Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Galwegian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 377

Story with the same plot as the movie "Yesterday"


I remember reading a short story quite a few years ago, involving a time traveler who published Beatles songs to make a living. I seem to remember that the actual Beatles featured in it, and were utterly confused about how this guy seemed to be plucking ideas from their brains before they ever recorded the songs.

With the film "Yesterday" about to come out, I was sure that this story would be credited, but it seems it isn't.

Now I can't google the plot without references to either the movie, or the story behind some Beatles song or another.

Anyone else remember this story?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  #2  
Old 06-18-2019, 01:12 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,390
Some stories (or TV series or movies) with a similar plot are mentioned in a previous thread about this movie.
  #3  
Old 06-20-2019, 05:55 PM
iamthewalrus(:3= is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 11,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galwegian View Post
With the film "Yesterday" about to come out, I was sure that this story would be credited, but it seems it isn't.
The writers of the movie probably weren't even aware of it. It is not an original concept.

Getting rich "writing" popular culture as a time traveler is not an original idea, and the Beatles are the most popular band in history, so they're a pretty obvious choice for anyone writing such a story.
  #4  
Old 06-20-2019, 06:36 PM
Andy L is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 6,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galwegian View Post
I remember reading a short story quite a few years ago, involving a time traveler who published Beatles songs to make a living. I seem to remember that the actual Beatles featured in it, and were utterly confused about how this guy seemed to be plucking ideas from their brains before they ever recorded the songs.

With the film "Yesterday" about to come out, I was sure that this story would be credited, but it seems it isn't.

Now I can't google the plot without references to either the movie, or the story behind some Beatles song or another.

Anyone else remember this story?
This story has some similarity to it https://www.baen.com/Chapters/978161...750130___2.htm

Not the one you're thinking of, but there's a Harry Turtledove story about a woman who goes back in time and publishes science fiction stories (and some true life stories, like "Watergate" and "Three Mile Island") before they happen, causing some surprise when she publishes a story that an author already has written.
  #5  
Old 06-22-2019, 01:29 AM
Horatio Hellpop is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Jeju-si, S. Korea
Posts: 9,568
I was thinking Peggy Sue Got Married.

I think the Beatles were a hit in America because of their accents and charismatic TV appearances. I really can't see those songs being popular otherwise.
  #6  
Old 06-22-2019, 05:23 AM
Galwegian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 377
Thank you all. It was definitely a short story or a novella, possibly published in Interzone. I never saw Peggy Sue Got Married, so wasn't that. I guess I didn't realise that the idea had been mined so many times, and thought there would be an obvious answer.

Sent from my B3-A40FHD using Tapatalk
  #7  
Old 06-22-2019, 12:29 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Not the one you're thinking of, but there's a Harry Turtledove story about a woman who goes back in time and publishes science fiction stories (and some true life stories, like "Watergate" and "Three Mile Island") before they happen, causing some surprise when she publishes a story that an author already has written.
Figures you'd be familiar with that one.
I enjoyed that story thoroughly.

ETA: Was that in Analog, or IASFM?

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 06-22-2019 at 12:30 PM.
  #8  
Old 06-22-2019, 01:09 PM
Prof. Pepperwinkle's Avatar
Prof. Pepperwinkle is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chateau Pepperwinkle
Posts: 56,562
On the TV series Otherworld, in which a family finds itself in an alternate universe, we have episode 4 "Rock and Roll Suicide". I quote the Wiki:

Quote:
In the Centrex province, Trace and Gina introduce rock 'n' roll music, and record songs written by the Beatles and other classic artists. The music has an emotional impact that takes the province by storm; the Church of Artificial Intelligence angrily protests the idol worship of Trace and Gina, whom the church views as subversives undermining their control. Cmdr. Kroll is sent to deal with the problem, and he likes the music! – then he recognizes the two singers.
  #9  
Old 06-22-2019, 01:37 PM
Andy L is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 6,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Figures you'd be familiar with that one.
I enjoyed that story thoroughly.

ETA: Was that in Analog, or IASFM?
Analog - it's a story called "Hindsight" from Analog December 1984 http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?56981
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017