View Poll Results: Lame or not?
Lame, because reasons. 31 30.39%
Not lame! Why shouldn't I display my fanship? 71 69.61%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2019, 10:23 PM

Wearing a shirt for the band/artist you're about to see: yea or nay?

Went to see Iron Maiden last weekend. I wore a Slayer shirt, Mr. Rilch wore his Metallica shirt, and Friend wore...a polo shirt. Meanwhile, the arena was rife with Iron Maiden shirts, way more then we saw of shirts for the headliners at other recent shows. I mean, you always see some, but it was especially prevalent at this show.

I first started noticing it when we stopped to eat beforehand (at a place close to the venue). "But you never wear a shirt for the act you're going to see!" I said. "You wear a shirt for another act in the same genre." The waiter agreed with me, but Mr. Rilch and Friend did not. That said, the guy in line ahead of us with a shirt from the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son tour gets a mulligan; if he bought it then and can still fit into it, good for him. Still, I'unno. What say you?
Old 08-20-2019, 10:34 PM

I think it's kinda weird to wear a shirt for a different band than the one you're going to see. I get that it's a thing; it's just always seemed strange. Like wearing a basketball jersey to a baseball game; did you get your plans confused when you got dressed?
Old 08-20-2019, 10:35 PM

I think it's lame... kind of trying too hard. In a "Oh, Bruce, I'm a huuuuge fan!" way.

But what's even lamer is trying to make rules for other people to follow. Now, rules for yourself, I'm fine with. F'rinstance, I don't wear my Wisconsin Weiner shirt (has a bratwurst on it) until I'm far from the Dairy State and want to show my loyalty. I don't wear my Happydale High (nickname for my college) shirt when I'm at a party at the school.

But wouldn't you be cooler if nothing anyone else was doing was bothering you?

Hmmmm?

Last edited by digs; 08-20-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:44 PM

It's like buttoning the bottom button on your vest - there's no actual reason not to do it, except it makes you look like a rube to everyone who knows it's just not done.

Last edited by zombywoof; 08-20-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:51 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Meh. I'm all for wearing an archived shirt to show the recent converts what's what. But a current or semi-current shirt? Iffy.

To use Springsteen as an example, if he hit LA tomorrow I'd wear my "Born In the USA" tour shirt if I wanted to look arriviste. For cool points I'd have to wear my "No Nukes" shirt. Or a Disciples of Soul shirt.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:58 PM

I had a white t-shirt with the Stones tongue throughout my whole nineties of concert going, and it served me well from Guns'n'Roses over Townes Van Zandt to Rage Against The Machine. Always found it uncool to wear a shirt of the performing act, and I always like to check out the different shirts of audience members, sometimes listing concert tours which I attended. It makes for a more diverse audience (I'm not a fan of uniformity).
Old 08-20-2019, 11:03 PM

If you're wearing a T-shirt advertising the current tour, that seems kind of lame. As in "Here is where I am right now -- in case I get lost, I can just check my T-shirt!"

A T-shirt advertising an old tour wouldn't bother me, though.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:18 PM

If the people on stage have no problem wearing their own shirts, why should the audience behave differently?
Old 08-20-2019, 11:22 PM

Hell, yeah. Why not? I'll wear a shirt for the act I'm seeing and I'll ignore any sideways looks from the people around me. Who says it's a rule? I never heard of it.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:27 PM

Absolutely I would wear a shirt for the band playing! It seems completely crazy to me that anyone would think otherwise.

I saw Queen + Adam Lambert two weeks ago and practically everyone at MSG had on some type of Queen related shirt. It was awesome!
Old 08-21-2019, 12:25 AM

Doesn't matter to me what the attendees wear, but it sticks in my craw when a performer wears one of their own tees. No rational reason. Just does.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:34 AM

I wouldn't do it, because I know of the stigma, but I honestly don't see the problem with it.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC View Post
If the people on stage have no problem wearing their own shirts, why should the audience behave differently?
Of course they have no problem wearing them. They're the ones selling them.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:22 AM
Charter Member

I've never worn concert tees. Not even as a teen.

But if I were to wear one, I can't think of a better possible time than at the freak'n concert.

Count me in as another one who has never heard of this rule. And I worked as a ticket scalper for a decade.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:55 AM

It's kinda like when you're traveling. Never wear a shirt advertising the location you're in.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:37 AM
Charter Member

I think sports fans missed the memo.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

When I went to see Iggy Pop when I was young, I was in a plain shirt, but I wore a Patti Smith Easter button over my heart. Just because.

Another time I went to a Talking Heads concert, and saw somebody in the audience showed up in full Devo yellow hazmat suit & goggles.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:07 AM

If you just bought it at the merch table, go ahead and wear it. Otherwise not.

Slightly related, my sister wore a Pope John Paul II shirt to a Metallica show last century. She was was the undisputed winner of that show from the responses she got.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I've never worn concert tees. Not even as a teen.

But if I were to wear one, I can't think of a better possible time than at the freak'n concert.
Since I view concert shirts as a way to say "I was at this concert, ain't I cool?", I'd say a better place is anywhere but the concert where no one is going to be impressed or surprised that you're at the concert.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post
"But you never wear a shirt for the act you're going to see!" I said. "You wear a shirt for another act in the same genre."
That's always been my POV. Likewise, I never wear a bar's t to that bar.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
This is Ginger Baker wearing a shirt commemorating the reunion concert series he's playing at.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
LOL, I wondered if the Geddy Lee "Rash" shirt would be in there...
Old 08-21-2019, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Did you see the Spinal Tap one?

How far down the list does the rule go? What if it's a local band that I have a shirt of, can I wear it to see them? Cause I'm going to a band that I haven't seen in 10+ years, really small local band and I'm thinking on wearing their shirt.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Since I view concert shirts as a way to say "I was at this concert, ain't I cool?", I'd say a better place is anywhere but the concert where no one is going to be impressed or surprised that you're at the concert.

But wouldn't they be impressed if the concert tee was like 10 or more years old?
Old 08-21-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
But wouldn't they be impressed if the concert tee was like 10 or more years old?
Maybe. But you said "at the freakin' concert" which I parsed as "At the concert the shirt is commemorating". My mistake if I misunderstood you.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:32 AM

"Don't be that guy".
Old 08-21-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Thanks! I was half remembering this all last night and couldn't remember where it was from, just the "Don't be that guy" line.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Maybe. But you said "at the freakin' concert" which I parsed as "At the concert the shirt is commemorating". My mistake if I misunderstood you.
Oh okay. If that is what everybody is talking about, then yeah, lame.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Oh okay. If that is what everybody is talking about, then yeah, lame.
I think the OP was referring to any band shirt for that group. I agree with the midpoint that an appropriately vintage and worn shirt can work but a crisp new shirt (especially for that tour) feels a bit lame.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Count me in as another one who has never heard of this rule. And I worked as a ticket scalper for a decade.
Yeah, this "rule" is utterly bizarre. There's no better place to wear a band shirt than when you're actually seeing that band!

If I had to give it any thought at all, which until now it never even crossed my mind, wearing a shirt for a different band in the same genre comes across as "I like similar music, but I'm not really a big fan of the group playing."
Old 08-21-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
What's the story on that? I'm a RUSH fan, but don't know anything about the RASH shirt.

I also didn't know about not wearing a band's shirt to one of their concerts. Never heard that "rule".

Last edited by Orwell; 08-21-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:30 AM

I'm fine with it, and I'm the guy who haaaaaates is when runners where the race shirt during a 5k or whatever.

To me it's a way of showing off your loyalty. I have an Apocalyptica shirt I got way back in 2008 from one of their shows and wear it to all their current shows because when I see someone else with the shirt on I can talk about the tour.

Plus, what better way to prove to the newbies that I was a fan of the band before they were cool?!?!
Old 08-21-2019, 10:32 AM

As far as I'm aware, the rule used to be you didn't wear the shirt of the band you are going to see.

But somewhere along the line the rule seems to have changed. I wore a Robert Plant T shirt to a Kings of Leon gig - somebody actually stopped me and told me I was wearing the wrong T shirt. Huh?

I do think T shirt for the tour you are at is a bit lame. An old T shirt is way, way cooler. Or something related. This is easier for some artists than others - I've worn a Third Man Records T shirt to a Jack White gig, a Jack White T shirt to a Raconteurs gig, and a White Stripes T shirt to a Dead Weather gig.

That can be a minefield, too, though. I did shake my head at people wearing a Pink Floyd Division Bell or Pulse T shirt to see Roger Waters......
Old 08-21-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scougs View Post

That can be a minefield, too, though. I did shake my head at people wearing a Pink Floyd Division Bell or Pulse T shirt to see Roger Waters......
Ouch.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:07 PM

C'mon, if I was trying to establish a rule for everyone else, I wouldn't have posted this as a poll; I would have said "Resolved: Thou shalt not wear a band shirt..." I just wanted to know what others thought.

Edward the Head*, I agree about wearing the shirt of a lesser-known band. I have a friend who's the drummer in a band that's starting to get some notice, and I wear that band's shirt to their shows, because I want to show that they have a fanbase. Scougs, there's a loophole on shirts for the current tour too. One woman we saw before the show at the restaurant was wearing a shirt from this tour, indicating that she'd already seen Maiden in a nearby city, and was now seeing them again. That would go along with the "Why shouldn't I show my fanship?" reasoning.

Just that, when I was in my twenties, I would never have done this, for fear of looking like a fanatic. Of course, back then, I hardly ever got to see the same act twice...

*And does that name reference what I think it does?
Old 08-21-2019, 12:17 PM

My philosophy is this: Wear whatever you want and don't worry about looking cool, because if you have to worry that you're cool, then you ain't.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post

*And does that name reference what I think it does?
It does yeah. And I wore a Maiden t-shirt once to their concert, but I was also wearing an Eddie mask so it kinda worked. Now a days I usually just wear a Motorhead shirt, can't exactly show to one of those shows any more.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:57 PM

I just ordered a new Iron Maiden t-shirt on Monday, and it immediately came to mind when I saw the thread title...and then Rilchiam was talking about Maiden!

I definitely remember a time when I would never have worn a (for example) Maiden shirt to a Maiden show, but at some point it seems like that "rule" softened. The last time I saw them I wore my "stealth" Maiden shirt: a black polo with a yellow Eddie-like smiley face on the chest, and a small band logo on one of the sleeves. That was a few years ago, and it was perfect. Unfortunately that was also the last time it fit, but I keep it in my closet for that day when I've magically lost weight without trying.

Anyway, these days I think I would wear an artist's shirt to their show -- only, as others have mentioned, not a shirt for the current tour/event. I can't imagine wearing another band's shirt to a concert unless there was some kind of connection (e.g., wearing a Dash Rip Rock shirt to a Cowboy Mouth show). But at some point I also stopped buying concert shirts, so there's that.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:21 PM

A shirt? At a Metal show? Pfft!
Old 08-21-2019, 01:38 PM

I hadn’t heard of this, but it reminds me of a similar trend a few people have demonstrated to me about wearing a different university logo shirt/etc than the one you are attending.

Both seem kind of rooted in insecurity and self consciousness.

The college one is maybe slightly more absurd, because unless you’ve transferred there probably had to be a lot of planning involved to cultivate an aura of uninvolved. Which seems like trying hard to make it seem like you’re not trying.

But the concert one is kind of sad. It’s like sitting still in your chair to prove you’re not enjoying the music too much. So why are you there then?
Old 08-21-2019, 02:34 PM

I've never seen the point of wearing a shirt to proclaim your loyalty to anything - a musical act, a sports team, or whatever. The unspoken assumption is that the general public gives a rat's ass what some random stranger is a fan of. No one cares, and no one's paying attention to you.

I liken it to those nausea-inducing stick figure families on the backs of minivans. Or any bumper sticker, for that matter. Is the person behind you supposed to be impressed by your loyalty to political party X or your love of dog breed Y? I dun geddit. (I swear to Og I've seen bumper stickers that say "I LOVE MY HUSBAND!" Um, yeah...? Isn't that supposed to go without saying? Who are you trying to convince?)

Last year I attended a Pink concert. (I refuse to spell it with the exclamation point. Love her, love her music, but I draw the line.) A LARGE portion of the audience - I'd say approaching 50% - was middle-aged women who had gone to *great* lengths to emulate her hair, her mode of dress, and overall style/persona. And it obviously wasn't just for the concert; the degree of time, effort and commitment indicated that they lived that way. It made me sad, for reasons I'm not sure I can put my finger on. It's like wearing a concert tee, but orders of magnitude more...desperate? Their entire identities were defined by their fandom of a particular entertainer.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:29 PM

Yeah, I have a student whose whole persona is Taylor Swift Fan. Her friends introduce her as "This is Leah. She's a huge Taylor fan." To which she always puts her hands over her heart and swoons "Oh, I AMMMMM..." Keep in mind, this is college. Leah is chronologically a twenty-something.

We were on a field trip and she came back out of the Art Institute to an earlier tweet re: Ms. Swift. and was crushed. "I missed it! ... NO, it's not the same. I didn't get it in real time!" I stayed away from her the rest of the day, because it was all she could talk about.

I'm sure she'd wear a Taylor shirt to a Taylor concert.

Want to be like her? Knock yourself out...

Last edited by digs; 08-21-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I'm sure she'd wear a Taylor shirt to a Taylor concert.
As would most people, as the results of this poll show.

I don't know why you think wearing a shirt of a band to a concert says anything more than "I am a fan of this band."

It really does look like some type of insecurity. "I can't show that I like this, even though I do! Those crazy people over there like this! I'm not like them!"
Old 08-21-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licentious Ectomorph View Post
I've never seen the point of wearing a shirt to proclaim your loyalty to anything - a musical act, a sports team, or whatever. The unspoken assumption is that the general public gives a rat's ass what some random stranger is a fan of. No one cares, and no one's paying attention to you.
I guess the point of this Facebook commercial is lost on you, then.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oLht/faceboo...ng-by-bee-gees

The point is that wearing band merchandise or sports merchandise, besides making a buttload of money for the sellers, of course, is to promote a sense of fellowship, belonging, and togetherness. But if it has to be explained to you, then you indeed don't get it.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:26 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Not lame, really, just a way to show you're a fan.

I've worn a "This Guitar Has Seconds To Live" T-shirt to just about all of the concerts I've gone to in the last 10 years, including The Who.

Last edited by blondebear; 08-21-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:27 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

This is The Dope, after all. Holding yourself above the herd because you are somehow superior is kinda what we do.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
Not lame, really, just a way to show you're a fan.

I've worn a "This Guitar Has Seconds To Live" T-shirt to just about all of the concerts I've gone to in the last 10 years, including The Who.
I gotta have that! I searched for years for a poster of that, but never found any and finally settled for "Maximum R&B" poster. But now I've got to look out for that tee....
Old 08-21-2019, 10:14 PM

I've never worn a band shirt for a concert, but if I did, it would be one I bought there. And it would only be for an up and coming band or some other band that wasn't gazillionaires and could really use the merch money.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I've never worn a band shirt for a concert, but if I did, it would be one I bought there. And it would only be for an up and coming band or some other band that wasn't gazillionaires and could really use the merch money.
Cool.

My Rule - all band shirts are fair game at a gig, but musicians wearing their own shorts onstage?
Nope.
Yeah yeah I saw that earlier link with page after page of bands wearing their own shirts: douchey.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:52 PM

Darn. Missed edit window on a possible typo.