Old 01-22-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller0910 View Post
Just a belated reply to this - can't speak to Legend of Heroes, but for Divinity, at lower difficulty levels you can ignore all of this stuff completely. At the lowest difficulty level ("Story"), you literally can't die, so obviously it doesn't matter what you do in terms of setup. At the second-lowest level ("Explorer"), you just need to do the obvious, standard RPG stuff - level up strength for your fighters and intelligence for your mages. The third level ("Classic") gets difficult and requires a little bit of optimization but you can really win with any build. The last level ("Tactician") is a MASSIVE leap and becomes exponentially harder - Tactician really requires pretty tight optimization but Classic can be won with a suboptimal build and Explorer can be won with basically any moderately intuitive approach.

And the story is really good for a game of this kind. A lot of characters are set up in a particular way that makes them feel very trope-y, but go in directions you don't expect.
Yeah; Likewise for Legend of Heroes, you really don't need to "optimize" anything on the default ("Normal") difficulty level. If you can handle "I see this shop has weapon upgrades for my party, so I will buy as many as I can" then you've probably got the required level of mastery. If you can handle "This character misses more than I'd like, so I'm going to equip a thing with an accuracy bonus" or perhaps "I just lost to a boss that petrified my party, so this time, I will equip things that protect me from petrification!" then you are totally there. There aren't even really weapon choices. It's "This character uses one handed swords, so I'm going to get them the best one handed sword I can." There are more choices in other equipment types, but you can totally muddle through. The game isn't there for the challenge unless you push the difficulty setting WAY up.

You'll also probably discover that you don't need to keep much information "in your head" at all -- anytime you are considering using a thing or taking an action, there will be an explanation of what it does.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller0910 View Post
Just a belated reply to this - can't speak to Legend of Heroes, but for Divinity, at lower difficulty levels you can ignore all of this stuff completely. At the lowest difficulty level ("Story"), you literally can't die, so obviously it doesn't matter what you do in terms of setup.
"You should've led with that!" - Barbara Kean

Well, that settles it. THIS is what I've been talking about all this time, THIS is what I need, THIS is what I need right now, something completely free of the stress of four decades or electronic aggravation. Just get in there and have a blast firing off sheets of flame and energy bolts and ice storms (or whatever), and I can optimize my setup or master advanced tactics on my own time.

I'm going to get back into a genre I'd completely left for dead ages ago. This...this means a lot to me. Thank you.

Oh, just tossing off another question offhand: to anyone who's played Rock Band 4, how is the campaign mode? I find the song list underwhelming (per usual), but I might give this a try if has a really good story.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post
"You should've led with that!" - Barbara Kean

Well, that settles it. THIS is what I've been talking about all this time, THIS is what I need, THIS is what I need right now, something completely free of the stress of four decades or electronic aggravation. Just get in there and have a blast firing off sheets of flame and energy bolts and ice storms (or whatever), and I can optimize my setup or master advanced tactics on my own time.

I'm going to get back into a genre I'd completely left for dead ages ago. This...this means a lot to me. Thank you.

Oh, just tossing off another question offhand: to anyone who's played Rock Band 4, how is the campaign mode? I find the song list underwhelming (per usual), but I might give this a try if has a really good story.
Awesome! Make sure you go with Divinity 2, not the original, which I think is leaden and boring with an order of magnitude worse writing. And, one minor story-related piece of advice. You get to choose between generating your own character or using one of six pre-generated characters as your "primary;" you can then recruit up to three of those pre-generated characters to make up your party. All six have interesting side stories. I strongly recommend that you do not play as the character named "Fane," but that you do recruit him as a party member. Fane knows a lot about what's going on in the plot, which he will share with you if he is a companion but won't ever say out loud if he's your main character.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Mafia 3 might be of interest. It's fun but parts of it can be a bit frustrating (e.g.: storming the submarine in the Stones Unturned DLC*) until the player figures out the best way to handle those situations. Staying alive gets easier when Lincoln gets access to throwing knives.

*Most of the time, the trick is to go slow so you don't aggro too many mooks and get swarmed. Here you need to go fast to avoid the boss with the RPG and duck into a little room to pick off the mook coming up the stairs.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-29-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:40 PM

Noone's suggested Final Fantasy XV? I know it's like two years old but they're still updating it. There's another DLC due in March. I just love the game honestly and was surprised how good it was since my experience with the FF games has generally been disappointing past VII. The guy who voiced the main protagonist, wow. I was just blown away by his acting, especially at end game.

Games I enjoy on the PS4:

Witcher 3 - amazing story, great voice acting, great graphics
Subnautica - More of an open world, very little direction game (but there IS an end goal) so maybe not your cup of tea
Dragon Quest XI - Another JRPG, though completely different side of the spectrum from FFXV, I still enjoyed it
Rime - An enjoyable, low stress little adventure/puzzle game
Stardew Valley - Time management, farming game in the same kinda realm as those old Harvest Moon games

Fwiw, my 11 year old daughter is OBSESSED with Hatsune Miku Project Diva. Dear god, I am so SICK of listening to those songs in the background but she is GOOD. She's unlocked everything, has mastered 90% of the songs. I love rhythm games but I couldn't handle this one. So I'm impressed with her lol
Old 02-04-2019, 02:14 AM

Okay, update. First, a note about achievements. While I'm not obsessed about them and I'll gladly skip one or two that I find excessive or just not worth the effort, I do find them a useful indicator for how suitable a game is. If I can complete tasks in a nice, orderly progression, with a few others that I have to work on specifically, and maybe 10-30% that are out of reach, that's fantastic. If I find that I can get hardly anything and even the basic achievements look way out of reach, that's a pretty reliable sign that I made a bad purchase (Guitar Hero Live was a great example, and pretty much every fighting game ever would qualify). I always have an eye on achievements, and a very long dry spell is always a red flag.

Now then. Flower. I've had enough of this piece of junk as I can stand. (I wish I could say that I'm surprised at how quickly my opinion turned.) Granted, it had its share of annoyances, such as never being able to go backwards (hate that!) and the frequent jump cuts that continually disoriented me and made it really hard to stay on track. And the nonsensical-sounding achievements, one of which I couldn't even figure out at all.

All of which would've been at least mostly tolerable were it not for the fourth level, which had a very long stretch where I didn't have the faintest idea where I was supposed to go. I could see the new area in the distance, and I kept getting blown back because there was still the one thing I had to do in the previous area, which I didn't even have a clue for because this game had to have the immersion. Argh! Frustrating!

But I figured that could have been an anomaly, so I soldiered on, to the fifth level, where I damn near got tendonitis from the horrible vibrations every time I touched something I shouldn't. (Why doesn't the game have any option to shut off vibration?? I had to go into system options to shut off this torment.)

But okay, should've gone for the permanent solution in the first place, live and learn. And the next thing I learned was that this game was hopeless. Sixth level. Restore the city. Forced-movement lanes, blowbacks, and the same problem as level 4 where I don't now where to go, but with a much bigger area now.

Arcite, I'm not resentful...it was only about seven bucks, after all. But this is exactly why I have so much trouble getting testimonials that are actually helpful for me. Time and again I hear about things that are "really easy" and "relaxing", and I run into frustrations and irritations and annoyances and dead ends that no one's ever mentioned. Did I mentioned that WWE game I played for about 10 minutes before dumping it in the trash?

Little Big Planet 3 still looks good, though; will probably give it a chance sometime this year.

Got Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition this weekend. (I know 2's supposed to be the good one, but again, this is my first RPG in over two decades; gotta walk before I can run.) Wow. How do I put this...it's breathtaking simple and astoundingly complex at the same time, and seemingly designed to appeal to both little kids and raging militant ultra-hardcores (with a third level for the apparent centerline of this dichotomy). The story and gameplay...what little I've seen so far, anyway...are largely linear, and its not possible to get lost since 1. everything is mapped out to the last pixel (woot! ) and 2. there aren't a whole lot of places to go in the first place. There's a gigantic smorgasbord of skills, items, and attributes, all of which are fully accessible by all characters (this appears to be the big selling point). I have no illusions that I'll ever fully grasp all the things in this game, much less develop anything in the same friggin' galaxy as strategic mastery, and I'm going to hack 'n slash 'n flail 'n fumble 'n generally look like a bungling rank novice in my first, oh, 75 fights or so, but that's what Explorer level is for, right? Buddy, give me infinite health and I'll swim through a lake of acid. In fact, I completely fail to understand why I've never seen games that have this ever trumpet it. I have to imagine that this would make an enormous difference for a lot of players, especially those that aren't familiar with the genre. For crying out loud, Minecraft can't say "We have a mode where nothing that can kill you ever shows up!" Anyway, looks beautiful, having fun just going around and doing stuff, I'm sure I'm going to have a blast, thank you storyteller for telling me about this.

A few more quickie notes:

Shantae Half Genie Hero: Finally figured out how to beat the first boss, and I also got the second, although it was way too frustrating. Taking a break from this for a while and trying to figure out what I did wrong. Maybe I got the wrong powerups, or maybe I'm just extremely shellshocked from all the freakishly difficult/horribly designed platformers I've played over the past couple of years (I got took a lot more hits from those mermaids than I expected). It looks good and I look forward to making it further.

Atari Flashback Classics Vol. 1: Someone here said it best - the idea of being able to play classic Atari games on the PS4 is better than actually playing classic Atari games on the PS4. Still, it's good for what it is, a few minutes of blasting stuff. Will probably get the rest at some point. I would appreciate a proper paddle controller (anyone know where to get one?).

Brothers: Got a little bit into this. Yeah, it's a walking simulator, mainly existing to show quirky animations and pretty graphics. Works for what it is, and I'm haven't gotten the frustrations I did from Flower. Will get back to it again sometime.

Rime sounds like it's right up my alley; the exploration and discovery aspects of Assassin's Creed without the stress of combat or missions. Will definitely get it.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:07 PM

I got them. Initial impressions:

Rime - This looks really, really good. Heck, I'll go a step further: This is exactly what I need right now. While it has the look of the Myst games, it's not truly open-world, as tasks need to be done in a more or less specific order. Fortunately, there are subtle hints to help me along when I get stuck. "Dying" or getting stuck are non-issues; the game simply resets to the last safe area in the former case and the latter simply isn't possible. Much like Myst, the main appeal is getting things done and watching amazing things happen, and it's yet to disappoint so far. And for just $20 used? Best buy! (Or whatever the equivalent is here.)

Subnautica - Well, thank goodness for Creative, because otherwise I would've lasted for all of, oh, two minutes before running away screaming. This one's going to be a long haul, no question about it. The biggest problem is that, much like Minecraft, the wildlife is everywhere and you have no control over what they do, but whereas the worst a stray cow or pig could do was get in the way of your cart path, the fauna in Subnautica do not like you and will mess you up every chance they get. I called up a submersible craft and got out of it for a few seconds, and it was unceremoniously yoinked. This is the single most hostile environment I've ever seen in any game, and needless to say I'm going to be taking a lot of guidance from whatever wiki I can find. There is potential here, I can see it, but so far it's been a real baptism of fire and I'm going to have to take it slow. Am looking forward to contributing something to the thread here!

Divinity - Okay, here's what I found out. While there are a tremendous number of options, it's less a matter of having to hit the perfect combination or get walloped as different approaches to the same problem. Do you intend to fight every stubborn sentry you meet, negotiate with them, or hide in the shadows and sneak past? Do you want to learn lockpicking to get past those doors or smash your way through with brute force? I think that in time it could be managable. As for combat, Explorer Mode makes it a breeze, and thus far I've taken almost no damage from nearly every fight. Emphasis on "almost" and "nearly". You need SOME level of knowledge of the combat system, SOME skill, SOME experience. And as I'm going in completely raw, that worries me a bit. Again, what's "easy" for a 15-year combat veteran is anything but for, well, me. Will I be okay if I have some sort of healing? As for Story Mode, I haven't delved far into that yet, but it is possible to get killed. You have to really work at it, of course, and anyone with a little sense should have no trouble surviving. "A little sense" for a programmer, that is, and if it's possible to get killed by friendly fire and environmental hazards, there could be others...check that, there almost certainly are others. I really like the look of this and would hate to have to give it up because I ran up against an absolute terror or an instant-death trap that anyone could have very easily avoided. Anyone know the best place to learn about these? Main site isn't much help in this regard.

Will probably get the rest of the Atari Flashback Classics soon.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Seriously, I don't know how I possibly could've gotten such good suggestions otherwise. It feels pretty good to be back in the saddle, to remind myself that there is still fun and beauty in this hobby I've overindulged in for four decades.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:16 PM

I’m glad you found some games you’re having fun with.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:32 AM

Couple of late suggestions.

Submerged. Currently 2 dollars at the Steam store. Offer ends at the end of 02/12/2019. Descriptioin from Steam: "Submerged is a third-person combat-free game in which you explore a mysterious flooded city and discover the beauty of desolation in vast outdoor environments. You take on the role of Miku, a young girl who has brought her wounded brother to the city in their small fishing boat. Navigate the flooded city streets by boat, scale the drowned buildings, and use your telescope to scour the city for the supplies needed to save your dying sibling." Who doesn't ever die, by the way.

Journey. A classic from 2012. Another ruined world, you walk through a desert, explore the ruins of a fallen civilization, and have a transcendent experience. It had a multiplayer aspect but I suspect too few people are playing it now for it to kick in. If you are alone and in the same place as another player you will see each other. You can't talk or interfere with each other, but you can guide, simply by going ahead and waiting for them to catch up. Or be guided. It was weird.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:49 AM

Have you tried Skyrim Special Edition? It's a massive open world fantasy game. Combat difficulty is adjustable, there's a main story and multiple subquests/sidequests with tons of random exploring available as well.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
Have you tried Skyrim Special Edition? It's a massive open world fantasy game. Combat difficulty is adjustable, there's a main story and multiple subquests/sidequests with tons of random exploring available as well.
Iím pretty sure thatís exactly the kind of game heíd hate. Very fiddly, lots of twitch-based combat, many screens, inventory management... Almost everything he said he wanted to avoid.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Iím pretty sure thatís exactly the kind of game heíd hate. Very fiddly, lots of twitch-based combat, many screens, inventory management... Almost everything he said he wanted to avoid.
I don't find it very twitchy at all. The controls are not nearly as complicated as something like WWE 2K19. There is lots of inventory management...if you want to mess with it, but it is largely skippable. Sell everything that you loot, go out hunting again. Crafting is optional...though I hear at end game, enchanting is important.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmwgreen View Post
Couple of late suggestions.

Submerged. Currently 2 dollars at the Steam store. Offer ends at the end of 02/12/2019. Descriptioin from Steam: "Submerged is a third-person combat-free game in which you explore a mysterious flooded city and discover the beauty of desolation in vast outdoor environments. You take on the role of Miku, a young girl who has brought her wounded brother to the city in their small fishing boat. Navigate the flooded city streets by boat, scale the drowned buildings, and use your telescope to scour the city for the supplies needed to save your dying sibling." Who doesn't ever die, by the way.
Just bought this lol I figure for $2 it's worth a try. If you liked this, I'd also recommend The Flame in the Flood. Another great survival, exploration, boat game

On a similar note, if we're talking Steam games that are 'combat free', I've got to recommend The Talos Principle, The Witness and the ever classic Portal (and Portal 2). They're all very similar games that are focused on exploring and puzzle solving. Though Portal is more story driven but very entertaining. If you enjoy Rime, you'll really enjoy these.

And
Old 02-11-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
I'll throw out a recommendation for Ratchet & Clank. It's got a bit of humor, it's easy to learn and play, and there's no real penalty for dying. If you have a PS2, those games are the best, but the PS4 game is good too.
I will second this recommendation.
Plus, the games have the added bonus of being able to explore the levels in sandbox mode once you have completed the main objectives. I love exploring at my own pace and finding all the hidden items and getting 100% game completion.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m pretty sure that’s exactly the kind of game he’d hate. Very fiddly, lots of twitch-based combat, many screens, inventory management... Almost everything he said he wanted to avoid.
This gets into why I brought up the third Mafia: inventory management there is almost non-existent. Weapons are upgradeable but as an entire class (e.g.: pistols, rifles, etc.) rather than individually. Combat almost entirely depends on stealth and tricks rather than reflexes, especially after throwing knives are obtained.

Always go after any sentries first so they can't call in reinforcements. And drop mines at entrances just in case...

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-11-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:18 PM

All right...this will (probably) be the last one.

Rime is in the trash. No, it didn't take long. It's the part with the big flying terror that snatches you after a few seconds if you're not under cover and kicks you back to the last save point. Now, I could go into a very long tirade about the utter insanity of putting such a high-danger, high-stress hazard where you have SECONDS, SECONDS I TELL YOU to react or die in a game that seemed to be about exploration and wonder up to that point (the time-of-day puzzles were ingenious), but I'm not really up to it. So I'll just point out that you don't even get any indication of where go at that point. You hide beneath the panels, then you're jumping across then, then at some point there's a panel that doesn't go down, and...what? What? WHAAAAAT?? No idea how to proceed, and then at some point I get snagged again, start all over. Geez. Now, it wasn't perfect up to this point; there were definitely things that I think were carelessly designed or counterintuitive (the sun-moon puzzle, for one), but at no point did I find it horribly broken. Until that flying monstrosity showed up, and I'm pretty sure the programmers lost their minds and ramped that part up to a zillion. I said "pretty sure" because for all I could know it could be a bug, or a glitch, or something that didn't render properly, or a big hint that got wrecked for whatever reason.

And that's what made my search for a decent PS4 game so hard. I don't truck in "yeah but". If it has one outrageously difficult, or horribly designed, or ridiculously counterintuitive part, I can't tolerate it. Hell, I tossed Assassin's Creed Revelations due to those execrable first-person jumping levels, and they're not even part of the main game. I'm aware that console players (aside from "filthy casuals" like the Forza 7 buffoons) have reached an insanely high level (just looking at what the best Tekken or Guitar Hero players have accomplished is jaw-dropping), and it's only gotten higher now that there's such a big emphasis on community and multiplayer. They're made of iron. They can take everything and ask for seconds. I can't. There are just too many other entertainment options, too many things demanding my time, too many other pursuits that'd be improving my health, to waste another minute on Demon Bird Food Simulator.

Quick recap of what I still got:

Carnival Games: Meh. If I want to mash buttons and toss stuff wildly all over the place for three minutes, there are worse things. Trophies range from ridiculous to insane. Really umimpressive for an 8th-gen console, and definitely not worth $40 new. I remember things like Pac-Man Fever and the Wii omnibus games that didn't have as crisp graphics but still managed to be WAY more fun.

Atari Classics: Somewhat less meh. Still needs a dial controller. They do still hold up, though I'm glad I get that many. At $20 definitely a better deal than Carnival Games.

Divinity Original Sin: Okay, here's the thing. If it's not possible to take damage (and I can't imagine any company being so bold these days), the huge number of options and limited resources are minor concerns. Go forth and kick butt and don't worry about your toys. But because it is possible to take damage, things like weapons, armor, healing, supplies, protection etc. now make all the difference in the word. So far I've nixed three games on the first game because I found out I was horribly lacking in some department, and I've barely made any headway at all in the second. And I'm playing on the easiest easiest difficulty every single time. (Storyteller, you were completely wrong about not being able to die in 2 in Story Mode, and I'm not happy that I spent $53 to find that out.) Also, I've found that if you lack certain items or skills, you can get really screwed in a hurry (lockpicking and a good solid bow, in particular). Maybe I'll find something good here, but these are not games I'm convinced to spend any great amount of time on.

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons: Never mentioned this before, mainly because there's not a whole lot to talk about. This is a good one. Not fantastic, and the lead designer made it clear that he's more a movie person than a game person, but it works great for what it is, a simple, mostly linear journey where the best part is being able to find new places and see wonderful sights. The dual mechanic was a great concept and is something I'd like to see in more games. Much like the Peanuts game, not a whole lot of reason to keep going after you've accomplished everything, but I got it for like $7, so it's no biggie. No regrets!

Little Big Planet 3: Got this one yesterday, and thus far it's been...as expected. The slip-'n-slide is largely gone, but midair control is still syrupy, making it really hard to get some items. Still, I'm not hellbent on getting everything, so whatever. This one has the potential to be pretty good, and if it does go off a cliff at some point, you don't need to hear it from me.

Subnautica: Okay, here's where I'm at with this. This has what I call the Minecraft Problem. It's possible to be safe and get things done provided you stay safely within the cocoon of Creative. You always have whatever you need and even the most powerful enemies are no threat. But if you want to do anything meaningful, if you want to get into the story, get things done, find out why you're in this watery hellhole in the first place, that means stepping outside the cocoon, taking risks, learning tasks to do things that came so easily before. You'll recall what happened when I did that in Minecraft, right? A witch threw a potion at me, and I had to either get rid of the game or spend some quality time in the nearest ICU. I mean, I get that there's not much point to pay $30 for a game that you can literally win inside of a minute, but how far outside the cocoon am I really willing to step? Even the "Casual" (ha!) level requires oxygen, and lest you forget, the entire surface of the planet is covered with water. Also, I really, really do not like that there's no effective weapon for taking down big enemies. I'll stay in Creative for now, but I'm going to be fighting the temptation to say the heck with it, rocket off, and never return for a long time.

Seriously, thanks for all your suggestions, and this has been an interesting discussion. I don't like that I've squandered so much money on this hobby over the years, but I'm not going to be resentful over it...heck, probably would've blown it on comic books or jackets or model airplanes or car accessories. I got a PS4 library that should last for a while, and that's good for what it is.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Divinity Original Sin: Okay, here's the thing. If it's not possible to take damage (and I can't imagine any company being so bold these days), the huge number of options and limited resources are minor concerns. Go forth and kick butt and don't worry about your toys. But because it is possible to take damage, things like weapons, armor, healing, supplies, protection etc. now make all the difference in the word. So far I've nixed three games on the first game because I found out I was horribly lacking in some department, and I've barely made any headway at all in the second. And I'm playing on the easiest easiest difficulty every single time. (Storyteller, you were completely wrong about not being able to die in 2 in Story Mode, and I'm not happy that I spent $53 to find that out.) Also, I've found that if you lack certain items or skills, you can get really screwed in a hurry (lockpicking and a good solid bow, in particular). Maybe I'll find something good here, but these are not games I'm convinced to spend any great amount of time on.
Well, regarding the Story mode thing, I'm puzzled, because in story mode as I have experienced it you can't die - your characters can be "killed" but you have unlimited resurrection ability so you can just keep rolling no matter what happens.

For the rest, your experience is your experience; I'm sorry you haven't enjoyed it. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty level with no lockpicking at all, and so far I haven't encountered a single significant roadblock; obviously there are a few chests I can't open but I haven't had a problem advancing. Is there a particular place you've found lockpicking to be mandatory? Where were you having trouble advancing difficulty-wise? I'm genuinely curious, but feel free to ignore me if you don't care to spend any more time on this.

Last edited by storyteller0910; 02-19-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:42 PM

My rebate offer for Trails of Cold Steel still stands. If you can find a way to not enjoy that game, I will buy it off you.

But yeah, it doesn't release on PS4 for another three weeks.

Last edited by Airk; 02-19-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:32 AM

I wish you'd stuck with Rime all the way through. I would have liked to hear what you thought of the ending. Well anyway, if the "death from above" bit in Rime is a problem, then it's a problem and you aren't going to want to try Unfinished Swan either, or Journey. Or a lot of games. Game designers just love that whole terror-dactyl vibe. I'd still recommend Submerged as it is simply tootling around a ruined city. Also, have you seen Gorogoa?
Old 02-20-2019, 01:25 PM

Maybe you'd like Walden; I haven't played it though.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I wish you'd stuck with Rime all the way through. I would have liked to hear what you thought of the ending. Well anyway, if the "death from above" bit in Rime is a problem, then it's a problem and you aren't going to want to try Unfinished Swan either, or Journey. Or a lot of games. Game designers just love that whole terror-dactyl vibe. I'd still recommend Submerged as it is simply tootling around a ruined city. Also, have you seen Gorogoa?
I picked up Rime for the Switch* last Saturday and I thought it was gorgeous but the puzzling was shallow. Storywise, I thought it was risky to try to tackle as weighty a topic as they did but I thought it worked. I'm a pretty sappy guy though.

Gorogoa is very pretty, no time limits, no swooping birds, just quiet contemplative puzzles. Pretty short though.

*Yes, yes, I should have gotten the PC version. I know better now.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:55 AM

Wow...I can't remember a last time a video game discussion was so...empathetic. (Can't remember the last time I used the word "empathetic" on this board either. )

storyteller - See, the thing about Divinity is that there is a ton of stuff, and since more or less everything is a nonrenewable resource, I don't want to risk missing out on anything. One thing I learned very quickly is that if you're underequipped, underpowered, or underskilled, or otherwise take on a battle before you are absolutely ready, you WILL get creamed in very short order regardless of difficulty. Now it's possible that a lot of stuff is junk or otherwise not essential, but how do I know? And how do I know that a seemingly harmless decision or conversation option I make now won't bite me 10 missions down the line? I went in with the expectation that I could just wade in, go nuts, and learn by doing, and now I've gotten killed once and nearly killed a second time and I have a hundred questions and a thousand anxieties. Maybe it's unfounded, maybe it's possible to progress without a whole lot of skill on Story Mode, but it'd have been nice to know that going in.

Okay, something that will help...how does this "unlimited resurrection" work? Do I need a certain NPC helper? A certain skill? Do I have to be past a certain point in the game? GameFAQs isn't much help, unfortunately.

Airk - You're serious about this, aren't you? Okay, here's the deal. To get a physical copy (which I'll need if I'll be able to sell it to anybody), I'll have to go to a place that has a physical copy. Probably Sam's Club, with Best Buy as as second choice. At the time of release, it's probably going to be pretty expensive. Now, on one hand, I understand that programmers need to eat like everyone else and selling full-priced games is pretty much they're only crack at making a decent living. On the other hand, imagine blowing $20 on garbage like Rime or Project Diva X; now imagine blowing three times as much. Please note that I've never so much as touched any kind of JRPG in my life and have recently undergone an extremely harsh baptism of fire with Divinity, so I'm not exactly champing at the bit.

I'll PM you if I want to take you up on your offer. Paypal preferred, and I'll provide my e-mail address. You can also send me a cashier's check, but I think that's more trouble than it's worth. You're going to have to take my word on the price, as I have no means of scanning a receipt into my computer.

pmwgreen - Know what's not only my favorite XBox 360 game ever, but the only one I actually remember enjoying playing? Don King Presents Prizefighter, which had the most cliched, hackneyed, utterly predicable story imaginable. Seriously, it could be summed up as "every low budget boxing movie ever". I loved Super Mario Bros. 2 before I learned that the events took place within a dream and I loved it after. A subpar or outright terrible story isn't going to ruin a good game for me, and a visionary, masterfully-written story isn't going to save a bad one. I can't remember a time an ending really knocked my socks off, though a few PS2 games did come close.

As far as giant airborne stumbling blocks go...well, going back to Don King Presents Prizefighter, going through career mode on the hardest level is required for a bunch of stuff, so I did, and I got destroyed so many times the ICU named a life-threatening injury after me. But that was...okay, "fine" is a little too strong, but at least tolerable...because the game got a little easier after each loss. I was taking a pretty big leap of faith with this, and it turned out the programmers had some decency after all. There was a always a safety valve, a bone tossed my way, light at the end of the tunnel. Contrast that to Rime, where if you don't know exactly where to run and exactly which buttons to press and when within roughly five seconds, snatch, kicked back, no reprieve. Myst used to be like that, which got frustrating, which is why later versions had built-in hints. No such luck here; it's all about the immersion now, which means that utterly impossible now, utterly impossible always. I can't accept that. I don't care if it's a monster bird, a slowly advancing wall, or a plain board with a bunch of marbles on it. No hope, no more.

From what I've been able to find out about Submerged, it's essentially has maybe a third of the exploration aspect of Assassin's Creed 4 and also lacks any of the other cool stuff in the game. Let me be clear: I am not against danger or combat. I am against getting walloped over and over and over and being utterly powerless to do anything about it (which is I didn't mentioned fighting games and will continue to not mention them). Assassin's Creed lost me when Ubisoft decided to make combat 200 times harder, and I think that's a shame; it should not be a choice between absolute pacifism and constant nerve-racking death matches. That said, if I have to make that choice, I'm absolutely going for the former. I'm not going out of my way to get this, but I'll definitely give it a shot once I've had enough with Subnautica (which I imagine may not take very long).

Inner Stickler - Gorogoa does look incredibly pretty, and as a general rule I want to support truly creative endeavors, as it's our only chance of breaking out of the terrible monotony which was why I made this thread in the first place. It reminds me of a well-made mobile game, of all things. Thanks, this looks like a must-have!
Old 02-23-2019, 12:41 PM

Subnautica, dammit...what was I thinking?? How did I look at this unbelievably hostile, dangerous, treacherous world and think that it would somehow become GOOD? I can't hunt, I can't salvage, I can't build things were I want, hell, half the time I can barely see. And when I want to just blast off and never return, hell, I can't even do that because of some Quarantine-whatever-whatever-something. And yes, I know it's all in the Wiki. Literally EVERYTHING is in the Wiki, ever task, every location, everything. I've never seen a game in my life where I was so utterly shackled, unable to get anything at all done. And that's not even getting into the constant danger the moment I step out of Creative, which, trust me, is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. This game gave me a damn headache, and it's not like I don't have enough as it is.

[Deep, deep sigh]...give a brainless beat-'em-up any day. Final Fight 2 kept me going for countless hours.

Will pick up Submerged, but maybe in a month or two...
Old 02-24-2019, 03:15 PM

I hope you find something. Do you have RedBox in your area? You can rent games as a try before you buy method. Sadly, the only one I see listed is Fallout 4, still a very good game. How's your PC? Gorogoa is really better on a PC than a PS4, as the game controller makes a lousy mouse. Also you can return games on Steam if you haven't played more than two hours. Plus, plus, if you have a friend with a steam account they can share games with you to try them out.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:38 PM

Thanks, pal. Haven't used my Steam account in a while, but I'll give it another shot. Will definitely get Gorogoa; it looks magnificent.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks, pal. Haven't used my Steam account in a while, but I'll give it another shot. Will definitely get Gorogoa; it looks magnificent.
Itís a great game, halfway between art and entertainment. The puzzles are clever and it tells a thoughtful story without any words. My only complaint is that itís pretty short but it packs a lot into the limited time it takes. I wish there were more games like it, but then again if there were then it wouldnít be so unique, so it might be better that way.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Airk - You're serious about this, aren't you?
Thoroughly. I've played the game through twice, on PS3 and PC, and I could do worse than to have a copy on PS4 in case there is some sort of save import to the third game when it comes out later this year. Plus it looks like it comes with some goofy extras.

Quote:
Okay, here's the deal. To get a physical copy (which I'll need if I'll be able to sell it to anybody), I'll have to go to a place that has a physical copy. Probably Sam's Club, with Best Buy as as second choice. At the time of release, it's probably going to be pretty expensive.
This is legit. (Though there are lots of places on the internet which will ship you a physical copy.)

Quote:
Now, on one hand, I understand that programmers need to eat like everyone else and selling full-priced games is pretty much they're only crack at making a decent living. On the other hand, imagine blowing $20 on garbage like Rime or Project Diva X; now imagine blowing three times as much. Please note that I've never so much as touched any kind of JRPG in my life and have recently undergone an extremely harsh baptism of fire with Divinity, so I'm not exactly champing at the bit.
Yep. Though I like to think of this as a risk free situation. Also, I regard JRPGs as a completely different genre from Western games like Divinity.

Quote:
I'll PM you if I want to take you up on your offer. Paypal preferred, and I'll provide my e-mail address. You can also send me a cashier's check, but I think that's more trouble than it's worth. You're going to have to take my word on the price, as I have no means of scanning a receipt into my computer.
Haha, yeah, Paypal, thanks. I'll pay up to $50 plus tax, because that's the price both Amazon and Best Buy list right now. If you somehow manage to pay more than that, you done screwed up. :P
Old 02-25-2019, 02:32 PM

I know you said you don't like turn based games but I want to recommend one to you based on your original post. I want to recommend Disgaea 5 complete.

It is a turn base strategy rpg game and it's appeal is character creation and improvement. It struck me that you would enjoy this based on how you enjoyed building up your wrestling tournaments.

It does have several systems that add complexity but they are really optional and they can be ignored until you want to build on them.

The story line isn't the deepest but it's fun. It can be finished fairly early and is only challenging if you don't grind. Grinding though is what the game is about so if you don't enjoy the game loop it will not suit you. Every action you do though strengthens your characters and often in several ways. Just swinging a weapon directly strengthens 3 different skills. You're never not improving or not improving your situation in noticeable ways.

Which brings me to the thing you mentioned that I think you'd like here: cheats. This game revels in cheating. It's not what you do to break the game, it's a game mechanic you unlock and use to further improve your team. It's called the cheat shop.

With cheats and the ability to choose where to battle you are only ever over matched when you choose to be and you don't lose much progress if you do lose a battle with the game autosaving right before the battles.

It's meta game is like the Diablo series. The game is finished early if that's all you want but the vast majority of your time will be after that improving your character and fighting post game bad guys.

The game is all about grinding. The game play cycle is incredibly fun to me. I don't normally enjoy grinding but I can pick this up at any time, play 10 minutes or so and feel like I've had fun and accomplished something and I don't find many games like that even though I've played many that should have. The variety keeps it fresh. There are a slew of characters with a slew of skills and traits and you're never doing the same thing over and over unless you want to and when you want to you can actually complete levels in under 30 seconds. Yay cheat shop.

The earlier Disgaea games are fun but they are way too grindy for me but they have concentrated on QoL improvements so its removed much of the annoying bits.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:44 AM

He didn't say he didn't like turn based games. He said he didn't like turn based games with tons of numbers and lots of randomness.

Disgaia definitely has tons of numbers, but I don't remember it being very random, so it MIGHT suit, but I am skeptical. (Partly because _I_ didn't like it.)
Old 02-28-2019, 01:58 AM

Mmmmmm...it's looking like a pretty steep learning curve, and I've never had any luck whatsoever with highly tactical games (which is the main reason I'm struggling so much with Divinity). And the kind of "cheats" I'm looking for aren't some expensive tool that gives some minor edge. When I said Codebreaker, I meant the friggin' Codebreaker, an utterly shameless disk which granted massive boons such as infinite ammo and all abilities unlocked just like that, which, in many cases, made it completely impossible to lose. I can't even begin to list the PS2 games that would've been nearly unplayable or complete nightmares without this tool...the entire Dynasty Warriors series, Time Crisis 2 and 3, pretty much all the fighting games, Contra: Shattered Soldier, Silpheed, Gran Turismo 3, Smackdown vs. Raw 2006, Black And Bruised...it just goes on and on. Also, I find the whole "anime" aesthetic in video games a real turnoff. Heavy-handed and loaded, and over the course of several hours it just gets incredibly wearisome.

But no harm in watching some videos, and who knows, if I can't ever find a decent dial controller for Atari Flashback Classics, I might consider picking it up cheap. Really, really cheap.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Mmmmmm...it's looking like a pretty steep learning curve, and I've never had any luck whatsoever with highly tactical games (which is the main reason I'm struggling so much with Divinity). And the kind of "cheats" I'm looking for aren't some expensive tool that gives some minor edge. When I said Codebreaker, I meant the friggin' Codebreaker, an utterly shameless disk which granted massive boons such as infinite ammo and all abilities unlocked just like that, which, in many cases, made it completely impossible to lose. I can't even begin to list the PS2 games that would've been nearly unplayable or complete nightmares without this tool...the entire Dynasty Warriors series, Time Crisis 2 and 3, pretty much all the fighting games, Contra: Shattered Soldier, Silpheed, Gran Turismo 3, Smackdown vs. Raw 2006, Black And Bruised...it just goes on and on. Also, I find the whole "anime" aesthetic in video games a real turnoff. Heavy-handed and loaded, and over the course of several hours it just gets incredibly wearisome.

But no harm in watching some videos, and who knows, if I can't ever find a decent dial controller for Atari Flashback Classics, I might consider picking it up cheap. Really, really cheap.
You do realize that you just spent a whole paragraph complaining about games that are too hard and then said "Y'know what I really want to play? Some old Atari games!" Cripes. Those things were abusive.

Also, kinda confused by disliking "anime aesthetic" when you used to love Hatsune Miku games?
Old 02-28-2019, 10:47 PM

I was there for the whole rise and fall of Atari, so I can certainly attest to some unforgiving games. In fact, I'd argue that the really brutal ones weren't even the ones on Atari Flashback Classics, but from '84-'89: Marble Madness, Peter Pack-Rat, 720 Degrees, Super Sprint/Championship Sprint, Road Blasters, Klax, Blasteroids, Xybots. But taking AFC as a whole, well, as far as overall entertainment, I think $60 for three volumes is a pretty good deal. There's plenty of dumb-but-fun stuff, especially in the 2600 collection, and I don't think any company has ever gotten more out "move that thing to that other thing" gameplay. Sure, no one game is going to hold my attention for very long, but there's dozens here, so I'm not too worried. I do think that a proper dial controller is a necessity for some of them, particularly the Pong-style games. Bottom line, as long as I can Swiss cheese-ify walls in Outlaw and mow down helpless biplanes in Air-Sea Battle, I'm not going to sweat cracking Crystal Castles' high score chart.

As for Project Diva...well, first off, obligatory link and other obligatory link. The wonderful, beautiful, insanely cool thing about Vocaloids is that they have no canon, no backstories, and no pretense, and therefore the producers can do whatever they want with them. Friendly, morose, irascible, melancholy, sweet, stubborn, curious, patient, weird, they can be it, because they can be literally anything. If you plop rigid, heavy-handed, hard-wired personalities onto them, this completely ruins what made them so appealing (to me) in the first place...and this was exactly what Sega did with the later Project Diva games. I won't bother going into details, but there was one time in F2 that I gave the wrong present to Rin, and she got furious and started yelling at me. Which would've been upsetting enough in itself, but given that this was a character who was supposed to be based on a tool, and wasn't supposed to be even capable of such a negative reaction in the first place, that Sega would even make that a possibility was downright offensive.

And no, I don't like the anime aesthetic. The tropes, the rules, the conventions, the hang-ups. I don't like all the shouting, all the bickering, all the prudishness and heteranormativity and smarm. It's just so...so lame.

Be interested in hearing what you didn't like about Disgaea 5, though.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
And no, I don't like the anime aesthetic. The tropes, the rules, the conventions, the hang-ups. I don't like all the shouting, all the bickering, all the prudishness and heteranormativity and smarm. It's just so...so lame.
Wow, while I can agree with some of these, prudishness and heteronormativity are NOT things I would put in that bucket... and even if I did I wouldn't call it an "aesthetic".

Quote:
Be interested in hearing what you didn't like about Disgaea 5, though.
I didn't actually play Disgaea 5, I played Disgaea 2, but I've never seen anything to indicate the game has changed anything significant. My issues with it were:

A) Gameplay was...fine. But not super compelling. It just wasn't satisfying to win battles, but the mechanics didn't seem engaging enough for me to want to raise the difficulty.
B) The humor was... not really that humorous. (It's possible this has been fixed)
C) The story was an afterthought.
D) 80% of your team was made up of generic units, so they're not really anyone you can get attached to.

Anyway, it's a turn-based tactics game, and based on your dislike of tactics and challenges, I'd steer away, because I don't think it has much else to offer.

Last edited by Airk; 03-01-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airk View Post
Wow, while I can agree with some of these, prudishness and heteronormativity are NOT things I would put in that bucket... and even if I did I wouldn't call it an "aesthetic".
Gotta agree with you on this. I read that and was thinking, wth kind of games are they playing? Cause that is definitely not the case I've seen with games from the last like five or even ten years. And I don't understand the whole 'I like the characters to have no personality/history/anything at all' thing. It sounds like you just want a doll? For lack of better word. Fwiw my daughter plays Hatsune Miku ALL the freaking time lol It's definitely a fun game if you're into rhythm style games but it's way too crazy (visually) for my old brain to keep up with. I prefer rhythm games that actually focus on the rhythm and not how fast you can push ALL TEH BUTTONS. I'm looking at you Rhythm Heaven!
Old 03-01-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Fallout 4.
I have to agree. It has a feature called VATS that slows everything down and basically turns combat into a cut scene rather than a twitch shooter, and is 100% optional. With the right perk points you can use that feature almost 100% of the time. You can play a stealth character with very little armor, a near-invincible straight up fighter in power armor, and everything in between.

I will admit I've looked stuff up for it on the internet, but that's mostly because I'm a completist and it's hard to know what you don't know. I believe it is 100% possible for anyone of average intelligence and below average gaming experience to finish the main quest line of this game without any outside assistance.

Pity you're on a PS4 though, IIRC they are the only platform that doesn't support mods, which makes the game truly spectacular (ANY complaint you have about the game? There's a mod for that).

Last edited by Ashtura; 03-01-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSoft View Post
Gotta agree with you on this. I read that and was thinking, wth kind of games are they playing? Cause that is definitely not the case I've seen with games from the last like five or even ten years. And I don't understand the whole 'I like the characters to have no personality/history/anything at all' thing. It sounds like you just want a doll? For lack of better word. Fwiw my daughter plays Hatsune Miku ALL the freaking time lol It's definitely a fun game if you're into rhythm style games but it's way too crazy (visually) for my old brain to keep up with. I prefer rhythm games that actually focus on the rhythm and not how fast you can push ALL TEH BUTTONS. I'm looking at you Rhythm Heaven!
I'm not sure they were saying they don't want ANY characters to have personality, but rather than the vocaloids are expressly not supposed to have any (fixed) one. Which still doesn't align with the other complaint, because, as they say, if there's no fixed personality, then nothing you do is wrong.

But uh, I don't know where the "vocaloids have no fixed personality" thing is coming from either. While the vocaloids are absolutely "mascot characters" that doesn't mean they don't have personalities.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:40 PM

Played a little more Little Big Planet 3. It's pretty obvious now that I'm not going to come within a parsec of getting all the items, and the game's constant insistence of bring in other players (No! No! No! Is that clear enough?) is getting a little annoying. However, the basic gameplay isn't all that tough, and I've done enough platforming to know how to work my way through a level. At any rate, the main game should be managable, and that's all I need right now. Giving it a tentative thumbs-up, and if that ever changes, I'd really rather not talk about it, at least here.

Airk - I'll start a new thread about Vocaloid in Cafe Society (probably tomorrow; I don't have the energy for anything today).

As for Legend of Heroes: I've watched some videos, and you don't need to know the gory details, but I'm getting serious misgivings about this one. In any case, there's absolutely zero chance I'm paying full retail for it on launch day. Maybe I give it a look if I get anywhere in Divinity, but I'm not guaranteeing anything.

Ashtura - Yeah, that's what I figured... that's what I feared, really. Consoles aren't dead, they're just old and inflexible. No surprise all the fun Minecraft videos use the PC version.

Heck with it, I'm probably going to have to just bite the bullet and get Rock Band 4.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
...snip...
Pity you're on a PS4 though, IIRC they are the only platform that doesn't support mods, which makes the game truly spectacular (ANY complaint you have about the game? There's a mod for that).
Fallout 4 on the PS4 has mods, although not the complete make-overs you get on the PC. Someday I will get a PC that can run FO4, for now I'm on the PS4. I'm trying out "NPCS Travel" and "Chestnut Hill Station" mods right now for the PS4, both beautifully done.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:14 AM

I though you'd already watched some videos.

It's nothing like Divinity though, so don't let that concern you. Seriously; There are exactly zero blocking points in the game. No "You don't have enough healing items" no, "you need to be able to pick this lock" nothing.

Last edited by Airk; 03-04-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fallout 4 on the PS4 has mods, although not the complete make-overs you get on the PC.
AIUI, Sony hates mods that alter game files. So no adding weapons, armor, or anything else that requires custom textures, except through the Creation Club.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-04-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:19 AM

May as well wrap this one up (for reals this time).

Gorogoa - This is a...strange one. It is, as advertised, astonishingly pretty, and seeing the various illustrations interact with each other and create new areas is pretty breathtaking. The problem? I rarely have any idea of what I'm supposed to be doing. Oh, sure, I can see that the boy has to get the bowl up the stairs or the star has to go into the lantern or whatever, but getting from point A to point B is almost always an ordeal. Now, one would argue that it's supposed to be like this, that part of the appeal is the joy of discovery. The problem is that there are so many dimensions and layers that it can get really hard to tell what goes what what, or what's supposed to interact with what. (Several tasks require separating a picture into two parts, and it kinda chafes me that there's never any indication of when the picture will actually happen.) Myst at least had clues, even if they could get obtuse at times. Here, I'm brute-forcing it at least 75% of the time, and I expect that to become 100% when I get to the hard chapters. Of course, these are one-time headaches, and the second time around should go considerably smoother. And there's no time pressure, except for the occasional puzzle (the falling-rock one was truly ingenious; mad props for that one). Right now I'm not sure whether this is a stupid, aggravating clunky game which just happens to have wondrous artwork and a beautifully creative premise or a very good game which just happens to be needlessly obtuse and frustrating. Maybe both. Or somewhere in the middle.

Submerged - As advertised. You wanted a game with no danger whatsoever and all you do is explore and get stuff, you got it. It's like someone consciously set out to make a game that had the elements of Assassin's Creed that Ubisoft hasn't yet utterly ruined. And so far...I'm liking what I'm getting! The heroine, Miku (man, who would've thought this would become my favorite game with someone named Miku in it ), climbs, leaps, collects, upgrades, and records, all in the service of her ailing brother. There isn't really anything else, but there doesn't have to be. Nobody has a clue how to do balance anymore...Rime drove that reality home very hard...and I don't mind doing the nice stuff for an entire game.

Well, this has been quite the journey. I feel utterly drained. I haven't been this physically and mentally exhausted from playing games since I did the sorta easy stuff on Pump It Up. I did learn a lot about myself and the state of video games are in now. Wasn't always pleasant, but I have no regrets. Anyone got any more suggestions, fire away, but I'm just too spent to start anything new right now. Thanks to everyone for your time and patience.

Now if you'll excuse me, I really have to get back to my IPad. Damn, how many weeks has it been...
Old 03-11-2019, 09:03 AM

Erm, we must have totally different ideas of what it means to "do balance" because frankly, modern games are WAY more balanced that most of the old ones.

What is a game you would say was well balanced?
Old 03-11-2019, 08:00 PM

I am glad you found games you enjoy DKW.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I am glad you found games you enjoy DKW.
Seconded. Don't forget about Lego City Undercover and perhaps Fallout 4.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:40 AM

N/M

Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 03-18-2019 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Wrong thread.