Old 02-07-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Jays Fan

So is it some kind of law that every few years, some millionaires have to try a new football league that will collapse in tears and unpaid bills within two to four years?

I'll give the AAF folks credit, in that they came up with some modern ideas; most football leagues are just "More football, maybe with some different rules." The idea of having fans involved directly in the league though fantasy football, apps, and the like is admittedly pretty clever. Nonetheless, they'll flop.

Last edited by RickJay; 02-07-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
So is it some kind of law that every few years, some millionaires have to try a new football league that will collapse in tears and unpaid bills within two to four years?
To be fair the Arena Football League lasted 22 years. Sometimes they last a while.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

AFAIK there have never been two at once. Even with XFL 2.0 starting next year, there still probably won't be. It will be a refreshing change, at least - they're going to Tampa, not Orlando.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:51 AM

To do my own analysis of the game (was it an epic defensive battle, or a Blunder Bowl / Stupor Bowl?), I re-watched Super Bowl LIII. Last Sunday I was tired and dozed off and missed parts of the game.

It was mostly a very good defensive battle, mixed in with QBs Brady and Goff being off at moments — to me, Brady looked a little old at times and Goff looked a little young and green at times. Having played a little QB, I often focus on that position.

About Brady’s pick — I’ve been liking Tony Romo’s analysis and viewpoints (Super Bowl and AFC Championship), but he was flat-out wrong about that pick on the first pass play of the game. Hogan was open on the right on his out pattern, he had some coverage inside from Robey-Coleman but Hogan initially had 2 yards of separation from him. A good throw to the outside and it’s a quick and easy completion. But Brady’s body is starting to fail him at times and this was one of them — his throw sailed inside towards Robey-Coleman. Romo said Brady made a mistake and should not have thrown that pass, alluding to Hogan being too well covered but no, Brady made the right decision but just didn’t execute there.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I'll give the AAF folks credit, in that they came up with some modern ideas; most football leagues are just "More football, maybe with some different rules." The idea of having fans involved directly in the league though fantasy football, apps, and the like is admittedly pretty clever. Nonetheless, they'll flop.
Especially if they can't get better marketing people. I say this based solely on looking at the team names, which I think were came up with by two high-schoolers, the morning they were due, with ten minutes to google each city and come up with a locally-based team name, but no time to actually consider what they came up with.

Arizona Hotshots -- If you're in a streetball 3-on-3 basketball tournament, "Hotshots" is a perfectly good team name. Or I suppose if you're naming a softball team after the bar/strip club that sponsors you. But professional football? Not so much.

Salt Lake Stallions -- Maybe it's just me, but hearing "stallion" makes me think someone's referring to bedroom activities. Maybe it's supposed to be that way, as a joke on the Mormons?

San Antonio Commanders -- If you're in a retro video game tournament, "Commanders" is a perfectly good team name.

San Diego Fleet -- Eh, OK fine. Not hall-of-fame, but I could see yelling "Go Fleet!"

Atlanta Legends -- "Atlanta Legends" is the name of either an R&B backing band, or the strip club they're playing in.

Birmingham Iron -- OK, Again, not horrible. Local color, and at least not a laugh-inducing nickname.

Memphis Express -- Possibly not horrible, except that I'd swear there was already a soccer team Memphis Express (women's league, maybe?). And do they change the name if FedEx stops paying them?

Orlando Apollos - The nickname is clearly NASA-inspired but the logo is a weird stylized person with a bow. I'm all for classical -inspired names (and someone needs to come up with an Athenian-derived name to balance out all the Spartans running around), but think it may be a bit too far a reach for Florida Man.

And Jesus, now that I look at them again, every single one of those names could either be a strip club or a gay men's leather bar. Is that intentional?
Old 02-08-2019, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And Jesus, now that I look at them again, every single one of those names could either be a strip club or a gay men's leather bar. Is that intentional?
See? They did put some thought into them!
Old 02-08-2019, 01:55 PM

Every name is still better than the Browns.