Old 02-01-2019, 10:05 AM

NHL February 2019

Was the Stamkos-Malkin fight the most expensive ever in terms of salary of the players involved?
Old 02-01-2019, 12:39 PM

It's one of the lamest fights I've ever seen, I know that.

WOOT! 8 games tonight, and I gotta work all night until 5am so I won't see any of them!

Hey wait; that's not woot-able...
Old 02-05-2019, 01:09 PM

A tough loss to Carolina after a week off now gives way to playing the team with the best record in the league on their own ice... the Knights really need to find a way to win tonight.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:34 PM

WOOT!

Go Knights! Awesome shootout win in Tampa! Man, we needed that!
Old 02-06-2019, 12:20 AM

Fuck, that SUCKED. Although Dan Potash did help a little.

(I can't wait to see what he has planned for 90s Night!)
Old 02-06-2019, 12:46 AM

So, Auston Matthews signs in Toronto for an average of $11.63 M for five years. Personally, I think this is a great deal for all. Sure, it seems like an insane amount, but I'm convinced he will be the most dominant forward in the league by the time this contract expires. And he'll only be 26 by then and who knows what his worth will be by then.

Anyway, now they need to lock up Marner. I don't know how Dubas can do it, but he will.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
So, Auston Matthews signs in Toronto for an average of $11.63 M for five years. Personally, I think this is a great deal for all. Sure, it seems like an insane amount, but I'm convinced he will be the most dominant forward in the league by the time this contract expires. And he'll only be 26 by then and who knows what his worth will be by then.
I agree: this is a good deal for Matthews and for the Leafs, for all the reasons you listed.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:50 AM

Maybe obscure/meaningless but Ovechkin passed Federov last night and now has the most NHL points of any Russian born player.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-n-va View Post
Maybe obscure/meaningless but Ovechkin passed Federov last night and now has the most NHL points of any Russian born player.
I saw that story late last night, too. I've said it before; I'll say it again: Ove is a fucking monster! I can't help but love the guy, he shows such joy in playing and he's so ddamned good.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

I really wonder if the Washington Capitals aren’t kicking themselves for not making a new contract work with Barry Trotz.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:38 PM

Good god, Pens, why are you doing this to me? You're breaking my heart!
Old 02-08-2019, 01:03 AM

Tonight was a Good Hockey Night but I do wish the Coyotes had somehow managed the upset. Ah well, can't have everything; where would you put it?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-08-2019 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:45 AM

Yup.
But giving them a good run for their money are Jamie Benn (consistently one of my top five overall players, and a cool cucumber - all class) and Joe (no, not Shawn) Thornton, exchanging OODLES of connecting tags. I'd link it from youtube but I'm without a computer for a week until I get the new one, which asplodingly sucks.
And I think they've had more than one tilt, actually.
This is how coaches' hair can get gray quickly.

I wanna see Pettersson take on Chara

Old 02-08-2019, 02:55 AM

Oops.
This is what happens when trying to get the hang of posting by phone, and doing slip-ups like repyling to an opening post before waiting for the remaining posts to load.
And now, to read remaining posts.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:20 AM

Quote:

Anyway, now they need to lock up Marner. I don't know how Dubas can do it, but he will.

Yeah those numbers sound about right. Has to keep that shoulder in check.
Marner will be a bit thornier. Would that make it a wbopping four players making ten or more?
That would put extra pressure on them if they didn't meet expectations, leading to salary disribution issues.
And sealing the deal with Tavares, too.
Solid.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:01 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

The Leafs are putting themselves in position to have about a 5-6 year window to win some Cups. When the contracts they are signing now for Nylander and Matthews and Marner expire, it will put the team in a serious cap space crunch.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
The Leafs are putting themselves in position to have about a 5-6 year window to win some Cups. When the contracts they are signing now for Nylander and Matthews and Marner expire, it will put the team in a serious cap space crunch.
I think they're already coming up to a serious cap space crunch. Dubas says he can swing it. We'll see.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:27 PM

The Ducks are making moves ahead of the trade deadline: they've fired coach Randy Carlyle again.
Quote:
The Anaheim Ducks' free fall has cost coach Randy Carlyle his job.

The team announced that general manager Bob Murray will take over for the rest of the season and then the team will begin a search for a new coach.
Quote:
After a promising start this year, Anaheim has plummeted to last in the West.

The Ducks lost 12 straight from Dec. 18 to Jan. 15, then won two in a row, but they have lost their past seven games.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-10-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
The Ducks are making moves ahead of the trade deadline: they've fired coach Randy Carlyle again.
Ah shit. I've always liked Randy.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:13 PM

I caught the St. Louis/Nashvile game today (thanks NBC!). It sure seemed like St. Louis was cruising towards a win, but Nashville must have had a helluva talk before the 3rd period started. For 2 periods, the Blues were clearly the more aggressive and cohesive unit on the ice, but the Preds played hard and the 3rd was some excellent hockey that sent the game into overtime.

All kinds of positioning mistakes left Tarasenko with a lot of room tho and the OT was over quickly (16 seconds).

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-10-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:54 PM

What a kickass night! We kicked Flyer ass, and Kris Letang set a new franchise record for most goals by a Penguins defenseman! Fuck yeah! Butthurt Flyers fans are whining all over Twitter that it's only because the refs helped us. Waaaah.

Quote:
Ah shit. I've always liked Randy.
He'll find work, I'm sure. He was pretty good back when he played for the Pens -- he was our captain in the early 80s.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Malkin is lucky he only got one game for his stick swing.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Malkin is lucky he only got one game for his stick swing.
Raffl is even luckier then, since he didn't get shit for that sucker punch to the back of Malkin's head.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 02-12-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:07 PM

Wow...my BLUES are back in the running! What an amazing turn around, beating league leading TampaBay then sweeping Nashville in the Home/Home series. I hope Binnington is for real.

I was at last nights game against the Devils and they looked HOT...Best addition to St Louis in a LONG time is Ryan O'Rielly! what a stand up two way player. Also #17 Schwartz's drought is over! Yeah! Though his second goal of the game was overruled for goalie interference, a total Bullshit call.

Lets Go BLUES!
Old 02-15-2019, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

So, the Islanders are going to play the first round of the playoffs in their old arena in Nassau but then any subsequent rounds in Brooklyn. An interesting compromise.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

The Washington Capitals stunk it up against the Ducks. I’m sure they were looking right past the hapless Ducks and probably spent Saturday night out at the LA nightclubs.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:26 PM

The Knights were, um, off their form tonight...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Elk
They're not playing bad; they're just losing.
Aye; that was about it.

I saw this blurb tonight too on ESPN.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wyshynski, ESPN
Detroit Red Wings forward Tyler Bertuzzi will face supplemental discipline from the Department of Player Safety for his sucker punch on Matt Calvert of the Colorado Avalanche, a source tells ESPN. On Sunday, Calvert was checked near the Detroit bench by Mike Green. His stick went into the bench, and we held by multiple Wings players, not allowing him to rejoin the play. Calvert jostled them to get his stick back. Bertuzzi, standing on the Detroit bench, dropped his right glove and landed an upper cut to Calvert during the scrum. Bertuzzi later had a fighting major with Ian Cole in the third period.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

1 point out of the 2nd WC, a positive goal differential, and we made Grapes lose his Skittles. Not a bad month for hockey in Carolina so far.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:11 AM

Hard loss in overtime for San Jose tonight. Great game to watch, though.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:18 AM

Cherry should talk about "over doing things". Dude's schtick is dressing like my grandmother's couch.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:54 PM

For anybody who would enjoy seeing Pierre McGuire almost have his face slapped off his head by a puck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwpwkSAvMhU
Old 02-20-2019, 09:57 AM

Holy shit that was awesome!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:02 AM

Oh so close! Better luck next time!
Old 02-20-2019, 06:51 PM

Trade deadline is coming and the Caps put Devante Smith-Pelly on waivers! True, he hasn't had a great season but we know he's capable; who will take him?
Old 02-20-2019, 11:22 PM

Already six coaches fired this season. Quite miraculous none were fired last year (making for an outlier season, in that regard).
Old 02-21-2019, 10:20 AM

I hated losing to the Bruins last night; would have been a really good win for the Knights. Still, we got a point so it wasn't a total wash.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Trade deadline is coming and the Caps put Devante Smith-Pelly on waivers! True, he hasn't had a great season but we know he's capable; who will take him?
Apparently no one. DSP cleared waivers, and is headed to Hershey.

And the complement to that move, the Caps fill DSP's roster spot by trading two draft picks to the Kings for Carl Hagelin. The Kings will keep paying half his salary. I don't know anything about the guy, but what little I've read seems to indicate he's a faster and more athletic player than DSP, and a better scorer. Interestingly he seems to have a similar M.O. to DSP: is mostly just a warm body in the regular season, but goes into the playoffs set on kill.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:32 PM

Ouch; that's gotta hurt!
Old 02-23-2019, 10:11 PM

Why? WHY????

And now our best defenseman, Kris Letang is out, along with another great D, Brian Dumoulin. FUCK.

I'm going to cry. After I vomit.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:55 PM

Leafs fight back from a 3-0 deficit to the Habs. Good game. Very entertaining!
Old 02-24-2019, 10:21 AM

The Islanders remain, miraculously, on top of their division (and ahead of Tavares and the Leafs, somehow). It's a weird season with the Pens not in playoff position and the ragtag group of non-stars that make up the Isles are on top. Trotz has to get coach of the year, right? Their defense is so hot that both of their goalies are tops in the league.

Any day, I'm still expecting them to revert to the mean, but it's probably late enough in the season that they'll still make the playoffs. No one expected this -- the pre-season word was that they are throwing this season to get a top draft pick.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Plus the Islanders have their remaining home games and the first round of the playoffs in Nassau, that’ll help.

This Washington Capitals team is maddeningly inconsistent. Two real stinkers in the past week with an inexcusable loss to the Ducks and a bad loss to the Sabres. Naturally, they give up a goal to the Rangers in the first minute this afternoon!
Old 02-24-2019, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
This Washington Capitals team is maddeningly inconsistent. Two real stinkers in the past week with an inexcusable loss to the Ducks and a bad loss to the Sabres. Naturally, they give up a goal to the Rangers in the first minute this afternoon!
If you want inconsistent, check out the Dallas Stars. One day they're amazing, next day they can't, in the words of the coach, make a 5 foot pass. I bet Monty wishes he'd stayed in the college ranks.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:08 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

The Stars made a nice move in picking up Mats Zuccarello from the Rangers. Things start off great with him too. He has a goal and an assist in his first game, against the Hawks. Of course, near the end of the second period, he blocks a shot and breaks his arm. At first they were saying he'd be out for a month, now I am hearing surgery and out for the rest of the season Without stellar goaltending, I don't know where the Stars would be.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

I hope what you are hearing is wrong, Ike Witt. Zuccarello has always been one of my favorite players and I have no idea why the Rangers let him go so cheap. Or did he want to leave? Anyway it was so cool to see him in a Stars uniform. Now this. If he's out for very long he probably won't be a Star next year. You are for sure right about goaltending keeping us (kind of ) alive.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:23 PM
Soy un pinche idiota
Charter Member

Yeah, that was a great and a terrible game at the same time. I was really happy about getting Zuccarello, and he produced nicely in his short time with us. The current news is that surgery is happening to put a plate in. But it's a clean break, and he's still projected at four weeks.

Still, ugh, was happy to have him here. Maybe L'Esperance* can do more if he's called up again.

*Heh, French for "The Hope".
Old 02-25-2019, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

The Canes did nothing today ,which may turn out to be the best move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Why? WHY????

And now our best defenseman, Kris Letang is out, along with another great D, Brian Dumoulin. FUCK.

I'm going to cry. After I vomit.
Now you know the true joy of having JR as your GM. Sorry.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:38 PM

I'm going to allow this.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:06 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

They didn't sign Stone to a contract extension, they just agreed to it. Technically, he can't sign it until, I think, March 1.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:02 AM

Canucks record a shutout tonight, which turns out be, only 63 games into the season, uh, THEIR FUCKING FIRST.