Old 09-03-2018, 08:03 AM

NCAAF - The College Football Thread for 2018

Because someone has to do it. Mods, if it's better to combine this into the inevitable 2018 "Football" (College and Pros) thread, feel free.

So week one is now in the books except for an odd game or two.

Winners include Ohio State, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Oregon, Clemson, Georgia, Maryland, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and West Virginia to name a few. Penn State won, but just barely avoided a massive upset. Granted, some of these 'wins' were layups, but still...

Losers include Michigan, UCLA, Miami, Washington, and Texas.

Biggest disappointments so far are UCLA and Texas, both of whom were supposed to kick it up a notch this season but looked pretty wimpy this weekend. Still a long season, though.

I'm impressed by Notre Dame, which won a game of tough guy football. The game wasn't really as close as the final score indicated IMO.

Still trying to figure out if LSU's defensive line is really good or if Miami's offensive line and point of attack are really bad.

Auburn looked good until they get into the red zone, where Washington stuffed them repeatedly. Still, it was good enough for the W.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:54 AM

Both Nebraska (vs Akron) and Iowa State (vs South Dakota State) had their games cancelled. There are worries that this could affect either or both teams should they finish 5-6. I am trying to remember what happened the last time there was the possibility of a team ending up 5-6 after a cancellation; I think the NCAA said that they wouldn't give them waivers to make them bowl eligible, but they would be put at the front of the 5-6 list (which is normally in APR order) if it came down to including 5-win teams.

The suggested solutions I have seen so far involve having Nebraska play Iowa State on 12/1, either in Kansas City (the Chiefs are in Oakland that weekend) or Lincoln (with the proceeds split 50-50), assuming neither is in its conference's championship game.

One small problem: who does Akron play? Playing South Dakota State - or any other FCS school - does them no good, as they already play Morgan State, and you can't count two FCS wins toward bowl eligibility.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:17 PM

I think a 5-6 team can still go to the 25 or so worthless ESPN bowls nobody cares about with a 2/3 empty stadium. A lot of teams actually lose money on those games but go anyway.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:47 AM

I thought I saw that Nebraska was willing to play Akron in conference championship week provided it was needed by one of the teams?

Enjoyed the ESPN film room on the FSU/VT game. It had a bunch of currently unemployed coaches, instead of the lineups they get in the playoffs of coaches who worked against one or both teams recently enough to have relevant knowledge of film. That made it slightly worse, but it was still good to watch.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:29 AM

I know it's only been one game, but I am very unimpressed with Willie Taggart. The offense was completely impotent the entire game, and Francois has regressed big time.

What made it worse was the post-game where Taggart was like "I don't know what happened, they practiced great this week!"
Old 09-06-2018, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Two FIU players shot in a drive by shooting today. The victims usually aren’t random, so it’ll be interesting to see if there’s more to the story.
NBC Sports - CollegeFootballTalk: Two FIU football players shot in drive-by attack, both in stable conditionhttps://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/06/two-fiu-football-players-shot-in-drive-by-attack-both-in-stable-condition/
Old 09-06-2018, 08:34 PM

My Nebraska Cornhuskers had to wait a week to see Scott Frost's debut. Severe thunderstorms cancelled the Akron game, so now we'll open with old Big Eight rival Colorado.

We should improve on last year's 4-8... because how can we not? Then again, the Big Ten schedule is almost comically grueling:

AT Ohio State
AT Michigan
AT Wisconsin
AT Iowa

I dare Saban's Alabama to make it 4-0 through that.

Still, much excitement abounds with new coach Scott Frost.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Auburn looked good until they get into the red zone, where Washington stuffed them repeatedly. Still, it was good enough for the W.
I heard a lot of people say UW took a huge risk going up against Auburn this year. I don’t see it that way. If you’re undefeated but only against weak schools you’re not going to be ranked well. Even a loss against a good team can help if you make it a good game. We’ll see what that game means for the Huskies later this year.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:02 AM

How about Notre Dame's big opening win against Michigan? A great start against a top twenty team.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:14 AM

Texas really needs to stop scheduling Maryland for their opening game. Hey, Coach Herman, you're supposed to win tune-up games, convincingly even.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:51 AM

ESPN announcers were annoying in the run-up to Auburn v Washington. They put Washington over like they're uncrowned National Champions, and then made excuses for the loss.
They'll say anything to diss the SEC. LSU was seriously underrated going in to the Miami game, and likewise, Miami was way overrated. Loved that one. Shout out to Nicholls State for the
OT win over Kansas. Mississippi State romped over Stephen F. Austin, as expected. Was pleased with the Ole Miss win over Texas Tech. Rebels fans better enjoy it, because that defense is
bad. Really, epic badness. Bama may run for a mile against them. Speaking of Bama, they're really good. Again. ROLL TIDE!
"Yes, but that's because you're a wild human, not a tame human. The likes of you would have to be kept in a zoo, and the keepers would be very careful to never put their tentacles inside the bars"--Lemur866 describing Oak, 11/13/09
Molon labe--Leonidas I

Last edited by Oakminster; 09-07-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
How about Notre Dame's big opening win against Michigan? A great start against a top twenty team.
ND's defense looked great. Offense might be a struggle, but supposedly Michigan has an awesome defense. Only three more currently ranked teams on the schedule, so not as rigorous as in years past.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
ESPN announcers were annoying in the run-up to Auburn v Washington. They put Washington over like they're uncrowned National Champions, and then made excuses for the loss.
That’s ridiculous, UW was pretty good a couple of years ago and made it to the semifinals but last year had a major drop-off. There’s no justification for expecting them to be championship contenders before the season even begins.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Shout out to Nicholls State for the OT win over Kansas.
It’s worse than you thought, it was actually just Nicholls (not the better known Nicholls State).
Old 09-09-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
It’s worse than you thought, it was actually just Nicholls (not the better known Nicholls State).
No, it was Nicholls State, in Thibodaux, LA.
"Yes, but that's because you're a wild human, not a tame human. The likes of you would have to be kept in a zoo, and the keepers would be very careful to never put their tentacles inside the bars"--Lemur866 describing Oak, 11/13/09
Molon labe--Leonidas I
Old 09-09-2018, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, it was Nicholls State, in Thibodaux, LA.
That’s bizarre! I was listening to some XM College Nation dude who specifically said it was Nichols (and not Nicholls State) and when I looked at the ESPN scores, it said Nicholls (with two Ls) so I just assumed the experts knew what they were talking about.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
That’s bizarre! I was listening to some XM College Nation dude who specifically said it was Nichols (and not Nicholls State) and when I looked at the ESPN scores, it said Nicholls (with two Ls) so I just assumed the experts knew what they were talking about.
If you go to the Nicholls State website and click on Athletics, apparently the sports teams are called just "Nicholls." Also, Nichols College is a Division III school; I doubt any FBS program would schedule a football game against one of them (basketball, maybe, as each school is allowed two games against non-Division I teams that can be played (a) without counting against the regular season limit and (b) before the "official" start of regular season play, which is now the Tuesday after the first Friday in November), especially as it could not be counted as a win for bowl eligibility purposes.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Well...I sorta cheated. I have personal knowledge of that school, friends that teach there, and years ago had an intern (now a practicing lawyer in my building) that played football there. He was pretty excited about the win.
Molon labe--Leonidas I
Old 09-10-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
They'll say anything to diss the SEC...
WOW! I think that's the first time I've ever heard a fan say that SEC-SPN was biased against the SEC.

I kid, I kid, Oakminster

When my Nebraska was in the Big Eight, we KNEW the media hated quiet Osborne and influenced the refs to give folksy Bowden the 1994 Orange Bowl.

When Nebraska was in the Big XII, we used to say that ESPN was biased against us in favor of the Big Ten (1997 split national title as a case in point, with Michigan in ABC/ESPN's Rose Bowl).

Now that we're in the Big Ten, ESPN is obviously out to shut down the conference. (that's why 2 SEC teams got in ESPN's playoffs and zero Big Ten).

I believe everyone thinks the media is biased against their favorite team. When I was a youth, I'd like to troll chat rooms by asking "Does [your team] get enough respect?" EVERY fan shouted "NO!", even if they were the odds-on favorite.

Heck, I bet you'll find some Bama fans that will say the same thing.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Both Nebraska (vs Akron) and Iowa State (vs South Dakota State) had their games cancelled. There are worries that this could affect either or both teams should they finish 5-6. I am trying to remember what happened the last time there was the possibility of a team ending up 5-6 after a cancellation; I think the NCAA said that they wouldn't give them waivers to make them bowl eligible, but they would be put at the front of the 5-6 list (which is normally in APR order) if it came down to including 5-win teams.
Add West Virginia - NC State and North Carolina - UCF to the list; they have been cancelled because of Hurricane Florence.

Last edited by That Don Guy; 09-11-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:23 PM

...and Liberty - Norfolk State, although this game will be played on 12/1 if Norfolk State is not in the FCS tournament that weekend.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:54 PM

UNC was glad to avoid a likely beating from UCF. NCSU-WV probably would have been a good game.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:03 PM

East Carolina at Virginia Tech also cancelled
Old 09-12-2018, 12:53 PM

Bama-Ole Miss is my game of the week. Well...ok, I'm expecting a blow out, so it probably won't be a close/competitive game...but with Ole Miss having no defense, I want to see if Bama can actually run for a quarter mile or more against them.
Molon labe--Leonidas I
Old 09-13-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Bama-Ole Miss is my game of the week. Well...ok, I'm expecting a blow out, so it probably won't be a close/competitive game...but with Ole Miss having no defense, I want to see if Bama can actually run for a quarter mile or more against them.
There's LSU at Auburn. Personally, I think Auburn wins at home, as home teams tend to dominate that series IIRC, and Auburn's defensive line is probably stronger than LSU's O-line, but one never knows...
Old 09-14-2018, 07:29 AM

Personally, I think ESPN has a bias toward the SEC and against the Big Ten. I credit this to the fact that the Big Ten Network is aligned with Fox and not ESPN/ABC.

Michigan State can't catch a break this year. Dropped several points in the polls after week 1, in which they overcame a late score in a game in which every single break and bounce went the other way, and every single close call went the other way. Even a replay official overturned a correct call to favor USU. Then on week 2 they did not trail until the game was over, playing 2000 miles from home in god awful heat (115 on the field to start the game) and dropped to number 25. On top of that their very fine punter was injured and now a backup quarterback is taking over (punting, that is). Thank goodness for a bye week this week and then 3 very winnable games against Indiana, Central Michigan, and Northwestern. Perhaps the answer is to emulate certain other schools and play nothing but cupcakes in out of conference games.

Last edited by BobLibDem; 09-14-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Perhaps the answer is to emulate certain other schools and play nothing but cupcakes in out of conference games.
Which schools are those?
Old 09-14-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Which schools are those?
There's enough to go around. A TON of teams play ONE decent out of conference games plus 2-3 cupcakes. Some examples:

Georgia: Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee, UMass, Georgia Tech. OK, GTU is their big rivalry game but still, Austin Peay?

Oregon: Bowling Green Portland State, San Jose State.

Mississippi State: Stephen Austin, Kansas State, Louisiana, Louisiana Tech.

Oklahoma State: Missouri State, South Alabama, Boise State. Yeah, BSU was tough once.

Illinois: Kent State, Western Illinois, South Florida

Minnesota: New Mexico State, Fresno State, Miami (Oh)

Virginia Tech: William and Mary, East Carolina, Old Dominion

It isn't limited to one conference.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There's enough to go around. A TON of teams play ONE decent out of conference games plus 2-3 cupcakes.

<snip>

Yes of course. But what you said before was “nothing but cupcakes” which is why I asked.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:50 AM

Gotta give a shout out to my local D1 teams, UC and UK. Cincinnati beat UCLA in California in week one and are now 2-0. UC looks to continue to improve as coach Luke Fickell gets more and more of "his" recruits.

Kentucky beat Florida and is also 2-0. This UK team looks pretty good. It's too bad they are a basketball school in a football conference.

Last edited by FoieGrasIsEvil; 09-14-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Yes of course. But what you said before was “nothing but cupcakes” which is why I asked.
Yes I see your point and I shall walk it back just a bit. In my examples, there are a few teams (I'm looking at you, Oregon) that do indeed play pure cupcake NC schedules and a few play one halfway decent team plus two cupcakes. Rare is the team that plays two NC opponents that actually has a chance to beat them.

What I'd like to see is that teams play 10 conference teams, 1 true cupcake at the beginning of the season to serve as a tuneup, then one decent team. This would make playoff selection a bit more difficult as there would be fewer undefeated teams but it would save us from those teams waltzing through the schedule having only a couple challenging games.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
There's enough to go around. A TON of teams play ONE decent out of conference games plus 2-3 cupcakes. Some examples:

Georgia: Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee, UMass, Georgia Tech. OK, GTU is their big rivalry game but still, Austin Peay?

Oregon: Bowling Green Portland State, San Jose State.

Mississippi State: Stephen Austin, Kansas State, Louisiana, Louisiana Tech.

Oklahoma State: Missouri State, South Alabama, Boise State. Yeah, BSU was tough once.

Illinois: Kent State, Western Illinois, South Florida

Minnesota: New Mexico State, Fresno State, Miami (Oh)

Virginia Tech: William and Mary, East Carolina, Old Dominion

The Big-10 teams are not helped by the fact they have 9 conference games; if they want a good opponent, they don't have a lot of space for "cupcakes". But, yeah, the tendency in the SEC to schedule three teams who have no business calling themselves Div I teams and then one rival opponent of quality doesn't seem to hurt them in ranking. Of course, at the end of the season, if you're beating the teams from other conferences in accordance with the ranking you have, then it really doesn't matter, does it?

As for Boise St., aren't they 17th in the nation? I think that's worth being considered as more than a cupcake.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:07 PM

a game ended 91-61. in FB not BB.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...-quakers-91-61

and the team with 61 also scored 61 last week in a win
Old 09-14-2018, 02:09 PM

Also I see that a Division III school I've never heard of, Guilford, was able to put up 61 points on FCS Davidson, thus limiting its margin of defeat to only 30.

edit: Bijou Drains has a promising future as a ninja.

Last edited by Haunted Pasta; 09-14-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:10 PM

The stats for that game are just sick.

I’d love to see a recording of that game just for the novelty.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:22 PM

1,662 combined yards...in ONE GAME?

LOL.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:13 PM

Davidson and Guilford both have around 2k students. Davidson is pretty highly ranked for academics and hard to get into. Their recent fame is Steph Curry of the Warriors played BB there.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

FSU looks horrible and I think this year will be the year that the bowl streak is busted. I just don't see enough wins on the schedule for them to get into the most minor of the ESPN bowls.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
FSU looks horrible and I think this year will be the year that the bowl streak is busted. I just don't see enough wins on the schedule for them to get into the most minor of the ESPN bowls.
FSU is 113th out of 118 in FBS APR if you leave out the Pac-12 schools which are banned by the conference from going to a bowl if they're 5-7, so 5-7 won't be good enough for FSU to get in.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:50 PM

Go 'Huskers!!!!
Old 09-15-2018, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Maybe there will be a reason for an FSU vs Nebraska rematch!
Old 09-15-2018, 04:40 PM

I would merely like to point out the festival of good football player names in today's BYU-Wisconsin game.

BYU has a rusher named Squally Canada. On the other side, Wisconsin features the power running of Taiwan Deal*.

Meantime, there's receiver Gunner Romney piling up the yards for BYU.

*sounds like Trumpian foreign policy.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:05 PM

USC v. Texas

Proof you cannot beat the officials.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
USC v. Texas

Proof you cannot beat the officials.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:25 PM

7 Big 10 teams lost to non ranked teams outside the Big 10. (that's 50% of the conference) they lost to powerhouses like Temple, Troy, South Florida and Akron
Old 09-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
7 Big 10 teams lost to non ranked teams outside the Big 10. (that's 50% of the conference) they lost to powerhouses like Temple, Troy, South Florida and Akron
I was at the Northwestern game, introducing my 4 and 2 year old to college sports. What a brutal loss. 21 point favorites and lost by 3. (And I still don't understand why Akron let Northwestern get the ball on Akron's 30 with 2 seconds left instead of punting it away. Luckily for them, it didn't hurt them, but I couldn't figure out the rationale.) Oh, and Wildcats giving away 21 points on turnovers. Blech.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:47 PM

And let's not forget, the Southeastern Conference is overrated.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:50 PM

Meanwhile, there's an even more important question: will Chip Kelly be coaching the Bruins this time next year, or even at the end of this year?

Can UCLA win a game?
Old 09-17-2018, 07:19 AM

That'll teach the Big Ten not to schedule non-cupcakes. BYU was a decent team and caught Wisconsin flat. Rutgers had the guts to go out to Kansas State, who have had decent teams in recent years. Michigan loses to a good Notre Dame team on the road, Michigan State loses to a decent Arizona State on the road. PSU and OSU still undefeated.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:44 AM

no coach is fired after year 1 unless there is some major NCAA issue. Almost everyone gets 3 or 4 years. I know of a guy who was fired after 2 years but that is rare.