Old 11-25-2018, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
By any chance, do you know the precise legal standard for variation in the signature?
"Exact match", which is subject to interpretation, as in the match must be microscopic for someone whose signature starts Tyrone or Juanita.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Brian Kemp disenfranchised no one, unless you believe the law itself is disenfranchising. In which case your issue is with Georgia law, not Brian Kemp.
Do you really think he had no latitude in who to expunge? Or that it was entirely within the law for him to disqualify hundreds of thousands (literally) of people on the false grounds that they fell within his discretion to do so?

No, friend, the problem is with your party, and its putting its own pursuit of power above the interests of the nation and of the principles of democracy itself, and with the number of its adherents who are willing to excuse it and even look for ways to justify it. But there are still many of us who do still take that stuff seriously, and many historians who can show you what has happened elsewhere when the devotees of democracy have been overcome by the tribalists.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
...and even look for ways to justify it.....
They've already got that, had it for years. "Voter fraud". They know to their bones that they are the majority, so the only way Dems can win is by cheating. Fix the cheating, and then they win them all.

GeeDubya lit a fire under US Attorney's asses to get out there and bust that voter fraud. Trouble was, you will recall, being that there wasn't any. A dim view would be that they knew it was bullshit. The dimmer view, which I hold, is that they totally believed it. Except maybe for the guys they sent to bust the unicorn smugglers. They caught on pretty quick.

Democrats and a vast, secret, complex conspiracy. Miss Manners gets a death metal tattoo on her face. Sure. Right. You bet.

So, anyway, both sides do it. They're just getting their own back. Which is totally fair, because they are the majority and are supposed to win.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
The Fed needs to send people down there to monitor elections.
I think federal election rules should be the same for all states. Same rules (including early voting rules) and same counting machines.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
"Exact match", which is subject to interpretation, as in the match must be microscopic for someone whose signature starts Tyrone or Juanita. ....
I don't think Georgia's "exact match" law is about comparing signatures.

https://www.politifact.com/georgia/a...ct-voters-gov/
Old 11-26-2018, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

My question was meant to underscore the subjective nature of "signature matching". "Exact match" is as good a way of describing it as any, because there is no stated and precise criteria, it is a matter of the judgement of the election worker. What is the precise legal definition? There isn't one.

Quote:
...Wednesday’s order is undoubtedly a step in the right direction that restricts Georgia’s limitless discretion to void votes on the basis of amateur handwriting analysis. But this entire case illustrates the danger of signature mismatch laws, even those modified to comport with the Constitution....
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-mismatch.html
Old 11-26-2018, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Oh, and BTW, I DARE Democrats in Congress to go on record voting against voter ID. That would be awesome.
Almost all states do now, and have for some time, required some way to establish identity and residency. The concern is requiring people to find original birth certificates, claiming that signatures and names on a voter registration card must be an "exact" match with signatures and names on other forms of identification. These are attempts to make voter registration more time consuming and more difficult.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Apropos of nothing, those two Giuliani associates arrested for campaign finance violations just happened to make the trip from Ukraine to Florida just in time to give DeSantis a big election-night hug.

There's enough threads about Trump and Giuliani working to destroy American sovereignty on the Federal level, but I thought that participants in this thread would be interested to know that the same foreign agents are working on the State level as well. And who knows how many other GOP governors and non-Presidents are involved with these two... or similar?

Quote:
The photos, shot by a Tampa Bay Times photographer, show an unmistakable ease between DeSantis and the two men, enough to warrant celebratory hugs.

Still unclear is why these men dropped $50,000 into DeSantis’ campaign account a day before he was endorsed by Trump. In a federal indictment, prosecutors alleged political favors were tied to contributions Parnas and Fruman made in Texas and that they illegally used foreign cash for donations in Nevada.
(Emphasis mine, JT)

Last edited by JohnT; 10-18-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
There's enough threads about Trump and Giuliani working to destroy American sovereignty on the Federal level, but I thought that participants in this thread would be interested to know that the same foreign agents are working on the State level as well.
Honestly dude, I'm not surprised.

On topic, say what you will about Florida ballots, know that all of us kids these days know how to fill out a Scantron. You can't pass first grade without filling out Scantrons. We've made great strides in our electoral system, at least on the technological side. Administration? Eh.

I hope my county has its #@%$ together next year. My new elections supervisor... he's something else. He "has a long and proven history of contempt for the common voter" as I remember my local newspaper put it. I think we were sued for violating the Voting Rights Act last year. I wonder how that turned out.

~Max