Old 08-07-2019, 06:04 PM

Little things that briefly take you out of a movie:

For me...old movie stunts that obviously didn't have a lot of thought beyond "You'll be fine. ROLLEM!!"

I don't mean old old old stunts like Keaton. Those are supposed to make your jaw drop. But just little things. I can't really think of any examples right now, but I definitely remember seeing some. I guess ones like Eli Wallach nearly getting his head sheared off by a train in The Good the Bad and the Ugly. Though in that case, I heard about it before seeing it.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Like Tom Hardy hanging from the vehicle in Mad Max Fury Road?

Or most of Fury Road.

Here it is without the digital effects. It's almost more intense when you see what was real.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:41 PM

A cameo by a famous face will do it for me.

Example: in the not-that-good Jackie Chan version of Around the World in 80 Days they suddenly come across a Turkish Sultan played by Arnold Schwarzenegger. Or, in the highly enjoyable film Stardust, the pilot of the dirigible is Robert DeNiro (who is, for some reason, a very campy gay character).
Old 08-07-2019, 06:43 PM

The Wilhelm Scream.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:53 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Continuity errors, and production artifacts (like microphone heads) that wind up in the shot.

My continuity error example: the Paul Newman movie Nobody's Fool. In that film, it's winter, and Newman plays a snowplow driver. There's a scene with him and Melanie Griffith, as he's preparing to head out of the house. As Newman delivers a line, he puts on one glove, then the other. There's a cut to a shot of Griffith as she delivers her line, then it cuts back to Newman...who delivers his next line as he puts on one glove, then then other.

When I first watched the film, probably on VHS, I stopped the tape. "Did I just see what I thought I saw?" I felt compelled to rewind, and watch again, just to make sure.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:16 PM

Almost anything with trained dogs. They bark on cue looking happily expectant for the reward, when they are supposed to be barking threateningly; in a touching reunion scene they allow the boy to pet them while looking at their handler off screen.

Horses are even worse. Nobody gallops their horses everywhere unless they want them to drop down dead. Covering distance in a hurry is accomplished mainly at a trot, an uncomfortable uncinematic gait, unless you've got relay horses waiting in a few miles (like the Pony Express). If you are spending days in the saddle going someplace you will be almost entirely walking.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

One that always bugs me is when there's a car chase scene and you can see the skid marks on the asphalt from rehearsals or previous takes. I imagine it's hard (if even possible) to clean the rubber off the road, but I always wondered if maybe they could do the practice runs a hundred feet away.

For the life of me, I can't find it online, but a few days ago I was watching Smokey and the Bandit and noticed a good example of it. When he saw Sally Field in the middle of the road he locked up his wheels and skidded to a stop (or made a u-turn, or peeled out, I don't remember) and you could see 5 or 6 other sets of skid marks.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
The Wilhelm Scream.
This. I've never understood what the big deal is, and more specifically, why the trivia section of IMDB has to point out exactly when it is used in a movie.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:34 PM

Fifty-star US flags in anything set before 1959. Larry Hagman had one in his office in The Eagle Has Landed, and all of a sudden I wasn't in World War II any more. (Even worse, but on TV and not in a movie, there was one in Margot Kidder's bar in the James Garner series Nichols, set around 1914.)

Anachronistic technology, like a young George Patton riding an M3 Stuart 40 years before they were developed. Also, things like Shermans being substituted for Panthers with only a coat of paint used to disguise them.

Actors doing either bad or totally inappropriate accents. (This does not apply to Brits or Americans playing ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, et cetera, since we know everything is in translation anyway.)

Corollary to the above: bad translations of foreign dialogue, sometimes done for more "dramatic" effect (like "I am the sword of Almighty God" instead of "I'm your worst nightmare").

I know that bird calls can completely ruin the illusion of being in another land and/or time for those familiar with them. So can inappropriate music, dialogue, costuming, props and so on (like seeing white sugar cubes served with tea in Pirates of the Caribbean).

Last edited by terentii; 08-07-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
One that always bugs me is when there's a car chase scene and you can see the skid marks on the asphalt from rehearsals or previous takes. I imagine it's hard (if even possible) to clean the rubber off the road, but I always wondered if maybe they could do the practice runs a hundred feet away.
Another car chase related one: When they dub in the sound of squealing tires, but the cars are on a dirt road. I can't think of any specific examples, but I know I've seen it in a few 1960s-70s era movies.

I used to be this way with the unrealistic computer interfaces you always see in movies, but I have come to accept that the purpose of computer screens in movies is to show the audience what's going on, not to be realistic.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:53 PM

Somebody working the action of a firearm to be threatening and no round is ejected. So the action movie hero has been running around, frequently in a firefight that's been ongoing, with an empty chamber. I always find myself expecting the person threatened to laugh instead.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:29 PM

This one probably applies more to TV than movies, but older special effects that may have looked convincing enough on a small screen in standard definition, but look obviously fake when you see them on a bigger screen and in HD. For example I rewatched the Stephen King miniseries The Langoliers (1995) on Netflix a few years ago, and the CGI effects looked like something out of a 1990s video game.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:43 PM

When characters traveling in a vehicle have an intense conversation, and the driver spends minutes at a time looking at the person in the passenger seat, with nary a glance at the road ahead.

Yeah, I know you're on a process trailer and not actually driving. Fake! LOOK AT THE DANG ROAD!!!
Old 08-07-2019, 08:45 PM

When scientists in movies set in current times refer to ideas or theories that have long since been shown to be wrong

E.G. in the movie Lucy when Morgan Freeman's character brings up the old idea that humans only use ten percent of their brain
Old 08-07-2019, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Phones...look, I can get past the idea that no one ever, ever says 'bye' when on the phone in a movie or on TV, they just hang up What bugs me is when someone hangs up and there's a dial tone...on a cell phone.
I assume they're doing it to make the other person hanging up sound more dramatic, but a simple beep (and the character looking at their phone) would make a lot more sense. Those foley artists can't all be so old they don't understand how cell phones work.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
When characters traveling in a vehicle have an intense conversation, and the driver spends minutes at a time looking at the person in the passenger seat, with nary a glance at the road ahead.

Yeah, I know you're on a process trailer and not actually driving. Fake! LOOK AT THE DANG ROAD!!!
Corollary: The camera switches POV from the driver to the passenger and back, and their windows go from being open to closed and back again ad infinitum. This happened all the time whenever Jim had someone with him in his Pontiac on The Rockford Files.

Last edited by terentii; 08-07-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:19 PM

Mundane unrealistic things in unrealistic sci-fi movies.

Battleship:
Alien invasion vs USS Missouri museum ship=okay.
Screw-up criminal becomes a US Naval officer: Um, no.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter:
Ninja Abe vs Vampires=okay.
Walking silver ammo to Gettysburg overnight: Um, no.

Last edited by HubZilla; 08-07-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Corollary: The camera switches POV from the driver to the passenger and back, and their windows go from being open to closed and back again ad infinitum. This happened all the time whenever Jim had someone with him in his Pontiac on The Rockford Files.
Another driving one: when the driver is talking to the passenger and turns their head to face them, and doesn't look back at the road for far longer than feels normal. When it results in some type of accident, I understand, but no competent driver goes 10 or 15 seconds without at least glancing forward.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
In the realm of retconning: it's kind of funny to imagine reasons why the characters would be, with lightning rapidity, raising and lowering the windows repeatedly---with neither of them ever referring to the fact at all.

(Well, not terribly funny. More 'bizarre,' I'll concede.)
Old 08-07-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Another driving one: when the driver is talking to the passenger and turns their head to face them, and doesn't look back at the road for far longer than feels normal. When it results in some type of accident, I understand, but no competent driver goes 10 or 15 seconds without at least glancing forward.
Isn't that what I said?
Old 08-07-2019, 09:37 PM

Medieval armor in movies often bothers the hell out of me. I can accept some anachronistic pieces, armor was expensive, it would even be realistic for some noble to wear a piece from an ancient family member or taken in battle perhaps a century ago.

But it is often way too much. Armor had styles and the people then as now cared about how they looked to their peers and yet in movies they walk around with a bizarre grab bag of armor from entirely different regions spanning perhaps 300 years or more.

To the people of the era it would be like seeing a Lady Gaga outfit for us.

Last edited by Sitnam; 08-07-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:40 PM

Pickup lines that work.

The guy says something witty, the girl laughs and they go get a table, and I'm like, "What? That works? Eh, whatever."
Old 08-07-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
The Wilhelm Scream.
It only bothers my wife now because I always point it out. Justice though, I feel, for her with songs and ‘cowbell’
Old 08-07-2019, 09:48 PM

Added sound effects that are 1) predictable and 2) over the top.

Examples:

Added whooshing noises, such as when some karate dude is slicing his hands through the air - whoosh, whoosh.

Another one - the extremely loud ker-chunk when someone turns on the lights in a stadium, warehouse, or similar structure - ker-chunk!

mmm
Old 08-07-2019, 09:56 PM

Almost every scene of mediaeval combat ever filmed, where it's clear the actors have no idea how their weapons were actually used. The most egregious example I can think of is Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone fencing with broadswords in 1938's The Adventures of Robin Hood.

Corollaries: Actors in period pieces loading their muskets and cannons in ways that would get their hands blown off in real life. Flintlock-era firearms that use percussion caps, like Faye Dunaway's pistol in The Four Musketeers. Masses of 18th and 19th century soldiers charging headlong across a battlefield instead of advancing slowly in ordered ranks and files. Napoleonic-era soldiers marching to brass bands instead of fifes and drums.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Phones....
When the phone rings in a police station or a newsroom, you just know the authority figure who picks it up is going to identify themselves with their last name, pause, and say "What?!?"

(I had to do this once in a movie I was in. I knew what my line would be even before I was shown the script. It's the kind of thing you can play one of those beer-sipping games with when you're watching TCM.)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:29 PM

It seems as though they hate seatbelts for some reason. It takes me right out because it goes against deeply imprinted habit. Is there a legitimate practical reason for it?

Also, not because it is unrealistic but just because it’s so unhealthy of a habit, is when characters non chalantly carry backpacks on one shoulder.

Finally, just from over use, people walking into the street and getting hit by a bus. Especially in the later years, when they are in the street long enough to make a speech but somehow not long enough for the bus to stop.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
When the phone rings in a police station or a newsroom, you just know the authority figure who picks it up is going to identify themselves with their last name, pause, and say "What?!?"
More dialogue you can see coming a mile away:

"You are either very brave ... or very foolish."
"Perhaps ... a little of both."

"Be careful! Don't hit *the girl*!"

"What have you done with her?"
"Nothing ... yet."

"I'll see to it tomorrow."
"But ... that'll be too late!"
"What do you mean by that?!?"
"Oh ... nothing...."
Old 08-07-2019, 11:06 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:

For the life of me, I can't find it online, but a few days ago I was watching Smokey and the Bandit and noticed a good example of it. When he saw Sally Field in the middle of the road he locked up his wheels and skidded to a stop (or made a u-turn, or peeled out, I don't remember) and you could see 5 or 6 other sets of skid marks.
That reminded me of the famous car chase in Bullitt, and how the bad guys' car (a Dodge Charger) keeps losing hubcaps, and seems to keep regenerating them. IIRC, it loses like six hubcaps over the course of the scene.

Edit: apparently, it was actually eight hubcaps.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 08-07-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:13 PM

Everybody in a fantasy world having the same general accent - usually British. Some variation - Cockney orcs, high-class Gondorians, country Hobbits - but all based on the British accent.

C'mon, people! Hobbits, Elves, Gondorians, and Rohirrim are not going to have the same accent! They're separated by many leagues and entirely different societies! Switch it up some.

(I'll give props to the animated version of The Hobbit. Though it's strange to hear Thranduil speaking in a German accent, at least it makes sense that he'd have a different one than members of other races.)
Old 08-07-2019, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

The no-look look.

Detective arrives on the scene to find that the FBI investigator is already there. FBI-guy is not looking at the detective because he is already looking at the crime scene. Detective approaches the FBI guy and FBI guy says(without looking), "Thank you, officer. We'll take it from here. This is our case now."
Old 08-07-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
That reminded me of the famous car chase in Bullitt, and how the bad guys' car (a Dodge Charger) keeps losing hubcaps, and seems to keep regenerating them. IIRC, it loses like six hubcaps over the course of the scene.

Don't forget the green Volkswagen parked everywhere.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:00 AM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post

And there are several obvious skidmarks from practice runs prior to filming the shots.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:18 AM

Doors. Nobody shuts the door behind them. Where were you raised, in a barn? Shut the durn door!
Old 08-08-2019, 04:39 AM

When people act like being in your underwear in front of someone is the exact same as being naked in front of someone.

For example any movie where a woman is caught in her underwear and she instinctively does the "cover breasts with forearm" thing or when a man is caught in his underwear and he covers his groin with his hands. You literally aren't doing anything to hide your modesty that way because of the fact everything is still basically covered up. Now turning away from the person or quickly jumping behind something is understandable and realistic, but I've seen far too many shows where adult men who really shouldn't care act like being seen in their boxers is the most scandalous thing ever and use their hands to cover themselves for no reason.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:42 AM

Since I'm a teacher, these kind of thing always stands out to me:

They show someone teaching a class. It's supposed to be the middle of the school year, or semester, or whatever, yet the teacher is giving an introductory lecture on the subject - the lecture they would give on the first day of class. The Indiana Jones movies are guilty of this.

The first episode of Breaking Bad had a scene like this that totally took me out. The first time we see Walter White in the classroom, he's giving a demonstration and describing what chemistry is all about. I actually thought "oh, it must be the first day of school." It's been a while since I've seen it, so maybe I'm not remembering it correctly, but later in the episode, something else established that it was the middle of the school year. So what was Walt teaching his chemistry class before that day, then?

Another one is when our hero is supposed to be a college professor who has been at their university for years, or even decades. We see them in the classroom, and they are teaching My Subject 101. It doesn't work that way in real life. Adjuncts and graduate teaching assistants teach most lower-division classes; professors rarely do. Indiana Jones is guilty of this one as well, but I give those movies a pass because maybe back in the 1930s, that's the way it was.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
The Wilhelm Scream.
^This. They need to stop this. It's not funny, or insider, it's distracting.

For me, it's when they hang up the phone without saying "Bye".

Last edited by Ashtura; 08-08-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Character's drinks never have ice in them.

Now that I see it, I can't UN-see it.

And now, you won't be able to either.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Character's drinks never have ice in them.

Now that I see it, I can't UN-see it.

More important: Characters are served drinks (and food) and never touch them. This happens all the time in soaps, where a man and a woman sit down at the table, talk for two or three minutes, and then the woman gets up and puts the dishes in the sink without either actor taking a bite.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quit....shaking/moving ...the...camera.

This happens a lot on TV dramas and in some movies. I guess it's supposed to add to the tension or give you the feeling that you are right there with the actors.

For me, all it does is remind me that these people are actors and they are standing in front of a cameraman.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

When people go to a computer, google something, and instantly find the webpage they need with the exact information they are looking for at the top.

"How many dingos were accused of eating babies in countries other than Australia prior to 1975?" Five seconds later "23."
Old 08-08-2019, 11:39 AM

People starting sentences with "Look . . . " . I guess it's supposed to show that they're really earnest. My mom pointed it out to me when I was a kid and we made fun of it for the rest of her days.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDog View Post

This happens a lot on TV dramas and in some movies. I guess it's supposed to add to the tension or give you the feeling that you are right there with the actors.

For me, all it does is remind me that these people are actors and they are standing in front of a cameraman.
Makes me think the cameraman is drunk.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Fast-moving car collides with something and

* goes up in the air, arching over some other cars or ramps or whatever;
* flips over onto one side or the other and you know that it is going to
* burst into explosive flames
Old 08-08-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

* accidental duplicate post *

Last edited by AHunter3; 08-08-2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: x
Old 08-08-2019, 12:17 PM

Mine is silly, but absolutely infuriating to me: paper coffee cups are always empty and it is so obvious. Fill the damn thing with water to give it the proper weight! Or hell, rocks, for all I care. You don't have to drink it, but at least it will look realistic when you pick it up and wave it around for emphasis.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:30 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Character's drinks never have ice in them.Now that I see it, I can't UN-see it.

My "can't un-see it" one is this: no matter how filthy and/or the car is, seven times out of ten, its windshield and other glass will be pristine. Goes up to nine times out of ten on movies/shows made before, say, 1995.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDog View Post

This completely put me off Boston Legal and The Office. I've never been able to sit through an episode of either with the camera bobbing around in every shot.

It ain't funny or artsy, it's just annoying as hell.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:36 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
This completely put me off Boston Legal
I noticed something similar on Boston Legal, but then I realized it was just Lake Bell.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:37 PM

Two things I've never been able to un-notice ever since they were pointed out to me: Gary Burghoff's malformed hand and Frank Sinatra's missing earlobe.

Did you know, BTW, that Cary Grant was missing an incisor and had a canine tooth moved forward to fill the gap?