Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #39401  
Old 10-24-2018, 07:21 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
Couldn't they just go put their piece in their car for the duration? Seems like a pretty ineffective way to suppress votes, as these things go.
Many polling stations are in schools, so bringing a gun onto the property, even in the parking lot, would be illegal.

But, it's the party of law and order, so of course, laws don't apply to them.
  #39402  
Old 10-24-2018, 07:28 PM
Jack Batty's Avatar
Jack Batty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Astral Plane.
Posts: 15,625
Am I trying to be too clever or has all humor drained from this thread.

I'm only half-joking that a devious little Democrat could start an effective whisper campaign among his more Second Amendment leaning conservative brethren that you're not even allowed to bring your god-given rightfully bought and paid for personal defense devise with you in the polling place! How goddamned un-American is that? I'd boycott polling places until you're allowed to legally carry inside them.


Or maybe this goddamned Red Sox/Dodgers series thing is making me crazy.
(I'm not even that big a sports fan, but this is damned exciting)
  #39403  
Old 10-24-2018, 07:37 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 13,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
Am I trying to be too clever or has all humor drained from this thread.

I'm only half-joking that a devious little Democrat could start an effective whisper campaign among his more Second Amendment leaning conservative brethren that you're not even allowed to bring your god-given rightfully bought and paid for personal defense devise with you in the polling place! How goddamned un-American is that? I'd boycott polling places until you're allowed to legally carry inside them.


Or maybe this goddamned Red Sox/Dodgers series thing is making me crazy.
(I'm not even that big a sports fan, but this is damned exciting)
Meh, I think I'm just oversensitive about guns. Which is weird, because I haven't ever even been shot. Which is a little like being critical of a movie without having watched it - which is something I don't like doing. I'm such a hypocrite.
  #39404  
Old 10-24-2018, 08:09 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,608
She is the pinnacle of paranoia. There was an “incident” of some scary-black guys loitering outside an urban polling place, so she wants to be able to walk in confident that she will be able to plug them if they so much as say hello to her. She wants to never have to be separated from her metal penis, because it is dangerous out there, in some world that she apparently never goes into.
  #39405  
Old 10-24-2018, 08:21 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 27,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
It's illegal here in Tennessee. There was a sign on the wall stating so when I voted yesterday. But no one would know if it was concealed, you know, just in case a progressive does.....something.
I hear that progressives and liberals are both at their most dangerous in a polling place. Word is that they feel emboldened enough to vote in such an environment.
  #39406  
Old 10-24-2018, 08:42 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
She is the pinnacle of paranoia. There was an “incident” of some scary-black guys loitering outside an urban polling place, so she wants to be able to walk in confident that she will be able to plug them if they so much as say hello to her. She wants to never have to be separated from her metal penis, because it is dangerous out there, in some world that she apparently never goes into.
So, what happens if there is a shooting at the polling place? Obviously, victims and perpetrators can be dealt with legally, and it can be decided later who was standing who's ground, but what about all the people who went there to vote?

There is no way that such wouldn't be disruptive, but how long would they shut the polls down for, especially if there any fatalities? How many people would avoid going to the polls if they hear about shootings?
  #39407  
Old 10-24-2018, 09:10 PM
JB99 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
So, what happens if there is a shooting at the polling place? Obviously, victims and perpetrators can be dealt with legally, and it can be decided later who was standing who's ground, but what about all the people who went there to vote?

There is no way that such wouldn't be disruptive, but how long would they shut the polls down for, especially if there any fatalities? How many people would avoid going to the polls if they hear about shootings?
This is, in fact, a genuine problem in many parts of the world where violence and threats of violence disparage people from participating.
  #39408  
Old 10-24-2018, 11:01 PM
John_Stamos'_Left_Ear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
NRA spokescreature Dana Loesch says NRA supporters should bring their guns to the polls to protect themselves from progressives. What are progressives going to do?
Imagine how Fox News would have reacted had the scary black man that they were obsessed with at a polling station in Philadelphia in 2012 been armed?
  #39409  
Old 10-24-2018, 11:14 PM
elucidator is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,120
Hey! He had a stick! What? No stick, that was the other guys? Well, OK, but he was standing there!

"Lurking with intent to loom", in the words of "Spider" John Koerner.
  #39410  
Old 10-25-2018, 08:58 PM
Fiveyearlurker is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,823
A majority Hispanic town in Kansas moved their polling place which had been the same for over 20 years out of town nearly a mile away from the nearest bus stop. And then just in case some could still make it, they sent them the wrong address to vote. I'm sure it's a misunderstanding.

Last edited by Fiveyearlurker; 10-25-2018 at 08:58 PM.
  #39411  
Old 10-25-2018, 09:07 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 11,063
Let's not forget what happened in 2016:

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...-office-for-12

Quote:
An man exposed his firearm while standing outside a Democratic U.S. House candidate's office for 12 hours on Thursday, CBS 19 reported.
Quote:
While Dittmar volunteers said that they don't challenge Parks's right to a peaceful armed protest, they called it an act of intimidation.

"If he wants to support his candidate that's fine, but don't come here and stare into the office all day," said volunteer Su Wolff.

"He turned sideways to be sure that we would see that he has an open carry gun, which is legal, and is fine, but it's intimidating."
Like I said, these fuckers love to intimidate people. They assume that they're tougher, and that people will just back down. Maybe it's time progressives start becoming NRA members, get CCW training, and make a few AR-15 purchases of their own.

Last edited by asahi; 10-25-2018 at 09:08 PM.
  #39412  
Old 10-25-2018, 09:21 PM
elucidator is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,120
Absitively, posolutely......no!
  #39413  
Old 10-25-2018, 09:36 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
A majority Hispanic town in Kansas moved their polling place which had been the same for over 20 years out of town nearly a mile away from the nearest bus stop. And then just in case some could still make it, they sent them the wrong address to vote. I'm sure it's a misunderstanding.
Everything wants to get hell outta Dodge. But not to the east, where they have that scenic overlook – beautiful view of the stockyards.
  #39414  
Old 10-25-2018, 11:41 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,503
Newt Gingrich says that if the Democrats take the House and subpoena Trump's records, it will go to the Supreme Court, and 'We'll see whether or not the Kavanaugh fight was worth it'.

That was the whole reason for the nomination fight.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...=.b30fef85ed3e
  #39415  
Old 10-26-2018, 06:51 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 11,063
In a NY Times article, Former Fed Chair, Paul Volcker, has echoed essentially the same concerns and observations I've discussed here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/23/b...l-reserve.html

Quote:
“And it’s really bad. At least the military still has all the respect. But I don’t know, how can you run a democracy when nobody believes in the leadership of the country?”
As I said a while ago, there's nothing wrong with respecting the military, but when people in a democracy have more faith in the military than they do in their own ability to produce quality legislators, that's really, really dangerous. Such a democracy is unsustainable. The temptation for the plutocratically-inclined government to politicize the military and to use it as a hammer to reinforce its rule becomes greater and greater over time.

Quote:
“There is no force on earth that can stand up effectively, year after year, against the thousands of individuals and hundreds of millions of dollars in the Washington swamp aimed at influencing the legislative and electoral process,” he wrote in the book.
Exactly - glad someone of his stature gets it, and is talking about it openly. But unfortunately most people under the age of 50 don't even know who Paul Volcker is, or care.

But back to his point, the money interests are being used to corrode whatever faith in government is left. The plutocrats want to corrupt government so that people become convinced that the government can't solve their problems, so that ordinary middle class people conclude that it's a waste of time to regard regulation and distribution of public services as having any sort of personal benefit. That's not the end of it or the worst of it, though: eventually, the government, under the control of plutocrats, transitions from plutocracy to kleptocracy. The government, the public tax revenue, becomes another income stream; it becomes a publicly-funded piggy bank that the plutocrats (kleptocrats) can raid, further engendering a generation of suspicion and doubt about the government's ability to do good for the people who fund it through taxation. Initially, the theft of public money is somewhat subtle, but it becomes more obvious and more brazen. As people begin to notice and question and protest, the kleptocrats realize that some intimidation tactics are required. The first thing they will do is to attack your right to criticize and protest.

Quote:
The central issue is we’re developing into a plutocracy,” he told me. “We’ve got an enormous number of enormously rich people that have convinced themselves that they’re rich because they’re smart and constructive. And they don’t like government, and they don’t like to pay taxes.”
So much this. ^

And what's more, they don't intend to pay taxes - because taxes are for little people. They're going to continue rigging the economy so that they take the lion's share of the wealth during times of economic expansion, and the rest of us bear the brunt of the losses during economic contraction. They will get rich off of explosive growth in the stock market. They'll cash out. They'll buy up property that you rent and they'll become your landlords. But they'll make you pay for their losses through your taxes.

Quote:
Schools like the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard and the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs at Princeton, he said, have failed to educate a new generation of civil servants.
Our society has talked a lot about the failures of education at the K-12 level, but the reality is that higher ed is turning out people who are increasingly ignorant and unschooled in critical areas. Americans enter public service - coming from our elite schools in some cases - unable to govern. The focus over the past 20-30 years has gone from knowing how to perform in a bureaucracy to learning more about how to become influential, how to become a policy wonk and find a job at some think tank and spread influence. As is so often the case, higher ed figures out how their graduates can become 'successful' alumni and steer them in the direction of job hunting and career building, guiding their graduates to find ways to fit into the economy of our current political system, even if that system is utterly failing at safeguarding democracy for future generations.
  #39416  
Old 10-26-2018, 07:31 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Newt Gingrich says that if the Democrats take the House and subpoena Trump's records, it will go to the Supreme Court, and 'We'll see whether or not the Kavanaugh fight was worth it'.

That was the whole reason for the nomination fight.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...=.b30fef85ed3e

I'm sure I don't know what he means. Mr. Trump himself has noted that Justice Kavanaugh was a sound and most importantly impartial litigator !
__________________
--- ---
Assume I'm right and you're wrong - we'll both save a lot of time.
  #39417  
Old 10-26-2018, 07:33 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Like I said, these fuckers love to intimidate people. They assume that they're tougher, and that people will just back down. Maybe it's time progressives start becoming NRA members, get CCW training, and make a few AR-15 purchases of their own.

But do be careful not to be black if doing so. Ask the Black Panthers why.
__________________
--- ---
Assume I'm right and you're wrong - we'll both save a lot of time.
  #39418  
Old 10-26-2018, 08:54 AM
Fiveyearlurker is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Newt Gingrich says that if the Democrats take the House and subpoena Trump's records, it will go to the Supreme Court, and 'We'll see whether or not the Kavanaugh fight was worth it'.

That was the whole reason for the nomination fight.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...=.b30fef85ed3e
At least they are now saying the quiet part loudly.
  #39419  
Old 10-26-2018, 12:17 PM
John_Stamos'_Left_Ear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Maybe it's time progressives start becoming NRA members, get CCW training, and make a few AR-15 purchases of their own.
I know many liberal gun owners. Not many are members of the NRA though.
  #39420  
Old 10-26-2018, 12:27 PM
JB99 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 870
Just voted for everyone with a D by their name. Because fuck all Republicans and everything they believe in.
  #39421  
Old 10-26-2018, 12:55 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 13,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Like I said, these fuckers love to intimidate people. They assume that they're tougher, and that people will just back down. Maybe it's time progressives start becoming NRA members, get CCW training, and make a few AR-15 purchases of their own.
Okay, so this is a horrifying thought on a number of levels, but I suppose it's still worth asking - how do you imagine this will help? Do you imagine that this will intimidate the MAGAts right back? Convince them to back down, put their guns aside, and start behaving like people who aren't cowards?

Because I think that they'd feel threatened and feel the need to present their toughness even harder to 'stay on top'.
  #39422  
Old 10-26-2018, 02:27 PM
Steve MB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 13,455
Quick! Change the subject!!

Quote:
Rep. Martha McSally (R-AZ), the Arizona GOP's candidate for Senate, recently joined the growing ranks of Republicans who are now trying to pretend they care about preserving health coverage for people with pre-existing conditions.
But when a reporter caught up with McSally and cornered her on her lie, her response was revealing.
"Dennis, can we please talk about the things that matter to most voters, instead of repeating the Arizona Democrat Party press releases?" she said. She added, "Do you have anything to talk about like the caravan or job opportunities?"...
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
  #39423  
Old 10-26-2018, 02:46 PM
foolsguinea is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 15,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Exactly - glad someone of his stature gets it, and is talking about it openly. But unfortunately most people under the age of 50 don't even know who Paul Volcker is, or care.
I'm under 50, and I know his name. He was part of the plutocracy himself, going back to the 1970's.
  #39424  
Old 10-26-2018, 05:18 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,503
After the ACLU filed a lawsuit against the county clerk where Dodge City, KS is located because the only polling place in town was moved out of the city limits and more than a mile from the nearest bus stop, the official in charge forwarded a copy of the suit to Kris Kobach, the Kansas Secretary of State who is the leader in vote suppression, with the comment, "LOL".
https://twitter.com/jonshorman/statu...63073603489792
  #39425  
Old 10-26-2018, 11:08 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,503
There's an ad from incumbent Republican Congressman Jeff Denham attacking his Democratic opponent for joining with Nancy Pelosi to steal "our" Congressional seat.
  #39426  
Old 10-27-2018, 06:53 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 11,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
Okay, so this is a horrifying thought on a number of levels, but I suppose it's still worth asking - how do you imagine this will help? Do you imagine that this will intimidate the MAGAts right back? Convince them to back down, put their guns aside, and start behaving like people who aren't cowards?

Because I think that they'd feel threatened and feel the need to present their toughness even harder to 'stay on top'.
What's horrifying about it? There's nothing illegal or immoral about legal firearms ownership. I'm a gun control advocate myself, but until this society is ready for change, it seems reasonable to keep the option of self-defense on the table.

I don't necessarily think being armed or sporting an NRA sticker is going to intimidate a MAGAbot - nor do I care to. It just sends the message that there might be easier people to mess with. Hell, they might even identify with you as a gun owner - what's wrong with that?
  #39427  
Old 10-27-2018, 07:00 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 11,063
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.d06a15c024df

Meanwhile, despite the suspected bomber's arrest, it's the conspiracy theory Olympiad on Planet Republican.

So that's where we're at now as a country. A major political party tries unashamedly to rig democracy while hatching conspiracy theories that portray the opposition party as a danger to the country. Someone acts on these theories, is arrested, and now the majority party claims that it's a conspiracy, further fueling the instability.
  #39428  
Old 10-27-2018, 07:43 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,503
Ann Coulter calls for an invasion of Mexico.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...055bc948c1aed?
  #39429  
Old 10-27-2018, 07:59 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 16,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Ann Coulter calls for an invasion of Mexico.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...055bc948c1aed?
Ummm...why?
__________________
"Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out." --Václav Havel
  #39430  
Old 10-27-2018, 08:06 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Ummm...why?
To keep the caravan from reaching the border.
  #39431  
Old 10-27-2018, 08:14 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Ummm...why?
Make them pay for a wall, to keep us out.
  #39432  
Old 10-27-2018, 08:28 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Ann Coulter calls for an invasion of Mexico.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...055bc948c1aed?
Of all the idiotic things these Trump-supporting lowlifes pretend to believe in, the idea that "the caravan" represents an actual threat to the USA has to be the most ludicrous.

However do Coulter et al pretend otherwise with straight faces? What acting talent! Truly they've all missed their callings.
  #39433  
Old 10-27-2018, 08:55 PM
Tangent's Avatar
Tangent is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Cowtown
Posts: 10,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Ummm...why?
Because she's a crazy bitch.
  #39434  
Old 10-27-2018, 09:17 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 16,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Because she's a crazy bitch.
Ah. I get that.
__________________
"Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out." --Václav Havel
  #39435  
Old 10-27-2018, 10:21 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 9,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
...
So that's where we're at now as a country. A major political party tries unashamedly to rig democracy while hatching conspiracy theories that portray the opposition party as a danger to the country...
What are they supposed to do? Talk about the truth? They're fucking Republicans. They simply are unable to do that. Truth, reality- they're not big fans. In fact, they're quite opposed.
  #39436  
Old 10-27-2018, 10:32 PM
Muffin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Great White North
Posts: 20,673
To go after the false flag mail bombers who are marching across Mexico on their way to invade the U.S. of A. don't 'cha know.
  #39437  
Old 10-28-2018, 12:27 AM
smithsb's Avatar
smithsb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: mid-Pacific
Posts: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Because she's a crazy bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Ah. I get that.
She is not crazy. She knows exactly what she is doing and who she is appealing to. In normal interactions, she's considered fine/normal. Any type of event or interaction that might be recorded, she switches into inflammatory mode.

It's about money, keeping the speaking engagements, book deals, staying in the spotlight. She called Trump the worst dealmaker ever before he hijacked her audience. The tune changed and will change with the wind.
__________________
M.A.G.A. - Morans Are Governing America
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/get-a-brain-morans
  #39438  
Old 10-28-2018, 02:18 AM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Ummm...why?
Once we annex Mexico and subject its people to American rule, Mexicans won't be able to sneak into our country anymore. It's a foolproof plan!
  #39439  
Old 10-28-2018, 08:51 AM
DoctorJ is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Eastern Kentucky
Posts: 6,521
A couple of homers from this week's World Series of Right-Wing Butthurt:

--Kentucky governor and megadouche Matt Bevin takes to video to ask what has happened to civility in America, because someone made a mean comment about him and the President on Facebook. He calls this person out by name, as well as everyone who liked the comment. Because in a week with the MAGAbomber and with the Kroger shooting in his own state, he wants us to be clear about who the real victim is.

--A man in Owensboro posted on FB about how the "so-called 'Tolerant Left'" harassed him and his kids about their Halloween costumes at a local event. You'll never guess what they were dressed as.
  #39440  
Old 10-28-2018, 09:12 AM
enipla is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post
--A man in Owensboro posted on FB about how the "so-called 'Tolerant Left'" harassed him and his kids about their Halloween costumes at a local event. You'll never guess what they were dressed as.
He probably wears that get up around the house. His 'Sunday best'.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #39441  
Old 10-28-2018, 09:14 AM
JB99 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post

--A man in Owensboro posted on FB about how the "so-called 'Tolerant Left'" harassed him and his kids about their Halloween costumes at a local event. You'll never guess what they were dressed as.
As if he wasn’t trolling for precisely that reaction.

“Let’s do something hateful and outrageous and provocative and then criticize the predictable and obvious response.”
  #39442  
Old 10-28-2018, 09:27 AM
Shoeless's Avatar
Shoeless is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Sunflower State
Posts: 6,903
It's amazing how 15-20 years ago there was this huge outcry from Republicans about violent video games, violent Hollywood movies, and how they were influencing people to go out and commit actual violence. Now we have Republicans (and their propaganda media wing) spreading messages of hatred and violence, yet when something like the pipe bomber or the synagogue shooter happens, well that's not their fault!
  #39443  
Old 10-28-2018, 09:41 AM
ohiomstr2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB99 View Post
Just voted for everyone with a D by their name. Because fuck all Republicans and everything they believe in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
He is nothing but a senile, vile piece of shit. He cannot function without his aides whispering in his ear what he is supposed to say. Our country is run by senile people that should've retired 1-2 decades ago.
Late to the party as usual

Hatch was the speaker at my college graduation in 1981. His speech was about graduating students duty to do some kind of government duty (this idea was current at the time) after graduation to pay their dues to society.

This speech was given before 800 or so folks graduating from a school specifically designed for working adults, many of whom were veterans and\or active duty military, worked for the Federal Government or were otherwise paying their "dues".

My point is that conservative capacity for being oblivious and stupid is nothing new or surprising. They have always been about acquiring and keeping power by any means. Virtually every word spoken by individuals like Hatch are a dodge and a lie, not spoken from ignorance, spoken as deliberate evasion
  #39444  
Old 10-28-2018, 10:49 AM
Steve McQwark is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post

--A man in Owensboro posted on FB about how the "so-called 'Tolerant Left'" harassed him and his kids about their Halloween costumes at a local event. You'll never guess what they were dressed as.
There's a part of my brain that refuses to accept that this is anything other than an Onion article. No one other than a drunken frat boy could ever do anything like that, right? Right? Unfortunately, that part of my brain has been getting smaller and smaller over the last several years as it is squashed under the awful truth that, yes, real people can be that horrible.
  #39445  
Old 10-28-2018, 10:53 AM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsb View Post
She is not crazy. She knows exactly what she is doing and who she is appealing to. In normal interactions, she's considered fine/normal. Any type of event or interaction that might be recorded, she switches into inflammatory mode.

It's about money, keeping the speaking engagements, book deals, staying in the spotlight. She called Trump the worst dealmaker ever before he hijacked her audience. The tune changed and will change with the wind.
Still a bitch though, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post
A couple of homers from this week's World Series of Right-Wing Butthurt:

--Kentucky governor and megadouche Matt Bevin takes to video to ask what has happened to civility in America, because someone made a mean comment about him and the President on Facebook. He calls this person out by name, as well as everyone who liked the comment. Because in a week with the MAGAbomber and with the Kroger shooting in his own state, he wants us to be clear about who the real victim is.
Hey, when I punch people in the face, there is not nearly enough concern about what happens to my fist.
Quote:
--A man in Owensboro posted on FB about how the "so-called 'Tolerant Left'" harassed him and his kids about their Halloween costumes at a local event. You'll never guess what they were dressed as.
Actually guessed that on the first try.

Though, from the article, does this seem a bit problematic to you, anyway?

Quote:
his family attended the Trail of Treats in Owensboro Thursday night.
Maybe I'm just a bit sensitive to the subject, but that seems a rather insensitive play on words. Not that it is exclusive to Owensboro, a quick google finds that this is used all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
It's amazing how 15-20 years ago there was this huge outcry from Republicans about violent video games, violent Hollywood movies, and how they were influencing people to go out and commit actual violence. Now we have Republicans (and their propaganda media wing) spreading messages of hatred and violence, yet when something like the pipe bomber or the synagogue shooter happens, well that's not their fault!
If violence in entertainment desensitizes people to violence, then what does dehumanization of your political enemies do?
  #39446  
Old 10-28-2018, 11:32 AM
DoctorJ is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Eastern Kentucky
Posts: 6,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
He probably wears that get up around the house. His 'Sunday best'.
His SS uniform is awfully nice for a Halloween costume. Money was spent.

And I agree, "Trail of Treats" is not OK. One of the routes of the Trail of Tears went through western Kentucky, not too far from Owensboro, IIRC.

Last edited by DoctorJ; 10-28-2018 at 11:35 AM.
  #39447  
Old 10-28-2018, 11:52 AM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post

Maybe I'm just a bit sensitive to the subject, but that seems a rather insensitive play on words. Not that it is exclusive to Owensboro, a quick google finds that this is used all over the place.
Wow. Maybe the guy just thought he was doing what you were supposed to, come dressed as your favorite genocidal perpetrator.
  #39448  
Old 10-28-2018, 03:14 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,503
Kevin McCarthy calls out three Jews (though he did not identify them as such) for funding the Democrats.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0d38b58842c96
  #39449  
Old 10-28-2018, 03:30 PM
enipla is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Wow. Maybe the guy just thought he was doing what you were supposed to, come dressed as your favorite genocidal perpetrator.
Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't think anyone can be as tone deaf as this asshole. Well, let's put him at 2nd place.

He claims it's fine to dress as Freddy or Jason, so why not dress as historical figures.

Uhhuu… REAL historical figures. Just like Jason or Freddy or Zombies are historical figures.

Fucker has a Lugar in his nightstand, you know it.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #39450  
Old 10-28-2018, 03:49 PM
JB99 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 870
If I hear some bigot sarcastically bitch about the “tolerant left” one more time, I think I’m going to scream. These fuckwits have shit between their ears.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017