View Poll Results: Do you eat honey regularly?
Yes, very regularly 16 15.84%
Occasionally 44 43.56%
Rarely 30 29.70%
Don't like honey 11 10.89%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2019, 07:04 AM

Pull up a chair and lets discuss our love of honey.

My grandfather was a commercial honey producer. He sold it by the barrel for cough medicine in the 40's & 50's. He didn't sell his hives and equipment until the mid 60's.

I grew up eating raw honey. Honeycomb was like chewing gum to me.

I still prefer raw honey, but will eat pasteurized honey too. I found a quart bottle of raw honey at Sam's Club a few months ago. My favorite evening desert is two slices of buttered toast with honey.

I use it to sweeten oatmeal and cream of wheat cereal for breakfast.

Do you love honey and how do you use it?

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-17-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Despite getting my first hive in elementary school, I don't consume much. Usually in tea, which I don't usually sweeten, and which I don't drink often.

But when I have an upper respiratory infection, it feels good.

Last edited by Ruken; 08-17-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

I have one to two cups of tea a day, usually with a spoonful in each (unless it's mint tea; mint and honey just don't work together). I'd say that probably counts as "often".
Old 08-17-2019, 08:21 AM

There was a honey fad in the late 70's. There were a lot of cookbooks with recipes modified with honey. They're probably in garage sales now.

For awhile some younger mothers stopped buying white sugar. Several of my friends wives baked bread and rolls with honey.

It was claimed that honey was better for you than white sugar. It has been disproven but I still love honey and prefer it over white sugar.

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-17-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

I love the taste of honey but I'm such a sloppy eater I can't eat it without getting something sticky I'd rather not be. So, make it "occasionally."

I read of a study by the Honey Producers Association or whatever it's called where research was done about substituting honey for sugar in baked goods. When honey was used 100% cakes and such came out wonderfully moist and had a delicious flavor -- not that they'd be prejudiced about that. The problem is, honey's acidic and too much acid interferes with rising, whether yeast or baking powder. Furthermore, how acidic a batch is varies. In their labs they could measure the amount acidity and add the proper amount to alkali to counter it, a technique not available in your usual home kitchen.

After further research, they determined that the honey could substitute up to 25% without causing problems.

Last edited by DesertDog; 08-17-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:14 AM

Last time I had honey was a few years ago. We bought some lavender-flavoured honey from a lavender farm. It was quite nice on toast. But in general my feeling is that having honey on toast is like having brown sugar on toast -- it's basically just a way to get sugar into my body (which I probably don't need more of).
Old 08-17-2019, 03:02 PM

I love honey but hardly ever use it. I have 3 or 4 jars of different varieties that I've accumulated, more than I'll ever use up in my lifetime. The jars always crystallize. I heat it up to liquify it, and then by the time I use it again, it's already re-crystallized. I'll probably leave them to my children in my will.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:09 PM

Rarely, but one of my favorite memories was having honeycomb with honey. YUM!

(Where can I get some?)
Old 08-17-2019, 03:47 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I friggin love honey! But along with maple syrup and orange juice it has to be a “very very rarely treat” for me due to T2 diabetes.

My favorite way to eat it is on a peanut butter sandwich. The way it slightly hardens on the bread is magnificent.

I don’t know of good honey. I just get the cheap stuff in the bear bottle.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
I friggin love honey! But along with maple syrup and orange juice it has to be a “very very rarely treat” for me due to T2 diabetes.

My favorite way to eat it is on a peanut butter sandwich. The way it slightly hardens on the bread is magnificent.

All honey is good honey!
Old 08-17-2019, 03:55 PM

I once made ginger snaps with honey in lieu of molasses and they turned out great.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Only for medical reasons, adding it to tea along with lemon juice and cayenne to combat colds.

I’m not big on sweets in general.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:22 PM

I really like honey but I chose rarely. I tend to buy a small jar because of a recipe or something, but then it tends to get forgotten. It just doesn't seem to be something in my normal rotation and I often end up tossing out a crystallized jar.

But, thanks to this thread... I baked biscuits this morning for biscuits and gravy, and had some left over. I just reheated one, added some butter and found some local clover honey that I bought a few weeks ago. A very nice snack.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:49 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post

Costco has a three pack of Kirkland organic raw honey bear bottles (4.5 lbs total) for about $11.

Last edited by running coach; 08-17-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:46 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Costco has a three pack of Kirkland organic raw honey bear bottles (4.5 lbs total) for about $11.
Cool but I can't (shouldn't) really eat honey so I don't have a need for 4.5 lbs of it.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Besides, you’re supposed to eat locally-produced honey. Helps keep the hay fever at bay.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

I like it very much in tea, but I rarely drink tea (usually only when I am sick). Sometimes I'll make sun tea in the summer, though, and will add it to that when I make it. I also have a few desserts and breads I make that call for it. Back when I did home brewing, I'd make mead, which of course uses quite a lot. It was fun to experiment with the different types of honey available. I found that tupelo honey worked quite well and I also made a small batch with Tasmanian leatherwood honey that was interesting. Orange blossom honey is very nice as well. These days my only honey source is my neighbor, who has hives. I've wondered with the recent boom in non-rural people keeping hives if there should be a new category of honey - 'wildflower + (sub) urban plantings'?
Old 08-17-2019, 06:25 PM

I didn't participate in the poll because I drink honey more than I ever eat it. I love drinking mead (sometimes spelled meade) and have enjoyed making it on occasion as well. Finally a meadery opened not too far from where I am located - hoping this becomes "a thing" in the same vein as the craft beer industry.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
Rarely, but one of my favorite memories was having honeycomb with honey. YUM!

(Where can I get some?)
Amazon and eBay have honeycomb.

I'd prefer a local bee keeper. Takes some looking but there's a lot of hobbyists that keeps hives.

Some hobbyists have listings on eBay. I'd look there first.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesdayweld View Post
I didn't participate in the poll because I drink honey more than I ever eat it. I love drinking mead (sometimes spelled meade) and have enjoyed making it on occasion as well. Finally a meadery opened not too far from where I am located - hoping this becomes "a thing" in the same vein as the craft beer industry.
I don't know about elsewhere, but in my area, it certainly has. There are several within a convenient drive for me.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:20 PM

I likes me some honey, and it is a very minor dream of mine to one day have the pleasure of sampling some actual real honeycomb full of honey.

Peanut butter and honey sandwiches eaten over the sink, hot toast with butter and honey, cold bread with butter and honey, but not in hot beverages, tastes weird and burned, oatmeal with honey, Yup I'm there. Crystalized honey? Delicious snack! Mead is ok, but woo boy be careful drinking it (my bil makes mead and keeps bees, his mead is smooth and powerful because it is so delicious).
But as much as I like honey and prefer it over other sugars, I only indulge occasionally as I tend to go over board.
I very rarely buy honey in bears any more and always read the ingredients list, cause if it has an ingredients list is not real honey, something Ive seen mostly on the bear shaped bottles.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

I made my one and only honey "discovery" last weekend. I have been using a really nice orange blossom honey that comes in a tall, narrow jar. Usually I just thinly drizzle it straight from the jar onto the buttered toast or muffin and don't spread it with the knife. While waiting for the muffin to toast I realised that if I put the butter in the jar and whipped it into the honey it would be easier to get the last of it out. And only one spreading required.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
I made my one and only honey "discovery" last weekend. I have been using a really nice orange blossom honey that comes in a tall, narrow jar. Usually I just thinly drizzle it straight from the jar onto the buttered toast or muffin and don't spread it with the knife. While waiting for the muffin to toast I realised that if I put the butter in the jar and whipped it into the honey it would be easier to get the last of it out. And only one spreading required.
My mother used to make "honey butter" by mixing honey and butter in a jar and using it as a spread. I don't recall the proportions, but it was really good.

Personally, the only thing I use honey for is to drizzle a bit into a jar of peanut butter and eat them together with a spoon. The sweetness of the honey goes well with the PB.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
All honey is good honey!
Remember...always eat your honey!
Old 08-17-2019, 10:03 PM

I'm no honey-hater. I'm massively in favour of bees. But it's far too sweet for me.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Besides, you’re supposed to eat locally-produced honey. Helps keep the hay fever at bay.
Come now, you can't just drop this and expect no-one to notice.

Cite?

(IIRC, there's no measurable benefit from consuming local honey for allergy sufferers...)
Old 08-18-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesdayweld View Post
I'm jealous. I enjoy mead one a year at our local RenFaire but when I looked for it at Total Wines the only offering was the same brand the Faire used (Chaucer) and was $25 for a smaller than standard bottle. I figure there's got to be a better brand than Chaucer, so I declined to buy it.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Oh there's tons of mead out there now, but mostly smaller outfits IME. Some do mail-order. I've ordered from these folks: http://enlightenmentwines.com/

These folks are in stores all around DC: https://charmcitymeadworks.com/
Old 08-18-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by araminty View Post
Come now, you can't just drop this and expect no-one to notice.

Cite?

(IIRC, there's no measurable benefit from consuming local honey for allergy sufferers...)
Yeah no it's bogus woo. People buying our honey always ask about it and I tell them that even if it were true, most people are allergic to pollen from plants that bees don't visit.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
Oh there's tons of mead out there now, but mostly smaller outfits IME. Some do mail-order. I've ordered from these folks: http://enlightenmentwines.com/

These folks are in stores all around DC: https://charmcitymeadworks.com/
It just occurred to me that maybe some of our locals are shipping out now too, so I'll add those to the above:

HoneyGirl Meadery

Starrlight Mead
Old 08-19-2019, 11:43 AM

I eat it occasionally. I often sweeten tea with it (although I don't drink tea at home all that often). And hot water with honey and lemon is a great home remedy for sore throats and congestion. But it's not an everyday thing.

I always try to buy my honey from a vendor at the farmer's market. He's got several different varieties. Star thistle is my favorite. But he's also got clover, a general wildflower one, and of course since this is California he has orange blossom.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:48 AM

Don't use it that much. I have a regular, free supply, as my MIL lives out in rural Indiana and keeps bees. She used to bring us a jar every time she came to visit, but she quickly realized we were just stacking them up it in the cupboard.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

I recently discovered Tupelo honey. It's made specifically from nectar from the Tupelo gum tree blossoms, which grow along the Chipola and Apalachicola rivers of northwest Florida. It has a wonderfully unique flavor and won't granulate. If you're going to buy some, I'd stay away from Amazon, as much of what is sold there is not the real deal, being cut with corn syrup and the like. I buy mine from Lanier & Sons, who have been doing this for over 100 years.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:56 PM

Aside from using a little in drinks and things, I never really know what to do with it. Which is unfortunate, as I keep bees, and kinda need to use up the honey I have, because I'm planning on harvesting what will probably be another 30-40lb on Sunday.

Could try mead, but I'm open to other suggestions for what to do with about 2-3lb of crystallised honey.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Rarely. I keep a bottle around for recipes (salad dressing, wing glaze) but I tend to no care for the end results, too sweet. The bear bottle I have is probably at least 5 years old.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:30 PM

I keep misreading the thread title as "Pull up a chair and lets discuss our love of money"
Old 08-22-2019, 06:59 PM

I don't like honey. Its taste in innocuous enough, but the mouth feel is disgusting. I only ever eat it out of desperation when ill.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:00 PM

I love honey!

I usually have two or three flavors of locally produced raw honey on hand. At the moment I have wildflower and star thistle. I just finished off the jar of buckwheat...so dark and yummy!

I love it on stuff like cornbread and biscuits. I will mix some into some peanut butter and eat it just like that. Sometimes I just eat it out of the jar.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:05 PM

I like honey, I just rarely eat it. I especially like basswood honey and have a goal to try sourwood honey. Sourwood isn't local so I'd have to order it online. But because I have a ton of maple syrup available, I haven't been able to justify ordering up a fancy honey.