Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-17-2019, 03:28 PM
It's Not Rocket Surgery! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brownbackistan
Posts: 4,357

Megadeth's Dave Mustaine has throat cancer


His doctors say the planned treatment has a 90% success rate.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/17/enter...rnd/index.html
  #2  
Old 06-17-2019, 03:55 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,684
I'm surprised the guy's still alive.

I read his autobiography a while back, and while my speculation about it was incorrect (that it would make Motley Crue's "The Dirt" look like the McGuffey Reader; THAT turned out to be the other way around) he's had a terrible life, and admits it.

p.s. There's been a similar rumor about Neil Peart for over 30 years. AFAIK, that's never been the case either.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 06-17-2019 at 03:56 PM.
  #3  
Old 06-17-2019, 04:01 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,364
I had a friend relay the tweet to me this morning. I replied "Fuck cancer."

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-17-2019 at 04:03 PM.
  #4  
Old 06-17-2019, 05:27 PM
Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 29,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I read his autobiography a while back, and while my speculation about it was incorrect (that it would make Motley Crue's "The Dirt" look like the McGuffey Reader; THAT turned out to be the other way around) he's had a terrible life, and admits it.
Care to share some details? I believe(though this is from memory...) that he was kicked out of Metallica for being a drunk jerk they couldn't stand. I thought he cleaned up his:

1. Drinking
2. Jerk behavior

and kind of became workable again. I thought Metallica even agreed to tour with Megadeth at some point, kind of putting it all behind them. There were rumors at one point he even became a Christian and really set on cleaning things up. No?

I do remember that he lost use of his arm at one point and had to work to get it back.

What else happened? Or did he never stop drinking?
  #5  
Old 06-17-2019, 05:30 PM
snfaulkner's Avatar
snfaulkner is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 7,647
Heroin happened. A lot of it. I highly recommend reading that book. No matter how much success he achieved, he was always bitter about the Metallica thing.
__________________
It may be because I'm a drooling simpleton with the attention span of a demented gnat, but would you mind explaining everything in words of one syllable. 140 chars max.
  #6  
Old 06-17-2019, 05:58 PM
Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 29,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Heroin happened. A lot of it. I highly recommend reading that book. No matter how much success he achieved, he was always bitter about the Metallica thing.
Did he record an audio book version?
  #7  
Old 06-17-2019, 06:16 PM
snfaulkner's Avatar
snfaulkner is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 7,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Did he record an audio book version?
I dunno.
__________________
It may be because I'm a drooling simpleton with the attention span of a demented gnat, but would you mind explaining everything in words of one syllable. 140 chars max.
  #8  
Old 06-17-2019, 06:38 PM
Wesley Clark is offline
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I'm surprised the guy's still alive.

I read his autobiography a while back, and while my speculation about it was incorrect (that it would make Motley Crue's "The Dirt" look like the McGuffey Reader; THAT turned out to be the other way around) he's had a terrible life, and admits it.

p.s. There's been a similar rumor about Neil Peart for over 30 years. AFAIK, that's never been the case either.
If you liked the Dirt, then read the heroin diaries. That shit was really interesting.
__________________
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to sparkle motion
  #9  
Old 06-17-2019, 08:32 PM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 22,717
Sounds like the same cancer I had. HPV-16 caused throat cancer. I also had a super high treatment success rate. It was no fun while I was being treated and recovered but Iím fine now.
  #10  
Old 06-18-2019, 12:03 AM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,684
Several years ago, "60 Minutes" did a piece about a poverty-stricken Paraguayan community where the kids made serviceable musical instruments out of garbage, and a documentary was made about them called "Landfillharmonic."

http://www.landfillharmonicmovie.com/

Megadeth is, or was, a very popular band in that region, and when they found out about this, they not only subsidized part of the film, they also flew to Paraguay and appeared in it, and even brought the orchestra to the U.S. and did some shows with them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landfill_Harmonic

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3304524/
  #11  
Old 06-18-2019, 07:19 AM
Smid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Care to share some details? I believe(though this is from memory...) that he was kicked out of Metallica for being a drunk jerk they couldn't stand.
He was a heroin addict. Indeed some of Megadeth were also heroin addicts at different times.

Quote:
I thought Metallica even agreed to tour with Megadeth at some point, kind of putting it all behind them.
They toured together in 1993. They also were part of the a Metallica/Megadeth/Anthrax/Slayer tour in 2010.

Quote:
There were rumors at one point he even became a Christian and really set on cleaning things up. No?
He became Christian. Well, sort of always was, but became born again. I don't think it affects his music that much apart from refusing to play alongside the satanic supporting bands.
  #12  
Old 06-18-2019, 07:56 AM
Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 29,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post

He became Christian. Well, sort of always was, but became born again. I don't think it affects his music that much apart from refusing to play alongside the satanic supporting bands.
I know at least one guy in Slayer is actually Catholic and the whole "satan" thing is a joke or branding thing, but if he toured with Slayer, he certainly doesn't mind Satanic type stuff. Don't they sing Satanic songs? I know they have some anti-God/anti-Jesus titles and covers or something.
  #13  
Old 06-18-2019, 10:03 AM
Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
They toured together in 1993. They also were part of the a Metallica/Megadeth/Anthrax/Slayer tour in 2010.
Holy crapballs that's a helluva lineup.
__________________
Want to see more of my adventures in Orlando? Follow Mrs. Cups and me @theorlandoduo on Instagram. And check out our blog too: TheOrlandoDuo.com
  #14  
Old 06-18-2019, 10:15 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I know at least one guy in Slayer is actually Catholic and the whole "satan" thing is a joke or branding thing, but if he toured with Slayer, he certainly doesn't mind Satanic type stuff. Don't they sing Satanic songs? I know they have some anti-God/anti-Jesus titles and covers or something.
Slayer doesn't sing "satanic" songs; they do sing a lot about how religions have some fucked up tenets and get people to do fucked up things. Yes, mostly they focus on Christianity; it's the dominant religion in the society in which they live.
  #15  
Old 06-30-2019, 04:39 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,364
Dave says thank you.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017