Old 06-06-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
This boy's dream is that enough gets released before the election, so that even the Moderates/"Independents" of America can see that they really need to flip the house to drain the swamp.
This is my fantasy as well. And then, after that, I go on to be the Number One starting pitcher for the Cardinals and throw a perfect game against the Yankees in the World Series.

Of course I don't know what Mueller's thinking is, but my impression is that he's a total straight arrow and is going to release his results when they're good and ready, with very little thought given to how it affects the midterms. I hope that's soon, but by the standards of special counsel investigations, we're still early in the process.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
I think it's looking like Roger Stone will get pinched before it's Jared or Junior's turn.
Right now it looks like Jared is in a much better position than the other senior Trump people. As noted earlier, Jared recently had his security clearance restored, and commentary at the time suggested this meant that Mueller had nothing serious on him.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:02 AM

If anything, I would expect some of the bigger announcements to come out in August and September to avoid the whole 'October Surprise' scenario.

Hell, we don't even have to wait for him. Trump and Giuliani are falling all over themselves to implicate themselves in Obstruction of Justice.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
This boy's dream is that enough gets released before the election, so that even the Moderates/"Independents" of America can see that they really need to flip the house to drain the swamp.
I'm a left leaning moderate. Didn't really like Hillary but considering the alternative, I voted for her. There was no other choice. This whole mess has convinced me to vote a strait democratic ticket, and I will probably do so for quite a while. 'ef 'em. Anyone that supports Trump should be run out of town on a rail.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Ten minutes earlier:
Lies.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
With the important little wrinkle that when backed up to the cloud, your encrypted messages aren't encrypted anymore.

Oops.
Great comment in that Twitter feed: "It's like if Ollie North video taped himself during Iran-Contra, and thought that no one else could watch the tapes because he didn't rewind them. Grandpas and technology."
Old 06-06-2018, 01:10 PM

Ivanka had contact with Russians trying to set up a Putin/Trump meeting to expedite Trump tower in Moscow.

"In November 2015, Ivanka Trump told Cohen to speak with Klokov, according to the four sources. Cohen had at least one phone conversation with the weightlifter, they said. It is not known what the men discussed over the phone, but they exchanged a string of emails that are now being examined by congressional investigators and federal agents probing Russia’s election meddling.

In one of those emails, Klokov told Cohen that he could arrange a meeting between Donald Trump and Putin to help pave the way for the tower. Later, Cohen sent an email refusing that offer and saying that the Trump Organization already had an agreement in place. He said he was cutting off future communication with Klokov. Copying Ivanka Trump, the Russian responded in a final brusque message, in which he questioned Cohen’s authority to make decisions for the Trump Organization. Frustrated by the exchange, Ivanka Trump questioned Cohen’s refusal to continue communicating with Klokov, according to one of the sources."
Old 06-06-2018, 02:30 PM

Buzzfeed is putting the Paper of Record to shame these days. Who could have guessed?

For extra context, here's an article from three weeks ago, describing the long strange trip between the Trumps, Michael Cohen & Felix Sater in their attempts to build Trump Moscow, including the time Ivanka got to sit and spin in Putin's antique desk chair.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/anthonycorm...nK2#.fwbvL5XMK

This whole family was born rotten.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:49 PM

Mueller is asking witnesses to turn over the personal phones to examine for encrypted messages. Anyone want to bet he already has those messages and is just looking at who tried to destroy stuff?
Old 06-06-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Anyone want to bet he already has those messages and is just looking at who tried to destroy stuff?
Mueller has all of Cohen's phones, so ....
Old 06-06-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merneith View Post
...including the time Ivanka got to sit and spin in Putin's antique desk chair...
Had to read that real careful.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

The interesting thing about the Ivanka story isn't the details themselves - some bullshit artist tried to sell the hot rich blond access to Putin he likely didn't have, bfd - but the hint that she is competing with Cohen to bring Russians to meet her father, and Cohens ability to block her. This sort of rivalry is quite fascinating to me for some reason.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
Is this who y'all really want Mueller to be? Because I think I'd rather have him be truly, utterly impartial, methodically pursuing truth without any particular end in mind. He should be a prosecutor, not a political actor, and he should be aiming at uncovering truth and convicting criminals. He shouldn't be trying to exact justice through the electoral process.
This.

I'm clinging to the belief that Mueller is the last honest grown-up in this crappy mess. I want him to do his job thoroughly and impartially with no eye on the calendar WRT elections, rallies, impact on the administration or the beginning of hurricane season. So far, he seems to be doing that.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:45 PM

Every article citing something Mueller's group does has some version of "Mueller declined to comment". Mueller's spokesperson has the cushiest job in the world.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:51 PM

"Giuliani says Mueller’s team is ‘trying very, very hard to frame’ Trump"
https://wapo.st/2kSn98j
Quote:
President Trump’s lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani said Wednesday that the legal team of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III is “trying very, very hard to frame” the president.

Giuliani’s comments, at a conference in Israel, further escalate the efforts of Trump and his lawyers to discredit the ongoing investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, which is also examining whether Trump has obstructed justice.

Speaking at an investment conference in Tel Aviv hosted by the Globes newspaper, Giuliani echoed Trump’s claim that Mueller’s team is dominated by Democrats who are out to get him. And then Giuliani, a former federal prosecutor, suggested the team is going to extraordinary lengths to do so.
Can somebody just sit on this guy? Maybe we can find some ginormous, hulking football player why would be willing. Just for a few days. Okay, weeks.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:39 PM

Tonight on his show, Hannity told Mueller witnesses to destroy their phones and SIM cards.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:04 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

Quote:
Tonight on his show, Hannity told Mueller witnesses to destroy their phones and SIM cards.
No. Really? That sounds like he's advising destroying evidence. And ONCE AGAIN why do you want to do that if you are innocent?

During any sort of socio-political conversation, I have started to ask people if they watch Fox News. If they say yes, I change the subject.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Is that legal? Can't they have a Federal agent walk up behind him while he's on the air, and cuff him?
Old 06-06-2018, 11:22 PM

No joke. Twice.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:26 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steatopygia View Post
No. Really? That sounds like he's advising destroying evidence. And ONCE AGAIN why do you want to do that if you are innocent?

During any sort of socio-political conversation, I have started to ask people if they watch Fox News. If they say yes, I change the subject.
"Your Honor, I know the Mueller team fabricated the evidence against me because I destroyed the real evidence on the advice of a moron on TV."

Oops.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steatopygia View Post

Quote:
Is that legal? Can't they have a Federal agent walk up behind him while he's on the air, and cuff him?
Quote:
No joke. Twice.
No joke. Video at the 2nd link; scroll down.
Quote:
He went on to acknowledge this was “bad advice” before repeating it all again step-by-step.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-06-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:01 AM

The “hard drives” on your phones? What century is he living in?
Old 06-07-2018, 12:04 AM

Here's the complete quote for those who don't want to sit thru the video and hear it from his mouth:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Hannity
If I advised them to follow Hillary Clinton’s lead, delete all your emails and then acid-wash your emails and hard drives on the phones, then take your phones and bash them with a hammer to little itsy bitsy pieces, use BleachBit, remove the sim cards and then take the pieces and hand them over to Robert Mueller and say, ‘Hillary Rodham Clinton, this is equal justice under the law."
ETA: Wait: isn't he on the hook because he was using Cohen as his attorney? Did he just tell his co-conspirators to destroy evidence, using Fox News to reach them? What liability does Fox News have if he did?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-07-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Hannity
...hand them over to Robert Mueller and say, ‘Hillary Rodham Clinton, this is equal justice under the law."
Hmm, that's odd. I thought that what Hillary Clinton did was bad.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...If I advised them to follow Hillary Clinton’s lead....
"If". Conditional trapdoor with bailout attachment. Weasel words, wriggle room, home free.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merneith View Post
Buzzfeed is putting the Paper of Record to shame these days. Who could have guessed?

For extra context, here's an article from three weeks ago, describing the long strange trip between the Trumps, Michael Cohen & Felix Sater in their attempts to build Trump Moscow, including the time Ivanka got to sit and spin in Putin's antique desk chair.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/anthonycorm...nK2#.fwbvL5XMK

This whole family was born rotten.

My takeaway from this story is that Trump’s family and associates were running crazy trying to suck up to Putin and Russian banks in order to get the deal done, and Mr Stable Genius Art of the Deal ruins it all with a 9 word tweet.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:39 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Hmm, that's odd. I thought that what Hillary Clinton did was bad.
They only claim it was bad so as to have justification to do the same thing. Apparently, their moms never asked them the famous friends jumping off a cliff question.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
They only claim it was bad so as to have justification to do the same thing. Apparently, their moms never asked them the famous friends jumping off a cliff question.
Aye; this is their MO: anything they do that is bad is justified because someone on the other side did it OR WOULD DO IT IF THEY HAD THE CHANCE.

I called that bullshit out just yesterday in Elections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver lining View Post
As I have said before, this was no treaty and Iran signed nothing. Now there is news that Obama told the Congress and public one thing, and did another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Well, I guess to conservatives that proves that lying is okay. Right?
Quote:
I didn't say I was okay with it.

What I am saying is that IMO you and many others will try and use this to justify your support of Trump's lies (and the lies of those around him), with exactly the logic I proffered in my earlier post.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Aye; this is their MO: anything they do that is bad is justified because someone on the other side did it OR WOULD DO IT IF THEY HAD THE CHANCE.
Or more commonly "did something entirely different, but with just enough in common that we can ignore all the nuances and claim they did exactly the same thing."
Old 06-07-2018, 12:45 PM

Peters re Hannity

"...Sean Hannity really believes it. The others [at Fox] are smarter..."
Old 06-07-2018, 03:25 PM

Paul Manafort's lawyer has got himself a lawyer.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1J22LJ
Old 06-07-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Paul Manafort's lawyer has got himself a lawyer.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1J22LJ
I'm starting to wonder if I need a lawyer at this point.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Depends. You married?
Old 06-07-2018, 04:04 PM

Well look under your seats! YOU get a lawyer, and YOU get a lawyer, and YOU get a lawyer...!
Old 06-07-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Depends. You married?
Ummm, no. But I am in a bit of a committed relationship at the moment.

Thanks for asking though.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Well look under your seats! YOU get a lawyer, and YOU get a lawyer, and YOU get a lawyer...!
Huh. I wonder if I'll just get a Common. If I get a Rare, I can probably get good money for him.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
I'm starting to wonder if I need a lawyer at this point.
Everybody on the Dope probably needs a lawyer. Just to be safe.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 06-07-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:37 PM

"Lawyers and pardons for everyone!"
Old 06-08-2018, 03:57 AM

It's lawyers all the way down. Again.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:18 AM

That's weird. I posted the exact same (yes, lame) lawyer joke that Gyrate did, but earlier yesterday, in this very thread. I assumed he was just riffing off of me...

It ain't here. ???

Last edited by John DiFool; 06-08-2018 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
That's weird. I posted the exact same (yes, lame) lawyer joke that Gyrate did, but earlier yesterday, in this very thread. I assumed he was just riffing off of me...

It ain't here. ???
I remember seeing it (hence the "again") but couldn't find it either. Spooky.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Everybody on the Dope probably needs a lawyer. Just to be safe.
Chico Marx in At the Circus: "You know what I say. Whenever you got business trouble the best thing to do is to get a lawyer. Then you got more trouble, but at least you got a lawyer."
Old 06-08-2018, 08:27 AM

"You can't fool me, there's no Sanity Clause...!"
Old 06-08-2018, 11:02 AM

appropriate -

https://www.facebook.com/berkeleybre...type=3&theater

(sorry for facebook link,but its not published outside of that yet)
Old 06-08-2018, 11:26 AM

As a gag, someone here with a little of bit of craftsmanship and artistic skill should go dedicate some time to making some sort of Matryoshka doll, with all of the Trump/Manafort/Cohen lawyers as the individual pieces. It just might be a hit on someone's Etsy shop.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:17 PM

New charges filed against Manafort today and a co-conspirator, Konstantin Kilimnik.
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1005149461042130944
Old 06-08-2018, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Manafort's life may have gotten a bit more difficult...

Quote:
BREAKING : Mueller files 3rd superseding indictment against Paul Manafort, which adds Russian Konstantin Kilimnik as a defendent.

Both charged with conspiracy to obstruct justice and obstruction of justice:
So, if Manafort is pardoned, will Trump also pardon his Russian co-defendent?

Ninja'd...

Last edited by jasg; 06-08-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:50 PM

A federal judge has ruled that Mueller must turn over the names of all of the unnamed individuals in the latest Manafort indictment.
http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...ls-in-manafort

What does a superseding indictment mean, by the way?

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; 06-12-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
What does a superseding indictment mean, by the way?
It comes after, and replaces, the indictment or indictments filed earlier. (It's been changed in some way--new charges and such.)

Note that the judge ruled that the names must be turned over to Manafort:

Quote:
Judge Amy Berman Jackson ordered Mueller to turn over the names of several individuals and organizations, including European politicians and other Manafort contacts, to Manafort’s attorneys
(your source)

Nice for Manafort.

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609

Last edited by Sherrerd; 06-12-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Note that the judge ruled that the names must be turned over to Manafort
That is kind of SOP, though. Manafort is entitled to defend himself, and his defense is entitled to see what he is being attacked with. Surprise witnesses and unexpected evidence exist in Hollywood and on TV, real courts not so much.