Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-28-2014, 02:42 AM
Tabby_Cat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: No Gum Here
Posts: 2,951

The Hearthstone Thread


So, I've just gotten into this, and did a search on the forum (there is only one forum on the internet), and what do I find?

NOTHING.


So I'm remedying that. I'm sure there are other Hearthstone players out there! How are yall doing? Getting ruined by Hunters like everyone else? I'm starting with a controlish temp Rogue deck, and I have to say, it's pretty fun so far. More streamlined than magic, and more restricted for it, but at the same time much easier for a CCG newbie like me.
  #2  
Old 04-28-2014, 03:19 AM
PastTense is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,316
See:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=701652
  #3  
Old 04-28-2014, 03:33 AM
Tabby_Cat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: No Gum Here
Posts: 2,951
Man, that thread is so 2013.
  #4  
Old 04-28-2014, 04:01 AM
Yllaria is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Stockton
Posts: 10,617
Looks like they changed some of the character names since beta. Most of the rest of it sounds pretty familiar, though.

It took me awhile to twig to the fact that the spinning chooser always lands on worthy opponent. It's only there to take up time while things load.
  #5  
Old 04-28-2014, 04:14 AM
Tabby_Cat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: No Gum Here
Posts: 2,951
I always want it to land on "paste-eater", but it never does!
  #6  
Old 04-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Yllaria is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Stockton
Posts: 10,617
The Priests that I've come up against seem to be the hardest for most characters to deal with. My Priest, of course, isn't nearly as bad ass, yet. During the practice rounds, one of my kids advised me to pit the Paladin against the Priest, which seemed to work fairly well. You only know what kind of character you'll be fighting during practice rounds, though.

Can anyone who's leveled up tell me if it's true that the Priest has an advantage against most of the other character types?

My vote for a card that's maybe not worth it - the Priest gets a 10 mana card that lets him pull a copy of a random card from the other person's hand into his. I don't remember the name of it. I put both in when I got them, but they haven't done anything spectacular and they take up card slots that could be used some time before your 10th turn.

I'm down to only one in the deck, and it still hasn't impressed me.

Oh, how closely do you think it matches you to other players? When most of my characters were 10th level, I don't think I got many 10 or below level opponents.

Last edited by Yllaria; 04-28-2014 at 11:19 AM.
  #7  
Old 04-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Grumman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,508
I'm using three decks at the moment: a Hunter beast deck most notable by the absence of Unleash the Hounds; a Rogue pirate/knives deck and a Warrior 3 power or less charge deck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
My vote for a card that's maybe not worth it - the Priest gets a 10 mana card that lets him pull a copy of a random card from the other person's hand into his. I don't remember the name of it. I put both in when I got them, but they haven't done anything spectacular and they take up card slots that could be used some time before your 10th turn.
You're confusing two different cards. The one that copies a card from their hand (Mind Vision) only costs 1 mana. The one that costs 10 mana (Mind Control) steals control of an enemy minion of your choice.

Last edited by Grumman; 04-28-2014 at 11:58 AM.
  #8  
Old 04-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is online now
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 81,754
I tried it out, but was quickly bored by it. While "simpler than M:tG" is probably a good thing for a novice to collectible card games, it doesn't hold much appeal for someone who's already familiar with and enjoys M:tG.
  #9  
Old 04-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is online now
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 81,754
Oh, and in Magic, at least, it's accepted wisdom that any card that costs more than six or seven mana needs to be good enough to nearly guarantee your victory all by itself or it's not worth it, and anything that costs 10 is only worth it if you can "cheat" it out (that is, use it without actually paying its cost). For comparison, stealing an enemy creature is usually priced at about 4, for a Magic card.
  #10  
Old 04-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is online now
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 43,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I tried it out, but was quickly bored by it. While "simpler than M:tG" is probably a good thing for a novice to collectible card games, it doesn't hold much appeal for someone who's already familiar with and enjoys M:tG.
I've been playing Magic since Revised, and I was up 'til four AM last night playing Hearthstone.
  #11  
Old 04-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,634
I'm a big fan of this game. It's even managed to sneak 20 bucks or so out of my wallet, and I almost never pay real money on these types of games.

This is a good site for tips, though it hasn't been updated in a while.

From what I understand, the best way to really learn the meta is to watch some of the twitch streams. The Penny Arcade dudes recommended this guy.
  #12  
Old 04-28-2014, 02:15 PM
Grumman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Oh, and in Magic, at least, it's accepted wisdom that any card that costs more than six or seven mana needs to be good enough to nearly guarantee your victory all by itself or it's not worth it, and anything that costs 10 is only worth it if you can "cheat" it out (that is, use it without actually paying its cost). For comparison, stealing an enemy creature is usually priced at about 4, for a Magic card.
Being a slower format isn't automatically worse. Ten mana in Hearthstone is worth less than ten mana in Magic, if for no other reason than because Hearthstone effectively has guaranteed land drops while Magic puts you at the mercy of your topdeck by three or four mana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
From what I understand, the best way to really learn the meta is to watch some of the twitch streams. The Penny Arcade dudes recommended this guy.
I would also recommend TotalBiscuit, but that's more for entertainment than to learn how to win.

Last edited by Grumman; 04-28-2014 at 02:18 PM.
  #13  
Old 04-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Tom Scud is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,214
Trump is pretty awesome and has an extensive collection of videos on his youtube channel.

Priest is actually probably the weakest class in constructed-deck play (I think they're all pretty balanced in Arena/sealed deck). Consensus seems to be that the strongest top-level classes are warlock, druid, and warrior, followed by hunter, rogue, and paladin, with mage, shaman, and priest trailing. I've been playing more or less every day since late in the closed beta and now have enough stuff to make any deck but one of those 10-legendary-dudes decks.
  #14  
Old 04-28-2014, 09:02 PM
Tabby_Cat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: No Gum Here
Posts: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
I'm using three decks at the moment: a Hunter beast deck most notable by the absence of Unleash the Hounds; a Rogue pirate/knives deck and a Warrior 3 power or less charge deck.
Without UTH? WHy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
Trump is pretty awesome and has an extensive collection of videos on his youtube channel.

Priest is actually probably the weakest class in constructed-deck play (I think they're all pretty balanced in Arena/sealed deck). Consensus seems to be that the strongest top-level classes are warlock, druid, and warrior, followed by hunter, rogue, and paladin, with mage, shaman, and priest trailing. I've been playing more or less every day since late in the closed beta and now have enough stuff to make any deck but one of those 10-legendary-dudes decks.
Trump's youtube channel looks interesting! I've been trying to find youtube channels with commented replays or such, I never have the time to catch the streams live and I can't cache twitch VODs like I can with youtube for offline viewing.

I'm not really enjoying arena the first time I played, to be honest. It seems like kind of a hodgepodge brawl, but maybe I just don't know the value of cards yet.
  #15  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:28 AM
Grumman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby_Cat View Post
Without UTH? WHy???
Because people hate playing against Unleash the Hounds. It provides an obscene amount of utility for only two mana - it draws cards, does damage (doubled or tripled by wolves or Leokk) and buffs your Hyena, all on the turn it enters play.
  #16  
Old 04-29-2014, 05:13 AM
Tabby_Cat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: No Gum Here
Posts: 2,951
Well... gotta say, good job, but that's definitely gimping yourself. Do you find hunters good even without Unleash the Hounds? I'm sure they're at least viable, but maybe drop to mid-tier.
  #17  
Old 04-29-2014, 05:52 AM
Grumman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,508
There are certainly times when the lack of board clear is a problem, but I'm fairly certain the deck wins more than it loses.
  #18  
Old 04-29-2014, 11:49 AM
bldysabba is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
It took me awhile to twig to the fact that the spinning chooser always lands on worthy opponent. It's only there to take up time while things load.
Heh. My favourite is A-cardish-Ian.
  #19  
Old 04-29-2014, 11:52 AM
bldysabba is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
I would also recommend TotalBiscuit, but that's more for entertainment than to learn how to win.
TotalBiscuit is only entertaining if you don't know how to play. Once you've been playing for even a little while, he makes you cringe so many times it hurts. Trump, on the other hand, is a really good player, surprisingly entertaining and excellent to watch if you want to learn how to play.
  #20  
Old 04-29-2014, 12:03 PM
bldysabba is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
Priest is actually probably the weakest class in constructed-deck play (I think they're all pretty balanced in Arena/sealed deck). Consensus seems to be that the strongest top-level classes are warlock, druid, and warrior, followed by hunter, rogue, and paladin, with mage, shaman, and priest trailing. I've been playing more or less every day since late in the closed beta and now have enough stuff to make any deck but one of those 10-legendary-dudes decks.
The strongest class in constructed right now is almost certainly Hunter(with the new mid-range variant), followed by Warlock. The recent nerfs to Tinkmaster Overspark and Nat Pagle have both made Druid much worse than it used to be.

I personally prefer playing arena much more than constructed. It has more variety and is fun in a new way each time. And for some reason, I have a weakness for Priest. I find his mechanic - healing minions and helping them survive, appeals to me in some strange leftover from tactical and RTS games.

Tabby Cat - If you like constructed play, Trump has done two or three 'Free to play' series, where he starts a new account, and takes a class from the bottom to Legend rank. Those might interest you.
  #21  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:27 PM
magnusblitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,265
Yeah, Hunter and Warlock (either zoo or hand variety) are seen as the strongest right now in constructed.

I've done all the basic achievements (beat all the expert AIs, got all heroes to level 1o, etc). Right now I'm in that spot where I'm still trying to unlock cards (don't really have enough to make good decks) but finding it difficult to win the needed games to do so.
  #22  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:53 PM
Grumman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
I've done all the basic achievements (beat all the expert AIs, got all heroes to level 1o, etc). Right now I'm in that spot where I'm still trying to unlock cards (don't really have enough to make good decks) but finding it difficult to win the needed games to do so.
Do you want to post your deck here for suggestions? I mean, it's possible to win games even with the default decks for each class, but it might help.
  #23  
Old 04-29-2014, 05:10 PM
bldysabba is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
Yeah, Hunter and Warlock (either zoo or hand variety) are seen as the strongest right now in constructed.

I've done all the basic achievements (beat all the expert AIs, got all heroes to level 1o, etc). Right now I'm in that spot where I'm still trying to unlock cards (don't really have enough to make good decks) but finding it difficult to win the needed games to do so.
The only achievement I have left is unlocking all cards. I don't think that one is going to get done anytime soon.
  #24  
Old 04-29-2014, 07:35 PM
Mosier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vegas
Posts: 7,602
I love Hearthstone, but I feel like it could benefit from just a little bit more complexity. Right now the only cards are creatures and one-shot spells. I don't know how they could add "reaction" cards without upsetting the flow of the game, though. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I see people make Magic-style value judgments on cards all the time. They think a 2 cost 1/1 with "battlecry: draw a card" is good, because card advantage is such a big deal in Magic. In Hearthstone, there is literally nothing in the entire game that costs 2 and is worse than that card. Card advantage effects are so damn cheap that even if that creature was 1 cost, it wouldn't particularly stand out as overpowered. In fact, there's already a 1 cost, 1/3 creature that typically yields MULTIPLE extra cards in a game.

Also, people severely undervalue some keywords, like "divine shield". Holy shit, that ability is incredible. A divine shield creature with stats weighted in favor of attack will trade 2 to 1 quite often, but you almost never see these creatures being played. On the other hand, "taunt" is a keyword that very rarely helps your situation, however decks are STACKED with these cards. People will pass over equal-cost cards with stats 2 or even 3 points higher, just to take this keyword.
  #25  
Old 04-29-2014, 07:56 PM
Tabby_Cat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: No Gum Here
Posts: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosier View Post
I love Hearthstone, but I feel like it could benefit from just a little bit more complexity. Right now the only cards are creatures and one-shot spells. I don't know how they could add "reaction" cards without upsetting the flow of the game, though. Maybe I'm wrong.
Uh, secrets? Am I missing something?

Quote:
Also, people severely undervalue some keywords, like "divine shield". Holy shit, that ability is incredible. A divine shield creature with stats weighted in favor of attack will trade 2 to 1 quite often, but you almost never see these creatures being played. On the other hand, "taunt" is a keyword that very rarely helps your situation, however decks are STACKED with these cards. People will pass over equal-cost cards with stats 2 or even 3 points higher, just to take this keyword.
I dunno, big taunters can be pretty problematic if you don't have a way to get rid of them without trading a lot of your creatures. Personally, I always have a sap, eviscerate or assassinate to deal with big taunters, so I'm good, but when playing other heroes I've ran into problems.

Divine shield is kinda situational, I feel. Any AOE in particular removes divine shield, so if I have fan of knives or blade flurry, divine shield rarely makes a difference. It might just be my deck having a lot of control though.
  #26  
Old 04-29-2014, 08:26 PM
bldysabba is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosier View Post
Anyway, I see people make Magic-style value judgments on cards all the time. They think a 2 cost 1/1 with "battlecry: draw a card" is good, because card advantage is such a big deal in Magic. In Hearthstone, there is literally nothing in the entire game that costs 2 and is worse than that card. Card advantage effects are so damn cheap that even if that creature was 1 cost, it wouldn't particularly stand out as overpowered. In fact, there's already a 1 cost, 1/3 creature that typically yields MULTIPLE extra cards in a game.
I know too little to comment on Magic, but I don't think that the Novice Engineer(1/1 draw a card) is thought of by too many people as good. Certainly it doesn't feature as good in any deck pick lists, and I've never run into it in constructed play. You may be wrong about it not being strong if it were 1 mana though. The card was nerfed down from 1/2 because it was too strong. The 1/3 creature - the Northshire cleric - can also yield ZERO cards in a game. It would be wrong to play it like that, but that means you have a card in your hand that you can't play until the right situation crops up. In arena at least, that's not ideal.

People do value card advantage highly in general, and I think they're correct to do so. I didn't know this when I started out, but I've learned it over time. I'd say the two most important things in a Hearthstone game are card advantage and board control, and they're both closely linked.

Quote:
Also, people severely undervalue some keywords, like "divine shield". Holy shit, that ability is incredible. A divine shield creature with stats weighted in favor of attack will trade 2 to 1 quite often, but you almost never see these creatures being played. On the other hand, "taunt" is a keyword that very rarely helps your situation, however decks are STACKED with these cards. People will pass over equal-cost cards with stats 2 or even 3 points higher, just to take this keyword.
I also don't agree that divine shields are undervalued. The only divine shield creature I can think of that isn't an auto pick in Arena is the 1/1 with divine shield the Argent squire. All others - the Argent commander(6 cost 4/2), the Argent protector(2 cost 2/2 that gives another minion divine shield), the Scarlet Crusader (3 cost 3/1) the Sunwalker(4/5) are all highly valued. It's also why the Blood Knight (3/3 that removes divine shields and gains 3/3 for each shield removed) is quite highly valued.

Last edited by bldysabba; 04-29-2014 at 08:28 PM.
  #27  
Old 04-29-2014, 08:34 PM
bldysabba is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby_Cat View Post
Uh, secrets? Am I missing something?
I think the problem with secrets is that only the Hunter secrets are viable, and then only in a constructed deck. The Mage has two secrets that are just barely ok in Arena - Mirror entity and Counterspell. For secrets to become a useful mechanic, there need to be more good secrets, so there would actually be some incentive to playing them.
  #28  
Old 04-29-2014, 08:41 PM
Tom Scud is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,214
Get Down (paladin secret, I forget the actual name) is okay, though not ideal; I don't pick it over good cards in Arena but it's good to have one-drops. I do play a couple in my paladin aggro deck, but then that one needs as many 1-cost spells as it can find to take proper advantage of Divine Favor.
  #29  
Old 04-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Mosier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vegas
Posts: 7,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldysabba View Post
People do value card advantage highly in general, and I think they're correct to do so. I didn't know this when I started out, but I've learned it over time. I'd say the two most important things in a Hearthstone game are card advantage and board control, and they're both closely linked.
When I first started playing Hearthstone, the recurring theme in my very large number of losses was that I died with cards in my hand. Every time.

Once I realized that, I lowered my deck curve considerably. Now I play decks that are almost all 1-4 drops, with very few bombs. The reason for this is that I'll trade card advantage for board position in any circumstance. In Magic board position was just as important, but "board position" meant something different. You could expect to play a creature and have a reasonable chance of it surviving. Small creatures had small abilities. In Hearthstone, 95% of the cards in the game directly attack your cool creatures, so the creatures are much, much better to compensate for how short their lives are. This means "board position" has an entirely different meaning in Hearthstone than it did in Magic. Having a creature (even a small one) on the board at the start of your turn is something you ought to be willing to trade card advantage for.
  #30  
Old 04-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Tabby_Cat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: No Gum Here
Posts: 2,951
Is Argent Commander worth it? I hear that it's overcosted, at 6 mana for a 4/2, I dunno. Ping it once with anything (1-2 mana) and trade with almost anything else (1-2 mana), I guess you get card advantage?
  #31  
Old 04-29-2014, 11:17 PM
bldysabba is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosier View Post
When I first started playing Hearthstone, the recurring theme in my very large number of losses was that I died with cards in my hand. Every time.

Once I realized that, I lowered my deck curve considerably. Now I play decks that are almost all 1-4 drops, with very few bombs. The reason for this is that I'll trade card advantage for board position in any circumstance. In Magic board position was just as important, but "board position" meant something different. You could expect to play a creature and have a reasonable chance of it surviving. Small creatures had small abilities. In Hearthstone, 95% of the cards in the game directly attack your cool creatures, so the creatures are much, much better to compensate for how short their lives are. This means "board position" has an entirely different meaning in Hearthstone than it did in Magic. Having a creature (even a small one) on the board at the start of your turn is something you ought to be willing to trade card advantage for.
And when I started playing Hearthstone*, my recurring theme of loss was finding myself in top deck mode, drawing a card and playing it and then losing in short order I was an enthusiastic 'board clear' type, trying to wipe out the other guy's minions at any cost. I now focus on making trades only when they're (card) advantageous to me, or if they're necessary(low life total etc.). Of course there're plenty of situations where it does make sense to ignore the card advantage for the board, and balance between the two is important, but I consider it less important. And while I'm not great at the game (still don't have 12 wins in arena, top out at 11), I've finally gotten to the point where I've gone 'infinite' in arena, i.e enough runs go above 7 wins that I don't need to do quests and/or the ladder to pay for Arena entry.

*Comments limited to Arena mode - I think all constructed decks play too differently to have general principles
  #32  
Old 04-29-2014, 11:21 PM
bldysabba is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby_Cat View Post
Is Argent Commander worth it? I hear that it's overcosted, at 6 mana for a 4/2, I dunno. Ping it once with anything (1-2 mana) and trade with almost anything else (1-2 mana), I guess you get card advantage?
I don't know if it'll fit in your constructed deck, but in Arena it's great, pretty much an auto pick, since it has divine shield and it has charge. So it will come out instantly affect the game, usually by taking out or assisting in taking out a minion and then the other guy will still have to deal with it on their turn. One or two legendary level decks also have it(some variants of the warlock zoo deck for instance), so it's certainly a pretty good card.
  #33  
Old 04-29-2014, 11:27 PM
bldysabba is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
Get Down (paladin secret, I forget the actual name) is okay, though not ideal; I don't pick it over good cards in Arena but it's good to have one-drops.
I dunno. I tend to skip 1 drops because they generally just die to the hero power, and the meta game so rarely punishes you for not having a 1 drop play. The only neutral 1 drops I pick are the Worgen Infiltrator(Stealth 2/1) and the Argent squire if I'm playing one of the classes that can do 1 damage.

Get Down(Noble Sacrifice?) is the best of the Paladin secrets, but I would pick an average higher mana card over it.
  #34  
Old 04-30-2014, 01:06 AM
Tabby_Cat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: No Gum Here
Posts: 2,951
How do you use the Worgen Infiltrator? I thought of having one in my deck just to keep the other honest about his 1 drops, and for mana efficiency, but once he's out, he just kinda... sits there. Not worth buffing, not worth using, just... ???
  #35  
Old 04-30-2014, 01:21 AM
bldysabba is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby_Cat View Post
How do you use the Worgen Infiltrator? I thought of having one in my deck just to keep the other honest about his 1 drops, and for mana efficiency, but once he's out, he just kinda... sits there. Not worth buffing, not worth using, just... ???
I probably wouldn't use it in a constructed deck. In Arena, I'd use it to trade with either the other guy's 1 drop, or, since there's lots of them around - a 2 drop which has 3/2 stats.

If you want a 1 drop in rogue constructed, I'd be much more likely to use the 1/1 with divine shield(argent squire). It can get buffed to a 5/1 with divine shield using cold blood, do 1 damage which you can follow up with your dagger, be helpful for using your combo cards, that kinda thing.
  #36  
Old 04-30-2014, 05:07 AM
Neverending Elbow is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Gdynia, Poland
Posts: 239
So what do you think about the various orange cards?
I have Ysera, and she can be devastating if she lasts a few rounds, because the cards she gives can make or break a game.
But then a lot of the super rare cards seem more trouble than they are worth.
  #37  
Old 04-30-2014, 08:04 AM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,634
Some of them are more trouble than they're worth and some of them are pretty much good all the time. Some are only good in constructed since they rely heavily on synergies that you can't count on.

So uh, yeah, it depends.

I have a Tirion Foundring that is an unbelievable pain in the ass for anyone who doesn't have a silence handy at late game.
  #38  
Old 04-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Yllaria is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Stockton
Posts: 10,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
. . . You're confusing two different cards. The one that copies a card from their hand (Mind Vision) only costs 1 mana. The one that costs 10 mana (Mind Control) steals control of an enemy minion of your choice.
Yes I was. Thanks. I actually used Mind Control to good advantage once last night. But that's once. I think it's going to be swapped on the next deck tweak.
  #39  
Old 05-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Jragon's Avatar
Jragon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 10,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby_Cat View Post
Is Argent Commander worth it? I hear that it's overcosted, at 6 mana for a 4/2, I dunno. Ping it once with anything (1-2 mana) and trade with almost anything else (1-2 mana), I guess you get card advantage?
Treat Argent Commander as if it were a 6 cost spell that could potentially do two removals. Obviously you can combo it with all sorts of nonsense that gives it taunt or a billion attack or whatever, but counting on that combo isn't really worth it, especially for a 6 cost (you can consider combos like this more seriously with something like Wolfrider). It's a good card, not super S tier, probably, but good.

As this thread shows, there's a lot of "I did this until I did this and started winning" stories, many of which are mutually contradictory, I think it's because people are typically on one side of the extreme and then find balance. I've lost matches both due to neglecting board control and due to not rushing down the hero. I mean, if you have an Ironbark Protector out and they have a 1/3 or something, let them crash against your wall and focus on them. There's not really much point in killing their minion. Likewise, when they have a ton of tiny creatures out don't just laugh and attack them, even if you have creature advantage, because an army of really small creatures can very quickly become an army of SCARY creatures if they have a removal or board clear or buff...

Overall, I think the biggest mistake I've made is having way too much taunt. I mean, never listen to blanket advice like "taunt is worthless", but taunt is an ability like any other. It's a creature with taunt, not a tank, this is not an MMO. Taunt is useful, but only a couple of creatures need it in a deck, it's mostly useful for buying you a turn or forcing the opponent into an awkward position. Too much taunt tends to just delay the inevitable. You'll survive a long time, and then lose (unless you're running a really specific strategy like a warrior going for a late game legendary spam or something). You generally just won't have the damage output and will waste all your mana on "surviving until I get a good draw". Basically, people try to make turtle decks without any real planned endgame. They focus on survival, but they don't really have any big drops or combos they're surviving TO. They say "this will help me survive" without asking "why do I need to survive this long?"

On the discussion of Novice Engineer -- I don't think it's really over or undervalued. I think the number of decks it's in is roughly proportional to its usefulness. I think it is, however, typically misued. Using it as a 1 or 2 drop to get early card advantage is about right, however, unless you absolutely NEED to use it midgame, you shouldn't. Where Novice Engineer shines is late game in decks with low cost creatures and spells. It combos well with knife juggler, Stormwind Champion, Frostwolf Warlord and so on, due to its low cost and the ability to replace itself in your hand you can potentially get several low cost cards off to trigger a combo or quickly make a scary army or creature. I think it's probably still one of the best starter cards, though it starts to fall behind in expert decks.

Last edited by Jragon; 05-03-2014 at 09:02 PM.
  #40  
Old 05-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Tom Scud is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,214
On a random note, has everyone seen that there's going to be an expansion, probably sometime this summer? It will involve duels against unique AI opponents; the first "wing" will be free but the subsequent wings will cost either real-world money or in-game "gold". I'm currently holding off on playing arena matches until I get my gold up to 2000 or so (I tend to win enough in arena to keep my money level more or less even but not to actually make a profit from it).

Blizzpro is keeping a spoiler of the revealed cards here:

http://hearthstone.blizzpro.com/2014...ler-card-list/
  #41  
Old 05-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Grumman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,508
The purpose of Taunt is primarily to force trades to go in your favour instead of in your opponent's favour. That means forcing big creatures to waste a turn knocking down a small taunt, or forcing little creatures to die in swarms trying to get through a big taunt, when your opponent would rather attack more valuable targets or targets that can't fight back. You don't want everything to have Taunt because if it does, you're back to your opponent being able to choose which of their creatures is best suited to attack which of your creatures.
  #42  
Old 05-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,634
That Shade of Naxxramas card is absolutely disgusting. There aren't many cards that can deal with it immediately.
  #43  
Old 05-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Tabby_Cat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: No Gum Here
Posts: 2,951
I dunno about immediately. If he unstealths, then most classes can deal with him and he's just another Questing Adventurer (I still don't know how to use this guy, if ever). If he sits there for 9 turns he might be a problem though, so the aim will be to punish the other player for giving up his turn 3. Then keep his board clear and keep cheap taunts on the board?
  #44  
Old 05-06-2014, 12:12 AM
Jragon's Avatar
Jragon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 10,513
As far as I can tell, Questing Adventurer is just a scare tactic. It gives your opponent an ultimatum: waste your time figuring out how to off this insignificant creature or get rolled by a big one. 90% of the time they deal with him immediately, but psychologically it can cause people who know how deadly he can get to overreact.

Last edited by Jragon; 05-06-2014 at 12:12 AM.
  #45  
Old 05-06-2014, 02:19 AM
Tabby_Cat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: No Gum Here
Posts: 2,951
I'm doing really horrible since the reset.

Got sick of ranked, went to the arena... and managed to get an equally horrible deck. Went 1 and 3.

I'm just going to lie here for a bit...
  #46  
Old 05-06-2014, 03:04 AM
Jragon's Avatar
Jragon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 10,513
Any ranked multiplayer game with seasons is going to be a mess near the beginning of the season. You have a higher chance of getting mulched by someone who should be a higher rank because the rankings haven't had time to even out yet. Remember, everyone started at rank 25 this season. The people who play the game religiously/professionally are already Rank 1 or whatever, but the people who are good (rank 5-10 maybe), but play more casually are probably still sitting at Rank 15-20 and steamrolling their way up little by little.
  #47  
Old 05-06-2014, 05:55 AM
bldysabba is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby_Cat View Post
I'm doing really horrible since the reset.

Got sick of ranked, went to the arena... and managed to get an equally horrible deck. Went 1 and 3.

I'm just going to lie here for a bit...
Heh. I have also had my last two decks go under 7 wins. 6 and 3. The 3 wins was particularly frustrating because it was a decent Priest deck, but in my first game I ran into a druid who put out a turn 1 Yeti that I couldn't deal with. I won the next three, and was about to win the next, when Windows decided to BSOD me. Log back in to find myself 3-2. Next game, got Cairne-d.
  #48  
Old 05-06-2014, 06:53 AM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
Remember, everyone started at rank 25 this season.
I don't think that's true. I got some bonus stars and started at rank 21.
  #49  
Old 05-06-2014, 07:24 AM
Jragon's Avatar
Jragon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 10,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
I don't think that's true. I got some bonus stars and started at rank 21.
Okay, either way, everyone started at a relatively low rank. I think it was indeed around rank 21 when all of a sudden I started encountering people with card backs from last season and well crafted decks with legendaries in them when previously it was all free/cheap decks.

Last edited by Jragon; 05-06-2014 at 07:25 AM.
  #50  
Old 05-06-2014, 08:31 AM
bldysabba is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,177
Bonus stars depend on your performance last season. Per wiki
Quote:
You’ll receive one bonus star for each rank you achieved in the previous season. For example, if you attained Legend, Innkeeper (Rank 1), or Black Knight (Rank 2) rank in any given season, at the start of the next season you would start off at Questing Adventurer (Rank 16) rather than Angry Chicken (Rank 25).
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017