Old 01-03-2019, 07:43 PM

Turns out Qanon is the Joh Lithgow character from Footloose.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
Here is a link to the full video on YouTube - uploaded in September 2010 by the BU student who produced the video mashup of the Brat Pack movie dance scenes.

I love that the original Tweet called it a high school video of AOC - he never read the YouTube description.

I guess congresswomen aren't allowed to dance in college - or something like that...
She and Beto ought to get together and revive their high school performing personae.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:17 PM

I wish I'd been half as confident, attractive, or cool in college as Ocasio-Cortez is in that video. I have absolutely no idea how that video was supposed to be derogatory. What, like we're opposed to enthusiastic and happy young people dancing? I guess she'll lose the support of the Southern Baptists now, but otherwise?
Old 01-03-2019, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
I wish I'd been half as confident, attractive, or cool in college as Ocasio-Cortez is in that video. I have absolutely no idea how that video was supposed to be derogatory. What, like we're opposed to enthusiastic and happy young people dancing? I guess she'll lose the support of the Southern Baptists now, but otherwise?
Lemme just check the demographics of her district for Southern Baptists.....

Oh my, 68! That may spell trouble for her. Wait. Wait. Oh, that's 68, not 68%. Well okay then.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Oh, no, the rightwingnuts are outraged because there's a video of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez ... dancing.
Shudder.
https://twitter.com/AnonymousQ1776/s...94276831047680
They just found that? I saw that months ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
But is she wearing a tan suit?
AOC, dancing in a tan suit? Reddit would break. Even the Trump worshippers want her.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, no, the rightwingnuts are outraged because there's a video of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez ... dancing.
Shudder.
https://twitter.com/AnonymousQ1776/s...94276831047680
And the mic drops on them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Griffin
This is cool...do you have a video of what Brett Kavanaugh was doing in high school?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if AOC isn't some sort of 4D chess move by...

...Nancy Pelosi.

Think about it. AOC's election has:
1. Removed a potential (albeit unlikely) threat to Pelosi's Speakership in Crowley.
2. She makes the GOP go ape-shit just by existing. She makes a scene, the GOP stares in disbelief and NP gets some shit done while they're distracted.
2a. She has the side benefit that the GOP's slams against her look sexist, racist, and ageist. This gives the Dems an in with the younger crowd generally and independents in particular.
3. (This is the high-wire act) AOC gives the Dems progressive cred and as long as she is seen to be taken even semi-seriously, the progressives will stay more or less in the fold. The balance is that they can't ignore her completely or the Bernie Bro effect kicks in and the progressives revolt and thus guarantee 4 more years of Trump and the GOP's continued control of the country - which at this point might be the last election the progressives get to vote in.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
And the mic drops on them:
That is beautiful.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:10 PM

Mitch McConnell -- one-trick pony

"McConnell Faces Pressure From Republicans to Stop Avoiding Shutdown Fight"
https://nyti.ms/2Ru66vf
Quote:
...After two years of trying to advance Mr. Trump’s agenda, Mr. McConnell now sees his primary job as standing in the way of Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who vowed in her inaugural speech on Thursday to “reach across the aisle in this chamber,” but who is also poised to pass legislation on a bevy of liberal priorities, including gun restrictions and protections for young undocumented immigrants.

“I think McConnell is going to be Trump’s best friend when it comes to blocking all of Nancy Pelosi’s worst shots,” said Scott Jennings, a Republican strategist who is close to Mr. McConnell.

Dusting off his Obama strategy.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:15 AM

McConnell needs to choke on his wattle and finally die.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:33 PM

Copied from Twitter
Quote:
Ryan Struyk*
‏Verified account @ryanstruyk
Jan 3

Total women in the U.S. House:

1989:
16 Democrats
13 Republicans

2019:
89 Democrats
13 Republicans
Keep it up, Pubbies! Yer doin' great!

* He's with CNN.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:33 PM

I just heard the most perfect stupid response to the shutdown from a Trump fan in an interview on MSNBC. So perfect, I had to back it up and write it down:

"If this did not affect my household directly, I would tell him to stand tall because something needs to be done. But since it does affect me and my wife, we are government employees, if this continues we will not have a paycheck. But I definitely understand where Trump is coming from."

So yeah, if it didn't hurt you, you would cheer for it hurting other people. You evil, stupid fuckwit.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:04 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
I just heard the most perfect stupid response to the shutdown from a Trump fan in an interview on MSNBC. So perfect, I had to back it up and write it down:

"If this did not affect my household directly, I would tell him to stand tall because something needs to be done. But since it does affect me and my wife, we are government employees, if this continues we will not have a paycheck. But I definitely understand where Trump is coming from."

So yeah, if it didn't hurt you, you would cheer for it hurting other people. You evil, stupid fuckwit.
That had me screaming expletives at the TV.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:21 PM

"'I never thought leopards would eat MY face,' sobs woman who voted for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party."

I don't know if this guy originated it, but he was the first Google hit, so I'll vote him: https://twitter.com/Cavalorn/status/...549620736?s=19
Old 01-05-2019, 02:58 PM

Ed Rollins, bloviating on Fox News, called AOC "little girl".
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4...he-little-girl
Old 01-05-2019, 03:15 PM

Gavin McInnes, the founder of the Proud Boys, is upset that his neighbors are putting up signs saying "Hate Has No Place Here". I wonder why he thinks they're aimed at him?
https://www.thedailybeast.com/gavin-...gns?ref=scroll
Old 01-05-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Gavin McInnes, the founder of the Proud Boys, is upset that his neighbors are putting up signs saying "Hate Has No Place Here". I wonder why he thinks they're aimed at him?
https://www.thedailybeast.com/gavin-...gns?ref=scroll
Ha. And the chickens come home to roost. I hope the stupid fuck can't find anywhere to live in the US and is forced to move to... Hmm. I don't want his kind on the planet, so I wouldn't place him anywhere or subject another country to his idiocy.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Ha. And the chickens come home to roost. I hope the stupid fuck can't find anywhere to live in the US and is forced to move to... Hmm. I don't want his kind on the planet, so I wouldn't place him anywhere or subject another country to his idiocy.
He could go back to the country he came from.
He was born in England and has Canadian citizenship.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post

I was amazed by that as well, and told my wife about it. "Sometimes I wonder if these people are actual human beings," she said.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Gavin McInnes, the founder of the Proud Boys, is upset that his neighbors are putting up signs saying "Hate Has No Place Here". I wonder why he thinks they're aimed at him?...
Quotes from that Gavin idiot from that link:
"...“I am writing on behalf of my family to ask you to reconsider whether the message of your lawn sign moves our world and our village in the direction of love at all, or whether it sends a very different message instead,” McInnes wrote in the letter, which was also obtained by HuffPost.In the letter, McInnes claims that his neighbors won’t find anything “hateful, racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic or intolerant” in “any of my expressions of my worldview.”
(Then, on his podcast: ) “If you have that sign on your lawn, you’re a fucking retard,” McInnes said.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:56 AM

An NYT article on Florida towns hit by the twin whammies of hurricane damage and the shutdown offers this quote from a Trump supporter:
Quote:
“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” she said of Mr. Trump. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”
[bolding mine]

She seems nice. Shame the leopards ate her face.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

This presidency has been looking for an excuse to take leopards (and everything else) off the endangered species list, so let them eat face.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
An NYT article on Florida towns hit by the twin whammies of hurricane damage and the shutdown offers this quote from a Trump supporter:[bolding mine]

Jesus fucking christ, how often do you see a quote so firmly display the core sociopathic tendencies of a movement? I wonder how many Trump supporters really think like that. Fucking scumbag.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
An NYT article on Florida towns hit by the twin whammies of hurricane damage and the shutdown offers this quote from a Trump supporter:[bolding mine]

(Um... the NYTimes link isn't working.)

My question: whom is thump supposed to be hurting with this shutdown?
Old 01-08-2019, 08:41 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:

Non-sTrumpets.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

This is a link. It's kind of like your link, except that this one works.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Them people what ain't real Americans.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Bah humbug.

(Thanks)
Old 01-08-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Method for discerning who "needs to be brought down a rung or two":

Step 1. Obtain a paper grocery bag...
Old 01-08-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
quote from a Trump supporter:
Quote:
“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” she said of Mr. Trump. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.
She gets the Trumpist philosophy perfectly. Life is a zero-sum game. Every dollar spent on a black or brown person is a dollar stolen from a white. Instead of inviting Mexicans to America to help our economy it's just as fulfilling to detain and torture them. Instead of visiting a dentist to repair my own teeth, it's just as useful for me to kick you in the face and knock some of your teeth out.

You see this even at SDMB. Hurricane Ditkshit and his ilk brag that "making libtards angry" is part of the justification for some Trumpist policies.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You never pass up an opportunity to state even routine things in the most dickish way possible, do you?
Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
You never pass up an opportunity to state even routine things in the most dickish way possible, do you?
Really, registering any faint trace of dickishness that may exist my comment about a story describing a Trumpist declaring "He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.", much less decarling it to be the Worst Possible Example[tm], ought to be like trying to spot fireflies after spending a full minute staring into the sun.

Last edited by Steve MB; 01-08-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Can't we try to get along? He posted a useful link with a tiny attempt at humor. If it was dickish at all, it was in the least dickish way possible.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

It was small mushroom-shaped dickery, at most.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:21 AM

OK, here's a stupid idea, were it to happen. Trump declares a national emergency, a national crisis, whatever it's called, at our southern border. What would he get from this? Funds that would otherwise not be available? Authority that would otherwise not be available? Anything?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
OK, here's a stupid idea, were it to happen. Trump declares a national emergency, a national crisis, whatever it's called, at our southern border. What would he get from this? Funds that would otherwise not be available? Authority that would otherwise not be available? Anything?
He gets to pretend he did everything he could to keep his ignorant, unnecessary, unworkable, incessant promises to build a wall and blame his utter failure to do so on someone/anyone else, as he's always done.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Yes, it would let him transfer funds from the military to do it.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Eh, it's cool. I fucked up the link by accidentally pasting in the quote instead of the URL and didn't check. No offense was taken by the reminder, and I appreciate the inclusion of the actual link.

Anyhoo. Trump. What a douche.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What would he get from this?
A few more news cycles about something other than Russia and collusion, of which there wasn't none anyhow, period.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:13 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but has he given a reason why he did not ask for the funding for the wall when he had a Republican Congress? Or did he?

-God
Old 01-08-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Yes, it would let him transfer funds from the military to do it.
And he seems to think he could use "the military version" of eminent domain then. I'm not sure if that's a real thing or not. I guess the military can commandeer some property in times of emergency, maybe? So, he seems to be envisioning the military heading to the border, taking privately owned land, and building a wall on it. I'm not worried about this, though. Republican lawmakers will surely rise up as one to block such an obvious executive overreach and unlawful seizure of private property.

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 01-08-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 PM

I believe you left off the sarcasm tags.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but has he given a reason why he did not ask for the funding for the wall when he had a Republican Congress? Or did he?
Where's the fun in that? He knew they wouldn't give it to him. Better to wait to make an unnecessary huge deal out of it when he can blame Democrats. (He did get 1.6 billion for upgrades and replacement parts of previously existing structures.)
Old 01-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
He was still using the "Mexico is gonna pay for it" line back then.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
It wasn't a national emergency for his first two years. It's gotten really bad under his watch and it's time he addressed his shortcomings.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:40 PM

‘It’s Just Too Much’: A Florida Town Grapples With a Shutdown After a Hurricane

When I ran across this article in the NY Times, I assumed it was another story about how the shutdown is affecting everyday Americans. Which it is, but this quote at the end of the story caught my eye:

Quote:
“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” she said of Mr. Trump. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”
"He's not hurting the people he needs to be hurting." A really sad commentary on the mindset of the Trump supporter.

Last edited by Railer13; 01-08-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
let them eat face.
Ha! That's grrrrreat 🐆
Old 01-08-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Them people what ain't real Americans.
You mean, like a man whose mother was a foreigner, whose wife is a foreigner, and is clumsily trying to twist US foreign policy to help his private business build a small hotel in Istanbul?
Old 01-08-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
It nationalizes the military. And then who knows what other uses he'd make of them. Start rounding up dissidents?
Old 01-08-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
It nationalizes the military. And then who knows what other uses he'd make of them. Start rounding up dissidents?
I think I know what you are trying to say here, but the military is already nationalized, I would think.

And I have enough respect for them (tired as I am of the constant "thank you for your service" any time someone mentions they are or were in the military) that I don't think they'd obey "round up" orders from Trump.

Last edited by Folacin; 01-08-2019 at 03:12 PM.