Old 06-22-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
For some reason, a link with parentheses confuses the board's parser. I fixed it for you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirts_(novel)
Thank you. Weird.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:03 PM

The Enterprise becomes female-sentient and realizes Kirk has professed his "love" for her many times. Then she realizes Kirk is a major horn-dog and becomes jealous and proceeds to ruin his life and career, keeping the entire rest of the crew in the dark. Kirk tumbles to the ruse and begs for help, but just looks totes insane, which hastens his ruin. I don't care how it ends.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
The Enterprise becomes female-sentient and realizes Kirk has professed his "love" for her many times. Then she realizes Kirk is a major horn-dog and becomes jealous and proceeds to ruin his life and career, keeping the entire rest of the crew in the dark. Kirk tumbles to the ruse and begs for help, but just looks totes insane, which hastens his ruin. I don't care how it ends.
Didn't this happen in Futurama with Bender and the Planet Express ship?
Old 06-22-2019, 09:12 PM

There are so many episodes where something happened at the ending and you are left to wonder how it turned out but never know.

I'd LOVE a series in the Trek universe where they open with a synopsis of the past episode and then have a whole episode where we find out what happened next or how things turned out.

There'd be no set cast since each episode would be standalone as different ships and crews revealed what was happening in various places in the galaxy.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 06-22-2019, 09:21 PM

^^ Time for me to re-visit New New York; I don't remember much of Futurama.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 06-22-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:03 PM

One where Kirk tells the fans "get a life!"
Old 06-23-2019, 05:36 PM

A Next Generation episode where the Enterprise is chosen to evaluate new uniforms for all of Star Fleet.

There would be countless costume changes, some homage to various sci-fi films and shows, some just to show off fantastic hats and shoes. Riker doesn't want to give up a man purse and Picard starts going overboard with optional military bling. The Hello Dolly! style gets a strong mixed reaction.

They become fed-up with all the distraction when Data offers a logical solution.

In the final scene the team of designers are shocked to enter the bridge to find everyone naked, as per the sci-fi convention that in a perfectly climate controlled environment where no one does work that causes chafing or even has to carry a pot of hot soup, clothes are unnecessary (although it's really to keep juvenile pervs interested.)

Just as Picard finishes giving a speech about how they have advance adult attitudes about the human body and refuse to be constrained by conformist uniforms, the turbo lift opens and a naked Worf steps out. Everyone takes a quick look and agree there is no way in hell they are going all day looking at that. So, they decide to go with the one that looks like the old uniform except with a decent collar and Geordi is glad that in this one instance being blind has worked in his favour.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueInfinity View Post
A First Contact episode where the natives don't want to join the Federation, and actually have a good reason. I'm not sure what that reason would be, but I'm sure there is one. I seem to recall a novel where the locals actually chose to become part of the Klingon Empire, but I forget the details.
The TNG episode "First Contact".

After much running around and shouting (and Riker getting sexually molested), the planet decided that they weren't politically ready for contact with the Federation, but please come back in a generation or two.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSpon View Post
The TNG episode "First Contact".

After much running around and shouting (and Riker getting sexually molested), the planet decided that they weren't politically ready for contact with the Federation, but please come back in a generation or two.
Alien Lilith would like to point out that she did actually have full consent.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:55 AM

The episode "First Contact" was about postponing First Contact, i.e. the planet wasn't ready to join the galactic community. I'm talking about a planet that's ready to go out there into space, but wants to consider all the options. Maybe they have a reason to join the Ferengi or Tholians or Klingons.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic_man View Post
A red shirt make s through a adventure.
Scotty was a red shirt. Not all red shirts died and red shirts weren't the only away party members that were killed. If more of them seem to have died in action, well I guess that goes with the duty, security, that went with the shirt.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromNapa View Post
Scotty was a red shirt. Not all red shirts died and red shirts weren't the only away party members that were killed. If more of them seem to have died in action, well I guess that goes with the duty, security, that went with the shirt.
Lt Leslie was on a lot of missions, and was a bridge crew member as well, but only died once. (He got better, though.)
Old 06-24-2019, 03:52 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Emphasis mine. You'd like the Star Trek: Destiny trilogy of novels; we do find out about the origins of the Borg. And the Borg comes to destroy everybody.
Thank you, I will look into them.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromNapa View Post
One of the duties. Red was Operations, which covered security, engineering, communications, etc.

Security and Engineering tend to have high body count, for obvious reasons.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:16 PM

^ Yeah, thanks a lot, Dr. Daystrom!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
TOS-era had proposed an episode (written by DC Fontana, IIRC) where the Enterprise come across a reverse-earth planet, where the white folk are enslaved and the black people are in charge. It was supposed to feature McCoy and Uhura for maximum effect. I don't think they could make it work*, and it really might have been too much in the 60s. You could probably make it now, though, but it might be too simplistic.

*Might have been the genesis for Let That Be Your Last battlefield
Actually that could have been used in the TOS episode "The Cloud Minders". The planet could orbit a hot blue star that puts out tons of ultraviolet light and the upper class are all dark-skinned who can tolerate the UV. The light-skinned lower class mostly stay underground working as miners because the UV is too much for them. The darks derogatively refer to the lights as "grubbers", which as Spock explains refers both to their occupation as miners and an allusion to their pale skin. The dark rulers treat the visiting officers from the Enterprise rather paternalisticly, astonished that lights can actually be starship officers instead of drunken brawlers, commending them as "a credit to their race".

Also, at the start of the episode I envision the following scene: the party is preparing to beam down and Dr. McCoy is making sure everyone is heavily slathered with sunscreen, leading to the following exchange:
KIRK: "Bones, you're fussing like a mother taking her kids on a day at the beach".
MCCOY: "Day at the beach my keester! If I have to regenerate your hide because you let yourself get third-degree sunburn, I swear you'll do it without anesthetic!"
Old 06-24-2019, 09:51 PM

^ McCoy: I'm a doctor, not a Baywatch lifeguard.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

This wouldn't be an episode but a novel, preferably by Diane Duane: In the opening, a conversation with Kirk and McCoy leads Spock to reveal that when his mother Amanda was pregnant with him, she was targeted by assassins that saw her as a threat to Vulcan racial purity. Most of the novel would be a flashback to this.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Star Trek eps you'd like to see that havent been done before

"The One Where They Name The Episode Like It's Friends"
Old 06-25-2019, 12:22 PM

This was an idea for a ST:TNG episode that I and my friend Scott thought up: Ryker, Worf, Data and Wesley are supposed to beam aboard, but a transporter malfunction occurs and they get replaced by their Mirror Universe counterparts. They manage to keep their cool when they see that everything is the same but different. They meet together privately and ascertain that they are in The Mirror Universe (to them), and decide they can take advantage of it.

MU Riker is a conniving schemer who achieved higher rank by killing off his rivals, so in this universe, he plans to kill Picard and replace him as Enterprise Captain. MU Worf is more savage and doesn't believe in honor. MU Wesley is an absolute snot who got his position from family influence, and loves to make rude and smartassed comments. MU Data is simply regarded as a machine that takes orders, and the others have no concept of him as a sentient person. He eventually turns on his comrades after seeing how humans in this universe treat him with dignity and respect.

This is more or less what the fans at the time bitched about the most - Riker's stupidity for passing up commands of other starships to be 2nd banana on the Enterprise, Worf always getting beat up, everybody hating boy genius Wesley, and please stop the "Is Data human" crap! This would have been an opportunity to make these characters so much more hateful, and to provide unpleasant alternatives to what fans already groused about.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I View Post
"The One Where They Name The Episode Like It's Friends"
I want them named like Wild Wild West, or Buck Rogers.

The Night of* the Treacherous Tribble
The Night of the Infernal Computer
The Night of Methusela's Requiem
The Night of the Mad Captain
The Night of the Murderous Thespian
The Night of the Body Switchers
The Night of the Sikh
The Night of the Surreal Kirk

*or Flight of, like Buck

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 06-26-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:59 AM

Too late to edit.

What we need is a new Star Trek. Steampunk Star Trek. Jules Verne-era space travel. Starfleet headquarters is in 1890s San Francisco. The Enterprise is all riveted metal, and the engine room is steam pipes and valves.

Take the best of Wild Wild West, Q.E.D., Brisco County, The Bearcats, The Barbary Coast, 20K Leagues UtS, and The Time Machine, stir them together, skim off the crap, and voila, instant hit.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 06-26-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Too late to edit.

What we need is a new Star Trek. Steampunk Star Trek. Jules Verne-era space travel. Starfleet headquarters is in 1890s San Francisco. The Enterprise is all riveted metal, and the engine room is steam pipes and valves.

Take the best of Wild Wild West, Q.E.D., Brisco County, The Bearcats, The Barbary Coast, 20K Leagues UtS, and The Time Machine, stir them together, skim off the crap, and voila, instant hit.
Would Moriarty have a on-going role?