Old 06-21-2019, 12:26 PM

Female Action Star Mount Rushmore

Mrs. Cups is playing a game with her co-workers where they're making a female action star Mount Rushmore. The most interesting suggestion was Angelina Jolie because of the Tomb Raider movies. I piped in "That shouldn't count because that was the only real action movie she was in!" but then I thought "I dunno though because my first two thoughts were Linda Hamilton and Sigourney Weaver....but they were really only in one action franchise, too." Kate Beckinsale was mentioned too for her Underworld movies, but even that was a stretch to me.

Regardless, here are my 4....

Linda Hamilton
Sigourney Weaver
-- Even though they were in only a handful of their own movies (Terminator and 3 Alien movies), these two ladies are on my list just because of how iconic they were

Michelle Rodriguez
-- She never really headlined anything, but almost literally every movie she's in is some kind of action or war movie. As the go-to lady for modern action, and her depth of resume, shes on my list.

Milla Jovovich -- A controversial pick, but I'm sticking with it. She's headlines (all?) the Resident Evil movies, was a star in The Fifth Element, and has been in movies such as the new Hellboy and Dodgeball. Again, this is a depth of resume kind of thing.

What say everyone?
Old 06-21-2019, 12:42 PM

Zoe Saldana is an interesting choice.

Would Lucy Lawless count?
Old 06-21-2019, 12:45 PM

Angelina Jolie was also in Wanted, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Gone in 60 Seconds and Salt.

And I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting one or two more.

Last edited by planetcory; 06-21-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Cynthia Rothrock
Old 06-21-2019, 12:57 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
The most interesting suggestion was Angelina Jolie because of the Tomb Raider movies. I piped in "That shouldn't count because that was the only real action movie she was in!"
Not that I'm a huge Jolie fan, but she's starred in a number of other films that might qualify as "action movies":
- Gone in 60 Seconds
- Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
- Mr. and Mrs. Smith
- Salt
- Wanted

Edit: ninja'd by planetcory!

Last edited by kenobi 65; 06-21-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

First one up there should be Michelle Yeoh.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:15 PM
Sith Mod

Scarlett Johansson, surely.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Cynthia Rothrock
Any list of female action stars that doesn't include Cynthia Rothrock is invalid.

For Mt Rushmore I'd include Pam Grier, Sigourney Weaver, and probably Linda Hamilton.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Cynthia Rothrock
Quote:
There's a film called Yes, Madam which they were both in. Good action. It's a Hong Kong movie, but there's a subbed version on the Youtube.

Apart from those two, JeeJa Yanin, star of the all time action classic, Chocolate, and a couple of other things.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:35 PM

Even though she's not actually been a star in any movie Zoe Bell belongs in there. Jennifer Lawrence has starred in multiple action movie franchises.

Last edited by DigitalC; 06-21-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:41 PM

I was very impressed with Emily Blunt in Sicario and Edge of Tomorrow. She's a much better actress than just an "action star."
Old 06-21-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cynthia Rothrock
First name I thought of. Only name I really thought of, actually.

I'd probably say, if I thought about it:

Cynthia Rothrock

Michelle Yeoh

???
Old 06-21-2019, 01:47 PM

Charlize Theron (Mad Max: Fury Road, Atomic Blonde, Hancock, Aeon Flux, The Italian Job) deserves some sort of mention in this thread, particularly for the first two.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:39 PM

Jeez, I've never even HEARD of Cynthia Rothrock, but her resume definitely still fits.

Michelle Yeoh is a good one too that I never thought of
Old 06-21-2019, 02:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Jeez, I've never even HEARD of Cynthia Rothrock...
Imagine if Chuck Norris was female, and talented.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:37 PM

Michelle Yeoh, Cynthia Rothrock, Linda Hamilton and Sigourney Weaver.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:58 PM

Chang Pei Pei
Angela Mao
Kaji Meiko
Milla Jovovich

Possible faces of the future:
Jeeja Vanin
Zhang Ziyi
Old 06-21-2019, 04:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Michelle Yeoh, Cynthia Rothrock, Linda Hamilton and Milla Jovovich.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Any list of female action stars that doesn't include Cynthia Rothrock is invalid.

For Mt Rushmore I'd include Pam Grier, Sigourney Weaver, and probably Linda Hamilton.
Oh my God, yes, Pam Grier! Even middle-aged Pam Grier playing a middle-aged action hero is still a better action hero than at least half the other women named here.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:39 PM

I'd change my name to Rushmore if some of these women would.... well, never mind.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Cynthia Rothrock
Quote:
Came here to make sure these were mentioned. I can leave happy now.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:25 AM

Chloe Grace Moretz. Hit Girl deserves a mountain all her own! Also, Peta Wilson.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:33 AM

Definitely stretching the "action star" idea, but what about someone from days of yore? The early silent film stars like Lillian Gish put themselves through absolute hell. And even some slightly later movies like Gone with the Wind or African Queen were filmed under conditions that would never happen now.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:48 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
Chloe Grace Moretz. Hit Girl deserves a mountain all her own! Also, Peta Wilson.
Yeah, if there's a minor league edition, Hit Girl should be in there.

Also Dafne Keen from Logan. That eight-year-old nailed the fuck out of that role.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
This is what I was going to post.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Cynthia Rothrock
Okay. Never thought I'd be that guy. But, who? Looked through IMDB and I've never seen a single one of those movies.

Put me down for Emily Blunt (Edge of Tomorrow), Uma Therman (Kill Bill) and Charlize Theron (Atomic Blonde).
Old 06-22-2019, 12:03 PM

Add me to the list of people that have never heard of Cynthia Rothrock. Checking her Wikipedia page, it seems she was in a lot of, basically, direct to video movies. I dunno, maybe Tiger Claws 3 really broke new ground, but her CV doesn't seem that impressive to me.

Sigourney Weaver and Linda Hamilton for sure. Probably Charlize Theron too. Fury Road is an all time great action film and Atomic Blonde is pretty fantastic too. Finish it out with Michelle Yeoh.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:31 PM

Wonder Woman + Fast and Furious = Gal Gadot?
Old 06-22-2019, 01:57 PM

Hmmm, we're going to need a reeeeally long Mount(ain Range) Rushmore...

Or multiple ones: "Now on your left, folks, you'll see the Teenage Female Action Star Mount Rushmore, and here's the Asian Badass Mount Rushmore. Please, Mrs. McGillicuddy, if you're going to wear your souvenir cape, keep it inside the motorcoach at all times. We're not going to have time for the Golden Age 'Gals' Mount Rushmore, but on our way home the bus will stop for a few minutes at the Badass Senior Women Mount Rushmore... Can someone please help Mrs. McGillicuddy get unstuck from her window?"

Last edited by digs; 06-22-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:42 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Scarlett Johansson, surely.
I'd put her ahead of anybody else mentioned so far.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Okay. Never thought I'd be that guy. But, who? Looked through IMDB and I've never seen a single one of those movies.
She was primarily active in the 80s and 90s, 100% B-movies or worse. Think Skinemax quality, minus most of the T&A (they looked a lot like cheap skin flicks, but they were actually serious, if extremely low-budget, action movies, as my horny 13-year-old self will attest). If you watched a lot of late-night premium cable in the 80s and 90s like me, you'd instantly recognize her.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Not that I'm a huge Jolie fan, but she's starred in a number of other films that might qualify as "action movies":
- Gone in 60 Seconds
- Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
- Mr. and Mrs. Smith
- Salt
- Wanted

Edit: ninja'd by planetcory!
Yeah, that's a fair few.

Linda Hamilton also had a couple of other roles that might count, Black Moon Rising and Dante's Peak. Possibly also her turn as a former spy in the TV show Chuck.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:06 PM

For a lot of action films with a woman lead, it feels more like the producer wanted to make "an action film with a woman lead" and simply cast some woman to do it. Very few of the women have seemed like they had the innate personality and approach to it that made it seem like they were themselves a real action star. Like, you can throw Orlando Bloom into Troy and Pirates of the Caribbean and all - and by resume you would have to accept that he's an "action star" - but he just really isn't.

Michelle Yeoh is not only the first to pretty well pull it off and inhabit that space, but possibly the only one on the list. (Granted, I haven't seen anything by Cynthia Rothrock). And while it's true that she hasn't had any big hits outside of Hong Kong (except Crouching Tiger), if you watch the films that she starred in with Jacky Chan, she's clearly the co-star not just the eye candy. If you can hold your own as an action icon standing side to side with f'in Jacky Chan, then you are an unstoppable beast. That woman is by and far the clear winner on this list.

The closest person to her would be Lucy Lawless, except that she never made any movies. But if I wanted to expand beyond popcorn films, then she would be the only person up there with Michelle Yeoh.

Gal Gadot was good in Wonder Woman, but I would want to see her in a few more films with different directors before accepting that she's got the right stuff to be an action star.

Chloe Moretz was certainly something in the Kick-Ass movies. If she can keep it up under different directors, I'd certainly give it to her.

(Mother Russia from Kick-Ass 2 deserves a very honorable mention! )

Sigourney Weaver only ever made one movie, Aliens, where she was vaguely actionish and even that was only for one scene and she was in a mecha power suit. Maybe she could have achieved it, I don't know, but I wouldn't carve someone into the side of a mountain because she had one action scene in one movie, in a 40 year career of not being an action star.

Similarly with Linda Hamilton. She looked buff and played the part well in Terminator 2, but I don't know that she ever actually did anything in that movie beyond looking buff and scary. All the action was between Arnie and Robert Patrick. And, outside of that one movie, she overwhelmingly just played love interests. Carrie Fisher did about the same amount of shooting in Star Wars as Hamilton did in T2, and no one considers her to be an action star. The only difference between them is that Fisher was in a dress and was called "princess". Again, this isn't to say that Hamilton couldn't have done some kick ass action films, and lead them successfully, just that we haven't seen it.

Angelina Jolie did decently in all of her films. I liked Mr. and Mrs. Smith and between her and Pitt, I think she does a better action hero. But, none of her films are very memorable. Same for Scarlett Johansson; decent filmography but her solo films don't stand out as being particularly memorable or like she was fundamental to their success. Both of them are better than the combined opus of Mila Jovovich, but I think you need to have excelled not just succeeded in order to get onto the side of a mountain.

Charlize Theron has done really well in a number of action films, but I feel like she's more of a dramatic actor who does serious well enough to be able to play action films. She's more like Tom Hardy than Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
...Very few of the women have seemed like they had the innate personality and approach to it that made it seem like they were themselves a real action star....

Michelle Yeoh is not only the first to pretty well pull it off and inhabit that space, but possibly the only one on the list. (Granted, I haven't seen anything by Cynthia Rothrock). And while it's true that she hasn't had any big hits outside of Hong Kong (except Crouching Tiger)....

These statements are ignorant and WRONG.

https://www.filmcomment.com/blog/war...action-heroes/

Michelle Yeoh has been in several hit U.S. movies since 2000.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000706/?ref_=rvi_nm
Old 06-22-2019, 09:12 PM

I'd probably go with Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johansson, Milla Jovovich, and Linda Hamilton.

Quote:
Michelle Yeoh is not only the first to pretty well pull it off and inhabit that space, but possibly the only one on the list. (Granted, I haven't seen anything by Cynthia Rothrock). And while it's true that she hasn't had any big hits outside of Hong Kong (except Crouching Tiger), if you watch the films that she starred in with Jacky Chan, she's clearly the co-star not just the eye candy. If you can hold your own as an action icon standing side to side with f'in Jacky Chan, then you are an unstoppable beast. That woman is by and far the clear winner on this list.
For context, Jackie Chan wouldn't be on my Mt Rushmore of male action heroes, which would be Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, then a choice of two among Bruce Willis, Tom Cruise, Dwayne Johnson, Vin Diesel and Jason Statham. So I wouldn't look to Jackie's costars for my female Mt Rushmore either.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I'd change my name to Rushmore if some of these women would.... well, never mind.
You should have never minded before you started, because that's in really bad taste.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
For a lot of action films with a woman lead, it feels more like the producer wanted to make "an action film with a woman lead" and simply cast some woman to do it. Very few of the women have seemed like they had the innate personality and approach to it that made it seem like they were themselves a real action star. Like, you can throw Orlando Bloom into Troy and Pirates of the Caribbean and all - and by resume you would have to accept that he's an "action star" - but he just really isn't.

The closest person to her would be Lucy Lawless, except that she never made any movies. But if I wanted to expand beyond popcorn films, then she would be the only person up there with Michelle Yeoh.

Gal Gadot was good in Wonder Woman, but I would want to see her in a few more films with different directors before accepting that she's got the right stuff to be an action star.

Chloe Moretz was certainly something in the Kick-Ass movies. If she can keep it up under different directors, I'd certainly give it to her.

(Mother Russia from Kick-Ass 2 deserves a very honorable mention! )

Sigourney Weaver only ever made one movie, Aliens, where she was vaguely actionish and even that was only for one scene and she was in a mecha power suit. Maybe she could have achieved it, I don't know, but I wouldn't carve someone into the side of a mountain because she had one action scene in one movie, in a 40 year career of not being an action star.

Similarly with Linda Hamilton. She looked buff and played the part well in Terminator 2, but I don't know that she ever actually did anything in that movie beyond looking buff and scary. All the action was between Arnie and Robert Patrick. And, outside of that one movie, she overwhelmingly just played love interests. Carrie Fisher did about the same amount of shooting in Star Wars as Hamilton did in T2, and no one considers her to be an action star. The only difference between them is that Fisher was in a dress and was called "princess". Again, this isn't to say that Hamilton couldn't have done some kick ass action films, and lead them successfully, just that we haven't seen it.

Angelina Jolie did decently in all of her films. I liked Mr. and Mrs. Smith and between her and Pitt, I think she does a better action hero. But, none of her films are very memorable. Same for Scarlett Johansson; decent filmography but her solo films don't stand out as being particularly memorable or like she was fundamental to their success. Both of them are better than the combined opus of Mila Jovovich, but I think you need to have excelled not just succeeded in order to get onto the side of a mountain.

Charlize Theron has done really well in a number of action films, but I feel like she's more of a dramatic actor who does serious well enough to be able to play action films. She's more like Tom Hardy than Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Wow.

Linda Hamilton and Sigourney Weaver both fought off lots of bad guys physically in their major movies. I really don't see how you can watch those movies and not think that. Linda Hamilton, Terminator 1, was the person who killed the Terminator. In T2, she foguht off multiple people breaking out of the asylum, shot at the T1000 many, many times even when severely wounded, and nearly killed him herself. Weaver was the main hero of Alien and Aliens (and Alien 3, which was terrible, but should still count).

It's a real stretch to say they weren't action movie stars.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:49 PM

The problem with female action stars, and why the game is/was so hard, is because it's hard to find women who carried multiple action movies. A lot of people mentioned in this thread suffered from the same problem that I said Jolie suffers. Granted, she's been in action-y type movies, but just because they're in the movie, they don't have much of an action part in them.

Hell, I'll say the same with Weaver and Hamilton, but their parts are so iconic and broke such ground that I want to include them still.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamatotwinkie View Post
charlize theron (mad max: Fury road, atomic blonde, hancock, aeon flux, the italian job) deserves some sort of mention in this thread, particularly for the first two.
thank you
Old 06-22-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I'd probably go with Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johansson, Milla Jovovich, and Linda Hamilton.

For context, Jackie Chan wouldn't be on my Mt Rushmore of male action heroes which would be Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, then a choice of two among Bruce Willis, Tom Cruise, Dwayne Johnson, Vin Diesel and Jason Statham. So I wouldn't look to Jackie's costars for my female Mt Rushmore either.
Re:my bolding: If you've only seen Jackie chan's American releases, then yes. But nobody who has ever seen Police Story or any other of dozens of his hong Kong movies from the 80s and 90s could ever claim this and be credible.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
The problem with female action stars, and why the game is/was so hard, is because it's hard to find women who carried multiple action movies. A lot of people mentioned in this thread suffered from the same problem that I said Jolie suffers. Granted, she's been in action-y type movies, but just because they're in the movie, they don't have much of an action part in them.
Angelina Jolie has headlined multiple different action movies with roles that feature huge action parts.

I agree with your point in general, but Angelina Jolie is 100% an exception to that rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Re:my bolding: If you've only seen Jackie chan's American releases, then yes. But nobody who has ever seen Police Story or any other of dozens of his hong Kong movies from the 80s and 90s could ever claim this and be credible.
The Hong Kong version of Hollywood can / should have its own Mt Rushmore, I would think. Much like the Mt Rushmore of song & dance stars might have a Bollywood version.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 06-22-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Angelina Jolie has headlined multiple different action movies with roles that feature huge action parts.

I agree with your point in general, but Angelina Jolie is 100% an exception to that rule.

The Hong Kong version of Hollywood can / should have its own Mt Rushmore, I would think. Much like the Mt Rushmore of song & dance stars might have a Bollywood version.
Yes. It can and should, and probably their own threads, but only if you limit the other Mt Rushmore to just American releases. But if it's a "best in the world" type thing, Jackie chan stays. Anyway, this should be a separate thread. I'll gladly participate in it, but I might be too lazy to start it.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropo View Post
Michelle Yeoh has been in several hit U.S. movies since 2000.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000706/?ref_=rvi_nm
I'll grant that I didn't double-check, but I'm not seeing anything in the IMDB filmography?

I'm not sure which role she played in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, but I don't believe that it was an action role. (It looks like she was just in the background in a scene.) Crazy Rich Asians wasn't an action role.

Some of her voice acting roles may be as action characters, but that doesn't count.

Possibly she was still doing live action in The Mummy 3, I haven't seen it, but I would imagine that it's fair to say that if an American who only ever saw Hollywood films knows of her, as an action star, it would be from Crouching Tiger.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiSam View Post
Wow.

Linda Hamilton and Sigourney Weaver both fought off lots of bad guys physically in their major movies. I really don't see how you can watch those movies and not think that. Linda Hamilton, Terminator 1, was the person who killed the Terminator. In T2, she foguht off multiple people breaking out of the asylum, shot at the T1000 many, many times even when severely wounded, and nearly killed him herself. Weaver was the main hero of Alien and Aliens (and Alien 3, which was terrible, but should still count).

It's a real stretch to say they weren't action movie stars.
Terminator 1 wasn't an action film, it was a thriller. That was, definitely, Hamilton who won against the machine, but it was also Nick Nolte who defeated Robert De Niro in Cape Fear. Nolte isn't an action star because of Cape Fear and Hamilton isn't an action star because of Terminator 1. In a thriller, the person wins against the bad guy while scared. In an action film, the person wins against the bad guy while smug and confident.

I might be misremembering her level of activity in T2. I think I recall her blowing the T1000's body open with an explosive bullet, now that you say it. I'll grant that that's a lot better than Princess Leia. But I never felt like she was going to be the one to take out the T1000. It had to be Arnie just since he was the one fighting it through all the previous battles in the film.

More importantly, that's still just one film.

Alien was a horror film, not an action film. Alien 3 was horror/drama. Only Aliens was an action film. If we want to make Sigourney an action star over Alien, then we would also need to make Kevin Bacon into an action star for Tremors.

Cape Fear and Tremors are both big blockbuster films. The main character fights and wins over the baddie. I'm not being arbitrary. If we want to be honest about what is and isn't an action star and not hold women to a different standard, then we would either need to exclude Hamilton and Sigourney or include Nolte and Bacon.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 06-23-2019 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:

For context, Jackie Chan wouldn't be on my Mt Rushmore of male action heroes, which would be Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, then a choice of two among Bruce Willis, Tom Cruise, Dwayne Johnson, Vin Diesel and Jason Statham. So I wouldn't look to Jackie's costars for my female Mt Rushmore either.
I'll grant that it's a very different style of action and that, by simple virtue of being half the size of your average Hollywood action hero, Jackie might not hit the spot for many people. Being able to beat up 20 office worker looking guys isn't the same thing as beating up an invisible alien who can bench press 500 pounds and has a nuke in his apartment. I wouldn't agree with you in terms of who does and doesn't go on, but I'll grant that your list is probably a reasonable view of the matter.

But, I think that you would agree, Jackie is an undisputable action star. If you're equal with him, Rushmore worthy or not, you're a legitimate action star.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:40 AM

ctrl+f
"Gina carano"
0/0 results.

That's it. This thread is invalidated. Everybody go home.

For those who still can't place the name, she was the evil henchwoman in Deadpool and has starred in a bunch of action flicks.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:06 AM

Gonna Carano isn't an action star. Not enough but roles. A couple of decent films. More bad films. All small budget. A few times as henchmen.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Angelina Jolie did decently in all of her films. I liked Mr. and Mrs. Smith and between her and Pitt, I think she does a better action hero. But, none of her films are very memorable. Same for Scarlett Johansson; decent filmography but her solo films don't stand out as being particularly memorable or like she was fundamental to their success.
I’d argue the Lara Croft stuff was, pretty much, Angelina Jolie: The Movie.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:31 AM

Hmmm....

I think a definite requirement to be put on Mt Crushmore is a solid library of action roles, definitely more than two or three. Sigourney and Linda H, while excellent in their few outings, don't deserve it any more than Natalie Portman, Chloe Moritz, or others with only a couple of punches in their ass-kickery discount card. Six hole punches required for the free roundhouse kick.

Michelle Yeoh
Charlize Theron
Milla Jovovich

So who gets number 4? I agree with others that Angelina Jolie doesn't feel authentic on the Mountain--she didn't forge her career on action, she seemed more of an opportunist that the studios inserted into action blockbusters to boost the marquee power rather than an action draw on her own merits. Picky semantics? Yep, but roundhouse kicks don't care, and any of the above three will send a villain's jaw convincingly across the border into dislocation county while Angelina will barely draw a flinch.

Lucy Lawless by secret ballot. Done.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB View Post
Hmmm....

I think a definite requirement to be put on Mt Crushmore is a solid library of action roles, definitely more than two or three. Sigourney and Linda H, while excellent in their few outings, don't deserve it any more than Natalie Portman, Chloe Moritz, or others with only a couple of punches in their ass-kickery discount card. Six hole punches required for the free roundhouse kick.

Michelle Yeoh
Charlize Theron
Milla Jovovich

So who gets number 4? I agree with others that Angelina Jolie doesn't feel authentic on the Mountain--she didn't forge her career on action, she seemed more of an opportunist that the studios inserted into action blockbusters to boost the marquee power rather than an action draw on her own merits. Picky semantics? Yep, but roundhouse kicks don't care, and any of the above three will send a villain's jaw convincingly across the border into dislocation county while Angelina will barely draw a flinch.

Lucy Lawless by secret ballot. Done.
Charlize? Based on what? Mad Max, Atomic Blonde and Aeon Flux? Mad Max was great, but Atomic Blonde only did a decent amount at the Box Office and Aeon Flux didn't do jack. Just because they are IN a lot of movies doesn't make them part of Rushmore