking, innappropriate, unsufficient or plain non-existent is a liberal smear and fake news.

You pre-emptively heard it here first.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Don't be silly. These are [sarcasm] real citizens. [/sarcasm]
They'll screw it up for other reasons.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Don't be silly. These are [sarcasm] real citizens. [/sarcasm]
They'll screw it up for other reasons.
Oh. Like mostly white English speakers.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Hey, did you know Puerto Rico is in the middle of a big ocean, smart guy?
Old 09-10-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
Hey, did you know Puerto Rico is in the middle of a big ocean, smart guy?
WHAT? That's fake news!
Old 09-10-2018, 01:37 PM

Trump is rounding up Vietnamese refugees who have been here for sometimes twenty-five to thirty years and deporting them.
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/la-ol...tmlstory.html#
Old 09-10-2018, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

CNN is saying on its live update feed on Florence that Agent Orange will be briefed on the storm today by Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and FEMA Admininstrator Brock Long. I hope they remember to bring the flash cards.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansperson View Post
CNN is saying on its live update feed on Florence that Agent Orange will be briefed on the storm today by Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and FEMA Admininstrator Brock Long. I hope they remember to bring the flash cards.
The problem is that too many of the residents in the path Florence will follow sound just like Jefferson Beauregard Sessions. They could be ignored like the residents of Puerto Rico.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:33 PM

Did you hear? Hurricane Florence is a Cat 4 but no injuries or fatalities reported in the US. No displaced families or property damage at all! FEMA is doing a heck of a job! Greatest hurricane response ever!
Old 09-10-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Any allegation that the government's hurricane response is lacking, innappropriate, unsufficient or plain non-existent is a liberal smear and fake news.

You pre-emptively heard it here first.
There are still folks making apologetics for “heckuva job Brownie”,just sayin’.