Old 06-05-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Car crash is the most common term in my dialect. "Hey did you see that crash on the news?"
You didn't say he was in a car crash, though, you said he crashed his car. That definitely makes him the active one.

Plus all the other things you said that assigned blame, as quoted by by Joey P.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Car crash is the most common term in my dialect. "Hey did you see that crash on the news?"

There's no blame being assigned.

I don't understand why that wasn't a double lane turn. It looked like there were two lanes on that other road. But the people that drive that area can see the traffic signs and know the rules.
There's an enormous difference between "he was in a car crash", and "he crashed his car".

Because the right lane isn't a right turn only lane. The people in the right lane can go straight, so the people in the left lane had better go straight.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
I think it likely was still mostly her fault for not being aware of where other cars are, but looking at street view I think she was in the right lane. The problem is that there is also a shoulder area that is not marked as either a parking lane or a turn lane.

I suspect that she kept going in the right lane and attempted to turn from there. He meanwhile has passed some parked cars and moved right into the 'lane' after the parked cars have ended in order to turn right. They then both proceed to try to turn into the same lane of the one-way st.

I guess it might make a difference whether she had her turn signal on or not.
Either/both of them might end up suing the city over this. Hope they live long enough to collect if successful.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Yes you did. Repeatedly. Next time you see some gossip news, stop and think about it instead of mindless spouting off about it.
If you look at post #3, I was careful to say the crashed cars' tires weren't visible in the photos. I thought there was a lane violation by someone.

Turns out, that wasn't a two lane access point.

Last edited by aceplace57; 06-05-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Because the right lane isn't a right turn only lane.
That was the only thing I was uncertain about. If the right lane can legally go straight, and the left lane cannot turn right, that seems to eliminate the possibility even of 50/50 liability.

ETA: oh, I just saw Folly's post. Forget that, seems like it's more complicated.

Last edited by Riemann; 06-05-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Either/both of them might end up suing the city over this. Hope they live long enough to collect if successful.
Ha ha. Good one.

It's such a common type of intersection here in Chicago. Often complicated by after-thought bike lane markings. You have to be aware of what other cars are doing and generally move as far right as you safely can if you are trying to turn right.

Last edited by Folly; 06-05-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

I'll admit it: My first thought at hearing the news was HA-ha.

But Morgan was not at fault, and considering what happened with his first accident, I image the psychological trauma will be extreme.

ETA: A more accurate (and less judgmental) title would be "Morgan's car crashed in accident.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 06-05-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
ETA: A more accurate (and less judgmental) title would be "Morgan's car crashed in accident.
I think the car will raise the Nuremberg defense.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:01 AM

Even calling it a crash is overkill. This was almost literally a fender bender, if fibre glass bended.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
If you look at post #3, I was careful to say the crashed cars' tires weren't visible in the photos.
You said that, along with four other sentences saying it was probably Tracy's fault.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I don't understand why that wasn't a double lane turn. It looked like there were two lanes on that other road. But the people that drive that area can see the traffic signs and know the rules.
Quote:
I think it likely was still mostly her fault for not being aware of where other cars are, but looking at street view I think she was in the right lane. The problem is that there is also a shoulder area that is not marked as either a parking lane or a turn lane.

I suspect that she kept going in the right lane and attempted to turn from there. He meanwhile has passed some parked cars and moved right into the 'lane' after the parked cars have ended in order to turn right. They then both proceed to try to turn into the same lane of the one-way st.

OK, so setting aside the Tracy bashing or sports-car-hating or NYC-is-crazy-to-drive-in type responses, here are the facts:

The TMZ article analyzing who's at fault states the accident happened on 10th Ave. and 42nd St., with "Tracy cruising westbound on 42nd Street and preparing to make a legal turn onto 10th Ave.", and a picture of the accident scene that matches this Google Maps view of the intersection:

https://goo.gl/maps/1NCCB85dyybkxLsv9

Now, 42nd St. is a major crosstown street in Manhattan, one of the few that have traffic going in both directions. It has two lanes of traffic in each direction, separated by a double yellow line, and an additional "parking lane" in each direction.

The so-called "parking lane" is often supposed to be used as a third line for traffic at peak times; if you go back eastward on 42nd St. to see what the approach to the intersection is like, as both of them would have been driving westbound towards 10th Ave.,

https://goo.gl/maps/yL7bJBqC8xycnBLB6

You'll see a truck for "Alma Gourmet" near the intersection in the "parking lane", and if you zoom in on the red traffic regulations sign near the Chase bank, you'd see:

NO STANDING 7AM-10AM, 4PM-7PM, EXCEPT SUNDAY
NO STANDING EXCEPT TRUCKS LOADING AND UNLOADING 10AM-4PM EXCEPT SUNDAY

Mon-Sat at "peak times", you're not supposed to stop in the curbside lane, ever - it's meant for moving traffic. And any other time, it's only allowed for trucks loading and unloading, never passenger vehicles. (In NYC parlance, "parking" means the operator has killed the ignition and left the vehicle, while "standing" means the operator is still in or with the car, but not going anywhere.)

Now, I'll tell you that these types of rules are all over downtown and midtown Manhattan, and are often ignored until a traffic cop comes over to enforce them. Trucks will load/unload even from 7-10AM or 4-7PM, even double parking to load and unload; livery car drivers will "stand" against the curb awaiting their passengers; and so on. But, on a road like 42nd St., it is closely and heavily enforced.

What I expect happened is that Tracy was in the rightmost lane, like where the Alma Gourmet truck is in the second Google Maps Street View picture (from Jul 2018), and made a right turn coming out of a red light; and that this Honda Civic was in the middle lane, but what would have been the "right lane" if the parking lane were full of parked cars or trucks, and obliviously made a right turn without seeing if the car to her right was parked/standing or in motion, and not even assuming the car on her right was parked, but not even mentally registering that it was possible for vehicles in the right lane to contain live traffic, even though it always SHOULD, during the day except on Sunday.

This happens to me ALL THE TIME in NYC, and is especially a hazard while bicycling or motorcycling - people making right turns across the "parking lane" when that lane is, in fact, a live lane for forward moving traffic. Usually without signaling. I've been hit that way in both a car and a motorcycle, fortunately only clipped and not full-on T-boned.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:07 AM

robardin, Thank you for your first hand knowledge of the intersection. It clears up a lot of confusion.

I shouldn't have let the ostentatious display of wealth and privilege influence my OP.

I don't need to be reminded that Tracy can spend his money however he wants. It's nice being rich.

Too bad the rest of society can't get a piece of that luxurious lifestyle.

Oh my goodness, I sound like AOC.

Last edited by aceplace57; 06-05-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
robardin, Thank you for your first hand knowledge of the intersection. It clears up a lot of confusion.

I shouldn't have let that ostentatious display of wealth and privilege influence my OP.

I don't need to be reminded that Tracy can spend his money however he wants. It's nice being rich.

Too bad the rest of society can't get a piece of that luxurious lifestyle.
Why are you reading TMZ then?
Old 06-05-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
...fibre glass...
On a Bugatti? Graphene infused with nanobots, I think you mean.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post

What I expect happened is that Tracy was in the rightmost lane, like where the Alma Gourmet truck is in the second Google Maps Street View picture (from Jul 2018), and made a right turn coming out of a red light; and that this Honda Civic was in the middle lane, but what would have been the "right lane" if the parking lane were full of parked cars or trucks, and obliviously made a right turn without seeing if the car to her right was parked/standing or in motion, and not even assuming the car on her right was parked, but not even mentally registering that it was possible for vehicles in the right lane to contain live traffic, even though it always SHOULD, during the day except on Sunday.
Thanks for clarifying the rules for use of the curbside lane. The lady was not paying enough attention and could have killed someone if Tracy had been on a bicycle instead of a Bugatti.

Last edited by Folly; 06-05-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
That was the link that had the best pictures.

I saw Tracy's crash reported on my newsfeed and Google lead me to TMZ.

I'm glad it wasn't a high impact crash. Tracy had some spinal damage after the semi hit his limo. Another hard hit could be really bad for Tracy's health.

Last edited by aceplace57; 06-05-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
OK, so setting aside the Tracy bashing or sports-car-hating or NYC-is-crazy-to-drive-in type responses, here are the facts:

The TMZ article analyzing who's at fault states the accident happened on 10th Ave. and 42nd St., with "Tracy cruising westbound on 42nd Street and preparing to make a legal turn onto 10th Ave.", and a picture of the accident scene that matches this Google Maps view of the intersection:
I hadn't seen the nice front view of the cars in that article, and with your explanation it looks a lot like Morgan is not at fault and the other car is. I hope he's not an asshole about it.

Last edited by TriPolar; 06-05-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I hadn't seen the nice front view of the cars in that article, and with your explanation it looks a lot like Morgan is not at fault and the other car is. I hope he's not an asshole about it.
As someone who's been clipped by people obliviously making a right turn across "an empty parking lane that is actually for live traffic", I wouldn't mind seeing this making more headlines as a PSA about how terrible that is, or seeing her get hit with the appropriate number of points on her license.

And even had the car not been a Bugatti but an ordinary Honda Accord or something, it's quite probable that the body damage would be expensive to repair: impact and scraping on multiple pieces door, front panel, wheel well, etc., replacing the pieces and sanding/painting would cost several thousand.

And then there's the additional annoyance of this ending up on the insurance claims records. I just sold my 2008 Acura MDX for at least $1000 less than I would have gotten for it had it had an "accident free" Carfax report, the "accident" referring to an insurance claim I filed to have it repaired from multiple panel scraping when a landscaping truck carrying some fallen tree or something drove down my street and majorly scraped the entire left side of my street-parked car and two others. I didn't do anything wrong, the car wasn't mechanically impaired, but the car is documented as no longer being "accident free history" and its market value takes a hit, full stop.

Now the fact that the Bugatti's body parts may cost much more than a Honda Accord's would is unfortunate, but are you suggesting that Tracy ought to suck it up because "he can afford it" if the woman's car insurance policy doesn't cover it completely? I could see doing that in his position if I felt bad enough, but it would all depend on how she acted or pled, and my own financial situation to absorb it. Certainly it wouldn't be a case of him being "an asshole" to insist the damaging party make restitution.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Why? Why would you possibly care how some stranger acts with another stranger while filing their insurance claims? Just because you don't like his comedy doesn't mean Morgan is some jerk.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
As someone who's been clipped by people obliviously making a right turn across "an empty parking lane that is actually for live traffic", I wouldn't mind seeing this making more headlines as a PSA about how terrible that is, or seeing her get hit with the appropriate number of points on her license.

And even had the car not been a Bugatti but an ordinary Honda Accord or something, it's quite probable that the body damage would be expensive to repair: impact and scraping on multiple pieces door, front panel, wheel well, etc., replacing the pieces and sanding/painting would cost several thousand.

And then there's the additional annoyance of this ending up on the insurance claims records. I just sold my 2008 Acura MDX for at least $1000 less than I would have gotten for it had it had an "accident free" Carfax report, the "accident" referring to an insurance claim I filed to have it repaired from multiple panel scraping when a landscaping truck carrying some fallen tree or something drove down my street and majorly scraped the entire left side of my street-parked car and two others. I didn't do anything wrong, the car wasn't mechanically impaired, but the car is documented as no longer being "accident free history" and its market value takes a hit, full stop.

Now the fact that the Bugatti's body parts may cost much more than a Honda Accord's would is unfortunate, but are you suggesting that Tracy ought to suck it up because "he can afford it" if the woman's car insurance policy doesn't cover it completely? I could see doing that in his position if I felt bad enough, but it would all depend on how she acted or pled, and my own financial situation to absorb it. Certainly it wouldn't be a case of him being "an asshole" to insist the damaging party make restitution.
Quote:
Why? Why would you possibly care how some stranger acts with another stranger while filing their insurance claims? Just because you don't like his comedy doesn't mean Morgan is some jerk.
I just don't want to see the other driver bankrupted by this. I think the liability for damages should be limited in a case like this, assuming it was just an accident. He was already acting like an jerk by pounding on her car.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
A stranger on the internet expressing an opinion that strangers on the internet shouldn't express their opinions? How meta

Why? Obviously because of the potential consequences. Hoping he's not an asshole need not be based on any presumption about his character, it's based on consideration of the potentially devastating consequences for the woman who hit him if he is.

Last edited by Riemann; 06-05-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
The mystery for me is how that low-talent unfunny hack has enough money to buy a 10-year old Hyundai, let alone a $2M Bugatti.
Here you go. Star and EP of a top rated sitcom, just renewed for season 3.
Coincidentally, the last episode of the second season of his TBS series, The Last O.G., aired last night. I've watched both seasons and it's pretty good, as these things go.
Quote:
Quote:
That was the link that had the best pictures.

I saw Tracy's crash reported on my newsfeed and Google lead me to TMZ.

I'm glad it wasn't a high impact crash. Tracy had some spinal damage after the semi hit his limo. Another hard hit could be really bad for Tracy's health.
In addition to the medical issues after the crash between his minibus and the Walmart tractor-trailer, I believe he's a kidney transplant recipient. So his medical history is a little complicated. It doesn't look from the pictures that there were any injuries in this accident, but he does need to be careful.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure where this happened but in most states, you can claim damage from "diminished value" to account for exactly this effect.

I'm guessing the diminished value on a lightly crashed Bugatti is probably going to be somewhere between the cost of a new Porsche Boxster and a new Ferrari Portofino.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Makes sense to me Folly.
I like that analysis so much, I want to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just don't want to see the other driver bankrupted by this. I think the liability for damages should be limited in a case like this, assuming it was just an accident. He was already acting like an jerk by pounding on her car.
Why would the other driver be bankrupted? If they don't have insurance, maybe, but that's on them.
If they have insurance, it'll cover the damages. In New York, you have to have $10,000 worth of coverage for property damage. That, I'd imagine, would cover repairing the damaged panels and enough that the remainder doesn't bankrupt them. The driver may even have insurance above and beyond the state required minimum as well as an umbrella policy that would catch the rest.

As for the accident-free issue. I'd be surprised (or, let's call it curious) how much that comes into play with a car like this.
At the very least, the report will probably say that what was damaged and replaced and because Tracy is so famous there's always going to be pictures of it on the internet that he can point to and say 'see, just a little bit of body damage'.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
Well, I wasn't asking so much about whether your policy would protect you, I was asking about the degree of liability in the first place.

You can do a reductio ad absurdum. What if a billionaire is driving a car on the public roads with custom paintwork by David Hockney, valued at $100 million. A simple fender bender causes damage estimated at $10 million.

At what point is the value of a car so ridiculous that you must bear responsibility for exposing it to risk of damage by driving it on public roads?
The owners of expensive cars would be wise to invest in uninsured/underinsured policies. Problem solved.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Why would the other driver be bankrupted?
The driver was from New Jersey, which only requires $5,000 in property damage coverage. There's not a lot of great info out there about Bugatti insurance costs but I found this post about a Russian repair bill for a seemingly similar amount of damage. https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=63&t=1184986

It all looks pretty minor. That was roughly $120,000 USD in damage as of 2012.

Plus, as I noted above, perhaps $200,000 in diminished value because the people who are collecting Bugattis don't want one that's been crashed and repaired. So, her insurance may cover as little as $5,000 and she may be liable for the remaining ~$320,000. I'm guessing that's the kind of money that could drive a woman who worries about her insurance rate going up into bankruptcy. I'd guess it's even likely.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
The owners of expensive cars would be wise to invest in uninsured/underinsured policies. Problem solved.
Perhaps but that just means Mr. Morgan's insurance company will pursue her instead.

Last edited by Tired and Cranky; 06-05-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:52 PM

This was a fender bender, not a crash. In no way was his Bugatti totaled.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Why would the other driver be bankrupted? If they don't have insurance, maybe, but that's on them.
If they have insurance, it'll cover the damages. In New York, you have to have $10,000 worth of coverage for property damage. That, I'd imagine, would cover repairing the damaged panels and enough that the remainder doesn't bankrupt them. The driver may even have insurance above and beyond the state required minimum as well as an umbrella policy that would catch the rest.
If it's a reasonable cost to replace it, which might even be more than $10,000 but not something like $100,000 then it shouldn't bankrupt someone with required insurance. But if he tries to pile on claims, saying he was injured, not mitigating the property damages, then it could easily cost her twice as much with legal fees. If he settles this reasonably then no one can accuse him being an asshole about it. It's up to him.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired and Cranky View Post
The driver was from New Jersey, which only requires $5,000 in property damage coverage. There's not a lot of great info out there about Bugatti insurance costs but I found this post about a Russian repair bill for a seemingly similar amount of damage. https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=63&t=1184986

It all looks pretty minor. That was roughly $120,000 USD in damage as of 2012.

Plus, as I noted above, perhaps $200,000 in diminished value because the people who are collecting Bugattis don't want one that's been crashed and repaired. So, her insurance may cover as little as $5,000 and she may be liable for the remaining ~$320,000. I'm guessing that's the kind of money that could drive a woman who worries about her insurance rate going up into bankruptcy. I'd guess it's even likely.
That was considerably more damage than what happened to Tracy's car. In addition to several body panels, spoilers and a wheel well, the bill also included a new tire and rim.

Quote:
If it's a reasonable cost to replace it, which might even be more than $10,000 but not something like $100,000 then it shouldn't bankrupt someone with required insurance. But if he tries to pile on claims, saying he was injured, not mitigating the property damages, then it could easily cost her twice as much with legal fees. If he settles this reasonably then no one can accuse him being an asshole about it. It's up to him.
But the injuries are totally different. The injuries (in theory, anyways) would be the same if she hit Tracy in a million dollar car or Joe Blow in a $20,000 car.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:44 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
He lives in New York. Where else is he supposed to drive his car? The reason rush hour exists is because that's when everyone needs to drive. Why is it stupid for someone to drive the car he just purchased? I really just don't understand your reasoning. What's the point of having an expensive car and not driving it? You would have it shipped to your house? What about when you have to go to work in the morning?? Would you have your car shipped to work while you take a cab?
That's how you sound. Do you think someone should just ship their expensive car everywhere they need to go, while they follow behind in an Uber? That way, nothing bad could ever happen to it. I bet it makes total sense to you; maybe even about as smart as you can get. Or, should someone only drive their nice car at 0100 Monday morning, to ensure the absolute least number of other cars on the road?
Some people buy a nice car because they know they know they'll be stuck in traffic and they don't want to suffer in some piece of shit. They want luxury, and they can afford it. That's not stupid.
Unless something has changed that I havenít heard he lives in Alpine New Jersey.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
But the injuries are totally different. The injuries (in theory, anyways) would be the same if she hit Tracy in a million dollar car or Joe Blow in a $20,000 car.
Or they may be non-existent but still cost her a lot in legal fees. If he was actually injured then he wouldn't be a jerk for seeking reasonable compensation.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
That was considerably more damage than what happened to Tracy's car. In addition to several body panels, spoilers and a wheel well, the bill also included a new tire and rim.
I was in a very similar accident roughly 12 years ago. I was in the left lane going straight when the car to my right turned left across my lane as we both pulled away from a stop light. My (much shittier) car needed a new wheel, wheel cover, tire, fender, bumper cover, attached spoiler, control arm, reflector, and headlight, among other miscellaneous and sundry parts. It was, if I recall correctly, around $2500 total. Bugatti parts and labor are going to be astronomically more expensive. The annual service for a Bugatti is over $21,000, or about 70 times the annual service on my last car. I don't think the $120,000 estimate is all that unrealistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
This was a fender bender, not a crash. In no way was his Bugatti totaled.
I certainly didn't suggest it was totaled. Even used, those Bugattis go for over $1 million. It would take at least $750,000 in damage to total it. The damage is perhaps a third of that.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
He lives in New York. Where else is he supposed to drive his car? The reason rush hour exists is because that's when everyone needs to drive. Why is it stupid for someone to drive the car he just purchased? I really just don't understand your reasoning. What's the point of having an expensive car and not driving it? You would have it shipped to your house? What about when you have to go to work in the morning?? Would you have your car shipped to work while you take a cab?
That's how you sound. Do you think someone should just ship their expensive car everywhere they need to go, while they follow behind in an Uber? That way, nothing bad could ever happen to it. I bet it makes total sense to you; maybe even about as smart as you can get. Or, should someone only drive their nice car at 0100 Monday morning, to ensure the absolute least number of other cars on the road?
Some people buy a nice car because they know they know they'll be stuck in traffic and they don't want to suffer in some piece of shit. They want luxury, and they can afford it. That's not stupid.
This kind of luxury is not so much comfort luxury as performance luxury. It is pretty foolish to use this kind of car for commuting through heavy traffic in the city. It's not easy to drive at low speeds, it's not maneuverable, the clutch and engine can overheat much more easily than a normal car, the spoiler has minimal clearance and is easily damaged on potholed roads. It's just not designed for constant stop-start at low speeds, so it's certainly not a luxury experience to drive one in heavy traffic, it's quite stressful.

So yes, the usual thing would be to commute in something more suitable, and keep it at your country mansion for fun driving on emptier roads at the weekend. And when you're paying this much for a car, they will obviously deliver it in a trailer anywhere you want.

Last edited by Riemann; 06-05-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:08 PM

*When I say "the usual thing", I mean the usual thing if you buy the car because you want to experience driving it, rather than being looked at. So, perhaps not the usual thing.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Unless something has changed that I haven’t heard he lives in Alpine New Jersey.
And even if he doesn’t intend to drive it in NYC, he’s got to get it home from the dealership. The place where the accident occurred was in the neighborhood where most of the Manhattan car dealers are located, and given the location of the accident, it’s conceivable that he was heading straight home from there.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 06-05-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I swear to Og, I thought they stopped making Bugattis around WWII. This was the picture the thread title put in my head.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
This kind of luxury is not so much comfort luxury as performance luxury. It is pretty foolish to use this kind of car for commuting through heavy traffic in the city. It's not easy to drive at low speeds, it's not maneuverable, the clutch and engine can overheat much more easily than a normal car, the spoiler has minimal clearance and is easily damaged on potholed roads. It's just not designed for constant stop-start at low speeds, so it's certainly not a luxury experience to drive one in heavy traffic, it's quite stressful.

So yes, the usual thing would be to commute in something more suitable, and keep it at your country mansion for fun driving on emptier roads at the weekend. And when you're paying this much for a car, they will obviously deliver it in a trailer anywhere you want.
Where do you get these ideas? The Veyron is a luxury car with an automatic transmission, power steering, air conditioning, and all the normal luxury appointments. It has two computer controlled clutches but they are designed to withstand the application of over 1000 horsepower for as long as the fuel lasts. The Volkswagen executive responsible for the Veyron, Ferdinand Piech, is famous for demanding that a lesser Volkswagen be capable of driving for an entire day at 186 mph, in 120 degree weather, with the air conditioning set at 72 degrees, all without overheating. The Veyron has something like 10 radiators designed to cool all its fluids when travelling over 250 mph. I've never heard of one overheating in any conditions. Maneuverability wasn't the problem here; the problem was the driver of a Honda CR-V who doesn't know how to drive. Based on her statements, she didn't learn anything from this accident either. She thinks Tracy Morgan did something wrong. Police who witnessed the accident were quick to note that he was not cited. She could have killed a biker, like robardin. Perhaps an accident that costs her a couple hundred thousand dollars will be an object lesson for terrible drivers everywhere.

The Bugattis measurable performance is irrelevant here. The principal performance attribute of a Bugatti Veyron is demonstrating that the owner is rich and brash enough to drive a Bugatti. That is a job best accomplished in the city where people can see it.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Yes, by far. According to the second link in the OP, he allegedly won $90 million. So, a slightly used Bugatti is just pocket change to him.
Ah, then order is returned to the universe.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
...So yes, the usual thing would be to commute in something more suitable, and keep it at your country mansion for fun driving on emptier roads at the weekend. And when you're paying this much for a car, they will obviously deliver it in a trailer anywhere you want.
Aw man. Pony up $2 mill for a Bugatti, and need to shell out for a SECOND car?!

Maybe he'll buy a beater, and slap on a bumper sticker saying, "My other car is a Bugatti!"

Yeah, he can choose to drive whatever wherever he wants, but if it were me, I'd have had the dealer trailer the Bugatti to my home.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
A stranger on the internet expressing an opinion that strangers on the internet shouldn't express their opinions? How meta
When you're walking down the street and you see a fender bender, does it ever occur to you to think "boy, I hope the guy who got hit isn't an asshole to the other driver"?
Old 06-05-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Well, acey is not completely off the mark. Cars like that have very little clearance. I'd never drive one in Manhattan because the roads are in such poor shape - you'd smash up your front spoiler on the bumps in no time. Lamborghini has a front suspension lift system to try to make them a bit more practical:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhH2q9gbAGY
Wasn't there a Top Gear episode where the guys were driving low-slung supercars from Paris to London? One of them, Hammond, I think, spent thirty minutes trying to get his ...Ferrari, if memory serves... out of the parking garage without trashing the front end where the ramp from the garage met the street.

Quote:
Without any evidence I still expect that idiot Morgan caused the crash. He probably zoomed out of that dealership like he was in a Formula 1 race.

And I can't help mentioning that I hate him because the cutest girl in the 6th grade was named Tracy Morgan and as soon as I saw him on SNL that memory was ruined for me forever.
Huh, that's weird. Very same thing happened to me in high school. I used to sit across from her, just so I could bask in the beauty of Bill Hader.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:

There's no blame being assigned.
Nobody's disputing the use of "car crash". It's how the rest of the words interact with that phrase. You said "Tracy Morgan crashed his car" right there in the subject. That's active voice, saying Tracy Morgan did this (crashed his car). A few other posters have listed the other ways you assigned blame in your posts.

If you didn't want to assign blame, you'd have said "Tracy Morgan was in a car crash".

Do you see the difference between the two sentences? One is active - Tracy Morgan did something; one is passive - something happened to Tracy Morgan.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
Wasn't there a Top Gear episode where the guys were driving low-slung supercars from Paris to London? One of them, Hammond, I think, spent thirty minutes trying to get his ...Ferrari, if memory serves... out of the parking garage without trashing the front end where the ramp from the garage met the street.
I remember that. Urban parking garages, particularly older ones in older cities, really aren't designed for low-riding supercars.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Where do you get these ideas?
From Lamborghini and Ferrari. Obviously I've never driven a Bugatti, ignorance fought if they are a lot more user-friendly. I guess that's what the incremental $1.7 million buys you.

In any event, I was speaking only to where I'd choose to drive a car like that, I didn't intend to imply that this made Morgan at fault for the collision.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know what "needlessly hugging the white line" even means. Non-famous driver says in her interview that both drivers were turning right. From the pictures, it looks like they were heading west on W. 42nd Street and turning right on 10th Ave. Mr. Morgan was in the right lane, which is where someone turning right belongs. Non-famous driver was turning right from the second lane from the left, which is an improper turn. She also tried to change lanes in the intersection, which most states outlaw (I don't know about New York specifically). She also failed to yield to traffic (i.e., Mr. Morgan) already in that lane. In my view based on what I can see, she is entirely at fault here.

She's worried about her insurance going up. She should worry that her insurance is entirely inadequate. New Jersey only requires a minimum of $5,000 in property liability coverage. If she's carrying the minimum, she could be out of pocket by tens of thousands of dollars.
Quote:

The only scenario where this is Tracy's fault is if he was trying to do some third-lane passing or if he was pulling out from a curbside parking spot/loading zone/hydrant. I would bet the SUV driver couldn't see the super-low Bugatti out her side views. Without knowing the intersection it's tough to know if it''s completely unreasonable to be turning right from that lane.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavalla View Post
Nobody's disputing the use of "car crash". It's how the rest of the words interact with that phrase. You said "Tracy Morgan crashed his car" right there in the subject. That's active voice, saying Tracy Morgan did this (crashed his car). A few other posters have listed the other ways you assigned blame in your posts.

If you didn't want to assign blame, you'd have said "Tracy Morgan was in a car crash".

Do you see the difference between the two sentences? One is active - Tracy Morgan did something; one is passive - something happened to Tracy Morgan.
FWIW, the CNN headline right now says, "Tracy Morgan gets in a crash right after buying a $2million Bugatti."
Old 06-05-2019, 07:01 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

This is why we need a 70% tax rate on the wealthy.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:03 PM

Meh, if Forza 4 is to be believed, the Veyron handles like crap anyway, the Veyron is a one trick pony hypercar, it's party piece is going as fast as conceivably possible in a straight line...

handling is an afterthought.

Give me a Ferrari F-40 any day, *THAT'S* a real supercar, completely driver-focused, if it doesn't make the car handle better or accelerate faster, it has no place on the car, the F-40 was basically a street-legal Formula One