Old 02-18-2019, 09:45 AM

Yesterday (2019 film)

From the makers of Slumdog Millionaire.

A struggling musician gets hit by a car and wakes up in a world where no-one ever heard of the Beatles or their music...and HE becomes a Rock God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uqvgPm8U4c
Old 02-18-2019, 10:27 AM

Already been done.

Otherworld

"In the Centrex province, Trace and Gina introduce rock 'n' roll music, and record songs written by the Beatles and other classic artists."

Everything old is new again. Especially if people forget the first time.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 02-18-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:32 AM

Heh. My 8-year-old son recently saw all three “Back to the Future” films, and he has several years of Beatles listening (forced and unforced) under his belt, so he might find this amusing. (Plus, he’s genetically part South Asian).
Old 02-18-2019, 11:11 AM

Another time it has been done.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:19 PM

I wondered why the concept was familiar...an old furry story of a human transported to a world of werewolves passing off Def Leppard material as his own.

http://www.foxcar.info/stories/flipside/flip06.htm
Old 02-18-2019, 05:10 PM

The same plot point was featured in the 1993-99 BBC comedy Goodnight Sweetheart.

Quote:
... Gary strikes up a friendship with Phoebe, and makes repeated trips through the time portal, gradually establishing a second life for himself in the 1940s. In this life, he claims to be both a secret agent (aided by his knowledge of future wartime events) and a singer-songwriter, by passing off modern-day pop songs as his own, particularly songs by The Beatles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodni...art_(TV_series)

Last edited by Sherrerd; 02-18-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Already been done.

Otherworld

"In the Centrex province, Trace and Gina introduce rock 'n' roll music, and record songs written by the Beatles and other classic artists."

Everything old is new again. Especially if people forget the first time.
I'm not sure if "forget" is the right word to one episode of a very shortlived 80's tv show.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I'm not sure if "forget" is the right word to one episode of a very shortlived 80's tv show.
I remembered...

Old 02-18-2019, 05:46 PM

I recently rewatched Otherworld. It is really, really, really, really bad.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

I wonder about the concept. If no one in the world has heard of the Beatles, would the songs be as successful coming from someone else? Certainly part of their appeal was them (their personalities, appearance, charm, etc.).

Don't get me wrong; I've enjoyed most of Danny Boyle's movies and will definitely see this one. But I do wonder.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I wonder about the concept. If no one in the world has heard of the Beatles, would the songs be as successful coming from someone else? Certainly part of their appeal was them (their personalities, appearance, charm, etc.).

Don't get me wrong; I've enjoyed most of Danny Boyle's movies and will definitely see this one. But I do wonder.
I hope he tries to pull off Revolution #9 and they hate it.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:29 PM

I remember that this concept was also used when some guy was transported back in time to like the 1500s or something. (Obviously, there are a few Beatles songs that you couldn't use in that time period.)

But this looks good, and I wanna see it. I could take Mom out to see it! It comes out the day before her birthday!
Old 02-18-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Well, I thought it didn't work in Otherworld, either. They went from the beginnings of rock to Beatles to heavy metal to David Bowie in the course of the episode. I don't think it would work. There's no context. You can't appreciate more modern rock unless you know what it is reacting against. And you can't just give your audience one side - the Beatles worked somewhat because they were better than their contemporaries doing the same thing.

And in a similar thing, give Sgt Pepper to someone in Beethoven's time and it'll just be noise. No context. Too drastically a different style than they are used to,
Old 02-18-2019, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Sgt Pepper wouldn't even work in the early 1960s, when the Beatles were just getting started.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:43 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

There's a plot point in Tim Powers' The Anubis Gates where a time traveler goes back to London in 1810 and hears someone whistling a certain song:

Quote:
"He was passing a narrow street of Aldgate and somebody crossing one of the rooftop bridges was whistling. Doyle slowed to listen. It was a familiar tune, and so melancholy and nostalgic that it almost seemed chosen as a fitting accomplishment for his lonely evening walk.What the hell is the name of that, he wondered absently as he walked on. Not Greensleeves, not Londonderry Air…

He froze and his eyes widened in shock. It was Yesterday...

For a moment he just stood there stunned, like Robinson Crusoe staring at the footprint in the sand.

Then he was running back. “Hey!” he yelled when he was below the little bridge, though there was nobody on it now.”Hey, come back! I’m from the Twentieth Century too!”

Last edited by blondebear; 02-18-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:55 PM

(Accidental double-post.)

Last edited by ekedolphin; 02-18-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:33 PM

The trailer is really very charming. I’m looking forward to it.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:03 AM

Quote:

Oh I think their music transcends the band - just look at all the millions of cover songs and the lasting appeal.

And Danny Boyle is a genius, so I'm looking forward to this.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:35 PM

Reaction Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdg4xMfU2rE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K56YHpmIINQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES6sAX9j1qE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FGNSI0o6AY

"I've got two men...who claim that the song are THEIRS!"

Old 02-19-2019, 03:56 PM

Coincidentally (or not coincidentally?) the first song played by the time-travelers in the manga I mentioned was also Yesterday.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:04 PM

And here's a guy who thinks that he is the only person to have ever thought of this.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:28 PM

One more note--the Otherworld episode is on YouTube. (They started with I Want to Hold Your Hand, not Yesterday.)
Old 04-18-2019, 01:47 PM
SDSAB

I love the concept, I'm a huge Beatles fan, and the trailer makes it look like a lot of fun, so I'll definitely be seeing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Heh. My 8-year-old son recently saw all three “Back to the Future” films....
In the first of which, Marty McFly plays some Chuck Berry music from the (near) future at the prom.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:12 PM

In the Stephen King novel, 11/22/63, the time traveler Jake Epping was constantly singing or whistling songs from later than November, 1963, to the bafflement of his girlfriend, although he didn't try to pass therm of as his own.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I suspect this movie is going to be a bitter disappointment, because all of the signs say it should be great; Beatles songs, written by Richard Curtis (of Love, Actually and Notting Hill fame) and directed by Danny Boyle (of Millions, 24 Days Later and Slumdog Millionaire fame). So all indications are that I should love it. I'm just afraid that despite that, I'm not going to like it.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Thread title edited for clarity.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:52 PM
SDSAB

Thanks, Chronos.

Just hope what happens in the movie doesn't turn out to "just be a dream."
Old 04-19-2019, 12:41 PM

In Peggy Sue got Married , Peggy Sue gets transported back to her past and tries to teach her do-wopping boyfrined to sing 'She Love You'.

I am remembering that right, right?

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 04-19-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Don't forget Marty McFly playingJohnny B. Goode at a high school dance and Marvin Berry excitedly calls his cousin Chuck to have a listen.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:42 PM
Sith Mod

Also a plot arc in John Allison's webcomic Scary-Go-Round, where a couple characters from the modern world end up in Elizabethan England, and one makes a name for herself singing as much as she can remember of old Beatles songs.

Last edited by Miller; 04-19-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:39 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Don't forget Marty McFly playingJohnny B. Goode at a high school dance and Marvin Berry excitedly calls his cousin Chuck to have a listen.
I didn't forget. See post 23.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
In Peggy Sue got Married , Peggy Sue gets transported back to her past and tries to teach her do-wopping boyfrined to sing 'She Love You'.

I am remembering that right, right?
"I changed all the yeah-yeah-yeahs to Ohh-ohh-ohhs..."
Old 04-21-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Well, I thought it didn't work in Otherworld, either. They went from the beginnings of rock to Beatles to heavy metal to David Bowie in the course of the episode. I don't think it would work. There's no context. You can't appreciate more modern rock unless you know what it is reacting against. And you can't just give your audience one side - the Beatles worked somewhat because they were better than their contemporaries doing the same thing.

And in a similar thing, give Sgt Pepper to someone in Beethoven's time and it'll just be noise. No context. Too drastically a different style than they are used to,
I am curious to how the movie addresses how the music landscape is when the Beatles didn't exist. Considering their influence and innovation I would think it would be pretty different, but it might be hard to go into all that but still show a recognizable world. Coldplay is referenced and Ed Sheeran is in the trailer so I'm wondering if all other music is the same or if some other band filled the space that the Beatles had.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:15 AM

I'm kind of intrigued. On the one hand, I'm generally a fan of stories involving parallel universes and alternate timelines and such. But I'm not a huge fan of the Beatles. I may just let the reviews guide me on this one.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:15 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
I am curious to how the movie addresses how the music landscape is when the Beatles didn't exist. Considering their influence and innovation I would think it would be pretty different, but it might be hard to go into all that but still show a recognizable world.
I would think the smart approach would be not to address it at all; the musical world would be totally different without the Beatles. Even if the general development of music was the same, the personalities would be different. If you have no Beatles, you might not have David Bowie becoming famous, as all British music, and Bowie, were influenced by the Beatles. If you don't have David Bowie you may lose twenty, fifty more artists; a quick Google search of people influenced and inspired by Bowie includes basically everyone in the last 45 years. Who knows? Fighting that would require the movie confuse the audience for no good reason; it's easier to just anchor the audience in a world where Coldplay, Ed Sheeran and James Corden and other famous people are who you understand them to be.

If you wanted a hard science fiction movie that's a different matter, but "Yesterday" is clearly not that.

Last edited by RickJay; 04-23-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:30 PM

Sort of like The Invention of Lying, where the world is far, far, far too similar to our own.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
I am curious to how the movie addresses how the music landscape is when the Beatles didn't exist. Considering their influence and innovation I would think it would be pretty different, but it might be hard to go into all that but still show a recognizable world. Coldplay is referenced and Ed Sheeran is in the trailer so I'm wondering if all other music is the same or if some other band filled the space that the Beatles had.
Maybe it was a world where the Rolling Stones competed with... The Kinks?

Eh. Not the same, but not too bad either.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:06 PM

I'm assuming the end will be "It was all a dream." Let's face it, in a world where all of the current music is the same it's just that no one heard of the Beatles, no one is going to get famous singing "I want to hold your hand."
Old 04-23-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Well, the scenario presented in the trailer is the main character tumbles over the handlebars of his bicycle and wakes up in the hospital to the news that while he was unconscious, there was a blackout, simultaneously all over the world. Oh, and all of a sudden no one ever heard of the Beatles. "It was all just a dream" does sound like the most likely explanation but I really hope that Richard Curtis came up with something more clever. As I said, I'm looking forward to it but we'll see.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:34 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. I love the Beatles.

It is a clever idea that one guy would know previously famous songs that the rest of the world has never heard.

I'm not convinced one guy singing Beatles songs would ever become as famous.

He'd certainly have some success, but part of the Beatles phenomenon were the four lads from Liverpool. Their unique way of performing and the time period that it occurred helped establish The Beatles. McCartney and Lennon had something special that an imposter would never be able to recreate.

Could be interesting to have some songs become hits and others flop. The world in 2019 might not like I Am The Walrus.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-23-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:50 PM

I'm curious to see what happens when the two men show up saying they wrote the songs.

It would be so awesome if Paul did a cameo appearance in the movie.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Sort of like The Invention of Lying, where the world is far, far, far too similar to our own.
I'd say it's because the focus of the movie is not on an alternate history. These movies aren't supposed to be like The Man in the High Castle.

The Invention of Lying isn't about how a world where people don't lie would develop. It's about the character arc of an individual who finds himself surrounded by magically credulous people.

Similarly, Yesterday isn't about what music or culture would look like without one of the most influential bands in the world existing. It's about how an individual deals with the massive unearned fame and success that comes from having magical access to that band's songs.

I'm looking forward to it.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:26 PM

What came to mind for me on seeing the trailer is wondering what the theme song for Live and Let Die would end up being, since I assume Ian Fleming and his novels and the subsequent film adaptations would still exist.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
What came to mind for me on seeing the trailer is wondering what the theme song for Live and Let Die would end up being, since I assume Ian Fleming and his novels and the subsequent film adaptations would still exist.
Did they say in the trailer that Wings didn't exist either?
Old 06-18-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
Did they say in the trailer that Wings didn't exist either?
No, I just assumed that Paul McCartney either doesn't exist in this alternate reality or is a complete unknown unlikely to have been hired to compose a song for a successful movie franchise.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:05 PM

No need to assume that. Lots of very talented people never get discovered, that could have happened to the Beatles. Or maybe John dies in a car accident and Paul bounces around writing for other people or gets a solo career. I definitely could see McCartney making a cameo as some bitter old behind the scene jingle writer.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:39 PM
SDSAB

Yesterday was Sir Paul's 77th birthday, as it happens.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:01 AM

I remember a series 2 twilight zone ep where this guy from the future went back in time before Elvis was famous and hitched a ride with him and Elvis died and he ended up taking his place.. even to the point where he met his girlfriend as elvis .....
Old 06-19-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
I remember a series 2 twilight zone ep where this guy from the future went back in time before Elvis was famous and hitched a ride with him and Elvis died and he ended up taking his place.. even to the point where he met his girlfriend as elvis .....
That was The Once and Future King, screenplay by George R. R. Martin.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:52 AM

It would be so funny seeing a unknown artist bring a song like She Loves You and have it rejected by the music publishers.

They'd have a dozen suggestions to "fix" the song.

Completely clueless that She Loves You would launch a bands career to super stardom.