Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-19-2019, 11:09 AM
Ashtura is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,849

Looking or a gorgeous PC game that's come out in the last 2 years that's also fun.


My qualifications: super impressive cutting edge graphics, as photo-realistic as it gets, open huge world. Must have extensive single player campaign.

I typically play shooters, but that's not necessarily a requirement. It just has to be FUN, which I have an open mind about.

I have played all of the Far Cry's except 4 and enjoyed them, so 5 is looking interesting. I just wish it didn't take place in the U.S. I like more exotic terrain.

ETA: I just realized this is probably more suited for The Game Room, so feel free to move there.

Last edited by Ashtura; 02-19-2019 at 11:14 AM.
  #2  
Old 02-19-2019, 11:17 AM
RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 40,730
Subnautica.
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!
  #3  
Old 02-19-2019, 11:18 AM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 40,271
Subnautica is your answer.

It's a pretty big open world game, set (mostly) underwater in alien coral reefs and other even weirder environments. It is breathtakingly beautiful, without doubt the prettiest game I have ever played. It has a clear storyline with good pacing, although it's open world so you get to choose how closely to follow the story.

It's decidedly not a shooter, though: for all practical purposes, you're not going to win in a fight against the alien fauna.
  #4  
Old 02-19-2019, 12:01 PM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 11,622
A couple of pretty good-lookin' shooters:

Sniper Elite 4. Two years old this month, but still looks great IMO. Not fully open-world, but very large level maps and a good variety of European WWII settings and scenarios. For definitions of "fun" that include a lot of stealth and stalking. You can certainly run through it guns blazing, but that's not really how it's intended to be played.

For pure destructive mayhem, Just Cause 4. There's a story but lord knows what it is, or cares. Run around and blow up literally anything and everything. Repetitive, but extremely satisfying!
  #5  
Old 02-19-2019, 12:13 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,823
Division 2 will be out in under a month and has an impressively rendered world to explore in the post-plague ravaged ruins of Washington DC. The level 1-30 "campaign" section of the game is really designed around a single player experience and they're supposedly going to have more plot/story based "end game" content to go along with the usual group raids and stuff. Or you can get the original Division for cheap these days and experience a pretty unique gaming environment in wintery New York. Still looks amazing.

Metro Exodus is apparently the new "But can it run Crysis?" standard when you jack up all the bells & whistles. I've been playing it and it feels like the child of Metro and Stalker so, if you like those games, you should find it fun. It's not "open world" but more like a collection of large outdoor zones you can explore for each stage of the game.

Far Cry 5 is... more Far Cry. Beautiful world and fun to explore. If you've played 3 (or 4, or Primal) then you already know what to expect out of the game play. Despite not being an exotic foreign locale, I found their Montana compelling to cruise around in.

Last edited by Jophiel; 02-19-2019 at 12:14 PM.
  #6  
Old 02-19-2019, 12:20 PM
Sailboat's Avatar
Sailboat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,842
My current shooter-equivalent is War Thunder, a massive online military vehicle combat simulator, featuring tanks, planes and (recently added) ships from various nations, dating from just-before-WWII to mid Cold War (and promising even more recent vehicles in future updates). It is largely player vs. player, but has single-player scenarios and campaigns. There are thee levels of realism in the gameplay, insanely customization controls, and numerous options for video detail, including cinematic level of visual detail if your graphics card can handle it.

It's not an RPG, although you can train up your crews over time -- it's just a battle game. But if you like shooters or pvp games, it's a little different than crouching with a sniper rifle...you could be lying in ambush hulldown in your tank destroyer, or screaming down onto the tail of that Messerschmidt that's been tormenting you.

https://warthunder.com/en

Last edited by Sailboat; 02-19-2019 at 12:25 PM.
  #7  
Old 02-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Ashtura is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Division 2 will be out in under a month and has an impressively rendered world to explore in the post-plague ravaged ruins of Washington DC. The level 1-30 "campaign" section of the game is really designed around a single player experience and they're supposedly going to have more plot/story based "end game" content to go along with the usual group raids and stuff. Or you can get the original Division for cheap these days and experience a pretty unique gaming environment in wintery New York. Still looks amazing.

Metro Exodus is apparently the new "But can it run Crysis?" standard when you jack up all the bells & whistles. I've been playing it and it feels like the child of Metro and Stalker so, if you like those games, you should find it fun. It's not "open world" but more like a collection of large outdoor zones you can explore for each stage of the game.

Far Cry 5 is... more Far Cry. Beautiful world and fun to explore. If you've played 3 (or 4, or Primal) then you already know what to expect out of the game play. Despite not being an exotic foreign locale, I found their Montana compelling to cruise around in.
Thanks all, keep 'em coming, I'll look at reviews of all.

I played the (Original) Division demo (8 hour time limit), and I didn't like the bullet sponginess of the enemies. Hopefully they address that in the Division 2. I'm also getting a little tired of dystopian future games (I spent a LOT of time in Fallout 3's DC).

I played Metro Last Night a couple times and could never finish it. More Dystopian fatigue, plus I found the constant need for gas masks quite tiring. Wonder if Exodus will be the same? Time for YouTube.

I watched a Far Cry 5 review last night, I avoided it at release because a David Koresh-type main antagonist didn't appeal to me (plus my PC was garbage at the time), but the review changed my mind.

The game I REALLY want to play on PC is Red Dead Redemption II, but who knows when that will come out on PC.

Last edited by Ashtura; 02-19-2019 at 12:31 PM.
  #8  
Old 02-19-2019, 12:29 PM
control-z is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 12,649
If you liked Far Cry 5 try Ghost Recon Wildlands. Fight cartels in Bolivia, gorgeous map.
  #9  
Old 02-19-2019, 12:31 PM
Biggirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 18,536
Not a shooter but looks like a lot of fun and is beautiful (to me, anyway) and has the most openest world ever (although not like you mean probably) AND for sure covers the most exotic territory you can find in a game-- is Universe Sandlot 2.
  #10  
Old 02-19-2019, 01:07 PM
Grey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 6,633
Have we mentioned Subnautica yet? L
__________________
"When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it." : Bernard Bailey
  #11  
Old 02-19-2019, 01:13 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I played the (Original) Division demo (8 hour time limit), and I didn't like the bullet sponginess of the enemies. Hopefully they address that in the Division 2. I'm also getting a little tired of dystopian future games (I spent a LOT of time in Fallout 3's DC).
Not sure when you tried it, but they've made the bad guys much less spongey since the game was new. That said, it's a looter-shooter at heart and not a boom-headshot FPS.

Exodus still uses gas masks but not as often as in previous games (Russia outside of Moscow isn't as heavily irradiated). But if you're uninterested in post-apocalyptic stuff then it's a nonstarter.

Agreed with control-z that Ghost Recon: Wildlands is gorgeous to look at. I had fun playing it as well.

Last edited by Jophiel; 02-19-2019 at 01:15 PM.
  #12  
Old 02-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Ashtura is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
A couple of pretty good-lookin' shooters:

For pure destructive mayhem, Just Cause 4. There's a story but lord knows what it is, or cares. Run around and blow up literally anything and everything. Repetitive, but extremely satisfying!
Hmmm. The gameplay looks a bit like the Far Cry 5 video I watched, maybe even cooler.

Hey, do you still have this installed and patched to the newest version? The gameplay looked fun, but the water in the video I watched looked reeeeally bad. Like 2011 bad.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGK8AQR4III

The comments I've seen in the video I watched said "it's a bug" but I don't know if it ever got fixed.

Last edited by Ashtura; 02-19-2019 at 01:21 PM.
  #13  
Old 02-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Ashtura is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Not sure when you tried it, but they've made the bad guys much less spongey since the game was new. That said, it's a looter-shooter at heart and not a boom-headshot FPS.

Exodus still uses gas masks but not as often as in previous games (Russia outside of Moscow isn't as heavily irradiated). But if you're uninterested in post-apocalyptic stuff then it's a nonstarter.

Agreed with control-z that Ghost Recon: Wildlands is gorgeous to look at. I had fun playing it as well.
Thanks.

Aplocalyptic isn't a dealbreaker, per se, it's just maybe a little bit of a con. I've just played SO many.

I watched a video of Ghost Recon: Wildlands last night. Looks interesting, not totally sold on it.
  #14  
Old 02-19-2019, 02:12 PM
Arcite is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,041
I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey on PS4, so while I can't comment on how the graphics look on PC, they are pretty impressive on PS4. And it definitely is a huge open world with an extensive single player campaign.
  #15  
Old 02-19-2019, 02:35 PM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 11,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Hey, do you still have this installed and patched to the newest version? The gameplay looked fun, but the water in the video I watched looked reeeeally bad. Like 2011 bad.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGK8AQR4III

The comments I've seen in the video I watched said "it's a bug" but I don't know if it ever got fixed.
Actually, honestly I'm still on Just Cause 3, which, IMO, is the better game in almost every respect, graphics included, but it doesn't fall within your two-year window. Otherwise, it's essentially the same game.
  #16  
Old 02-19-2019, 02:49 PM
Ashtura is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Actually, honestly I'm still on Just Cause 3, which, IMO, is the better game in almost every respect, graphics included, but it doesn't fall within your two-year window. Otherwise, it's essentially the same game.
Good to know, I might check it out. I read it was criticized for being less optimized than 4 performance-wise, but maybe the crappy water was part of the optimization
  #17  
Old 02-19-2019, 03:03 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 34,034
Two more fun shooters slightly outside the two-year requirement:

Watch_Dogs 2 (set in San Fransicso/Oakland/Silicon Valley in 2016 but is really nice)

Mafia 3 (set in a fictionalized version of New Orleans in 1968; one DLC largely takes place on an unnamed Caribbean island)

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-19-2019 at 03:07 PM.
  #18  
Old 02-19-2019, 03:11 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 34,034
Too late to edit again: that island is part of the Stones Unturned DLC and it's off the Yucatan, not in the Caribbean.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-19-2019 at 03:11 PM.
  #19  
Old 02-19-2019, 03:35 PM
Smid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 852
I've been on Far Cry 5 for about four odd days and I'm not feeling it. I was a fan of 3 and 4, great games I might consider replaying through.

But 5? Well, I know being able to silently take an output was a delicate thing in previous times, but its pretty much impossible in 5 (I did it mostly in 3 and 4, only stopped in 3 in the end because I needed no more skills).

They seem to see the dead body in the middle of the bushes from 50 feet away and run over. So all hell breaks loose and then the enemy dodges like crazy and your bullets never seem to go anywhere near them. They are scarily accurate and you're far easier to kill than them and you're down, but you have two helpers who help you up. They often kill others or get wounded so most of the time you might as well blare into an output shooting at everything, all the stealth is pointless and the bots kill the others. Of course, you could not take the helpers, but then you just die all the time.

The setting in itself is atmospheric and cool, but there are 25 minute cut scenes and bits where I've just walked off and had a bath and came back and well, some crap I don't care about has happened. Often I've just switched off middle of missions going on far too long and went off to eat food which I would be 30 minutes late for if I cared about the game. I don't mind missions which take time, but these are the weird druggie missions of number 4 taken to a lot longer in the cut scene department.

Does it have to be out in the last two years? I've loved the sneakathons Dishonoured, 1 + 2, and Death of the outsider. Hitman was very good too for your assassination stuff, theres a second one now. The styx series was good for dungeon/goblin based sneaking and robbing and killing. Straight shooters Doom and Wolfenstein 2 were excellent, but the former is probably outside the 2 years, and the latter was not as good as Old Blood and New Order.
  #20  
Old 02-19-2019, 03:57 PM
AngelSoft's Avatar
AngelSoft is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland of the NW
Posts: 1,837
Ok I know I suggested this in another thread and it's a bit over 2 years old but I just now discovered this game and I'm just in love with it. Final Fantasy XV. It's actually quite open world, considering the genre. It's beautiful and realistic in its graphics. It's got tons to do outside of the main plot, side quests, fishing, collecting, and of course...chocobos. I'm sorry but I love them so much. I run everywhere just for the excuse of using them. I easily put 50 hours into my first play through and I'm going through again. There's even a new DLC coming out next month that I'm so excited for
  #21  
Old 02-19-2019, 04:41 PM
bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 17,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
The game I REALLY want to play on PC is Red Dead Redemption II, but who knows when that will come out on PC.
FWIW, if they do as good of a job of making the PC version look good that they did for the Xbox One, it should look AMAZING. I'm pretty impressed that a game written for a five year old console looks as good as it does.
  #22  
Old 02-19-2019, 04:48 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 81,805
[Moderating]
Moved CS to GR.
  #23  
Old 02-19-2019, 05:51 PM
Alessan's Avatar
Alessan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 23,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcite View Post
I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey on PS4, so while I can't comment on how the graphics look on PC, they are pretty impressive on PS4. And it definitely is a huge open world with an extensive single player campaign.
I'm playing it now on a fairly decent PC, and it's freakin' beautiful.
  #24  
Old 02-19-2019, 07:10 PM
wolfman is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 10,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcite View Post
I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey on PS4, so while I can't comment on how the graphics look on PC, they are pretty impressive on PS4. And it definitely is a huge open world with an extensive single player campaign.
It's fairly dependent on your card I hear, It's gorgeous at a good frame rate on my 1060, but some people with more constrained systems were complaining, although I haven't heard much of that in the last couple months, so maybe they got the graphics tuned and optimized since the issues of early release.
  #25  
Old 02-19-2019, 11:02 PM
Ashtura is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,849
Ok here's the last 2 years rationale. I just got a new computer and have been playing my old games that my computer struggled with (e.g GTA 5) on older games Max settings.. My new video card came with Battlefield V and i can play it on Ultra at 60 fps+ at 1080p, and I quickly finished it's campaign mode. I'm not always a graphics whore but I want something with cutting edge graphics and the other specifications (like fun) just so I can take my machine to the limit.
  #26  
Old 02-19-2019, 11:11 PM
Ashtura is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
I've been on Far Cry 5 for about four odd days and I'm not feeling it. I was a fan of 3 and 4, great games I might consider replaying through.

But 5? Well, I know being able to silently take an output was a delicate thing in previous times, but its pretty much impossible in 5 (I did it mostly in 3 and 4, only stopped in 3 in the end because I needed no more skills).

They seem to see the dead body in the middle of the bushes from 50 feet away and run over. So all hell breaks loose and then the enemy dodges like crazy and your bullets never seem to go anywhere near them. They are scarily accurate and you're far easier to kill than them and you're down, but you have two helpers who help you up. They often kill others or get wounded so most of the time you might as well blare into an output shooting at everything, all the stealth is pointless and the bots kill the others. Of course, you could not take the helpers, but then you just die all the time.
Yes I did watch a review of Far Cry 5 and the reviewer complained about the AI being all over him all the time to the point of annoyance. Like popping up but behind him out of no where. Is the AI intelligent? Because the more the better for me.
  #27  
Old 02-19-2019, 11:13 PM
Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Have we mentioned Subnautica yet? L
Subnautica is the Dope's answer to all video game questions. It's also rare in the fact that it's also the CORRECT answer to all video game questions.
  #28  
Old 02-20-2019, 10:03 AM
Raza's Avatar
Raza is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Atl-N, 34į09'N 84į05'W
Posts: 1,419
A warning about Ghost Recon: Wildlands: unless it was very recently fixed, it fails to run on the new nVidia RTX cards.
  #29  
Old 02-20-2019, 03:41 PM
Smid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Yes I did watch a review of Far Cry 5 and the reviewer complained about the AI being all over him all the time to the point of annoyance. Like popping up but behind him out of no where. Is the AI intelligent? Because the more the better for me.
They are superhuman, know exactly where you are and hone right in on you. Then your helpers kill them. So too challenging to be fun. And yet doable without any fun.

A lot of the time you just try and sneak in, fail, try and fight. Get injured. Get helped. Try and bandage. One of your friends go down. You might help them. You might get injured.

Basically no fun. I played FC 3 and 4 as sneakthons trying to get the triple xps for non detected outpost detection. Not that game anymore.

I'll stick with it for the moment, but not enjoying it.
  #30  
Old 02-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcite View Post
I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey on PS4, so while I can't comment on how the graphics look on PC, they are pretty impressive on PS4. And it definitely is a huge open world with an extensive single player campaign.
On my Xbox One itís gorgeous. Itís pretty enough I often just stop playing to enjoy the view in places. There arenít a lot of games that make me do that.
  #31  
Old 02-21-2019, 07:17 AM
Alessan's Avatar
Alessan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 23,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
On my Xbox One itís gorgeous. Itís pretty enough I often just stop playing to enjoy the view in places. There arenít a lot of games that make me do that.
I've been to Greece many times, and I have to say, the view in the game looks exactly like the real Greece, only much prettier.
  #32  
Old 02-22-2019, 03:13 AM
forever= is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
I think Metro Exodus may be interesting for you. It's a shooter with an open world and nice picture and it takes place not in the USA.
  #33  
Old 02-23-2019, 02:38 PM
carnalito is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Spain
Posts: 18
Farcry 5.
  #34  
Old 02-23-2019, 03:39 PM
nightshadea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: a condo in hell 10th lvl
Posts: 4,544
thres a new far cry coming that's the same setting as 5 but 20 years later after the bombs launched/set off that sort of ties in with 5
  #35  
Old 02-24-2019, 05:28 PM
Smid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 852
I've had a few more days with Far Cry 5, and I don't recommend it. It is chaos. The weapons are wrong. You are constantly attacked from the air when trying to sneak in places. You die randomly due to, just stuff happening. The missions are crap too, I don't think I've ever just done one, it is just badly designed and no fun.

I forgot my other main recommend though: Prey.
  #36  
Old 02-28-2019, 03:04 PM
Ashtura is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,849
Update: I got Far Cry 5. I'm about 1/3 through and LOVE it so far.

I like confrontation (running through Skyrim and Fallout for several minutes without a living thing in sight was a weak point for me) so the random bad guy attacks are fine.

For some reason, I haven't had trouble with any combat play style. I cleared an entire outpost by myself in broad daylight with nothing but stealth melee takedowns. Long range stealth attacks with Jess and Peaches the mountain lion. Guns blazing. But my favorite way? Blasting the HELL out of an outpost with a helicopter!

I didn't think I'd like playing in a fictionalized Montana, but the game is GORGEOUS! Easily on par with the most realistic looking games I've seen on Youtube that are already out).

I got a second copy for my wife to play with me and she likes it (co-op could be better, when I join her I don't progress really and basically am a glorified hired hand). We're already talking about buying FC: New Dawn when we're done with this.

But thanks for all the suggestions, I'll be sure to check them out further.
  #37  
Old 02-28-2019, 05:32 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 34,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I like confrontation (running through Skyrim and Fallout for several minutes without a living thing in sight was a weak point for me) so the random bad guy attacks are fine.
You know there are mods, at least for Fallout 4, that add NPCs out in the wilderness, right? Here's the one I use for FO.
  #38  
Old 02-28-2019, 07:07 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
You know there are mods, at least for Fallout 4, that add NPCs out in the wilderness, right? Here's the one I use for FO.
Like just about all Bethesda products it needs mods.

(Too bad Fallout 76 cant use them.)
  #39  
Old 02-28-2019, 08:29 PM
Ashtura is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,849
Hmm, my fallout 4 is modded to hell and back, but it never occurred to me to look for one that added more enemies. Į\_(ツ)_/Į
  #40  
Old 03-01-2019, 11:09 AM
Ashtura is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
I forgot my other main recommend though: Prey.
I did get Prey because I heard it was good for a Bioshock fix (Bioshock Infinite is my favorite game of all time). I played it for a little bit, not enough to get any real powers or great weapons (I think they should have given you a decent power PDQ like they did in the original Bioshock). I will definitely revisit it when I get time.
  #41  
Old 03-01-2019, 01:35 PM
Balance is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I did get Prey because I heard it was good for a Bioshock fix (Bioshock Infinite is my favorite game of all time). I played it for a little bit, not enough to get any real powers or great weapons (I think they should have given you a decent power PDQ like they did in the original Bioshock). I will definitely revisit it when I get time.
I'm currently playing Prey, and there are story reasons for not giving you powers early, but you do start off pretty weak. I found stealth and avoidance to be the best route early on; the game gives you a lot of freedom of movement for sneaking around. You can avoid most of the powerful enemies, and there's plenty of minor healing to recover from bashing the minor ones. (I abuse water fountains, in particular. They're slow, but they're unlimited full heals--if I'm carrying damage, I sip from every fountain and water cooler I pass. I have the best-hydrated protagonist ever.)

Stealth is still a major part of my gameplay, even though I'm much better-armed now, both because I like sneak attacks and because sneaking up on the ambushy little bastards seems like poetic justice.
  #42  
Old 03-03-2019, 01:58 PM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 11,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Actually, honestly I'm still on Just Cause 3, which, IMO, is the better game in almost every respect, graphics included, but it doesn't fall within your two-year window. Otherwise, it's essentially the same game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Good to know, I might check it out. I read it was criticized for being less optimized than 4 performance-wise, but maybe the crappy water was part of the optimization
FYI Just Cause 3 is on sale on Steam this weekend for just 3 bucks if you wanted to check it out. 4 is also on sale, but it's 10x more.


.

Last edited by DCnDC; 03-03-2019 at 01:59 PM.
  #43  
Old 03-03-2019, 03:18 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 34,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
FYI Just Cause 3 is on sale on Steam this weekend for just 3 bucks if you wanted to check it out. 4 is also on sale, but it's 10x more.
I'm waiting for 4 to go cheaper. At a buck fifty, 2 is worth getting if you've never played it; 3 isn't quite as much fun for just blowing stuff up.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-03-2019 at 03:22 PM.
  #44  
Old 03-06-2019, 12:10 PM
Smid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I did get Prey because I heard it was good for a Bioshock fix (Bioshock Infinite is my favorite game of all time). I played it for a little bit, not enough to get any real powers or great weapons (I think they should have given you a decent power PDQ like they did in the original Bioshock). I will definitely revisit it when I get time.
It is very hard at the start and you will curse until you realise that you have to improvise to beat the starting monsters. Use other objects. Set traps such as chasing you near things you can shoot to explode.Throw things at them.

Later in the game you play much more like a normal FPS, but the start is a sneak and survive and trick to kill game.

Oh and repair and use turrets. I spent so much time dragging my good turrets and setting up before going anywhere new...

Last edited by Smid; 03-06-2019 at 12:10 PM.
  #45  
Old 03-06-2019, 12:13 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 40,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
I'm waiting for 4 to go cheaper. At a buck fifty, 2 is worth getting if you've never played it; 3 isn't quite as much fun for just blowing stuff up.
The flight mechanic in Just Cause 3 is amazing fun, once you get the hang of it. The rest of the game I could take or leave, but I freakin' loved my wing suit.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 03-06-2019 at 12:13 PM.
  #46  
Old 03-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 34,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
The flight mechanic in Just Cause 3 is amazing fun, once you get the hang of it. The rest of the game I could take or leave, but I freakin' loved my wing suit.
True, but there isn't all that much to do after taking over. At least in 2, Baby's patrols are everywhere even when he's been scattered in little pieces.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-06-2019 at 12:27 PM.
  #47  
Old 03-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 40,271
That's all true. Still, the freakin' flight suit. I want a game that's just that flight suit.
  #48  
Old 03-06-2019, 02:07 PM
Balance is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
Oh and repair and use turrets. I spent so much time dragging my good turrets and setting up before going anywhere new...
You really found turrets that useful? I find that they're okay for cleaning up the little guys, but barely qualify as cannon fodder for anything else. Early on, I suppose they'd be more help, but I'd hit my sneaky stride before I got enough Repair to fix the broken ones. I still fix some for pest-control purposes, just because I have a surfeit of spare parts, but I don't haul them around much (except in one mission).

Aside: my current favorite weapon in Prey is...a cardboard box. Very situational, but capable of clearing a whole room of enemies in one shot.
  #49  
Old 03-06-2019, 03:49 PM
Arcite is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
The flight mechanic in Just Cause 3 is amazing fun, once you get the hang of it. The rest of the game I could take or leave, but I freakin' loved my wing suit.
Is the wing suit not as good in 4? Because I might not get 4 if it isn't. I agree, that was one of the best things about 3.
  #50  
Old 03-07-2019, 05:40 PM
Smid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
You really found turrets that useful? I find that they're okay for cleaning up the little guys, but barely qualify as cannon fodder for anything else. Early on, I suppose they'd be more help, but I'd hit my sneaky stride before I got enough Repair to fix the broken ones. I still fix some for pest-control purposes, just because I have a surfeit of spare parts, but I don't haul them around much (except in one mission).

Aside: my current favorite weapon in Prey is...a cardboard box. Very situational, but capable of clearing a whole room of enemies in one shot.
Repaired up and used in two and threes, draw the monster into. The little guys were the most annoying anyway, but proper planned ambushes with three turrets was my game.

Its all about surviving in the beginning, in another way near the end, I could virtually one shot the big guys, but I also felt I had earned the right...
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017