Old 02-17-2019, 01:03 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Gamers and DLC

This is for video gamers. Iím sure it greatly depends on if you are a completest or not.

If you get a game long enough after it came out that it now has downloadable expansion packs do you play through the main storyline first and then play through the DLC? Do you play it in the order it came out? Or do you instead treat the DLC like side missions, do them first and then finish up the main story?

Thatís where Iím at with Witcher 3. I got the extended version that contained two DLCís. I finished one before ending the main story. Now Iím thinking Iím not going to do the other one and go back to the main story. I think Iíll be too powerful to even make it interesting if I build up the character more in the other DLC.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Depends.

Skyrim and Oblivion - I went and did them during the main game. Games have little direction most of the time, so it felt natural.

Breath of the Wild - waited until I beat Ganon to do it.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

It depends on the sort of DLC. Sometimes they're made to be a part of the existing storyline; sometimes they're made to be separate. If, say, it's new character classes, then I'll play whatever class appeals to me most, regardless of whether it's original or new.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:47 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
It depends on the sort of DLC. Sometimes they're made to be a part of the existing storyline; sometimes they're made to be separate. If, say, it's new character classes, then I'll play whatever class appeals to me most, regardless of whether it's original or new.
In Witcher 3 I would say they are the equivalent of short stories written after the novel. At least the one Iíve done already could be done before or after the main story without any difference. Really the only difference is I am a much higher level than I would have been going into the end of the main story otherwise.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

It depends on the type of DLC for me.

If it's a side-character story, following what someone else did during the main story, or if it appears to be set after the main storyline for other reasons, I finish the main story first. Likewise for DLC that has a completely separate story. DLC that offers a new gameplay mode/challenge level/variant gets left alone until the story is done (or forever, since those don't usually interest me much).

If it's the main character doing stuff that could plausibly be done in the course of the main story--extended side quests, essentially--then I will do the DLCs before finishing the story. I'm a sucker for side quests and powering up/equipping characters. This is especially true if the game has a very open story structure, like Skyrim, or I expect the main story ending to make it weird for the main character to go off on other adventures like the Fallout games.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:55 PM

DLC characters, I will use on my first run thru. (Or, you know, not, if it was part of a larger DLC (as opposed to one I purchased for itself) and it doesn't appeal.)

DLC missions, I'll do them whereever it makes sense to do them (depending on the level they're meant for, whether they rely on anything from the main storyline, whether it makes sense for the character to do them).

Some games, you cannot wait until after finishing the vanilla story to play DLC, because the game ends (Fallout New Vegas, I'm looking at you).
Old 02-17-2019, 03:27 PM

I always treat them as side missions to pad out the game and add content.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:49 PM

and theres some dlc that if you don't finish the game first youll get hosed because they want you to start with game finishing stats because they amped up the numbers and have godly equipment that would break the original game (syndicate 1 American revolt in looking at you )
Old 02-18-2019, 09:21 AM

I'm surprised you were able to do either DLC before finishing the main game - IIRC, they were both assuming you were at a level that you really could only get to at the endgame of the main quest? Which one did you do - Heart of Stone or Blood and Wine?

Regardless, I always do the main game first, then the DLCs.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:32 AM

Blood and Wine should definitely be played after the main quest - dramaticallt, it’s structured like an epilogue.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:41 AM

Mark me down as depends, too.

The only DLC's I've ever owned were for the Mass Effect games and Oblivion. I did one of the Oblivion quests before I finished the game and the DLC helped me A LOT. I can't remember the exact name of the quest, but it ended up with me getting a kickass set of armor that left me basically untouchable for the rest of the main quest. I love being a god.

Mass Effect's generally are just really good sidequests. I'll do them as I see fit. The only caveat being the Citadel DLC for Mass Effect 3 because it's best to have the characters who don't eventually die with you for that one just for funsies. Otherwise I'll do them because I get a better gun.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:41 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I'm surprised you were able to do either DLC before finishing the main game - IIRC, they were both assuming you were at a level that you really could only get to at the endgame of the main quest? Which one did you do - Heart of Stone or Blood and Wine?

Regardless, I always do the main game first, then the DLCs.
I did Heart of Stone. It was tough but not close to impossible. Blood and Wine seems a lot harder so I think Iíll go back and complete the main story first. I did all of the missions and quests that didnít involve Gwent so I am a pretty high level already.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:47 AM

I was given Skyrim as a gift long after it had come out, and all of the DLC additions were included. It all just kind of blended into one game.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:08 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I was given Skyrim as a gift long after it had come out, and all of the DLC additions were included. It all just kind of blended into one game.
In Witcher are one of the DLCís occurs on the same map so it is a bit more blended. It does have a very self contained storyline and itís much more plot and dialogue driven than just regular side quests. The other one is in a completely different area and map.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:34 PM

In that sense then it's similar to one of the Skyrim DLCs, it's a whole different map. The other DLCs added vampires and housebuilding to the game.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:24 PM

So thinking back to Witcher 3, there were actually a bunch of side missions that apparently were DLC, but that was basically invisible to you. If you bought the game with all DLC included, they were just there, and if I didn't look at a wiki later I'd have had no idea they were DLC. Like the mission
SPOILER:
where you have to track down the rogue Witcher from the Cat school who wiped out an entire town.

This was distinct from the Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine expansions, where you either had to start them explicitly from the launch screen, or if you happened to wander to where they started you got a warning that you were starting an expansion (I think).

Last edited by muldoonthief; 02-18-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:32 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

It really depends. Some DLC really makes it a different game. For example, a base release of one of the Civ games versus the packs that add civilizations, techs, units, etc. Or XCOM EU vs EW or XCOM 2 vs XCOM 2 WotC adding entirely new game play and options. In that case, it's a question of which experience you want. Similarly, all the official expansions and DLC in Neverwinter Nights mostly just added class options that didn't otherwise change the base game. Metagaming other modules could do that.

The problem (or advantage) of playing content in the middle is that it can overpower a character for the main line. Yes, simply playing all the side quests, grinding, etc. can do the same, but you often get advantages from the DLC you wouldn't otherwise. For example, in Fallout New Vegas, completing Dead Money can both make your money problems go away and give you a really powerful weapon.

If I consider DLC a side quest I'll run it in the middle. If it's really an expansion or a mini-sequel, I'll run it after. It'll depend a lot on the total design.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:25 PM

It depends on how the DLC integrates with the game as a whole. Many are just epilogues, others are integrated and supplementing the main game. Some ones immediately coming to mind:

Witcher 3: DLC can be played before finishing the main game, but are best (IMO) as epilogues.
Bioshock: Pure stand-alone epilogues.
Skyrim: Integrated into the main game, play at any time and best enjoyed during the main game.
Borderlands: Side quests in the main game, playable any time though a bit level-gate restricted from playing too early.
Horizon Zero Dawn: Best as an epilogue, though can be played earlier.
Civilization 6: Rebuilds the whole game functions, so are really inseparable.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:47 PM

IIRC, I ended up doing the Skyrim vampire DLC mainly because I just got sick and tired of dealing with vampire attacks every time I showed up in Whiterun--annoying integration more than any natural progression to it.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:45 PM

Yup, depends. If we're talking about like, the Xcom and Xcom2 expansion packs, as far as I am concerned, those are in the category of "stuff that should've been the base game in the first place" and should just be played.

If you're talking about stuff that could potentially mess with the flow of the main game, I'm more skeptical.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:40 PM

I generally stay away from DLCs but these days, it's hard.

I so wish people would stop playing "free to play" games, which would probably decrease the DLC mindset, which would bring back the good ol' days with:

You pay for a complete, great game,

Last edited by carnalito; 02-23-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:58 PM

When I bought the sims 4 with the pets expansion I figured out why EA got rid of its console season passes ...… its so they could sell you individual expansion packs for 49- 39.99 for things like parenthood go to work ect and 9-19.99 for "stuff"

ehhh these days theres almost no difference between a dlc and the old expansion packs I mean take the newer ps4 Spiderman DLC for example … its pretty much sold like a expansion would be in the old days only difference is they didn't wait 6 months or more after the base game came out with "20 more missions in that place you couldn't get to before that we unlocked with a trivial excuse to go there " (borderlands1 DLC for a modern example)

Most of the time when I know theres gonna be a ton of dlc or add on missions I just wait for the "ultimate " or complete edition ……..

Last edited by nightshadea; 02-23-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:58 AM

If I buy a "Ultimate" or "Game of the Year" edition of a game, I'll do the DLCs whenever it's level-appropriate.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:46 PM

To me, it depends on the game. Elder Scrolls games usually I play them...whenever. Some games it's good to level a little more before going to endgame. Others, like Borderlands 2, I am glad I finished the main story before doing Tiny Tina's Bunkers and Badasses, because spoilers.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwolf View Post
Others, like Borderlands 2, I am glad I finished the main story before doing Tiny Tina's Bunkers and Badasses, because spoilers.
Actually, that's a good point. I played the Claptrap's New Robot Revolution DLC in Borderlands 1, and it referenced some stuff from the Secret Armory of General Knoxx DLC which I hadn't played yet. That was a bit awkward.