Old 03-31-2019, 11:14 PM

David Gilmour's guitar collection going to auction.

Including the black strat, all for charity. I was about 10 when The Wall came out, but got into them big in middle and high school. Still love them to this day.

The collection is going to be in NYC at Christies in June. The website has a short interview with him where he explains why he is auctioning off these guitars.

I may take a trip down to the city to see the collection, mainly to see the black strat used in the '72 Live at Pompeii movie.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:04 AM

I went to the Pink Floyd V&A exhibition a couple of years ago, it was excellent and the black strat was there for all to see. What a scabby piece of crap! but who cares?

It has an estimate of $100k-$!50k but you'd have to imagine that it'll smash that amount.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by split p&j View Post
Including the black strat, all for charity. I was about 10 when The Wall came out, but got into them big in middle and high school. Still love them to this day.

The collection is going to be in NYC at Christies in June. The website has a short interview with him where he explains why he is auctioning off these guitars.

I may take a trip down to the city to see the collection, mainly to see the black strat used in the '72 Live at Pompeii movie.
That link wasn’t working very well for me (content missing). I like that they’ve used a snippet from one of his lesser known solo songs though.

I too became a huge Pink Floyd fan when I was in my early teens and consumed everything I could get my hands on, from half finished Syd Barret solo stuff to concert bootlegs. I remember having a birthday party (16?) with friends that involved smoking weed, eating cheese toasties, and watching a video of Pompei, good times.

Like I say, there was a lot of content missing from the link so I couldn’t see the bit where he talks about why he’s selling up. Is he still playing?
Old 04-04-2019, 03:17 PM

Lots of nice guitars, there. I wonder why he has one lefty?

Wish I could play...
Old 04-04-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
In case a lefty friend comes over and wants to jam. It's not like Gilmour couldn't afford to keep a lefty guitar on hand just in case, and it probably cost him nothing anyway, since it's one of his sig models.

I have a lefty friend who is not at all wealthy, but who keeps a righty strung guitar around for that very reason.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pearse View Post
Like I say, there was a lot of content missing from the link so I couldn’t see the bit where he talks about why he’s selling up. Is he still playing?
He is, but it makes me wonder if he's got a health issue on the horizon.

On the other hand, Clapton sold off all his well-known gear and yet still plays and records.

Gilmour says he just wants to raise some money for charity and pass the guitars along to new players. Though most will just go into collections and are unlikely to get any real player use in future.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:04 AM

That makes me sad. Guitars are meant to be loved and, especially, played. I feel the same about all those beautiful cars that sit in collections gathering dust instead of being driven and appreciated.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
In case a lefty friend comes over and wants to jam. It's not like Gilmour couldn't afford to keep a lefty guitar on hand just in case, and it probably cost him nothing anyway, since it's one of his sig models.

I have a lefty friend who is not at all wealthy, but who keeps a righty strung guitar around for that very reason.
Yeah but why would anyone buy or want to ogle his spare guest guitar? And why sell it? All his lefty friends stopped coming around?
Old 04-05-2019, 10:34 AM

All I can say is:

CAREFUL

WITH

THAT

AXE

EUGENE!

Old 04-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Yeah but why would anyone buy or want to ogle his spare guest guitar? And why sell it? All his lefty friends stopped coming around?
Any celebrity-guitarist-owned guitar will sell. And they'll all sell for more than they would with no celebrity-provenance.

Why sell it? He's selling pretty much everything. Maybe he's feeling his age and he wants to sort out his affairs while his brain is still sharp. He's got 8 kids, maybe he doesn't want them bitching about who inherits which iconic guitar.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:15 AM

I have a hard time believing that there won't be a single guitar left in his house after the auction but whatever. Maybe McCartney played when he was over visiting.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post

Wish I could play...
I was wondering the same thing. Also, an electric sitar?
Old 04-05-2019, 01:05 PM

Some of these guitars may not have been played in a long time. I wouldn't consider buying one unless it came with a letter from a guitar tech or luthier.

Wasting $350 on Ebay for a Tele with a warped neck is bad enough. 20k? Oh, hell no ...

NOPE. I want a inspection first.

I don't buy wall hangers. I play my guitars.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-05-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I have a hard time believing that there won't be a single guitar left in his house after the auction but whatever. Maybe McCartney played when he was over visiting.
Who said he's selling all of his guitars? I said "pretty much everything" - but I have no doubt he'll be keeping a few.

As I mentioned, Clapton sold off all of his famous/collectable gear, but he's still playing; put out an album 6 months ago, has gigs lined up in the next few months. I expect Gilmour will do something similar.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Who said he's selling all of his guitars? I said "pretty much everything" - but I have no doubt he'll be keeping a few.
Well, wtf then? I said I found it weird that he'd sell his guest lefty guitar, you said he's selling pretty much everything and now you're saying of course he's keeping a few. OK, maybe he's got 10 lefty guest guitars, it's just still kind of weird to put a guitar he never used into a prestigious Christie's auction.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:17 PM

I suspect he was given a few of his signature model by Fender and one happened to be a lefty. I note that one of the signature models is a prototype. Maybe given to Gilmour for testing/approval?
Old 04-05-2019, 10:37 PM

I didn't mean to mislead with the title, he's not auctioning off all of his guitars. I think three big ones are on the block. The black strat, used for all the albums in the '70's, the red one used for the 80's and up songs and the acoustic used on Comfortably Numb. He sees them as tools, and as a bassist myself, I can understand that. I'm not professional, but I get. I think what he is doing is cool, even though the guitars almost certainly won't end up in the hand of inspiring artists. At least it will still help his charities.

For me, personally, yes I want to ogle. Pink Floyd was one of the bands that made me make my parents change my violin lessons to bass lessons. I don't make a living off of playing bass, but it has given me over 30 years of joy. A chance to see some of the tools of a band that inspired me before they disappear forever? I can't miss that.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Well, wtf then? I said I found it weird that he'd sell his guest lefty guitar, you said he's selling pretty much everything and now you're saying of course he's keeping a few. OK, maybe he's got 10 lefty guest guitars, it's just still kind of weird to put a guitar he never used into a prestigious Christie's auction.
He's selling off his famous/valuable/collectable instruments.

He's also clearing out the storage space of everything that doesn't get used much.

What that leaves is a few that he's keeping for personal use.

He wanted to keep a lefty around in case it came in handy, now he's changed his mind and wants to clear out everything but a handful. Because he changed his mind.

OK, I'm done spelling out things that should be obvious.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I wouldn't consider buying one unless it came with a letter from a guitar tech or luthier.
With Christy's, you'll get all the documentation you want.

Quote:
He wanted to keep a lefty around in case it came in handy, now he's changed his mind and wants to clear out everything but a handful. Because he changed his mind.

Wished I hadn't posed that query about the lefty.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Oy vey. It's not obvious, you're just guessing. You have no idea how he chose which guitars to put up, no idea what the lefty was used for nor what his damn storage situation is. I was just idly curious what the back story was and I really don't need any more of your "spelling out of obvious things", so thanks for being done.

Last edited by CarnalK; 04-06-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by split p&j View Post
For me, personally, yes I want to ogle. Pink Floyd was one of the bands that made me make my parents change my violin lessons to bass lessons. I don't make a living off of playing bass, but it has given me over 30 years of joy. A chance to see some of the tools of a band that inspired me before they disappear forever? I can't miss that.
Thanks for posting about it. I doubt I would have found out about it if you hadn't. I don't live anywhere near New York, but I think Christie's has done a great job of virtually presenting the collection online for those of us who are fans but aren't able to see it in person. Reading the backstory on some of these items has been fascinating!
Old 04-07-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Why in the world is this topic getting contentious? Of course we're just guessing, here: None of us is David Gilmour (at least, I don't think so), so all anyone can do is guess about his motives. If anyone has a problem with that... why are you in this thread?
Old 06-20-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

In case anyone is interested, this auction is happening now - been going for about an hour. They started late because there's an overflow crowd. Prices so far are nuts!

https://www.christies.com/calendar
Old 06-20-2019, 05:10 PM

It's over. The Black Strat went for $3.9 million. Shit, the Black Strat's case went for $200,000. I watched most of it and couldn't believe the prices these instruments fetched. The auction house's estimates were often off by a factor of 20 or 30.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:11 PM

The auction raised over $21 million, with the Black Strat going for just under $4 million. Wow.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
The auction house's estimates were often off by a factor of 20 or 30.
I guess the market of billionaire Floyd-fan guitar players is poorly understood
Old 06-20-2019, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Christie's tends to undervalue their estimates, so I wasn't surprised the actual prices paid were higher, but they were so much higher for everything it was pretty amazing - the most paid for any guitars at auction ever.

Unfortunately the total proceeds reported also include the taxes and (hefty) fees that will go to Christie's, so it's hard to know how much his designated charity ClientEarth will get, but it's still going to be a boatload of cash.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:30 PM

Hmm, I just realized I have a chance to own a celebrity guitar.

In three easy steps: Pull my guitar out of the closet, play it better, become famous.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
The auction raised over $21 million, with the Black Strat going for just under $4 million. Wow.
Yeah, I can't say I'm surprised, when I saw the original estimate it was clearly ridiculously low. When one of the world's most famous guitarists in the world'd most famous band sells one of the world's most most famous guitars used to record some of the world's most famous songs.............big money is going to happen. Heck, the instrument is even known by a specific name, we are in 722 Mercedes territory here.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:52 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Hmm, I just realized I have a chance to own a celebrity guitar.

In three easy steps: Pull my guitar out of the closet, play it better, become famous.
Reminds me of all those "how to draw superheroes" books I read as a kid:
  1. Draw a circle for the head and cylinders for the body and limbs.
  2. Divide the circle in half horizontally and vertically to locate the facial features.
  3. Finish drawing a superhero.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:23 AM

I guess a string would go for $20k or $10k for a pick
Old 06-21-2019, 03:59 PM

Sooo, how much did the lefty go for?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:02 PM

Jim Irsay (owner of the Colts) bought the Black Strad and the case. He has quite the collection... mostly guitars but he also has the bass drum head from when the Beatles performed the first time on Ed Sullivan. He actually spent $5.245 million which was 24% of all sales.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalk View Post
sooo, how much did the lefty go for?
$52,500.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
I knew the Black Strat would go for big money.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:04 PM

I’m curious how many buyers were rich fans vs investors.