Old 11-08-2018, 10:49 AM

Every time I see Ruth Bader Ginsburg's name in the news, I am scared.

She fell and broke 3 ribs and is in the hospital. I hope for a full and speedy recovery. She is 85 but actually in very good health otherwise.

Please don't retire until the next President is sworn in at least. Give us 2 more years and 2 more months.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:41 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Please don't retire until the next President is sworn in at least. Give us 2 more years and 2 more months.
I'm sure that she won't retire during this administration.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:54 AM
BANNED

I don't know whether she still keeps it, but it wasn't THAT long ago that I read about her organized and long-term effort to stay in good physical condition. Whatever the positive effects of such a plan are, she's experiencing them.

Last edited by DavidwithanR; 11-08-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:59 AM

They need to put her on pre-emptive life support!
Old 11-08-2018, 02:13 PM

The trouble is that it will be almost impossible for the Dems to take control of the senate in 2020 so even if they manage to defeat Trump, they will still not be able to appoint supreme court justices.

I expect that the current supreme court will possibly strike down ACA. One more Trump appointee and they could kill medicare, medicaid and even social security.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidwithanR View Post
I don't know whether she still keeps it, but it wasn't THAT long ago that I read about her organized and long-term effort to stay in good physical condition. Whatever the positive effects of such a plan are, she's experiencing them.
My understanding is she was still doing it. I saw something on it recently.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:18 PM

For some reason, I don't think the Founders intended the SCOTUS to be so powerful that people would be scared of them dying.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:26 PM

Broken ribs suck when you are young and healthy. I can't imagine how much they suck when you're over 80.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:01 PM

Are they sure she wasn't pushed? Where was Trump when it happened?
Old 11-08-2018, 07:02 PM

The report I read was that she fell, got up and went to bed. The next morning she didn't feel well so she called the Supreme Court police and asked to be brought to the hospital.

Are you telling me she lives ALONE??? Without any kind of caregiver present. She's not just 85 yo and not in the best of health, but she's a Supreme Court Justice. I don't care how much she protests and tells everyone she's "fine", she should have a 24/7 caregiver nearby.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:23 PM
Nope! I said stop!

Mod Hat On

Not appropriate for this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Are they sure she wasn't pushed? Where was Trump when it happened?
Old 11-08-2018, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
The report I read was that she fell, got up and went to bed. The next morning she didn't feel well so she called the Supreme Court police and asked to be brought to the hospital.

Are you telling me she lives ALONE??? Without any kind of caregiver present. She's not just 85 yo and not in the best of health, but she's a Supreme Court Justice. I don't care how much she protests and tells everyone she's "fine", she should have a 24/7 caregiver nearby.
Mentally competent, able-bodied-for-her-age adult citizen = It's her call. Plus I don't think the Court's budget allows for an appropriation for mandated assisted living for its members.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 11-08-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
Mod Hat On

Not appropriate Ö.

But Hilarious!

I'm still laughing.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
The trouble is that it will be almost impossible for the Dems to take control of the senate in 2020 so even if they manage to defeat Trump, they will still not be able to appoint supreme court justices.
I told my wife that after the next few years with RBG, the younger generations will think "Weekend at Bernie's" was a documentary.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:46 AM

Just imagine if, after all this, itís actually Breyer who exits stage left.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
He has to gives us another 2 years and 2 months too.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
I think that both she and Breyer should scale back their workload in their old age, maybe start a boutique law firm working one or two days a week...and hire Kagan and Sotomayor to run the firm the rest of the week.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:

A lot of people her age utterly refuse to give in to the thought that they're not as capable of taking care of themselves as they were 50 years ago. And it's not like anyone can force her to have a caregiver against her will. She doesn't strike as the type to meekly agree with what other people tell her is "best" for her.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:31 PM

She's home and doing well. She plans to work from home today.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...tal-doing-well
Old 11-09-2018, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Every time I see Ruth Bader Ginsburg's name in the news, I am scared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
I told my wife that after the next few years with RBG, the younger generations will think "Weekend at Bernie's" was a documentary.

Marshall was not looking too mobile by the mid 80s.

But that is true, there is nowhere contemplated for a seat to be vacated due to incapacitation and it would take a XXV-Amendment-style constitutional provision to create the process. And as long as the Justice is mentally alert they can keep at it even if in Stephen Hawking mode.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 11-09-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
A lot of people her age utterly refuse to give in to the thought that they're not as capable of taking care of themselves as they were 50 years ago. And it's not like anyone can force her to have a caregiver against her will. She doesn't strike as the type to meekly agree with what other people tell her is "best" for her.
"
How about what's "best" for the country?

This her third fall (that we know of). It sounds like she is not even wearing one of those "fall monitors" around her neck because no one knew about this latest fall until she called the police the next morning. So how many times has she really fallen? What if she hits her head next time? Do you really think there won't be a next time? She could be on the floor "bleeding out" from a relatively minor head wound because of her stubbornness.

Cost is not an issue. Do you how many hundreds of highly qualified medical personal that would gladly volunteer their time to sit outside her residence in some kind of unobtrusive mobile medical unit?

Maybe her doctor can get through to her.

If she checks out, President Trump is easily going to get Amy Coney Barrett confirmed by the Senate and there will be blood in the streets. Something no sane person wants.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:43 PM

Mangosteen, I honestly do believe they could find dozens of volunteers to be on nearby standby to ensure Ruth Bader Ginsburg would get immediately help when needed. Possibly hundreds willing to do so. Hell, the DNC would probably put up some stipend money for it to help out or it could be crowd-funded.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
"
How about what's "best" for the country?

This her third fall (that we know of). It sounds like she is not even wearing one of those "fall monitors" around her neck because no one knew about this latest fall until she called the police the next morning. So how many times has she really fallen? What if she hits her head next time? Do you really think there won't be a next time? She could be on the floor "bleeding out" from a relatively minor head wound because of her stubbornness.

Cost is not an issue. Do you how many hundreds of highly qualified medical personal that would gladly volunteer their time to sit outside her residence in some kind of unobtrusive mobile medical unit?

Maybe her doctor can get through to her.

If she checks out, President Trump is easily going to get Amy Coney Barrett confirmed by the Senate and there will be blood in the streets. Something no sane person wants.
I'm not denying anything you say, except that, without her consent, there's nothing you can do. If she wants to live alone, and not have someone checking on her on an hourly basis, that's her right. If her doctor or family can convince her otherwise, great. If they can't, there really is nothing to be done.