Old 10-27-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I didn't realize feral hogs were this big of a problem in Arkansas.

Found this article from Jan 2019. I read several others and it's a significant problem for private landowners.

Waitwaitwait...

"Pig traps?"

Are they like the Havahart traps that gentle souls use on mice and other vermin?

Or maybe of a bear trap design?

I can't help but imagine a gigantic mousetrap where a gigantic arm snaps down on the hog's neck.

~VOW
Old 10-27-2019, 12:31 PM

Beck described a pig trap on her land.

The design changes over time because the pigs learn to recognize and avoid them.

Here's a large one.
https://today.agrilife.org/2005/12/0...ger-is-better/

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-27-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:01 PM

There is no reason to be humane to this invasive feral population. They add exactly 'nothing' to the land they populate. In fact they ruin whole fields of crops. They can devastate a small farm. We have electric fencing because of deer (and now pigs). Mr.Wrekker grows corn and hay. We've grown peas. We get less from the pea patch every year. It's far away from the house so the wildlife get in it more.
We couldn't make living on these crops. He mostly does because corn and hay are crops he can use. The peas are for me.
People don't feel sorry for the pigs.
They're bad, bad, bad.
Farmers hate 'em. Hunters hate 'em.
They gotta go.
(~VOW- pig traps are not a viable solution. What are you gonna do with a LIVE, angry diseased pig? In a cage. Ethically you can't catch and release. Where would you release?)

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-27-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:37 PM

Texas?
Old 10-27-2019, 02:29 PM

I'm not a fan of Havahart traps of ANY kind. Wild critters violate my sense of home. Critters are welcome to use the parts of Earth that are not of my realm. Once they cross into my territory, death is the only solution.

Where to release feral hogs which are trapped. Hell works for me.

~VOW
Old 10-27-2019, 02:32 PM

I'm pretty sure most landowners use a bullet to finish off trapped feral hogs.

Catch & release isn't an option for invasive species that carry disease.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Texas?
Yeah. Then Mr.Wrekker can go hunt Arkansas pigs in Texas. Win-win!
Old 10-27-2019, 05:58 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
The pigs have every sort of worm, disease and parasitic pestilence known, in them. There is a pseudorabies that runs rampant in them. Pseudo- or not, I don't want that! The ones I saw up close appeared to have some sorta skin disease as well. Scabies or ringworm. The guys handling the dead ones were given gloves and face masks. It was truly the most disgusting thing I have ever witnessed, in my life. I cannot describe the smell. It was horrible.
I slept fitfully last night. Pigs were everywhere.
I honestly didn't know it had gotten that bad in the last 10 years or so; I Googled and was much surprised. And that seems the case most places where pigs have reached the stage of problem. To the point where folks are paying big bucks to hunt farm-raised boars on preserves rather than the naturally occurring ones. Who'da thunk? But its one of the reasons I say stopping here is always a chance at an education.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:59 PM

There's always been wild hogs in Arkansas. See @Razorbacks. My Mother tamed a wild hog piglet once, when she was a child.
Feral hogs are a different thing, altogether. When we built out here we never saw hogs. 20years in and I see them everyday. I saw one this afternoon. After the big cull and there's still hogs creeping around
Old 10-27-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
We'll get you a good ol' redneck chick in about 15minutes.
No thankee! Way back when, sometime when the first two digits in the year are what the current last two digits are I went to Vicksburg, MS for a work trip. We went over the river to LA for some drinks; met a young lass heading into the USCG. We enjoyed our time together (in a platonic, clothes-on sorta way). A weekish after I get home there is a perfumed letter in the mailbox; she's changed her duty station to one (relatively) close to me.

Quote:
P.S. bring your own toilet paper.
Hell, I've been known to take my own TP to the start of a large race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
I've hunted boar; even been dumb enough to hunt them with flintlocks. But driven and bottled? Give me a full mag and a pocket full of extra rounds. Or one Hell of a steady strong raised platform. Like a helicopter.
If you wanna go to Texas, you can legally hunt them from a hot air balloon. Seriously!
It seems some 'brilliant' legislator didn't like the fact that the hogs get scared of the chopper noise so they run away. I guess he didn't think of the fact that they'd probably get scared of the burner noise...& unless they happen to run downwind they are running away from an aircraft that can't chase them.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:01 PM

Yep, Spidey, there's some desperate southern gals out here.
When Son-of-a-wrek was sparkin' around looking for a soul-mate he purposely did not want an Arkansas girl. And specifically not one he went to school with. I asked him "Why?"
He told me the girls/young women here want a paycheck and a baby daddy.
He married a young women he met on leave after his first tour overseas. Funny, she controls his pocket book and they have 2 children.
His wife, my DIL couldn't be a better match for him. I'm pleased with his choice, I must say.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:09 PM

So...I heard thru the grapevine Mr.Wrekker got a big buck this morning. It's going to the taxidermy guy. Oh, joy! More redneck home decor. I don't know where he thinks this one's hanging. My walls are full of dead animals.
I've somehow kept them out of the bedroom and the dining room.
Maybe his barn office?
Oh, oh, I know, the lakehouse. God knows it needs decor.
Hmmm? How can I turn this around to my advantage? I may even get him to take some off my wall and move them out to the lakehouse, as well.
Mr.Wrekker -one trophy buck
Me- less redneck wall decor.
Yep. I win.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-28-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:00 PM

Three professors die and arrive at the Pearly Gates together. The first taught at Oxford and St Peter discusses quantum mechanics with him. The second taught at Harvard Law and he and St Peter discussed the finer points of jurisprudence. The third taught at the University of Wisconsin and Pete asked, "Yah hey dere. Ya get your buck?"
Old 10-28-2019, 07:11 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post

If you wanna go to Texas, you can legally hunt them from a hot air balloon. Seriously!
I've gone to Vermont for their firearms fishing season (the locals call it "bang-ling") so who knows? I have relatives down anound San Antonio somewhere; could make for an interesting week.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:22 PM

I've noodled before.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Three professors die and arrive at the Pearly Gates together. The first taught at Oxford and St Peter discusses quantum mechanics with him. The second taught at Harvard Law and he and St Peter discussed the finer points of jurisprudence. The third taught at the University of Wisconsin and Pete asked, "Yah hey dere. Ya get your buck?"
You so funny