Old 06-17-2019, 03:28 PM

Megadeth's Dave Mustaine has throat cancer

His doctors say the planned treatment has a 90% success rate.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/17/enter...rnd/index.html
Old 06-17-2019, 03:55 PM

I'm surprised the guy's still alive.

I read his autobiography a while back, and while my speculation about it was incorrect (that it would make Motley Crue's "The Dirt" look like the McGuffey Reader; THAT turned out to be the other way around) he's had a terrible life, and admits it.

p.s. There's been a similar rumor about Neil Peart for over 30 years. AFAIK, that's never been the case either.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 06-17-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:01 PM

I had a friend relay the tweet to me this morning. I replied "Fuck cancer."

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-17-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I read his autobiography a while back, and while my speculation about it was incorrect (that it would make Motley Crue's "The Dirt" look like the McGuffey Reader; THAT turned out to be the other way around) he's had a terrible life, and admits it.
Care to share some details? I believe(though this is from memory...) that he was kicked out of Metallica for being a drunk jerk they couldn't stand. I thought he cleaned up his:

1. Drinking
2. Jerk behavior

and kind of became workable again. I thought Metallica even agreed to tour with Megadeth at some point, kind of putting it all behind them. There were rumors at one point he even became a Christian and really set on cleaning things up. No?

I do remember that he lost use of his arm at one point and had to work to get it back.

What else happened? Or did he never stop drinking?
Old 06-17-2019, 05:30 PM

Heroin happened. A lot of it. I highly recommend reading that book. No matter how much success he achieved, he was always bitter about the Metallica thing.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Heroin happened. A lot of it. I highly recommend reading that book. No matter how much success he achieved, he was always bitter about the Metallica thing.
Did he record an audio book version?
Old 06-17-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Did he record an audio book version?
I dunno.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:38 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I'm surprised the guy's still alive.

p.s. There's been a similar rumor about Neil Peart for over 30 years. AFAIK, that's never been the case either.
If you liked the Dirt, then read the heroin diaries. That shit was really interesting.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:32 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Sounds like the same cancer I had. HPV-16 caused throat cancer. I also had a super high treatment success rate. It was no fun while I was being treated and recovered but Iím fine now.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:03 AM

Several years ago, "60 Minutes" did a piece about a poverty-stricken Paraguayan community where the kids made serviceable musical instruments out of garbage, and a documentary was made about them called "Landfillharmonic."

http://www.landfillharmonicmovie.com/

Megadeth is, or was, a very popular band in that region, and when they found out about this, they not only subsidized part of the film, they also flew to Paraguay and appeared in it, and even brought the orchestra to the U.S. and did some shows with them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landfill_Harmonic

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3304524/
Old 06-18-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Care to share some details? I believe(though this is from memory...) that he was kicked out of Metallica for being a drunk jerk they couldn't stand.
He was a heroin addict. Indeed some of Megadeth were also heroin addicts at different times.

Quote:
I thought Metallica even agreed to tour with Megadeth at some point, kind of putting it all behind them.
They toured together in 1993. They also were part of the a Metallica/Megadeth/Anthrax/Slayer tour in 2010.

Quote:
There were rumors at one point he even became a Christian and really set on cleaning things up. No?
He became Christian. Well, sort of always was, but became born again. I don't think it affects his music that much apart from refusing to play alongside the satanic supporting bands.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post

He became Christian. Well, sort of always was, but became born again. I don't think it affects his music that much apart from refusing to play alongside the satanic supporting bands.
I know at least one guy in Slayer is actually Catholic and the whole "satan" thing is a joke or branding thing, but if he toured with Slayer, he certainly doesn't mind Satanic type stuff. Don't they sing Satanic songs? I know they have some anti-God/anti-Jesus titles and covers or something.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
They toured together in 1993. They also were part of the a Metallica/Megadeth/Anthrax/Slayer tour in 2010.
Holy crapballs that's a helluva lineup.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I know at least one guy in Slayer is actually Catholic and the whole "satan" thing is a joke or branding thing, but if he toured with Slayer, he certainly doesn't mind Satanic type stuff. Don't they sing Satanic songs? I know they have some anti-God/anti-Jesus titles and covers or something.
Slayer doesn't sing "satanic" songs; they do sing a lot about how religions have some fucked up tenets and get people to do fucked up things. Yes, mostly they focus on Christianity; it's the dominant religion in the society in which they live.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:39 PM

Dave says thank you.