Old 02-12-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbrian View Post
I find the above interesting. Why do you want Jennings in your Ashes team?
It's funny that you should bring up the 90s England in your earlier post, and their habit of finally turning up to a series once it's been lost, because I think the current problems with the England setup are similar to the problems we had back then. We're not letting anyone settle, players aren't in the team because they know that the selectors back them and know they are good enough, but because they are the lastest cab off the rank in a desperate search for the next Alistair Cook.

It's not just the openers. Here is a graphic showing the England middle order (3-8) and their positions they've played in the previous three series. Look at what's happened to Bairstow, Stokes and Buttler in particular, but none of them (with the sole exception of Joe Root) are settled.

It's not so much that I want Jennings in particular in my Ashes side, more than I want this team, in this order, in my Ashes side, to let them gel as a side, with players in known roles and positions.

I don't think Jason Roy is the answer, and I don't think his name would have come up (as it hasn't, really, until now) if he wasn't simply one of the few openers we haven't chucked in yet. As you say, he doesn't open in County Cricket.

Last edited by Teuton; 02-12-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:17 PM

I think, in general, there is a lot of sense in what you're saying. We don't want to be chopping and changing the team or the batting order as much as we have been doing and this is, probably, at least part of what is causing inconsistency in our batting performances. About the only constant is Root at 4 at the moment and everybody shuffling around trying to solve our issues at 3, is having a deleterious effect on the form of guys in the lower order. We should hit on a team and stick to it and I would say that:

Burns, Jennings, Denly, Root, Buttler, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, 3 seam up bowlers

Is probably about right.

BUT

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

That is Keaton Jennings Test match performance over the course of his career. He averages 17.7 in matches in England over 18 innings - he can't play the moving ball and he has been shown up here as struggling against pace. Starc and Cummins are going to eat him alive. He looks like someone that I'd be happy to have go to the sub-continent but facing seam up bowling, he's going to struggle unless he fixes some fundamental technical flaws. For me, the general ethos of what you're proposing is right (particularly if you can be sure you've identified the right players) - but I think you can bed in the remaining 10 players in the team in the right places in the order, and still say, "he's not good enough - let's see if we can find someone else".

Now - my get out of jail free card. England's next test isn't until the end of July (against Ireland) and there will be a lot of county cricket to be played. Jennings doesn't play ODIs, so he should get as much red ball time as we can give him in the early season. If he starts scoring some runs and is the best of the options available to us, I'm not against him sticking. On the other hand, that's also a lot of red ball cricket for other guys - Holden, Gubbins, Bell-Drummond, even recent discards like Stoneman, to also score a lot of runs. I'd hold the #2 position open in the side for the moment and select whomever performs best for us, rather than be wedded to Jennings in the name of consistency.

Roy for me is an utter non--starter but better judges than I, at least people I have some time for in the press, are talking it up which is usually an indication that someone in the England selection camp is talking it up as a possibility or they're seeing something that I am not.

104-5 in the Caribbean. England are going to win this comfortably, barring an act of God (either via weather or a West Indian partnership being touched by him).
Old 02-12-2019, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Windies cricketer Shannon Gabriel charged by ICC over 'homophobic' comment to Joe Root http://news.sky.com/story/windies-cr...-root-11635725

Good, tired of the homophobia in sports. I don’t mind players getting a mental edge by telling someone their game is weak, but using ‘gay’ as an insult has got to stop.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:19 PM

So, yeah. This was not great. Gabriel has been banned for 4 (largely meaningless) one day matches starting from next week. Seems about right given the ban meted out not a month ago for racial remarks in the Pakistan/South Africa series.

Seeing some of the tin foil hat brigade in the cricketing internet community talking about how the stump mics should be turned down and this stuff left on the field. Not for me. Turn the buggers up and make sure all of this gets stamped out. The best sledges go down in history ("Tickets please!", "When in Rome dear boy", etc) and show some evidence of wit and intelligence - not battering on in horrific fashion using racism, homophobia or elsewise. Maybe if the players know they're being properly monitored they'll only say stuff that's worthwhile - or perhaps just shut up with sledging/abuse altogether.

England won. Rather one-sided. Not much else to discuss. It's now the long drag into the World Cup - the IPL will get underway soon too. Is it right that the Big Bash still hasn't finished yet? Feels like it went on forever.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
As to the second question: everyone seems to be pointing at Jason Roy to open. Which seems to me like pouring oil on the fire. He doesn't open down at Surrey and he'll be in on the grounds that he opens in ODIs and should be able to tee off. But isn't our problem at the top of the order lack of obduracy?
Yes, but I think the theory is that if you're going to be out within 35 balls anyway due to lack of technique, you may as well pick someone who might use those balls to score 50 occasionally, rather than someone who gets 7. Not saying I agree that's the right approach, but it does have some logic behind it.

As for Jennings, really enjoyed George Dobell's comment on Cricinfo: "worse driver than Prince Philip".

Quote:
So, yeah. This was not great. Gabriel has been banned for 4 (largely meaningless) one day matches starting from next week. Seems about right given the ban meted out not a month ago for racial remarks in the Pakistan/South Africa series.

Seeing some of the tin foil hat brigade in the cricketing internet community talking about how the stump mics should be turned down and this stuff left on the field. Not for me. Turn the buggers up and make sure all of this gets stamped out. The best sledges go down in history ("Tickets please!", "When in Rome dear boy", etc) and show some evidence of wit and intelligence - not battering on in horrific fashion using racism, homophobia or elsewise. Maybe if the players know they're being properly monitored they'll only say stuff that's worthwhile - or perhaps just shut up with sledging/abuse altogether.
"Every time I fuck your wife, she gives me a biscuit."

Does anyone know what Gabriel actually said? Agree 100% that Root and the ICC took the right stand.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Well, Gabriel was apparently slated for a return to the ODI side for this series in the run up to the world cup, so this ban could put a serious dent in his hopes for playing in that. The ban isn't just for this, though, like the Jason Holder ban earlier, it's an accumulation of points. It appears as though the major problem with this points accumulation system is that people, even journalists, don't seem to realise that getting 3 points for an infraction and putting yourself over 20 points for the period doesn't actually mean you got the ban for the 3 point transgression.

You're right, Cumbrian, that there is a lot of county cricket to go before the Ashes, and indeed a Test match at Lords against Ireland to get past. Atherton in the radio commentary made a point that a top three of Cook, Trescothick and Bell was more likely than the current top three making it to the Ashes, and I don't think he's far wrong (in that they are both equally unlikely).
Old 02-16-2019, 08:38 AM

Amazing win just now for Sri Lanka in their first test v SA. Perera with 153* and 78 for the last wicket to win it. Given their results v England at home and Australia away plus the fact they were chasing 304 in the final innings, a real turn up for the books.

Last edited by Cumbrian; 02-16-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:14 AM

Those sixes in the last couple of overs.... that's the sort of game that kids dream of having, and Perera is living that dream. He scored 6 sixes in the game - 5 in the second innings, one in his first - and everyone else in the game managed one between them.

Not only chasing 300, but chasing 300 in a game where the highest previous score was 259.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:02 PM

Wow I'd written Sri Lanka off after their miserable Australasian tour.
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

Is anyone watching SA-SL 2nd Test? I've not seen any of it and am just looking at the scorecard now. It's the end of the second day and the match is already over 3/4s over. SL need 197 to win and 60/2 at the end of the day. Is the pitch a minefield, the bowling brilliant or are the batsmen idiots?

Predictably, given the low scoring nature of the match, the scorecards are an absolute mess. SA's first innings was 222 all out - 4 ducks and 3 more out for single digits - yet Markram got 60 and De Kock 80+ at basically a run a ball (which might have been a "fuck it, I'm getting you before you get me" innings). Similar story in the SA second innings - 3 guys get double digits, no one else scored more than 6...

Last edited by Cumbrian; Yesterday at 11:06 AM.
Old Today, 04:29 AM

I haven't been following at all, but checked the score this morning. SL are now 158/2, and they only need another 39 runs. Fernando and Mendis both in the 60s and looking comfortable, beetling along at 4.5 an over. The pitch suddenly doesn't look so bad.
Old Today, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

When Australia was finishing off Sri Lanka a few weeks ago one of the guys at work said that it was nice to be winning again. I said that "The Sri Lankans are so bad that beating them doesn't count as winning." So put me down as absolutely amazed.