Old 09-27-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
YMMV
It's not "mileage" that varies here, it's reason and logic and consideration of the facts. It's precisely this sort of blowing things out of proportion that makes so many Republicans such idiots. Try not to be like them.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:38 AM

IMO Rick Kitchen post a LOT of really good ones, and gets it right most of the time. I'll accept a few stinkers without having to get angry about it. Hell, he even date stamps his cites now due to past criticism of posting old stuff. Rick, if you were a baseball player you're batting average would be the envy of the league!
Old 09-27-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
It's well past noon in Virginia now. Have they apologized? If not, has Sen. Chase revealed their name?

ETA: A quick google says no and no.
I wanted to follow up on this; Senator Chase did indeed name the company involved AND she provided an audio recording of a telephone conversation she had with them. They still deny her version of events, however.
Quote:
Chase said her campaign never approved that language, something the digital media firm that placed the ad disputes. She said she spent the weekend talking with officials from the Prosper Group, asking them to issue an apology and claim responsibility for the message.

She recorded at least one of those conversations. In it, a senior Prosper Group employee concedes that the campaign never signed off on the final version of the ad. Chase warned the firm that she would release the recording if the apology was not issued by noon Monday.

The firm rebuffed her request, and Chase provided the six-minute recording to The Washington Post.

R. Scott Kline, a senior strategist with the Prosper Group, says in the call that the firm violated “normal protocol” when it failed to provide the campaign with a final version of the ad before posting it on Facebook last week.

“The ad did not go to you,” Kline says in the recording. “That’s just clear as day here. . . . You approved the original ad. . . . We thought you were approving the revised ad, which you obviously did not get. I would absolutely agree with you that the ball was dropped on that. I’m not trying to sugarcoat that. I’m not trying to make excuses for it. That happened.”

In a statement, the Prosper Group said the campaign had signed off on “shoot down” language for the “website landing page” that accompanies the ad, where supporters can sign a petition. The firm said Kline did not know all the facts when he spoke to Chase.

“The Prosper Group terminated its relationship with Virginia State Senator Amanda Chase (R-11) as of Sunday, September 22nd,” the company said in an email. “Unfortunately, State Senator Chase is misrepresenting the facts and refused to take ownership for language she approved, and by recording our staff without their knowledge, acted in bad faith.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...40f_story.html
Old 09-27-2019, 11:03 AM

How can they deny an audio recording of the call?
Old 09-27-2019, 11:09 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Not many people are aware of all the things Photoshop can do.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:13 AM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Greta Thunberg is certainly getting a fine introduction to the American right wing. I bet she has received exactly zero such welcomes anywhere else in the world.
Apparently, there are Repugnican-analogues in Australia. Fortunately for them, help is available!

Background from HuffPo: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/great...b0019647a4e59c

[brief PM hijack] Hey, bobot, izzat PKD behind the psychedelic-swirl colors in your avatar? Tough to tell at 50 x 50 pixels.[/PM hijack]
Old 09-27-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Like this: "Yeah, we told the Angry Customer we screwed up, even though we didn't. What else can you do in that situation? Had no idea she was gonna record our line of happy horseshit and throw us under the bus like that."

Also like this, which they actually did:
Quote:
The firm said Kline did not know all the facts when he spoke to Chase.
Is any of that true? Who knows.

Last edited by mjmlabs; 09-27-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:19 AM

That's a fella named Jorma Kaukonen. (Hot Tuna, Jefferson Airplane.)
Old 09-27-2019, 11:30 AM

Ah, thx. I'll not bother trying to dig up the scene in A Serious Man where he gets name-checked ... "Jorma .... somet'ing ... "
Old 09-27-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
A black girl at the school where Karen Pence teaches was attacked by sixth grade boys who cut off her dreadlocks because they were ugly.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/sixth-...ristian-school
Quote:
Originally Posted by (emphasis added)
“One of the boys put his hand over my mouth so I wouldn’t scream while they used scissors on my hair,” she recalled to The Daily Beast on Thursday. "They were all laughing, calling me ugly, and saying I should have never been born....
Amari’s mom explained that this was not the first time her daughter had been subjected to bullying by these three classmates. Throughout the school year, the boys have allegedly been “taking her lunch every single day and calling her names.”

“My concern is, how did they not see what was taking place, on the playground and all year,” Allen said. “Karen Pence, the vice president’s wife, works at the school. There is security and secret service everywhere. How did they not know!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
But how the fuck does this qualify as a stupid Republican idea? I don't care if Karen Pence teaches there, this is basically a story about kids being bullies, which happens everywhere.
Wrong. This was a "Christian" school. No, not the Christianity espoused in the Gospels and which many moderate and progressive Americans seek to follow. No, this was a "Christian" school endorsed by hateful right-wing vermin like the Pences, modern American "Christians" who see Jesus as their path to material wealth in this world..

The article claimed that the girl had been bullied all year and that Karen Pence and her team of eyes presumably witnessed it. Yet Pence was fine with it all. Do we need to produce a party registration card (copy ok, or will you need the original long form?) to prove that the Pences are Republioscum?

Perhaps mhendo objects to calling this a stupid Republican idea. We might have separate threads for malicious Republican idea, hypocritical Republican idea, hateful Republican idea — should Mr. Kitchen have posted in one of those? Is that what the complaints are about?

Last edited by septimus; 09-27-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Wrong. This was a "Christian" school. No, not the Christianity espoused in the Gospels and which many moderate and progressive Americans seek to follow. No, this was a "Christian" school endorsed by hateful right-wing vermin like the Pences, modern American "Christians" who see Jesus as their path to material wealth in this world..

The article claimed that the girl had been bullied all year and that Karen Pence and her team of eyes presumably witnessed it. Yet Pence was fine with it all. Do we need to produce a party registration card (copy ok, or will you need the original long form?) to prove that the Pences are Republioscum?

Perhaps mhendo objects to calling this a stupid Republican idea. We might have separate threads for malicious Republican idea, hypocritical Republican idea, hateful Republican idea — should Mr. Kitchen have posted in one of those? Is that what the complaints are about?
I like Rick Kitchen's posts.

When posting on this board (or anywhere else), one cannot make the assumption that one's point is going to be crystal clear. In fact, it's best to assume you are going to be MISunderstood and make sure you quote or cite the phrase from the linked source that MAKES YOUR POINT. Assume that people are NOT going to follow the link or watch the video and TELL them right out what it is you want them to get from the source.

I usually overkill on this by posting an edited version of the whole article. I'm assuming most people aren't reading the whole of those either, but I know the smart people are (you know who you are and so do I ).

Rick could have quoted the Karen Pence connection to show exactly WHY he was citing this event, or mhendo could have read the whole article and found the Karen Pence connection on his own instead of leaving it to septimus.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
This is fucking idiotic.

Look at the first sentence of your paragraph: "The article claimed that the girl had been bullied all year and that Karen Pence and her team of eyes presumably witnessed it."

That's some real definitive proof right there! We have no evidence whatsoever that Karen Pence or any of her "team" knew what was going on here. If you know anything about bullies, you should know that one thing they're often very good at is hiding their bullying from the eyes of witnesses, especially teachers and other authority figures.

I understand that the girl's mother in upset about this. She has every right to be. But despite her claims that Pence and her security detail must have known it was going on, it is entirely plausible, in my opinion, that they had no fucking idea. There are 410 students in the school, and I doubt Karen Pence knows who they all are, or keeps an eye on the playground at recess. And I'll bet her Secret Service detail spends its time watching her immediate surroundings, not monitoring all the interactions between the students.

I can't stand Karen Pence or her husband. If you want to criticize her for teaching at a Christian school that opposes LGBTQ rights, I'll be right there with you. There are probably a hundred things that Karen Pence believes and does that are symptomatic of particular types of right-wing Christian intolerance and bigotry, and this type of thing is certainly an important part of Republican ideology.

But that doesn't mean that Pence is responsible for this incident of bullying. Hell, it doesn't even mean that the school itself is responsible The school has openly condemned the attack, and stated that it violates the school's principles. According to this site, the school's population is 14.4% African American, meaning that it has a larger percentage of African Americans than the nation as a whole, and making it more racially integrated than a significant percentage of American public schools.

And if the school itself is such a haven of bigotry and intolerance, then why the fuck does this woman have her daughter there in the first place? Presumably, she knew about the school's values before she signed her kid up.
Quote:
No, I'm simply arguing that one case of racist bullying by a few tweens is not, by itself, an example of a Republican idea, whether stupid or malicious or hypocritical or hateful. I'll bet you can find examples of similar bullying in public schools all over America, even ones that go out of their way to promote values like diversity and inclusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I like Rick Kitchen's posts.
Of source you do, because you post even more overblown hysterical bullshit than he does, and spend half your life obsessing about "thump."
Quote:
Rick could have quoted the Karen Pence connection to show exactly WHY he was citing this event, or mhendo could have read the whole article and found the Karen Pence connection on his own instead of leaving it to septimus.
I knew the Karen Pence connection. My argument is not that there is no connection between Karen Pence and the school; my argument is that one act of children's bullying is not an example of a Republican idea, whether or not Karen Pence teaches at the school.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

In the world today, the White House, in a move which has sent markets tumbling in the last hour, are weighing measures to limit American investment in China.

Quote:
Trump administration officials are discussing ways to limit U.S. investors’ portfolio flows into China in a move that would have repercussions for billions of dollars in investment pegged to major indexes, according to people familiar with the internal deliberations.

The discussions are occurring as Washington and Beijing negotiate a potential truce in their trade war that’s rattled the world’s two biggest economies and investors for more than a year. They also come as China is removing limits on foreign investment in its financial markets. A U.S. crackdown on capital flows would therefore expose a new pressure point in the economic dispute and cause disruption well beyond the hundreds of billions in tariffs the two sides have levied against each other.

Among the options the Trump administration is considering: delisting Chinese companies from U.S. stock exchanges and limiting Americans’ exposure to the Chinese market through government pension funds. Exact mechanisms for how to do so have not yet been worked out and any plan is subject to approval by President Donald Trump, who has given the green light to the discussion, according to one person close to the deliberations.

Last edited by JohnT; 09-27-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wrong. This was a "Christian" school. No, not the Christianity espoused in the Gospels and which many moderate and progressive Americans seek to follow. No, this was a "Christian" school endorsed by hateful right-wing vermin like the Pences, modern American "Christians" who see Jesus as their path to material wealth in this world.
You misspelled Jeezus.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:24 PM

Republican Congressional campaign committee mocks Democratic Congressman for getting marriage counseling.
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...e-for-going-to
Old 09-28-2019, 10:06 PM

nm

Last edited by enipla; 09-28-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:20 AM

Ads for "Trumpcare," which doesn't exist, are everywhere
Quote:
Do a quick search for health insurance, and you'll find plenty of ads for "Trumpcare" plans that cost $59 or less per month. But there's a catch: Trumpcare doesn't exist, and many of these advertised plans offer bare-bones coverage.

After seeing Trumpcare ads in search engines, I submitted contact information to get quotes about coverage options. Over the the next week, I was bombarded with 70 phone calls and 12 texts from insurance brokers.
  • Every broker I spoke to admitted there is no such thing as Trumpcare, and that it is a marketing ploy from the lead generator site.
  • When I asked how I could get the plan that was advertised for $59 or less per month, brokers said the ads were in reference to short-term plans or fixed indemnity plans that offer little to no coverage for serious illness or injury.
What they're saying: "These websites that are selling 'Trumpcare' are capitalizing on the fact that very few people know what's going on," said Louise Norris, an independent insurance broker in Colorado.

The other side: Jeff Smedsrud, co-founder of HealthCare.com, a site that has advertised "Trumpcare" plans, said he didn't think it was misleading to use that framing for plans that are sold through its brokers.
  • "Could it lead to confusion? I don't think it has. Anything is possible," he said. "I'll certainly look at what we do. I may have our team change our mind on that."
My bold.

Caveat emptor, indeed.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 09-30-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Well, about 63 million people identified themselves as potential targets of the ruse. Can't hardly blame these shysters for seeing a market full of stupid.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
Well, about 63 million people identified themselves as potential targets of the ruse. Can't hardly blame these shysters for seeing a market full of stupid.
That is certainly true. No argument there.

But consider this: the idea that people are seeing something called "Trumpcare" being advertised is giving the false impression that Former President Trump* has actually followed through on his promise *choke* to offer something to replace Obamacare. Even people who have good health insurance through their employers will see those ads and assume there IS something called Trumpcare.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I really hope you are being deliberately obtuse, and you don't actually believe the objection is to "whether the Pences are Republicans." Your post is A Stupid Democratic Idea and please stop trying to speak for us. You make us all look bad.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:11 PM

That girl confessed that the story was made up. So I guess it's turned into a "Stupid Teenager idea of the day"
Old 09-30-2019, 02:18 PM

Kevin McCarthy was on 60 Minutes last night, being questioned about the Individual 1/Ukraine phone call. When Scott Pelley asked him about Individual 1 asking for a favor, McCarthy said, "You added that word." I guess there's at least one Republican who hasn't read the transcript.
https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...on-impeachment
Old 09-30-2019, 03:46 PM

Actual Faux Headline:
Black Virginia 6th grader who claimed white classmates cut off dreadlocks made story up, family says

She was black, ok? Are we clear on that up front?
Old 09-30-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Works for me. Never lighten up a chump. And Trump supporters are the very definition of chumps.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:15 PM

OK, just to be fair, NBC said it the same way. Fuck me.
Black girl who said 3 white boys cut her dreadlocks at school now says she was lying

Last edited by bobot; 09-30-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I think these shit plans should be called "Trumpcare"

Any plan should be called "Trumpcare" that:

- is Quasi-legal
- Takes your money and gives you shit or no coverage
- Run by shady fly-by-night operators

The only way a plan could be "Trumpier" is if you pay them money and then when you make a claim, not only do they shaft you, but they insult you on twitter with a childish nickname.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Actual Faux Headline:
Black Virginia 6th grader who claimed white classmates cut off dreadlocks made story up, family says

She was black, ok? Are we clear on that up front?
I'm not sure what your problem is here - the original story was (nationally) news-worthy because of the racial makeup of the people involved. Why wouldn't the story that it was false include the same details?
Old 10-01-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
I'm not sure what your problem is here - the original story was (nationally) news-worthy because of the racial makeup of the people involved. Why wouldn't the story that it was false include the same details?
Yeah, I could see making the argument that you might not need it in the actual headline, but the race of the parties is clearly relevant here.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:46 AM

That's my problem with it. But it's just my opinion.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I could see making the argument that you might not need it in the actual headline, but the race of the parties is clearly relevant here.
Quote:
That's my problem with it. But it's just my opinion.

I can see that argument, but if the original news stories had race in the headline, then it seems reasonable for the followup to do the same, if for no other reason to tie the stories together.

Curious as to what headline you would have used?
Old 10-01-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I can see that argument, but if the original news stories had race in the headline, then it seems reasonable for the followup to do the same, if for no other reason to tie the stories together.

Some original news stories had race in the headline, and some didn't. The original Daily Beast headline, which was the story used for raising the issue in this thread, said:

Sixth-Grade Boys Allegedly Attack, Cut Girl’s ‘Ugly’ Dreadlocks at Private Christian School

And the Daily Beast's new headline, after discovering that the story was fake, is:

Sixth-Grade Girl Apologizes for Falsely Claiming Boys Attacked Her and Cut Off Her Dreadlocks

Seems reasonable to me, on both counts.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Imagine the same headline with black and white left out. Anyway, that's all the arguing over my opinion that I feel like engaging in right now.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Some original news stories had race in the headline, and some didn't. The original Daily Beast headline, which was the story used for raising the issue in this thread, said:

Sixth-Grade Boys Allegedly Attack, Cut Girl’s ‘Ugly’ Dreadlocks at Private Christian School

And the Daily Beast's new headline, after discovering that the story was fake, is:

Sixth-Grade Girl Apologizes for Falsely Claiming Boys Attacked Her and Cut Off Her Dreadlocks

Seems reasonable to me, on both counts.
I agree and slink away, somewhat abashed.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:57 AM

Pubbies, what sly scamps you are!

"RNC solicited money for Trump’s reelection with forms that look like the census"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ficial-census/
Quote:
Officials in Montana are warning residents for the second time this year about surveys sent by the Republican National Committee that mimic the look of federal census forms, with the goal of soliciting money for President Trump’s reelection campaign.

The mailers are labeled “2019 Congressional District Census” and inform recipients that they’ve been “selected to represent Voters” in Bozeman, Mont. The accompanying literature makes repeated requests for donations, urging recipients to send at least $15 to “help pay for the costs of processing [the] Census Document” if they are unable to afford an amount in the requested range of $25 to $1,000.

After the documents landed in mailboxes across four Montana counties, state officials put out a warning about the “imitation Census survey.” In a Friday news release, the Montana Department of Commerce reminded residents that legitimate census survey documents are postmarked from the U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Census Bureau, rather than political groups, and never ask for money.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Some months ago on the main page of this very site there was a shove poll* disguised as an opinion poll. Every question was on the order of:
Which party do you trust to come up with a better health plan for our great nation?
  • Republicans
  • Lying Democrats
I wish I was kidding but I am not. Every single question had the choice of Republican or [pejorative] Democrat, just in case the respondent was a little slow. It looked like something out of The Onion.

Like the phony census forms, it asked for money to "process" the poll and you had to submit an email address to "validate" it. I checked off Ds all the way down and declined to send them any money but sent the address as suckmydickdonnie@[my domain].com

So far, it has not been used to ask for any follow-ups.

*It's like a push poll but much more insistent.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:

"RNC solicited money for Trump’s reelection with forms that look like the census"
If that's not HIGHLY illegal, it sure as shit should be.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
If that's not HIGHLY illegal, it sure as shit should be.
I expect the next Republican "fundraising" campaign will be to send people directly to your house:

"Nice house you got here. It would be a shame if anything happened to it."
<flicks lighter>

"Now you might be interested in our little fundraising campaign here. How much can I put you down for?"
<pushes vase off shelf> "Oh dear. Ya gotta watch that. Things break easily, you know?"
Old 10-01-2019, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
I expect the next Republican "fundraising" campaign will be to send people directly to your house:

"Nice house you got here. It would be a shame if anything happened to it."
<flicks lighter>

"Now you might be interested in our little fundraising campaign here. How much can I put you down for?"
<pushes vase off shelf> "Oh dear. Ya gotta watch that. Things break easily, you know?"
They better be careful in stand-your-ground states.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:

Wait, the WP is just now reporting this? I've been getting these stupid things for months. The most recent one (received last Friday) says "FINAL NOTICE". I hope to Christ they're at least not lying about that.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:14 PM

The Virginia state legislator whose campaign ad said she was going to "shoot down" her opponents has been kicked out of the state Party after campaigning for a Tea Party candidate against her county's Sheriff and falsely claiming that the Republican Sheriff supports a sanctuary county. She also swore at a state Capitol police officer over a parking space, and called the state Senate clerk "Miss Piggy".
https://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/...blican-sheriff
Old 10-02-2019, 02:19 PM

Party of Family Values!
Old 10-02-2019, 11:37 PM

Breaking News! Breaking News! Breaking News!
Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman claim that, tomorrow, they will be having a press conference where they will produce a 24-year-old former Marine who claims he has been in a sexual relationship with Elizabeth Warren.
How is this a bad thing?
And what happened to their announcement of the name of the Whistleblower that they were supposed to have, when was it, yesterday?
BTW, isn't Jacob Wohl wanted for a felony in California?
https://twitter.com/goldengateblond/...44823868485633

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; 10-02-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

"...the conscious of the nation..."

Why is it that these people have so much difficulty using the very language that they insist should be spoken by everyone in the country?
Old 10-03-2019, 04:33 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
"...the conscious of the nation..."

Why is it that these people have so much difficulty using the very language that they insist should be spoken by everyone in the country?

They're ignorami?
Old 10-03-2019, 04:54 AM

MAGA Activist Karyn Turk Pleads Guilty to Social Security Fraud After Stealing From Her Mother

Roger Stone supporter Karyn Turk stole over $17,000 in SS money from her mother, who is suffering from dementia.

She seems nice.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman claim that, tomorrow, they will be having a press conference where they will produce a 24-year-old former Marine who claims he has been in a sexual relationship with Elizabeth Warren.
How is this a bad thing?
And what happened to their announcement of the name of the Whistleblower that they were supposed to have, when was it, yesterday?
BTW, isn't Jacob Wohl wanted for a felony in California?
https://twitter.com/goldengateblond/...44823868485633
I'm sure this will go as well as all their other press conferences where their witness failed to turn up and may not actually exist. Remember the model in Switzerland?

Let's hope they at least remember to zip up their flies this time.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hell, more power to her if she's 70 years old and she's banging Marines.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, please, FSM, let one or both of them go on stage with his fly open again. The jokes would just write themselves....
Old 10-03-2019, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
This! Hell, she should run an ad about it touting her support for our troops!
Old 10-03-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
This! Hell, she should run an ad about it touting her support for our troops!
As a fellow old lady, "I'll have what she's having."

On a serious note:

U.S. Government Plans to Collect DNA From Detained Immigrants
Quote:
The Trump administration is moving to collect DNA samples from hundreds of thousands of people booked into federal immigration custody each year and to enter the results into a national criminal database, an immense expansion of the use of technology to enforce the nation’s immigration laws.

Senior officials at the Department of Homeland Security said Wednesday that the Justice Department was developing a federal regulation that would give immigration officers the authority to collect DNA in detention facilities across the country that are currently holding more than 40,000 people.

The move would funnel thousands of new records to the F.B.I., whose extensive DNA database has been limited mainly to genetic markers collected from people who have been arrested, charged or convicted in connection with serious crimes.

There have long been calls to collect immigrant DNA records to help identify criminals who have previously been in immigration custody but may not otherwise be known to the authorities. Congress passed a law authorizing a broad collection of DNA data in 2005, but at the time an exemption was put in place to protect immigrants.

A homeland security official said in a call with reporters on Wednesday that the exemption was outdated, and that it was time to eliminate it.

Immigrant and privacy advocates said the move raised privacy concerns for an already vulnerable population. The new rules would allow the government to collect DNA from children as well as those who seek asylum at legal ports of entry.
Yeah! Time we got the goods on those murdering, thieving, drug-pushing toddlers!

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 10-03-2019 at 10:10 AM.