Old 06-19-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
Nearly everyone smokes casually on set. Brett gets in trouble regularly for eating during taping, but no one seems to care about the smoking, and every place has it's own ashtray. The ashtrays always look clean, so I'm guessing that some gopher cleans them out every commercial break.
Lots of older SF has people in the future casually smoking in spaceships and other confined spaces, and not as the affectation of some rich guy that no one can say no to, but just a casual part of the background. There's actually a great scene in the first Lensman book where the graduating class of cadets finishes their synchronized marching and sits down in chairs for their graduation speech. The high-ranking guy giving the speech says 'you've all shown yourselves to be immune to the lure of noxious drugs.' and then moments later 'Open the compartment in front of you, and you'll see a pack of your favorite smokes. Light up!'.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

By contrast, a contemporary SF book I read recently has a smuggler on a lunar colony making good money by bringing cigars to a super-rich dude.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
Lots of older SF has people in the future casually smoking in spaceships and other confined spaces, and not as the affectation of some rich guy that no one can say no to, but just a casual part of the background.
I'll do better than that.

The Hindenburg zeppelin, you know, an aircraft full of highly flammable hydrogen gas, actually had a real, honest-to-Og smoking room on board.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

It's hard to see how that would represent any real meaningful risk.

Well, I mean, aside from the risk of lung cancer and heart disease and so on.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
By contrast, a contemporary SF book I read recently has a smuggler on a lunar colony making good money by bringing cigars to a super-rich dude.
I read that one.

With all the talk about smoking, how about drinking. As recently as the 1980s, a drunk like "Arthur" could be the romantic lead (without giving up the drinking to any real extent), and back in the first half of the 20th century, characters in books and movies drank an incredible amount.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:41 PM

Which reminds me of how in The Andy Griffith Show, Otis, the town drunk, is portrayed as a lovable comedic character rather than someone who has a serious problem.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
The Hindenburg zeppelin, you know, an aircraft full of highly flammable hydrogen gas, actually had a real, honest-to-Og smoking room on board.
The smoking room on the Hindenburg was carefully sealed so that passengers could indulge without creating a explosive flaming holocaust. The Hindenburg was the equivalent of an aerial ocean liner, as opposed to its predecessor the Graf Zeppelin, which did record-breaking tricks like flying around the world, visiting the poles, etc.

Passengers on the Graf Zeppelin were expected to refrain from tobacco, hashish, and opium until the big bird landed in Germany, Argentina, or New Jersey.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
I read that one.

With all the talk about smoking, how about drinking. As recently as the 1980s, a drunk like "Arthur" could be the romantic lead (without giving up the drinking to any real extent), and back in the first half of the 20th century, characters in books and movies drank an incredible amount.
That reminds me of "Dallas". When I saw it as a tween in the early eighties, I asked myself: "Is it typical for Americans to drink hard booze at each and every opportunity?" They were always drinking, be it a family gathering or a business meeting.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The Hindenburg also included a grand piano (made of aluminum) in the dining room. Passengers on the Graf Zeppelin were entertained by the captain playing his accordion.

There is no historical record of how many of the captive audience leapt out into the Atlantic Ocean.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
The Hindenburg also included a grand piano (made of aluminum) in the dining room. Passengers on the Graf Zeppelin were entertained by the captain playing his accordion...
According to my great aunt that piano sounded terrible. Goodyear had plans for passenger rigid airships that would've used helium (like the Navy airships); presumably they ever built one the promotional material would've made a big deal over being able to casually smoke anywhere on the ship instead of a tiny sealed lounge.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Which reminds me of how in The Andy Griffith Show, Otis, the town drunk, is portrayed as a lovable comedic character rather than someone who has a serious problem.

Including domestic violence.

(That whole episode has attitude problems.)
Old 06-20-2019, 02:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
The smoking room on the Hindenburg was carefully sealed so that passengers could indulge without creating a explosive flaming holocaust.
I understand also that passengers might bring cigarettes, pipes, and cigars to smoke on board, but they were not allowed to bring matches or lighters on board. The only matches on board were in the hands of the smoking room's steward, who would happily provide a light in the smoking room. But nowhere else, and neither would he provide a match to a passenger for use elsewhere.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:18 AM

In my haste yesterday while posting about The King's Speech, I forgot to note that King George VI (Bertie) died of (primarily) lung cancer at the age of 56.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

There were no such things as concussion protocols. No private eye could get through a book without being knocked unconscious at least once. In The Last Secret by Dana Chambers, the good guy gets knocked out progressively harder four times, and then gets out of a hospital bed to fly off on a secret mission to Peru.

But even ordinary people in movies get knocked on the head all the time. Sometimes it's comic, sometimes it's serious, but there's never lasting effects and everybody shakes it off and proceeds with the plot.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I'll do better than that.

That's distinctly different than what I'm thinking of though - they had a special room with special precautions, and people went there to smoke instead of hanging out wherever. If the stories I'm thinking of had a smoking room with special climate control, or had some sort of 'hookah mask' they put on to smoke it would be like the Hindenburg siutaiont. What I'm thinking of is people just casually smoking in their small, limited oxygen and weight environments. And especially if they're eating nutrient paste from a tube or carrying food pills to save weight, but taking full packs of cigarettes (including packaging) instead of nicotine patches or pills, or at least compact tobacco with a reusable holder to get rid of filters and boxes.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
That reminds me of a real doozy. In an episode of the Dick Van Dyke show (the Lady and the Tiger and the Lawyer), Rob and Laurie each set up the new neighbor on dates - Rob sets him up on a date with his coworker (Sally) and Laurie sets him up on a date with her cousin. Both dates apparently go very well - the guy likes Sally, and he likes the cousin. Which one is he going to call for a second date? Apparently neither - but why? The reason why is that the neighbor has a problem - he beats up women he gets involved with, and until his psychologist cures him, he's only dating women once, so he doesn't get attached.

If you think I'm kidding - http://dickvandykeshow.blogspot.com/...nd-lawyer.html confirms my memory of the storyline
Old 06-20-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
There were no such things as concussion protocols. No private eye could get through a book without being knocked unconscious at least once. In The Last Secret by Dana Chambers, the good guy gets knocked out progressively harder four times, and then gets out of a hospital bed to fly off on a secret mission to Peru.

But even ordinary people in movies get knocked on the head all the time. Sometimes it's comic, sometimes it's serious, but there's never lasting effects and everybody shakes it off and proceeds with the plot.
In an individual book, you don't notice it, but over the course of the series, it's frightening how many times Tarzan got knocked out, woke up with amnesia, then suddenly made a complete recovery by the climax of the story.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
In an individual book, you don't notice it, but over the course of the series, it's frightening how many times Tarzan got knocked out, woke up with amnesia, then suddenly made a complete recovery by the climax of the story.
My wife (Dendarii Dame) tells me that Nancy Drew (a teenager!) gets a concussion in most of her books - yikes.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

A trope neatly subverted in Morons from Outer Space.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
What I'm thinking of is people just casually smoking in their small, limited oxygen and weight environments.
Like a submarine. The Navy used to allow smoking in subs until they banned it altogether in 2010.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Andy L, at least that guy recognizes that his behavior is a problem, and is taking steps to try to curb it.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Like a submarine. The Navy used to allow smoking in subs until they banned it altogether in 2010.
What I said doesn't really match what I was thinking - I'm thinking more of closed environments with really tight restrictions on everything and really heavy recycling. US Navy Submarines are nuclear and generate oxygen by using the reactor to separate seawater into hydrogen and oxygen, they're not limited to on board oxygen supplies, and aren't recycling their air and water the way spaceships would have to. On older, non-nuclear submarines people would smoke while the sub was surfaced, but it wasn't allowed while they were submerged, and that's a much more space ship like environment in my mind. Also the sub isn't so limited in weight and food supplies that the sailors are eating nutrient paste and pills instead of real food, so having regular packs of cigarettes doesn't seem off in the same way.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Andy L, at least that guy recognizes that his behavior is a problem, and is taking steps to try to curb it.
True, but the seriousness of the problem doesn't match well with the lightness of the rest of the episode, suggesting that the problem wasn't really taken that seriously when the episode was new.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
That reminds me of "Dallas". When I saw it as a tween in the early eighties, I asked myself: "Is it typical for Americans to drink hard booze at each and every opportunity?" They were always drinking, be it a family gathering or a business meeting.
People on Dallas drinking? Try watching any Brit series nowadays. My impression is that every single police officer has two or three bottles in his/her desk. This doesn't include meeting right after work to hoist a few.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:45 PM

In an early 70's novel by an author who later became very popular (neither the name or the title will come to me just now) there is a scene where a man invites his boss for dinner, and his young wife meets the boss at the front door of their apartment building. On the way up the stairs (it's a third floor walk-up) she drops a hint that "If he doesn't get a promotion soon my legs will be all muscles!"

The author then leaps to the boss's mind where the soft flesh of her legs is admired as he follows her up the stairs "No muscles there!"
Old 06-20-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post

This has not changed at all. It's still a trope of shows and movies, and I have yet to see the effects of head trauma treated accurately in anything.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
This has not changed at all. It's still a trope of shows and movies, and I have yet to see the effects of head trauma treated accurately in anything.
In "Elementary" Sherlock Holmes takes several months to recover after his repeated concussions catch up to him (and the risks of further injuries are also mentioned from time to time).
Old 06-20-2019, 07:53 PM

I thought of one: In Vertigo, where James Stewart's character makes his new girlfriend change her hair and clothing to resemble the woman who'd died earlier in the film. Especially when he's at the department store searching for a very specific dress that she'd worn, the women working there act as if there's absolutely nothing unusual about a man telling his girlfriend what to wear. As I recall one of them says something along the lines of "It sounds like the gentleman knows what he wants" when she suggests buying a different dress instead.

SPOILER:
At this point he doesn't yet know that the girlfriend and the woman who "died" are the same person. She'd been hired to impersonate someone and fake her death as part of a murder plot. Or maybe he suspects it, which is why he wants to do the whole makeover thing. Even if that's the reason it's still weird from a modern perspective for him to tell his girlfriend exactly how to dress.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

I just spotted a scene in a Perry Mason show that comes off as creepy today: Mason goes to a house and spots a young boy outside playing alone. That sort of thing has been mentioned before in this thread, but Mason goes up to boy to ask a few questions. The boy is silent, then says he's not supposed to talk to strangers. Mason says, "It's all right. I'm talking to you."

Innocent back then, but it's sounds like a line a pedophile might use.