Old 01-24-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
Quoting two tweets from Trump - the first is here.
Quote:
As the Shutdown was going on, Nancy Pelosi asked me to give the State of the Union Address. I agreed. She then changed her mind because of the Shutdown, suggesting a later date. This is her prerogative - I will do the Address when the Shutdown is over. I am not looking for an....

....alternative venue for the SOTU Address because there is no venue that can compete with the history, tradition and importance of the House Chamber. I look forward to giving a “great” State of the Union Address in the near future!
3:18 PM - 24 Jan 2019

3:18 PM My local time - 11:18 PM US Eastern.
Ms. Pelosi's response:
Quote:
Mr. President, I hope by saying “near future” you mean you will support the House-passed package to #EndTheShutdown that the Senate will vote on tomorrow. Please accept this proposal so we can re-open government, repay our federal workers and then negotiate our differences.
Lady's not giving an inch.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:22 AM

A trivial contest results in a empty victory. Better her than him, but this will disappear with the next Trumpquake.

(I recall her saying something like being a multiple grandmother has given her some chops when it comes to recalcitrant children. At the time, I thought she was kidding. Maybe not.)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Headline on the Fox News site - "Trump Blinks".
Yeah, well let's wait until morning and see how Trump reacts once Limbaugh, Colter and Ingraham start calling him names for giving in.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:57 AM

Did Trump do something adult regarding the SOTU?
Like not picking a dumb fight, not throwing a tantrum, just accepting a later date and move on? Now I’m scared.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
Like not picking a dumb fight, not throwing a tantrum, just accepting a later date and move on? Now I’m scared.
Nah, he'd already picked a dumb fight and thrown a tantrum, and neither worked. It wasn't so much an adult decision as a capitulation: Pelosi out-maneuvered him, and Trump had no choice.

Quote:
Earlier in the day, the California Democrat formally disinvited Trump from giving the address from the House chamber, catching White House officials off guard and leaving them scrambling for a response.

CNN also says
the White House considered having him deliver the speech from the Oval Office, but Trump did so poorly the last time he tried that that they gave up on that idea. They also considered delivering the SOTU via a rally, believe it or not, but gave up that idea because the networks probably wouldn't carry it live, and Trump can't stay on script at rallies. Plus Trump loves the bells and whistles and the sheer power rush he gets from delivering the SOTU address in the House chambers, with all three branches his captive audience.

Let's hope he's itching for this so much, he capitulates on the wall, too.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
Yeah, well let's wait until morning and see how Trump reacts once Limbaugh, Colter and Ingraham start calling him names for giving in.
Coulter on Twitter, five minutes ago.
Quote:
I couldn't care less about when Trump gives the SOTU address. JUST BUILD THE WALL! BREAK GROUND NOW!
Ingraham on Twitter, about 12:15 AM
Quote:
Bad decision by @potus. Go to America and give the nation a #SOTU. Send the written form to petty Pelosi.
...and that's all I can take.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
For now, it looks like it. Not bad. I would point to the post directly above yours fo perspecctive, however.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Headline on the Fox News site - "Trump Blinks".
He'll only know about this if it's spoken. He doesn't read.

Yes, Trump voters supported a candidate who doesn't read. That's pretty amazing in and of itself.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
Yes, Trump voters supported a candidate who doesn't read.
It's called representative democracy.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Pelosi's letter is perfection
I love this "between the lines" interpretation:

Quote:
..."In my further correspondence of January 16th," she continued, "I said we should work together to find a mutually agreeable date when government has reopened, and I hope that we can still do that."

She hit that man with the "per my last email," which is office-speak for "Bitch, I already said …"

Translation: I already done told your dumb ass that there won’t be any fucking speeches as long as the government is shut down. What part of that did you not understand?...
Old 01-24-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
It's called representative democracy.
One more time for Roman Hruska:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Hruska on G Harrold Carswell
Even if he were mediocre, there are a lot of mediocre judges and people and lawyers. They are entitled to a little representation, aren't they, and a little chance?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
As the Shutdown was going on, Nancy Pelosi asked me to give the State of the Union Address. I agreed. She then changed her mind because of the Shutdown, suggesting a later date. This is her prerogative - I will do the Address when the Shutdown is over. I am not looking for an....

....alternative venue for the SOTU Address because there is no venue that can compete with the history, tradition and importance of the House Chamber. I look forward to giving a “great” State of the Union Address in the near future!
My first thought was that someone stole his cell phone. Prerogative, alternative. Some big words in there for Trump. Oh. he put great in quotes. And the required exclamation mark. Trump got his phone back before it was sent.

You can tell it's Trump when the writing is similar to a 12 year old describing their first date.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
...Oh. he put great in quotes...
I wondered about the use of scare quotes here. Does he realize it implies sarcasm or that the speaker doesn't actually believe what's in the quotes?
Old 01-24-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
I wondered about the use of scare quotes here. Does he realize it implies sarcasm or that the speaker doesn't actually believe what's in the quotes?
Hmmm, maybe his subconscious is trying to tell us something.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
There is so much that Trump doesn't realize, that to try to list it would take down this board.

Not understanding that the quotes aren't an emphasis, and indeed the very opposite is just the tip of the ice burgh.

He does the quotes quite a bit. Just like his childish exclamation points. That anyone did, and STILL supports this buffoon is the head scratcher.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
There is so much that Trump doesn't realize, that to try to list it would take down this board.

Not understanding that the quotes aren't an emphasis, and indeed the very opposite is just the tip of the ice burgh.

He does the quotes quite a bit. Just like his childish exclamation points. That anyone did, and STILL supports this buffoon is the head scratcher.
He's "like" Joey from Friends. I bet he's even seriously said the "how you doin'" plenty of times.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You can tell it's Trump when the writing is similar to a 12 year old describing their first date.
Especially if it's similar to a 12 year old claiming he got to second base when in fact he didn't have the nerve to hold her hand.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Very nice!

Quote:
... he put great in quotes. ...
Quote:
Trump seems to genuinely believe that putting something in quotes is the same thing as italicizing it.

As we've come to know, he's not a literate guy. And of course, he's lived a life in which NO ONE ever dared to tell him he was mistaken. In those circumstances, people end up with a lot of odd habits.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

'No Cave!': It's wall or bust for a defiant Trump as shutdown enters 33rd day. The news is that

--oops, sorry. "No Cave" is Wednesday's news. I meant to link to Friday's news:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaPo
The House and Senate will vote on legislation to reopen the government until Feb. 15. During that period, lawmakers will discuss funds for border security and President Trump’s demand for $5.7 billion for the U.S.-Mexico border wall.

The outcome was a win for Democrats and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who had insisted on no negotiations until the government was reopened.
My question: does this mean Trump gets to give his speech after all? Will he?

Man, can Pelosi ever call the tune. I wonder if Trump will dance.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 01-25-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:42 PM

I'd say it's in Pelosi's interests to let him give it as soon as possible, while the stench of defeat is still on him. But given the time it will take to get the agreement finalized and government officially reopened, plus the time needed to take care of all the SOTU logistics, I'm sure it will be delayed.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Master negotiator turned a wall which nobody wanted into a cave which everybody wanted. Props to Individual-1!
Old 01-25-2019, 02:50 PM

I would hope that she makes with a new invitation. If only to show Trump how deals actually work.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

He should speak as soon as possible, while the stench of defeat is lingering in the air.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I would hope that she makes with a new invitation. If only to show Trump how deals actually work.
No fucking way. This is a 3 week deal - shorter than the shutdown! That's jack shit and if Pelosi caves for this fig leaf of an olive leaf then she's not the woman I think she is. At the very minimum, it should be a tentative invitation past the 3 week date and see what happens.

If I was a labor organizer, I'd be working like hell to get as many people as possible ready to call in sick three weeks from now. This may reset some workers bank accounts but it can't be allowed to reset tolerance of a shutdown.

Last edited by CarnalK; 01-25-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:42 PM

Issue the invitation, but schedule it for Feb 16th. If the government is shut down again, it's cancelled.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:45 PM

I favor doing the usual mambo, issue the invite appropriately, with a genteel coating of bi-partisan approval. Comity gold, right there! It is important to be gracious in defeat, especially the other guy's defeat.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
I favor doing the usual mambo, issue the invite appropriately, with a genteel coating of bi-partisan approval. Comity gold, right there! It is important to be gracious in defeat, especially the other guy's defeat.
Comity gold:

But you're right. Pelosi says, "Attaboy. Now that you're not throwing a tantrum, you can have your toy back."

The goal at this point isn't for Pelosi to threaten Trump. The goal is to isolate him from other Republicans. If Pelosi exudes calm and grace and levelheadedness, it'll make it that much harder for Republicans if they decide, in three weeks, to create yet another shutdown.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
if Pelosi caves for this fig leaf of an olive leaf then she's not the woman I think she is
It's her proposal.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:30 PM

I know, I think all of the House bills sent up to the Senate have been short term. They're trying to get something passed. Maybe my mixed metaphor wasn't perfect but what I meant was that this is only a short capitulation so far and should not be taken as a resolution of a deal. She would be giving it up a little easy to invite Trump to do SOTU next Wednesday.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know, I think all of the House bills sent up to the Senate have been short term. They're trying to get something passed. Maybe my mixed metaphor wasn't perfect but what I meant was that this is only a short capitulation so far and should not be taken as a resolution of a deal. She would be giving it up a little easy to invite Trump to do SOTU next Wednesday.
She'd be easily giving a little up. The SOTU is a trifle, and if Trump gives it on schedule by Pelosi's permission, it keeps her firmly in power.

It's far from her only negotiating tool; it's a biscuit she gives the puppy for coming to heel.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:56 PM

It's a trifle she made into a big deal. A 3 week extension is not good enough. There's no deadline to meet, Trump can give the SOTU when this shutdown is actually over.

Last edited by CarnalK; 01-25-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
It's a trifle she made into a big deal. A 3 week extension is not good enough. There's no deadline to meet, Trump can give the SOTU when this shutdown is actually over.
In three weeks we can have a real spending bill in place and the "wall" will be forgotten.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
In three weeks we can have a real spending bill in place and the "wall" will be forgotten.
Well yeah, that's the dream. But as this past month has likely showed you, it depends on how ornery Trump is feeling.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Training only works when you give the puppy the treat when he performs the trick. I know I'm belaboring the metaphor, but Pelosi loses her edge if she shifts the goalposts here.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Training only works when you give the puppy the treat when he performs the trick. I know I'm belaboring the metaphor, but Pelosi loses her edge if she shifts the goalposts here.
I know you're all super pumped about the House swing but you need to get a grip. Do you remember the puppy has befriended a turtle shaman that is at least as capable as your puppy trainer? Pelosi doesn't have remotely free reign to train Trump. I honestly think she'd be betraying federal workers by allowing the SOTU in the House before a more concrete resolution is had. Even if it's only a trifling symbolic way.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know you're all super pumped about the House swing but you need to get a grip.
Okay, dude.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:42 PM

Sorry if I read too much into your obvious and puppy metaphor soaked love of this Pelosi power move.

Last edited by CarnalK; 01-25-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:50 PM

The puppy metaphor is a good one. This isn't any more complicated than that. Time for pups to have his Scooby snack.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:52 PM

Pelosi didn't shift the goal posts. She gave a simple, reasonable requirement - open the government. Anything else is the routine task of the legislature.

Trump's concession speech was total surrender. The hollow claim that, should he not get his wall, he will shut down the government again is ludicrous.
Pelosi has calmly defeated the President.

So, what can he possibly have to say in a State of the Union Address?
Old 01-25-2019, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sorry if I read too much into your obvious and puppy metaphor soaked love of this Pelosi power move.
Cool
Old 01-25-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
Pelosi didn't shift the goal posts. She gave a simple, reasonable requirement - open the government. Anything else is the routine task of the legislature.

Trump's concession speech was total surrender. The hollow claim that, should he not get his wall, he will shut down the government again is ludicrous.
Pelosi has calmly defeated the President.
Total surrender? I'll wait on that judgment. From the CNN article on this:
Quote:
"As everyone knows I have a very powerful alternative but I'm not going to use it at this time," Trump said after declaring he'd struck a deal to reopen government. CNN reported exclusively on Thursday that a national emergency proclamation had been drafted that would allow for potentially billions of federal dollars to be put toward wall construction.

"If we don't get a fair deal from Congress, the government will either shut down on February 15 again, or I will use the powers afforded to me under the laws and the Constitution of the United States to address this emergency," Trump said. "We will have great security."
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/25/polit...der/index.html
What a well behaved puppy!

Last edited by CarnalK; 01-25-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:31 PM

Trump is declaring political war without purpose or end game. I don't believe we are stupid enough to allow it.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Trump is declaring political war without purpose or end game. I don't believe we are stupid enough to allow it.
He was just allowed to do that for over a month. But this time...
Old 01-25-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
So, what can he possibly have to say in a State of the Union Address?
I don't know, I suspect it's going to be deeply stupid, and I will fight you if you try to stop it.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:42 PM

Stop the SOTU?

Why would anyone even consider such a thing?

Last edited by Crane; 01-25-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
I don't know, I suspect it's going to be deeply stupid, and I will fight you if you try to stop it.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Looks like CarnalK made the call:

Pelosi aide on whether Trump will deliver SOTU this Tuesday after all now that govt’s open:

“No”

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/sta...741146112?s=19
Old 01-27-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Stop the SOTU?

Why would anyone even consider such a thing?
The speech normally means nothing substantive, no. But for this President, who is driven not by a sense of responsibility to the nation but by ego and television exposure, it's vital. Taking it away from him is a way to remind him that he no longer has control of anything.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Looks like CarnalK made the call:

Pelosi aide on whether Trump will deliver SOTU this Tuesday after all now that govt’s open:

“No”

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/sta...741146112?s=19
Nah. CarnalK thinks she shouldn't "allow . . . the SOTU in the House before a more concrete resolution is had." But he's invited to give it in the house on February 5.

Which seems fine to me. She makes him wait a little to remind him who has the power here, and to not have to rush the necessary preparations, but gives him his treat for behaving more-or-less properly. Positive Behavior Reinforcement at its finest .