Old 02-10-2018, 12:41 PM

She wouldn't let Candidate Annelid touch her. Smart woman.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
She wouldn't let Candidate Annelid touch her. Smart woman.
The earthworms will be picketing your house on Monday.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
REALLY ?? By all accounts? Where do you come up with this stuff? .......checks to make sure this is the pit thread.....this is BY ALL ACCOUNTS the stupidest thing I’ve ever read on this board, surpassing another one of your classics. Do you even think before you write crap like this?

By the accounts I’ve read, Vladimir Putin is a murderous and corrupt gangster running a criminal enterprise that has nuclear weapons. He has business owners tortured and killed in order to steal their assets, and is backed up with paperwork issued by a totally corrupt legal system that answers to him. This is the crux of the Magnitsky Act. He’s been known to poison foreign business executives. He imprisons, tortures and kills his political opponents and journalists that speak out against him.

Now, I know that you and your ilk have a hard-on for him because he foments hate for minorities and persecutes gay people. Plus he had Pussy Riot attacked by bull-whipped wielding Cossacks. So conservatives are all in love with this democracy hating asshole.

And because he’s such s major league bully that actually completely destroys then kills everyone that opposes him, Trump has a schoolgirl crush on him. ( “Maybe he’ll give me a present” ). And Putin knows this and spent a long time playing hard to get.

And Putin’s just playing with him ( and the rest of the world). And Trump is still desperate for his attention. It’s so ridiculous, they’re both like comic book villains.

And for those that still doubt that Putin, at heart, is a common criminal— remember that he literally stole a Super Bowl ring from NE Pats owner Robert Kraft.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/h...-robert-kraft/

Or are you going to defend Putin?
IMO, the lesson to be learned from this type of post is about the danger of surrounding yourself with likeminded people and getting information from ideologically-conforming sources. Because of the uniformity of belief and the dearth of counterpoints, things can seem obviously true when they're not remotely so.

This is perhaps an extreme example, of a poster confidently declaring something to be the stupidest thing she ever read on the board when it's well known to be true to anyone even minimally informed about the subject. But the phenomenon has broader application, IMO, and could influence even intelligent posters, albeit in a subtler manner.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
IMO, the lesson to be learned from this type of post is about the danger of surrounding yourself with likeminded people and getting information from ideologically-conforming sources.
I suppose once you've committed to a certain form of cognitive dissonance, the point of view needs more frequent refresh.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

No need for self-reference. Nobody here doubts your commitment.

Last edited by Vinyl Turnip; 02-12-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Alright, a spokesman for the group - that's what we need!

A step in right direction if ever there was one....
Old 02-12-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Pfff...what you and others don't want to bring yourselves to admit, don't want to understand, is that every single day that Trump is in office, every day that he and his allies remain in power, is a day that they are wearing down the good, civic-minded bureaucrats. This is not what Rachel Brand signed up for. I'm guessing that this government is not what many of the career bureaucrats signed up for -- but this is what they've got at least until January of 2021. A change of Congress - if it even happens and that's an entirely different thread of discussion -- won't change that. Trump and his billionaire plutocratic alliance is making the bureaucracy an uncomfortable place for people who actually care about preserving institutions for the public. This is an irreversible trend.
If its an irreversible trend, why should I bother voting in the next election. Stupidity, bigotry and ignorance are going to win the day, so I might as well stay home with my playstation until the jack booted thugs come and take me away, or better yet join Trump so that I'll be on the winning side when the purge comes.

Is this the message you're trying to get across? Because it's the message I'm hearing.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 02-12-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenJammin View Post
Alright, a spokesman for the group - that's what we need!

A step in right direction if ever there was one....
Well, OK, long as its just the one.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
To be fair, sometimes I doubt his commitment to Sparkle Motion.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
If its an irreversible trend, why should I bother voting in the next election. Stupidity, bigotry and ignorance are going to win the day, so I might as well stay home with my playstation until the jack booted thugs come and take me away, or better yet join Trump so that I'll be on the winning side when the purge comes.

Is this the message you're trying to get across? Because it's the message I'm hearing.
I'm not telling you to do anything. By all means, go out and vote and be politically active - I certainly intend to do that. But just understand that we're at the point where it might require more than just voting to preserve and defend democracy. For far too long, most of us have taken a lot of things in this country for granted. The public institutions that have made our society unquestionably better in the past 100 or more years were the result of political activism and spirited public protests to demand more people power. I'm optimistic that, at some point, we will have finally had enough, but I'm pessimistic in that there is going to be considerable damage done by the time we put a stop to all the madness. So in the short-term, the damage is done and it's irreversible. Nevertheless, we have to vote and be active now to stop even more damage in the long run.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:43 PM

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-...tweets-n844731
Twitter deleted 200,000 Russian troll tweets

Quote:
These accounts, working in concert as part of large networks, pushed hundreds of thousands of inflammatory tweets, from fictitious tales of Democrats practicing witchcraft to hardline posts from users masquerading as Black Lives Matter activists. Investigators have traced the accounts to a Kremlin-linked propaganda outfit founded in 2013 known as the Internet Research Association (IRA). The organization has been assessed by the U.S. Intelligence Community to be part of a Russian state-run effort to influence the outcome of the 2016 U.S. presidential race. And they're not done.
That last phrase is the really scary part.

I wonder if Facebook, YouTube and other social media have a handle on Russian troll activity going through their platforms.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBucky View Post

I wonder if Facebook, YouTube and other social media have a handle on Russian troll activity going through their platforms.
I kinda wish they wouldn't delete them - but would instead flag them in a way that makes it easy to find.

Tracking this 'thru' the system would be much more interesting then just pretending (thru deletion) that it didnt happen - as now there will be no way to see it in context.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:07 PM

nm -wrong thread.

Last edited by begbert2; 02-14-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I wonder if the bigger problem isn't the bots.

Couldn't Twitter badly cripple the bot problem by eliminating their API and perhaps their web client? Wouldn't an App only service should be hard or impossible to automate?

A hit to their business but a plus to their reputation.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Steve Bannon met with Mueller multiple times in the past week.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:07 PM

And refused to answer any questions that weren't literally scripted by the White House.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

No, that was in the House hearings today. Not the Mueller investigation (he could have spent all 20 hours with Mueller's team saying he won't respond, but that's not being reported.)
Old 02-15-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
No, that was in the House hearings today. Not the Mueller investigation (he could have spent all 20 hours with Mueller's team saying he won't respond, but that's not being reported.)
Ah. Two different interviews. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Gates close to plea deal with Mueller, sources say.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Hmmm.

Quite a witch hunt that can get innocent people to enter pleas to crimes they didn't commit.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:45 PM

Yeah, some fake news that is...
Old 02-16-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Hmmm.

Quite a witch hunt that can get innocent people to enter pleas to crimes they didn't commit.
Technically it's still qualifies as a witch hunt if you actually find real witches.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Technically it's still qualifies as a witch hunt if you actually find real witches.
"It's a fair cop." Said by nobody in this administration.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

"It's all Obama's fault", have said quite a few, however.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:27 AM

and Muslim Kenyan = witch. Vindicated!
Old 02-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

But Hillary!
Old 02-16-2018, 09:41 AM

definitely a witch.

Oh. Wait.

Nevermind...wrong hunt.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:22 AM

She turned me into Newt Gingrich!

I got better.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:

I got better.
nope - there's no coming back from that.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:

I can't wait for "the right" to start screaming about freedom of speech.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:

I got better.
rofl
Old 02-16-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
I can't wait for "the right" to start screaming about freedom of speech.
I more expect them to claim 'it never happened' since no one can (now) point to the tweets themselves.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Holy shit, new indictments... 13 of them, all involving election interference by Russians.

"NEWS: Special Counsel Mueller/Grand Jury have indicted 13 Russian nationals and 3 Russian entities for interfering in the US Elections.

Indictment here: https://t.co/m75xliP2rA "

Link goes to PDF.

Last edited by JohnT; 02-16-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Holy shit, new indictments... 13 of them, all involving election interference by Russians.

"NEWS: Special Counsel Mueller/Grand Jury have indicted 13 Russian nationals and 3 Russian entities for interfering in the US Elections.

Link goes to PDF.

Well that’s a lot to wade through.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Link goes to PDF.
Now he should start squeezing them. Maybe threaten them with GITMO or "rendition" for espionage maybe?

I bet Trumpty Dumpty is having a fit.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
I more expect them to claim 'it never happened' since no one can (now) point to the tweets themselves.
Nothing on the internet ever REALLY goes away. Shit gets copied and archived somewhere.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:36 PM

The AP story:
Quote:
Thirteen Russians and three Russian entities were charged Friday with an elaborate plot to interfere in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, federal prosecutors announced Friday.

The indictment , brought by the office of special counsel Robert Mueller, alleges that Russians used bogus social media postings and advertisements fraudulently purchased in the name of Americans to sway political opinion during the race between Republican Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, his Democratic opponent.

The charges are the most direct allegation to date of illegal Russian meddling in the election.

The goal, the indictment says, was to “sow discord in the U.S. political system, including the 2016 presidential election.”

Charges include conspiracy, wire fraud, bank fraud and aggravated identity theft.
Oh, and:
Quote:
The White House had no immediate response to the indictment.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-16-2018 at 01:37 PM. Reason: fixed coding
Old 02-16-2018, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

No allegations of collusion or conspiracy with any campaign staff, according to the Bloomberg article. Contacts in the Trump campaign are specified as "unwitting."
Old 02-16-2018, 01:48 PM

To the extent that there's any implications at all for the Trump team, it's probably a positive one. Because the more people Mueller indicts, the less pressure he would feel to justify his investigation by making dubious indictments.

But that's a very minimal impact, if any. Based on everything I've read about Mueller, he's a man of the highest integrity, and wouldn't be swayed by that kind of pressure anyway.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
Contacts in the Trump campaign are specified as "unwitting."
Indeed.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
To the extent that there's any implications at all for the Trump team, it's probably a positive one. Because the more people Mueller indicts, the less pressure he would feel to justify his investigation by making dubious indictments.
The more criminals he finds, the less chance Trump is a criminal? That's the new argument? Good job with the backhanded attempt to discredit Mueller, though. Nunes would do well to take note.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Saw a couple of interesting takes on this:

1. Indicting Russians makes it harder to (ever) fire Mueller or shut down his investigation.

2. Indictment of Russians also undercuts Trump's ability to pardon his way out of this. Politically hard to pardon Russians....

https://t.co/5nOjC3ssGl
Old 02-16-2018, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
The more criminals he finds, the less chance Trump is a criminal? That's the new argument? Good job with the backhanded attempt to discredit Mueller, though. Nunes would do well to take note.
Phippers gotta Phipp.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
If you don't understand things, you can always refrain from commenting.

Though it's possible that would be too big of a constraint for you ...
Old 02-16-2018, 02:15 PM

Some unwitting folks happen to be named Donald Trump Jr:

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images...pg?w=800&h=220
Old 02-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

But that's a very minimal impact, if any. Based on everything I've read about Mueller, he's a man of the highest integrity, and wouldn't be swayed by that kind of pressure anyway.
Know how one can tell this is great news for Trump? Because he tweeted this about 10 minutes after the news broke:

"Russia talk is FAKE NEWS put out by the Dems, and played up by the media, in order to mask the big election defeat and the illegal leaks!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...16511944523777
Old 02-16-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Know how one can tell this is great news for Trump? Because he tweeted this about 10 minutes after the news broke:

"Russia talk is FAKE NEWS put out by the Dems, and played up by the media, in order to mask the big election defeat and the illegal leaks!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...16511944523777
That tweet is from last year...
Old 02-16-2018, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

3 things about Trump's tweet above:

1. This isn't news, it's indictments. Nothing fake about them.
2. I'm pretty sure the world knows Hillary lost the election.
3. Interesting that there no leaks that these indictments were coming.

3 lies in 140 characters. Good job, Trump!
Old 02-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
That tweet is from last year...
Goddamn it. Sorry about that.

Last edited by JohnT; 02-16-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
No allegations of collusion or conspiracy with any campaign staff, according to the Bloomberg article. Contacts in the Trump campaign are specified as "unwitting."
I highly doubt they were all unwitting.