Old 03-12-2019, 06:30 PM

Star Trek DS9 Documentary

https://deadline.com/2019/03/star-tr...202574537/amp/

I am so excited for this. DS9 is my favorite Trek.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:53 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Dunno what they mean by "multiple platforms," but if the term includes DVD/BluRay I can guarantee they have at least one sale.

(Not one of the greatest disappointments of my life, but while the show was still in production I won a contest that included a trip to LA and a day on the set. Then my daughter, who was going to go with me, got violently ill in the middle of the night before the tour. I still blame the Pah-Wraiths.)
Old 03-12-2019, 06:59 PM

DS9's my favorite, too. Count me in.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:35 PM

I’m definitely going to watch, and also agree that DS9 was the best Trek series. IMHO even the recurring characters like Rom, Garak, Weyoun, and Vic Fontaine are more memorable than some of the main characters in some of the other Trek series.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:43 PM

Did any of you all recognize any of the cast in the photo in that link? I think Armin Shimerman is peaking between the two tall guys in the middle part of the front row. Is the woman at the far right with the white hair Nana Visitor? I don’t recognize any of the other people in the photo, are there any that I missed?

ETA. I think the man behind Armin Shimerman might be Rene Auberjonois even though it’s hard to tell because only a small part of his face is visible.

Last edited by FlikTheBlue; 03-12-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
Did any of you all recognize any of the cast in the photo in that link? I think Armin Shimerman is peaking between the two tall guys in the middle part of the front row. Is the woman at the far right with the white hair Nana Visitor? I donít recognize any of the other people in the photo, are there any that I missed?
It's a tiny-ass picture, so it's

I recognize Michael Westmore (bald guy on the left in a light shirt) and Ira Steven Behr (bearded guy a little left of centre), and think the Asian guy over on the right is Michael Okuda, so I suspect it's mostly crew. (Though I do think you're right about Visitor and Shimerman...and I think that's Jeffrey Combs just right of centre.)
Old 03-12-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Crap, missed edit window. 'It's hard to identify anyone.'
Old 03-12-2019, 11:29 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post

I recognize Michael Westmore (bald guy on the left in a light shirt) and Ira Steven Behr (bearded guy a little left of centre), and think the Asian guy over on the right is Michael Okuda, so I suspect it's mostly crew. (Though I do think you're right about Visitor and Shimerman...and I think that's Jeffrey Combs just right of centre.)
Aron Eisenberg (Nog) is to the far right next to Visitor.

I think that’s Chase Masterson and Nicole de Boer next to Combs.

Last edited by Loach; 03-12-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:19 AM
Charter Member

Much bigger version:

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress...stpremiere.jpg

Garak is next to Jeffrey Combs. Dukat is next to Heisenberg (?). Jake is in back.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

I had seen something about this on the DS9 Wikipedia page a while back and had actually intended to start a thread here to find out if this had ever been released, if anyone had seen it, where I could find it, etc. So, thanks for posting this! I'm looking forward to it.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:39 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos L Halper View Post
Much bigger version:

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress...stpremiere.jpg

Garak is next to Jeffrey Combs. Dukat is next to Heisenberg (?). Jake is in back.
I was about to say that it was Cirroc Lofton in the back. Unsurprisingly he looks a lot different.

The work of Marc Alaimo and Andrew Robinson was to me the high point of the show. Iíve seen neither be as good before or since.

To me thatís what set the show apart from the others. I always thought that the overall level of acting was much better on DS9.

It will be interesting to see to what extent and how Avery Brooks is involved. He can be... unique.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:44 PM

Very exciting! The pic appeared to be missing Avery Brooks, Colm Meaney, Michael Dorn, Alexander Siddig, and the actress who played Jadzia Dax. I hope they all had some involvement.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 03-13-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:47 PM

I wonder if Ron Moore will make an appearance?
Old 03-13-2019, 05:37 PM

Is that Wally Shawn (Grand Nagus Zek) with the goatee looking out over Marc Alaimo's shoulder?

I'm also not seeing Max Grodťnchik (Rom) in the pic unless that's him on the extreme right.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:52 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
Is that Wally Shawn (Grand Nagus Zek) with the goatee looking out over Marc Alaimo's shoulder?

I'm also not seeing Max Grodťnchik (Rom) in the pic unless that's him on the extreme right.
Thatís Nog on the right.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
No, too much hair, and way too strong a chin.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
It will be interesting to see to what extent and how Avery Brooks is involved. He can be... unique.
I'd heard he could be rather intense on set. I started watching DS9 again and he Almost But Doesn't Quite Skate Past the Over Acting Line.

The CGI is quaint too. But it will always be my favorite.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:15 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
I'd heard he could be rather intense on set. I started watching DS9 again and he Almost But Doesn't Quite Skate Past the Over Acting Line.

The CGI is quaint too. But it will always be my favorite.
Did you see Shatnerís documentary The Captains? I did enjoy it even though he of course made it all about himself. It was interesting to see how each one of them reacted to Shatner. I get the impression that Stewart finds him hilarious. Brooks came off as being very intense and very strange. He spent most of the interview playing on his piano. Shatner rolled with it pretty well. Heís a professor at Rutgers University and is very serious about his acting.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:22 PM

Stewart and Shatner acted together in Generations, so I imagine they got some one on one time.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:21 PM

Bump...this will be showing at a theater near me on Monday! Anyone else going?
Old 05-06-2019, 05:15 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Had to cut down the url, but yes. Don't think we can meet up since we're on diagonally opposite sides of the country, though.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:27 PM

Hmmm...let's try this link.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Can't. I'm leaving for Moscow on Sunday. Damn!
Old 05-06-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
The work of Marc Alaimo and Andrew Robinson was to me the high point of the show. Iíve seen neither be as good before or since.
I remember being somewhat blown away when I found out that Garak was also the killer in the first Dirty Harry movie.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I'm going to my local theatre.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:14 PM

I Saw It!

There was a bit of a glitch at the theater...it didn't start on time and when it did start it was about 20 minutes in, but they backed it up and started over. I also got a poster.

I really enjoyed it. My favorite parts:

Five of the writers, including Ron Moore and Ira Steven Behr, brainstormed what the first episode of season 8 might be and I loved what they came up with.

A little girl asked Avery Brooks what his favorite mission was and he answered, "Raising Jake."

Andrew Robinson said the first thing Garak should have done was have sex with Bashir, then take it from there. Behr said they should have explored Garak's sexuality more, but being the 90s, I guess they couldn't push the envelope beyond Dax meeting up with her former wife.

Terry Farrell also touched on why she left before the final season and it seems she's still upset. She says she got a "take it or leave it" offer and even went to the head of Paramount to talked to him about it.

It seems they crowd-funded the doc and converting some of the footage to HD, which is apparently quite the heavy lift.

Last edited by ivylass; 05-14-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:32 PM

Unfortunately, it's not playing anywhere near me so I'll have to wait.

Is there any reason to believe it will not be available for purchase as a legal download soonish?
Old 05-14-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:

Is there any reason to believe it will not be available for purchase as a legal download soonish?
They made it seem like a One Time Only, but if you go to Indiegogo and search for Deep Space Nine it will come up. The campaign has closed, but they raised several hundred thousand dollars. There might be more information about getting the blue ray.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Andrew Robinson said the first thing Garak should have done was have sex with Bashir, then take it from there.
And this is why I continue to love that man. (I used to write G/B fanfic back in the '90s.)

I haven't seen this documentary yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. DS9 was my favorite Trek and I still watch my old DVDs occasionally.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Did you see Shatnerís documentary The Captains? I did enjoy it even though he of course made it all about himself. It was interesting to see how each one of them reacted to Shatner. I get the impression that Stewart finds him hilarious. Brooks came off as being very intense and very strange.
He's just...not linear.

I was an early backer of the DS9 film and got to go to the premier event in New York a few months back. (In addition to Ira Behr, Ethan Phillips showed up to do 10 minutes of Borscht Belt schtick.)

The doc really is wonderful, including cast and crew interviews, a hypothetical brainstorm of what a season 8 premier might be, brand new HD transfers of select scenes, animations, and fan perspectives, all cut together in a very entertaining and nostalgic way. There is reportedly a ton of extra stuff which will be released with the DVD as well.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:55 AM

I didn't know it was Ira's wife Laura who came up with Transporter Accident to explain Nana's real life pregnancy. It also appears Nana and Siddig are still good friends.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Bump

Bumping to let anyone know who's interested, this doc is available now on Amazon instant video.

Enjoy!
Old 08-07-2019, 09:44 PM

Oooh!!! I didn't see this was coming out.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
There was a bit of a glitch at the theater...it didn't start on time and when it did start it was about 20 minutes in, but they backed it up and started over. I also got a poster.

I really enjoyed it. My favorite parts:

Five of the writers, including Ron Moore and Ira Steven Behr, brainstormed what the first episode of season 8 might be and I loved what they came up with.

A little girl asked Avery Brooks what his favorite mission was and he answered, "Raising Jake."

Andrew Robinson said the first thing Garak should have done was have sex with Bashir, then take it from there. Behr said they should have explored Garak's sexuality more, but being the 90s, I guess they couldn't push the envelope beyond Dax meeting up with her former wife.

Terry Farrell also touched on why she left before the final season and it seems she's still upset. She says she got a "take it or leave it" offer and even went to the head of Paramount to talked to him about it.

It seems they crowd-funded the doc and converting some of the footage to HD, which is apparently quite the heavy lift.
Just saw this on the bumped thread. Garak is one of my favorite characters. Itís interesting that Andrew Robinson says they should have explored Garakís sexuality more. I had the impression that Garak was asexual, but I guess I was wrong about that.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:16 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Just saw this on the bumped thread. Garak is one of my favorite characters. Itís interesting that Andrew Robinson says they should have explored Garakís sexuality more. I had the impression that Garak was asexual, but I guess I was wrong about that.
He had a minor thing with some official's daughter.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:58 PM

Bump...this is now streaming on Amazon Prime.

Dammit...ninja'd. Anywho...

Last edited by ivylass; 08-16-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Itís interesting that Andrew Robinson says they should have explored Garakís sexuality more. I had the impression that Garak was asexual, but I guess I was wrong about that.
In his first appearance he was omnisexual, and obviously attracted to Bashir. This aspect of the character was not explored in subsequent episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTeJKg8Yf4A

https://thatshelf.com/what-we-left-b...irony-in-trek/
Old 08-16-2019, 04:47 PM

Ira et al didn't give themselves a high grade in portraying homosexuality because he said they only did the one episode, the one where Jadzia meets her former wife. They said the one where Quark dressed in drag was played as a joke (I cringed at that because it also portrayed sexual harassment being played for laughs. Sometimes I wonder if the actors do too when they get the scripts) but they also had the Opposite Ezri being gay and attracted to Leeta. I wonder if Behr forgot about that one.

Last edited by ivylass; 08-16-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Well, that's disappointing. I thought that streaming on Prime meant it was included. Instead, it's on regular Amazon as a five buck rental.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:31 PM

Oh, it isn't? I searched for it on Prime and it popped up, so I thought that meant I could stream it. Is it possible you weren't logged in?
Old 08-17-2019, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, it isn't? I searched for it on Prime and it popped up, so I thought that meant I could stream it. Is it possible you weren't logged in?
I'm definitely signed in, and I can see it. But I have to pay for it if I want to watch it.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:31 AM

I got the BluRay earlier this week.

It was more surprising to me hear Ira Behr say that Garak was "obviously gay" and they'd chickened out on writing him that way. I feel like I've been vindicated at last. Andy Robinson has been saying so for years; he was always encouraging to us fangirls who wrote Garak/Bashir slash stories, which is one of the reasons I continue to love him when I've long ceased to care about other actors I was fond of back in the '90s.

Another thing I found funny: Nana Visitor and Terry Farrell are talking to Ira Steven Behr. Nana remembers being really upset about a story idea that was once floated about Major Kira and Gul Dukat having an affair.

Ira protests that it was never more than an idea, and anyway it got rewritten and changed into that episode where Kira goes back in time and discovers that her mother, whom she had always thought died in a Cardassian labor camp, had been Dukat's concubine.

Nana then says that, if they hadn't set up the romance with Odo, she could see Kira having an affair with some Cardassian... but "NOT Marc Alaimo. Dukat! I meant Dukat!"

Ira, Terry, and people off camera crack up.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
I'm definitely signed in, and I can see it. But I have to pay for it if I want to watch it.
Dammit, I tried it too and there's no option to stream it. Hopefully that will change soon.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

OK, so I ponied up my five bucks to watch this on Amazon last night. Except for the cheesy crooning at the beginning and the end, I really enjoyed it. I loved the stories about how intense Avery Brooks is, and how you have to talk to him like a jazz man. It was also cool to hear that Brooks sort of "adopted" Cirroc Lofton into his family and that they still hang out together.

My wife was annoyed with the one producer guy who wore his sweater wrapped around his neck. Didn't that look die out 20 years ago? I said I could think of something that looks even stupider than a sweater around your neck... a blue goatee! (Seriously, what's up with that?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
The doc really is wonderful, including cast and crew interviews, a hypothetical brainstorm of what a season 8 premier might be, brand new HD transfers of select scenes, animations, and fan perspectives, all cut together in a very entertaining and nostalgic way. There is reportedly a ton of extra stuff which will be released with the DVD as well.
(My bolding) I don't remember this. Did they specifically point out scenes that had been converted to HD?

Quote:
I didn't know it was Ira's wife Laura who came up with Transporter Accident to explain Nana's real life pregnancy. It also appears Nana and Siddig are still good friends.
I don't remember this being discussed either. Maybe I need to watch it again before my 48 hour rental is up.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
My wife was annoyed with the one producer guy who wore his sweater wrapped around his neck. Didn't that look die out 20 years ago? I said I could think of something that looks even stupider than a sweater around your neck... a blue goatee! (Seriously, what's up with that?)
That's Ira Steven Behr. Be respectful.

Quote:
(My bolding) I don't remember this. Did they specifically point out scenes that had been converted to HD?
IIRC, that's toward the end. Just a few scenes because it's WAY too expensive.

Quote:
I don't remember this being discussed either. Maybe I need to watch it again before my 48 hour rental is up.
That may not have been in the doc, but I remembered reading about it here. Scroll down to the second paragraph under "Background Information."
Old 08-25-2019, 11:36 AM
SDSAB

Just got my poster from the production team, showing ISB cradling DS9 in his hands. Looking forward to getting my DVD.