Old 11-08-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
I think it would be most excellent if the entire press corps just stood there and looked at the press secretary reprovingly with a silence that you could not even cut with a knife.

(Not Sanders, so much, since she was rumbling about being not in there soon.)
Maybe they could use the time to work on their fruit ninja scores.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I can't see how this would accomplish anything. First, I'm sure they'd be happy to just do away with press briefings at all. Second, so, what, you're just left with administration-friendly media there lobbing softballs and reporting on it? What purpose does that serve? I'm sure this administration and its followers would just love it if the mainstream press said "screw this, I'm going home."
C'mon. Even FOX would lead with the video of it.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 11-08-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Every single reporter for every single presser from now until Hell is no longer frozen over (it froze over when Trump became president) should ask the exact same questions that Acosta was asking until either (a) they all get barred or (b) they get an actual answer from the ruddy rump.
The White House press corps should learn a lesson from the journalists in the Netherlands. The idiot Trump appointed to be the ambassador had claimed that there were no-go Muslims controlled zones in some cities and that politicians had been burned alive.

US ambassador's awkward press conference

President Donald Trump's new US Ambassador to the Netherlands held his first press conference with Dutch media at The Hague on Wednesday, and it was awkward.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/201...k-lon-orig.cnn

This is what our press should do. It would actually be funny, except this guy is an example of who Trump wants in our government.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:18 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
The White House press corps should learn a lesson from the journalists in the Netherlands. The idiot Trump appointed to be the ambassador had claimed that there were no-go Muslims controlled zones in some cities and that politicians had been burned alive.

President Donald Trump's new US Ambassador to the Netherlands held his first press conference with Dutch media at The Hague on Wednesday, and it was awkward.

This is what our press should do. It would actually be funny, except this guy is an example of who Trump wants in our government.
This was last January. It was a little unclear to me. The quote from the original story says Wednesday.

I think the press has begun to treat politicians who routinely lie with less respect. I am all for this. Trump deserves no respect. He acts like an asshole, he gets treated like an asshole. However, the 40% of Americans who blindly believe people like him, don't see it that way. We really could use some more Mueller indictments. Now.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:

From this thread, almost a year ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
Do ambassadors count as administration? Already posted this link in Elections. Pete Hoekstra embarrassing himself and the US on Dutch news: https://twitter.com/trbrtc/status/943991312570822656
Do try and keep up.

Spoiler: he fires Sessions.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:54 PM

I know it's old. I think I posted somewhere here at the time. I didn't want to alter the headline.

I posted it as an example of how I'd like to see our press act.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke is exploring job opportunities with Fox News.

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2...mpression=true
Old 11-08-2018, 07:29 PM

Remember when Keith Olbermann was suspended from MSNBC for contributing to Democratic candidates and that was evidence of bias. Now, in Republican circles there is a direct line from the administration to Foxnews and back again. With the pundits appearing with the candidates at political rallies.

But, yeah, tell me again how Foxnews and MSNBC are opposite but equal entities.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:36 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke is exploring job opportunities with Fox News.

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2...mpression=true

He's exploring opportunity with Fox News? Odd; I thought he was leaving the Trump administration.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I can't see how this would accomplish anything. First, I'm sure they'd be happy to just do away with press briefings at all. Second, so, what, you're just left with administration-friendly media there lobbing softballs and reporting on it? What purpose does that serve? I'm sure this administration and its followers would just love it if the mainstream press said "screw this, I'm going home."
^This.

All the suggestions about what "the press corps" should do (walk out; turn their backs; stare in silence, etc.) ignore the reality that at Trump White House briefings, half or so of "the press corps" are ardent Trump supporters.

So it's more productive to discuss options that could be taken by the other half who are genuine journalists. I'm liking the "ask the same question that Trump just refused to answer from another reporter" idea. Also, fact-checking Trump: when Trump gives one reporter a lie as an answer, the next one up should be ready to refute the lie with some good sources. (Are they allowed to have any kind of Internet access in there? Or are their phones locked up somewhere?)

Anyway, the further reality shouldn't be forgotten: even those who are actual journalists and thus interested in holding Trump accountable, are also interested in the fortunes of their own employers (not to mention their own careers). Full coordination in holding Trump's or SHS's feet to the fire, however much we might like to see it, is probably unlikely.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:59 PM

Why is it that conservatives are so good at creating little verbal gems like "fake news" or "death panels" that resonate with voters? The fake news phrase has now even spread to foreign dictators.

Palin and Trump appear to be clueless about policy issues, history, technology, or much of anything else, but they seem to find things that their followers can relate to.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Full coordination in holding Trump's or SHS's feet to the fire, however much we might like to see it, is probably unlikely.
Unfortunately, I believe you are right. But damn, I would love to see somebody ask SHS about the doctored video.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batano View Post
Why is it that conservatives are so good at creating little verbal gems like "fake news" or "death panels" that resonate with voters? The fake news phrase has now even spread to foreign dictators.

Palin and Trump appear to be clueless about policy issues, history, technology, or much of anything else, but they seem to find things that their followers can relate to.
Simple. Their followers are morons just like they are. They speak the same language.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:

It's the "mean girl" gene. Either you are born with it or you're not.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:39 PM

Was it a right winger who came up with "fake news"? The way I remember it, the term was coined for the crap that Russia was flooding social media with to influence the election. Trump just co-opted it to mean "news I don't like".
Old 11-08-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
Nah, that won't work. They hate having the press briefings anyway, which is why the "daily briefing" only happens once every three weeks or so. It doesn't punish them to stay away from a party they don't want you to be at in the first place.

They should send just one guy, so that there's no one else to call on. And to piss them off, it should be Randy Rainbow.
I propose that we make that one journalist Gilbert Gottfried.
"Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.[...]. Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture."
Old 11-08-2018, 10:20 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
Was it a right winger who came up with "fake news"? The way I remember it, the term was coined for the crap that Russia was flooding social media with to influence the election. Trump just co-opted it to mean "news I don't like".
According to this, the term was first used in that sense by First Draft, "a project of the Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy at Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:30 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

It certainly SOUNDS like a trick of dastardly Harvard Men.

— Uke, Yale ‘82

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 11-08-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:59 AM

Germany has a very similar term, "Lügenpresse". Go ahead, take a wild guess where it comes from.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:02 AM

Yale?
Old 11-09-2018, 03:06 PM

Wall Street Journal report on Trump's personal involvement in the hush money to Stormy Daniels and the National Enquirer coverup.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-...gal-1541786601
Old 11-09-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I propose that we make that one journalist Gilbert Gottfried.
Is he one of them Aristocrats?
Old 11-09-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Food for thought:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_..._rise_to_power

The Enabling Act of 1933 allowed Hitler and his Cabinet to rule by emergency decree for four years, though Hindenburg remained President.[85] Hitler immediately set about abolishing the powers of the states and the existence of non-Nazi political parties and organisations. Non-Nazi parties were formally outlawed on 14 July 1933, and the Reichstag abdicated its democratic responsibilities.[86] Hindenburg remained commander-in-chief of the military and retained the power to negotiate foreign treaties.

The Act did not infringe upon the powers of the President, and Hitler would not fully achieve full dictatorial power until after the death of Hindenburg in August 1934.[87] Journalists and diplomats wondered whether Hitler could appoint himself President, who might succeed him as Chancellor, and what the army would do. Hitler combined the two positions, so that all governmental power lay in his hands. All soldiers took the Hitler Oath on the day of Hindenburg's death, swearing "unconditional obedience" to Hitler.[88]
Trump is dangerous, but he's not a 'killer'. Murdering people isn't his game. He doesn't want to rule the world because he actually believes he can remake the world in his image. In fact, I suspect he sometimes wonders how the hell he got here. He ran for president because he's a snake oils salesman who likes to see and hear his name every waking minute of every day. He also enjoys being a fake billionaire and his fake billionaire lifestyle. He's dangerous because somewhere along the way to being president, his family and friends committed crimes and he tried to cover it up, and now he's looking at jail time. He'll do anything to survive, even if it means destroying the country's political and legal norms. But all of that being said, Trump isn't a killer.

The killers are the Christian warriors, and they're in abundance.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:43 PM

Trump loyalist Matthew Whittaker was counseling White House on investigating Clinton

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/pol...torney-general

I thought Trump said today that he doesn't know this guy.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:08 PM

‘The guardrails are off’: Trump takes aggressive moves he resisted before elections
https://wapo.st/2qyOKOQ
Quote:
Following this week’s midterm elections, President Trump ousted his attorney general, seized control of the Russia investigation for a partisan loyalist and suspended the credentials for a journalist he deemed too adversarial.

And that was just the first 24 hours.

After voters delivered a mixed verdict in the first national referendum of his presidency, Trump has been unbound, claiming more of a popular mandate than exists — “very close to a complete victory,” as he put it Wednesday — and moving swiftly to press some of the buttons he had previously resisted pressing.

“All of the guardrails are off and the rule of law is under an unprecedented threat,” said Joyce White Vance, who served as a U.S. attorney in Alabama during the Obama administration....
I was going to post this, but WaPo said it well. If you thought he was out of control before, you ain't seen nuttin' yet.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:11 PM

I may have to break down and subscribe to the Washington Post. On the other hand, just excerpts from their articles posted here at the Dope can make me crazy, so why pay for even more torture?
Old 11-09-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripthicket View Post
I may have to break down and subscribe to the Washington Post. On the other hand, just excerpts from their articles posted here at the Dope can make me crazy, so why pay for even more torture?
To support them and their journalism. Ink costs money.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
To support them and their journalism. Ink costs money.
Y'know, THAT'S a good reason: support. <subscribes>
Old 11-09-2018, 10:28 PM

Drain the Swamp - and refill it with fresh swamp water

Guess I should have seen it coming: due to Trump's innate inability to vet any of his appointees for anything other than whether they say nice things about him, the Whittaker appointment is rapidly turning into Scaramucci II, with a side of Trump University Redux.

Yeah, most of the time the spectacular incompetence of the current White House is a cause for weeping, but that's leavened by occasional bursts of hilarity like the above.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Guess I should have seen it coming: due to Trump's innate inability to vet any of his appointees for anything other than whether they say nice things about him, the Whittaker appointment is rapidly turning into Scaramucci II, with a side of Trump University Redux.

Yeah, most of the time the spectacular incompetence of the current White House is a cause for weeping, but that's leavened by occasional bursts of hilarity like the above.
It's only funny until he gets confirmed. Of course the Senate is going to confirm him as the official AG.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
It's only funny until he gets confirmed. Of course the Senate is going to confirm him as the official AG.
I disagree. IMHO, Whittaker is burnt toast, but we'll see what's what pretty directly.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:04 PM

Matthew Whitaker believes that states have the right to nullify federal law.
http://www.weny.com/story/39456613/w...fy-federal-law
Old 11-09-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
I guess they can always secede and find out how that goes...
Old 11-10-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post

Did I miss some news? What is in his closet?
Old 11-10-2018, 12:08 AM

Well, there's this:
Quote:
Before coming to the Justice Department in 2017, Whitaker was president and executive director of the Foundation for Accountability and Civic Trust, a charitable organization that styles itself as nonpartisan government watchdog promoting ethics and transparency. The tax-exempt group — known by its initials, FACT — is supposed to serve the public interest under Section 501c3 of the U.S. tax code, without directly or even indirectly supporting or opposing specific candidates for office.

Yet the group has engaged in one partisan pronouncement after another, mostly directed at Democrats. During the last presidential race, Whitaker argued in July 2016 newspaper opinion pieces that Clinton should be prosecuted for her handling of her private email server — a favorite talking point of Donald Trump. The opinion pieces identified Whitaker as FACT’s leader.
Quote:
Daniel Borochoff, president of CharityWatch, a Chicago-based group that monitors the nonprofit world, said that statement appears to violate the IRS ban on engagement for or against a particular political candidate. “It’s highly critical of a candidate, and he ought not to be doing that, because it’s a political partisan comment,” he said.
Quote:
FACT was founded in 2015, tax filings show. Whitaker drew a sizable portion of its budget as his salary as president and executive director — in 2016 he earned more than twice what leaders of similar groups were paid on average that year, according to data from another watchdog group, Charity Navigator.

In 2015 and 2016, Whitaker earned a total of $654,000 from FACT — 30 percent of its entire spending of $2.2 million over that two-year span. His 2016 salary was $402,000; the average CEO or executive director at 380 advocacy or education charities in that year made a salary of $173,099, according to Matthew J. Viola, a vice president at Charity Navigator.
TL; DR - Whitaker seems to have run a sham non-profit so he could rake in donor money and escape taxes on it.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 11-10-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
On the plus side, we've got the green light to nullify the 2nd amendment. Let's get gun-grabbin'!

Last edited by Smapti; 11-10-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:55 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Trump loyalist Matthew Whittaker was counseling White House on investigating Clinton

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/pol...torney-general

I thought Trump said today that he doesn't know this guy.
That's this month. Last month he said he knew the guy. Really.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:55 AM

A recent article in Rolling Stone almost deserves its own Pit thread. CFSG is installing decent, upstanding Christians in important positions in the Department of Health and Human Services. Those good people who have a much better handle on how you should be behaving than you do. It begins by talking about an official making inquiries to a doctor about what would happen if a woman had taken an abortifacient and failed to take the second dose in the prescribed time (which was totally not about a person in custody at the border – I mean totally).

I got through a dozen paragraphs of the article before I decided I wanted to keep the dinner I just ate. It is that disgusting.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
And he's the best guy. Because I've got the best people, the best. I'm very good at people! And this guy and me, we're close, we're so close, you wouldn't believe it. You wouldn't believe how close we are.

Have Vanity Fair and Rolling Stone ever been so... political? I remember the occasional politics-related article on the cover of the Spanish edition of RS, but it's usually something that's got some relationship with music and the arts (interview with Minister for Culture, Education and the Arts, for example), and not along the lines of "this guy is a clown". We've had our share of clowns (with my apologies to circus workers) and they didn't make the cover of RS.

Last edited by Nava; 11-10-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Either his dementia is progressing rapidly, or he's just so unaware of what a bad liar he is that he thinks he can get away with claiming he doesn't know the man he just (illegally) picked to run the DOJ.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:54 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Either his dementia is progressing rapidly, or he's just so unaware of what a bad liar he is that he thinks he can get away with claiming he doesn't know the man he just (illegally) picked to run the DOJ.

All evidence thus far is he can lie like a rug and he suffers no actual consequences.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
‘The guardrails are off’: Trump takes aggressive moves he resisted before elections
https://wapo.st/2qyOKOQ

I was going to post this, but WaPo said it well. If you thought he was out of control before, you ain't seen nuttin' yet.
Here's more information about our new acting AG -- Christ, you know it's bad when the Washington Examiner is refusing to play propagandist on this one.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...torney-general

Quote:
Prior to his gig in the Trump administration, Whitaker was a member of the advisory board of World Patent Marketing, a Florida company that got the corporate equivalent of a death sentence from a federal judge for ripping off customers. In May 2018 Judge Darrin Gayles shut down the company, ordered it to pay a fine of about $26 million, and blocked defendants from future participation in any "invention promotion service" following a complaint by the Federal Trade Commission.
And then there's this from Vox:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...torney-general

Quote:
Matthew Whitaker, whom President Donald Trump named as his acting attorney general on Wednesday, privately provided advice to the president last year on how the White House might be able to pressure the Justice Department to investigate the president’s political adversaries, Vox has learned.
Whitaker is a political hack acting as the nation's top lawyer. He's even worse than Robert Bork.

The rule of law as we know it as in serious danger right now.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
A recent article in Rolling Stone almost deserves its own Pit thread. CFSG is installing decent, upstanding Christians in important positions in the Department of Health and Human Services. Those good people who have a much better handle on how you should be behaving than you do. It begins by talking about an official making inquiries to a doctor about what would happen if a woman had taken an abortifacient and failed to take the second dose in the prescribed time (which was totally not about a person in custody at the border – I mean totally).

I got through a dozen paragraphs of the article before I decided I wanted to keep the dinner I just ate. It is that disgusting.
I'll repeat what I said: it's the Christian warriors we should fear. Donald Trump is aligning his administration with hardcore Christian fanatics. He is giving religious zealots unprecedented access to power, because it suits them and it suits him. They get unprecedented access to power, and because of that, they will go to extraordinary lengths to protect him. They don't give a god damn about the Constitution or the rule of law. He's going to load the government with Christian nutters. Imagine what happens when he starts front-loading our military with zealot generals.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
And he's the best guy. Because I've got the best people, the best. I'm very good at people! And this guy and me, we're close, we're so close, you wouldn't believe it. You wouldn't believe how close we are.

Have Vanity Fair and Rolling Stone ever been so... political? I remember the occasional politics-related article on the cover of the Spanish edition of RS, but it's usually something that's got some relationship with music and the arts (interview with Minister for Culture, Education and the Arts, for example), and not along the lines of "this guy is a clown". We've had our share of clowns (with my apologies to circus workers) and they didn't make the cover of RS.
Can't speak for VF, but much of Rolling Stone's early reputation was made on on political content, particularly the immortal Hunter S. Thompson's dispatches during the '72 Presidential campaign. See Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Did I miss some news? What is in his closet?
Well, mainly the World Patent Marketing thing mentioned by another poster, although the (apparent) FACT non-profit scam seems to be a contender as well. As I understand it, Whittaker has been appointed in part to oversee an agency (the FBI) that is currently investigating a company that the Justice Department's new boss was deeply involved with. Even for Trump's merry band of reprobates, that's a bit much. Guess we'll see if Whittaker ever even makes it to a confirmation hearing.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 11-10-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:16 AM

Quick GQ question:

Has the white house come forward with an official explanation as to why Sessions was fired? I mean its obvious that it was about the Mueller investigation, but I'm curious what the official word is (if any). When a reporter asked this directly, she was lambasted by the president for asking a stupid questions (which was distracting enough that in the process he forgot to answer it) but they can't avoid the obvious question forever.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 11-10-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Or he understands his base. Lying to them is like lying to your dog. They'll believe anything he says even if what he says today contradicts what he said yesterday.

Trump's problem is he doesn't grasp what people outside his base are thinking. He goes to a rally and thousands of people are cheering for him; he then mistakenly believes that they represent the nation as a whole.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Have Vanity Fair and Rolling Stone ever been so... political?
You should see what Teen Vogue is publishing these days!
Old 11-10-2018, 10:18 AM

How is it supposed to be better than Trump didn't know Whitaker?

Either he knew him and knowingly got somebody who ended up being more obviously crooked than a $3 bill.

Or as claimed,

For a high ranking position in the administration, albeit presumably (yeah, right) a temporary posting, he allowed/picked/hired somebody he didn't know and didn't properly vet.

Who does that? Especially a self proclaimed business genius? How is this supposed to be so much better that it works as an excuse? Even the manager of a Dairy Queen knows better than to hire somebody they don't know and haven't vetted at all for a position of authority/responsibility.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Whitaker is a political hack acting as the nation's top lawyer. He's even worse than Robert Bork.
Yet history will be kinder to him just because 'Whitakered' does not roll off the tongue like 'Borked'...