Old 06-19-2019, 01:37 PM

Greatest episodes of television ever

What are your favorite episodes of television ever? Use your own definition for greatness. I will say that generally speaking, for me it's the episodes that are unlike any other episodes in a series that tend to stand out.

Three of mine are from the past year and a half, though I'm sure there are tons more that will come to me if this thread goes anywhere.

Here are my top 3 recent tv episodes, in order of greatness:

1) Atlanta S2E06: Teddy Perkins

Atlanta is a brilliant show; one "greatest episode ever" after another, but Teddy Perkins takes it to a whole new level. So good that the dropoff between this and my next two choices is a vast chasm.

2) Forever S1E06: Andre and Sarah

I didn't see this one coming AT ALL, and for a minute or three I thought amazon had messed up and included an episode from a different show altogether. But it's so compelling from pretty much the first minute that I wouldn't have turned it off even if it were a mistake.

Great show, but truly spectacular episode.

3) Barry S2E05: ronny/lily

Another great show, but this time the episode I'm singling out isn't an unrelated one-off; it's (mostly) a regular episode of the show. Well, okay, it's a little out there for the show's universe, but compared to the other two on my list this is just a normal episode. But it's fan-fucking-tastic.

What are yours? No worries about including links or episode titles if that's a hassle; you can just describe it if you like.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:42 PM

The Young Ones: Bambi.
(I'll link to it later when I'm home if no one else does.)
Old 06-19-2019, 01:46 PM

All in the Family where Sammy Davis Jr. plays himself. Sammy figures out Archie is a bigot so at the end when they are taking a picture Sammy kisses Archie on the cheek as the shot is taken. the whole episode is top notch
Old 06-19-2019, 01:54 PM

The Outer Limits (Original series) -- Demon with a Glass Hand -- possibly my favorite TV science fiction episode ever. Script by Harlan Ellison. Filmed in LA's Bradbury Building (which was also used in Bladerunner and the original D.O.A.). Nicely done, with a cute twist. Starred Robert Culp as Trent.

The Dick van Dyke show -- lots of possibilities here, but I'll go with It May Look like a Walnut, the episode from which our own Twilo of Kolak took his username.

Connections -- and all of James Burke's TV series, really, but the first episode of this first of its kind series , The Trigger Effect, had a big impact on me. Still does.

M.A.S.H. -- Again, a lot of good possibilities, but Life Time was one of the most interesting. The doctors have only thirty minutes to repair a soldier's artery or else he'll be paralyzed from the waist down. To emphasize the time, they had a clock running in the corner of the screen, showing you how much time was left. When the show originally aired, the clock was still running during the commercials (although not seen, of course), so the same amount of real time took place in the episode. Co-authored by long-time series medical advisor Walter Dishell and Alan Alda.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 06-19-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:01 PM

"Tales From the Citadel," marketed as "The Ricklantis Mixup" is amazing. In a half hour, this episode of Rick and Morty tells a coming of age story of four teenagers (ala Stand By Me), a political thriller, a hostage drama, and a police drama - with all the characters being alternate versions of either Rick or Morty. It's amazingly well-done.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:01 PM

After 50 years of watching tv, it's really hard to say For the purposes of this thread, "greatest" for me is going to mean "most surprising, everybody talked about it the next day" and the first thing that sprung to mind is the episode of L.A. Law when Rosalind Shays stepped into the open elevator shaft Nowadays killing of lead characters is de rigueur but back then it made me gasp. So fun!
Old 06-19-2019, 02:02 PM

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Becoming Parts 1 & 2. The Season 2 conclusion of Buffy's junior year in high school and her showdown with Angelus/Angel, her vampire love with the fate of the world at stake.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

I won't put mine in any order, but I think that these deserve attention:

LOST - The Constant - this episode is a "sneak attack" episode. It plays out like a pretty good episode and surprises everyone as it goes with some major developments that are very satisfying.

The Leftovers - International Assassin
- such a great show and this one is absolute top from them.

Firefly - Objects in Space - The final aired episode of Firefly originally and a great way for a show to end its excellent(though way too short) run.

Game of Thrones - Rains of Castamere - Again, a good episode that surprises us with some major developments.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Mary Tyler Moore at Chuckles the Clown's funeral

Link
Old 06-19-2019, 02:40 PM

It's quite dated now, but at the time, City on the Edge of Forever (Star Trek TOS) was amazing.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:41 PM
SD Curator of Critters

The Sopranos, "Pine Barrens." Tough guys Christopher and Paulie Walnuts totally out of their element when they try to whack a Russian mobster in a snowy forest.

Best lines:

Quote:
Tony Soprano: [over the phone] It's a bad connection, so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed!
Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: Get the fuck outta here.
Tony Soprano: Yeah. Nice, huh? He was with the Interior Ministry. Guy's some kind of Russian green beret. This guy can not come back to tell this story. You understand?
Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: I hear you.
[the telephone connection is lost - Tony swears, and Paulie hangs up]
Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: [turning to Christopher] You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator.
Christopher Moltisanti: His house looked like shit.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:49 PM

I will nominate Dr. Who's Blink because it is one of only maybe three Doctor Who episodes I have ever seen and I loved it so it must be something special.

For shows I do watch: Hush from Buffy The Vampire Slayer

The first Locke episode from Lost

Star Trek TNG: The Inner Light

Twilight Zone: Number 12 Looks Just Like You

That's a few off the top of my head.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

The X-Files: Home

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_(The_X-Files)
Old 06-19-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
That is an excellent episode and a notorious one.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Buffy the Vampire Slayer -- "The Body"

Magnum, P.I. -- "Did You See the Sunrise?"

Babylon 5 -- I could not say any single episode, but my favorite moment is a scene in "Ceremonies of Light and Dark", when Londo and Lord Refa have a drink.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:24 PM

So many to choose from! For starters, off the top of my head:

Seinfeld, "The Contest." The four leads have a, you know, "contest" to see how long they can, uhm, "hold out." (It's revealed in the series' finale that George lied to "win" it.)

Dick van Dyke, "That's My Boy?" With guest star Greg Morris, got the series' loudest, longest laugh ever.

Combat!, "The Medal." Guest star Frank Gorshin is eaten up with guilt after being wrongly credited for a dead buddy's act of heroism.

Mission: Impossible, "The Mind of Stefan Miklos." Steve Inhat is a Communist agent with whom the IMF seriously fucks (and fucks over).

Star Trek: TOS, "City on the Edge of Forever," of course. "Balance of Terror" and "The Doomsday Machine" are my other two absolute favorites.

Star Trek: TNG, tie between "The Measure of a Man" and "The Drumhead."

McHale's Navy, "Tiger of the Pacific." Tim Conway does a JFK impression.

Gilligan's Island, "Nyet, Nyet, Not Yet": "That Gilligan is too stupid to be stupid." "Is probably the cleverest one of them all!"

The Wild, Wild West, "The Night of the Big Blackmail." Harvey Korman is a bad guy bent on creating an international scandal over President Grant.

Cheers!, "Coach's Daughter." No matter how many times I see it, the scene between Ernie and Lisa makes me cry.

Last edited by Chronos; 06-19-2019 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Fixed errors
Old 06-19-2019, 03:28 PM

Pine Barrens (Sopranos) and The Body (BtVS) are excellent choices, as is Inner Light (ST:TNG.)
Old 06-19-2019, 03:37 PM

Breaking Bad - Ozymandias
Bojack Horseman - Free Churro (or Time's arrow? hmm..)

Last edited by Snarky_Kong; 06-19-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:37 PM

The Americans is probably my favorite show in recent memory. I'm having trouble deciding between "START", the series finale, and "Harvest". Harvest had some great tense spy drama moments, while START was an incredibly emotional finale.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:39 PM

Futurama - Jurassic Bark.

DS9 - In The Pale Moonlight.

X-Files - Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose.

TOS - The Devil in The Dark.

The Twilight Zone - One for the Angels.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:41 PM

Just thought of one that hasn't been mentioned yet: Dexter season 4 finale. (The season with John Lithgow.)

Probably not "greatest ever" quality, but it was a high water mark for Dexter.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:44 PM

The Simpsons, "The War of the Simpsons." Homer and Marge go on a marriage retreat:

FLANDERS: Maude, God love her, sometimes underlines passages in my Bible instead of hers!

HOMER: (Sotto voce) Hmph! Good thing you don't keep guns in the house!

Last edited by terentii; 06-19-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:49 PM

Are we including Netflix shows?
Black Mirror - "San Junipero" It's pretty well hyped up by now but I didn't know anything about it when I first saw it and man, it was amazing.

Arrested Development - "Pier Pressure" This is probably the most I have laughed at a single episode of any TV sitcom.

Supernatural - "Mystery Spot" Possibly the most I've ever laughed at an hour drama/fantasy/horror/comedy TV show.

Cheers - I'm gonna go with the Pilot episode, "Give me a Ring Sometime." As far as sitcom pilots go, this is the best ever. It's so perfectly constructed, and pretty funny, too.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:58 PM

The Young Ones: Bambi, here it is.
4 college students who share living quarters are selected to appear on the game show University Challenge. Featuring a short musical interlude.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZPZC12t7Yg
Old 06-19-2019, 04:05 PM

House: "Three Stories"

House takes over a diagnostics class for a day and presents the class with three case studies of leg pain. As House tells his story and the class gradually fills up with listeners, the class learns a lot about how to be better doctors, and Chase, Foreman and Cameron learn some important details of House's past.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:19 PM

Yes, I'll say it:

Jonny Quest: The Invisible Monster, followed closely by The Robot Spy.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:38 PM

The Larry Sanders Show S03E07 Office Romance. Larry and Darlene are dating. Guaranteed to screw up office politics well into the next century.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:38 PM

Mary Tyler Moore, "Some of My Best Friends Are Rhodas." A rare "message" episode of the series.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Yes, I'll say it:

Jonny Quest: The Invisible Monster, followed closely by The Robot Spy.
Of course!
Old 06-19-2019, 04:49 PM

Futurama: A Fishful Of Dollars. Mom is introduced, the great gags are non-stop, and the power of compound interest is illustrated.

Frasier: Three Valentines. Funny stuff with classic Niles buffoonery.

The IT Crowd: The Work Outing. Roy at his finest ("I'm disabled!), ably assisted by Moss and Jen.

Sherlock: A Scandal In Belgravia. Classy, sexy, fast-moving and intricate. And John gets to punch Sherlock in the face.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

The Honeymooners: The $99,000 Answer

Taxi: Reverend Jim: A Space Odyssey. I still laugh until I'm in tears.

WKRP in Cincinnati: Turkey Drop

Last edited by Chefguy; 06-19-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:28 PM

Adventure Time: I Remember You. Ice King blithely singing about his own self-sacrifice and mental deterioration while Marceline, knowing the truth and crying, sings along is just heartbreaking.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:32 PM

Breaking Bad: Ozymandias.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
The Honeymooners: The $99,000 Answer
This is what I was going to say. I vividly remember seeing it for the first time when I was a kid, and I wish I could go back to not knowing the ending.

I'll also throw in the Family Guy Star Wars episode, "Blue Harvest". I saw it the first time having never seen FG before, so I didn't get some of the jokes involving their regular characters. But my god, was that a hilarious send-up of Star Wars. They hit every little inconsistency that's bothered everyone about Star Wars since it first came out.

They had me in the very first scene when Peter said, by way of introducing an epic tale, "Let's start with part 4." But I had to actually pause to laugh at Stewie as Darth Vader presiding over a Death Star staff meeting.

Last edited by Llama Llogophile; 06-19-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:11 PM

Metalocalypse: The Doomstar Requiem is by far the best thing that has ever been on television.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Adventure Time: I Remember You. Ice King blithely singing about his own self-sacrifice and mental deterioration while Marceline, knowing the truth and crying, sings along is just heartbreaking.
Absolutely heart wrenching. I love it.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
This is what I was going to say. I vividly remember seeing it for the first time when I was a kid, and I wish I could go back to not knowing the ending.

I'll also throw in the Family Guy Star Wars episode, "Blue Harvest". I saw it the first time having never seen FG before, so I didn't get some of the jokes involving their regular characters. But my god, was that a hilarious send-up of Star Wars. They hit every little inconsistency that's bothered everyone about Star Wars since it first came out.

They had me in the very first scene when Peter said, by way of introducing an epic tale, "Let's start with part 4." But I had to actually pause to laugh at Stewie as Darth Vader presiding over a Death Star staff meeting.
Blue Harvest was great but the robot chicken star wars episodes were way better. Or at least the funny bits were way funnier even if the less funny bits were just meh.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:18 PM

Star Trek (TOS): Amok Time

WKRP in Cincinnati: Turkey Drop

Gunsmoke: Susan was Evil
Old 06-19-2019, 07:19 PM

It's a big topic but I think that in the top 100 there are 20 or 30 seinfelds.

Black Adder would rate. The League of Gentlemen is great. The Kingdom by Lars Von Trier was a masterpiece.

For a single episode of a show, I just saw Black Mirror - "SS Callister." It was monumental. IIRC it's over an hour and a quarter, and is this close to being a great feature on it's own.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

South Park: either Scott Tenorman Must Die (The Fort Collins Pube Fair) or Make Love, Not Warcraft (How can you kill that which has no life?). I can't decide. Special mention for the Imaginationland series.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:42 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Some of you dicks are not including links. Why is that?
Old 06-19-2019, 07:43 PM

While many of these are fine choices (I am haunted by the end of Dexter S4 still...), I'm going to go lighthearted and simple with my favorite episode of my favorite show: Friends - The One With the Embroys... aka "Miss Chanandler Bong."
Old 06-19-2019, 07:51 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Fawlty Towers- Basil the Rat
Old 06-19-2019, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

ER Love's Labor Lost. Mark Greene deals with a minor complaint from a pregnant woman, and things go downhill quickly.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
link
Old 06-19-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Google.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:25 PM

Andy Griffith Mr. McBeevee

and the previously mentioned...

Mary Tyler Moore Chuckles The Clown

Fawlty Towers Basil the Rat
Old 06-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
Google.
IíM A BUSY MAN. I have no time to waste when I want to waste time!
Old 06-19-2019, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

I was trying to think of the best episode of the Fargo series, and came to the conclusion that the entire second season (with Jesse Plemmons, Kirsten Dunst and a brilliant cast) is the answer.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I’M A BUSY MAN. I have no time to waste when I want to waste time!
Got me.

Last edited by Personal; 06-19-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:47 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

The Rockford Files: White on White and Nearly Perfect