Old 09-28-2019, 06:44 PM

Knowing when to shut up

If you approach someone with the intent of talking to them about god and Jesus, and handing out pamphlets, if they say they are not interested, move on. If you insist on talking to them anyway, and the say they're an atheist, leave it alone. If you're stupid enough to ask why they're an atheist, and they say they've read the old testament and found it to be bullshit, that should be the end of the conversation. Don't say something stupid like, I'll pray for you, or, who keeps your heart beating, or, aren't you afraid that when you die... It's all the same kind of bullshit to an atheist. If you are going to be rude and obnoxious enough to continue when they have repeatedly stated, in no uncertain terms, their total contempt for the topic being discussed, if you keep pushing it to the point where they tell you to shut the fuck up, just shut the fuck up. Pushing it beyond that point, if not much sooner, only proves you to be an asshole.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Have you tried chasing them away with a sword?
Old 09-28-2019, 07:08 PM

This happened in a parking lot, where swords are frowned upon.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Isn't rejection, particularly scornful or hostile rejection, part of the process? I gathered they primarily want either or two reactions - the person politely listening to their witnessing or angrily rejecting their witnessing, the latter response helping to reinforce their cult's message that their dogma is true and people are hostile to it because it is true.

Complete indifference, simply walking around them as if they were a puddle without making eye contact or answering questions, is probably the least satisfying for them.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:24 PM

Well then, that stupid bitch got what she wanted, scorn and contempt.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atimnie View Post
Well, yeah... and she probably commiserated with her fellow culties about how hostile the world is to their Message, which sets the groundwork for the cult leaders to label her relatives hostile (or "suppressive") to the Message any time they try to talk her out of that loony bin.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:05 PM
Extrajudicial

Moderating

While witnessing belongs in GD, rants belong in the Pit. Moving from GD to the Pit.

[/moderating]
Old 09-28-2019, 08:13 PM

Aggressive, pushy evangelists piss me off. A person’s beliefs are their own business and none of yours. You’re not going to browbeat anyone into faith you idiots.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:20 PM

I just keep walking. Never comment. Never look at them. Easy to do.
I live where no self respecting 'door knocker' would come. But if they did I wouldn't answer the door.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
If she was smart, she wouldn't be a god botherer.

The last time a JW came to my door, she dragged a little kid with her. This time I (very politely) demolished creationism. The little kid heard her mentor losing badly, maybe some day in the future she'll escape. And it was far more satisfying to me than yelling.

The next time one comes I'll offer water while demolishing their arguments, to be doubly polite.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:33 PM

Jesus Christ, what an awful thread!
Old 09-28-2019, 11:56 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

When I interact with proselytizers, I actually kind of end up feeling bad for them. It always seems to end something like this:

"Why don't you believe in God?"

"Well, when I was about 13 or so, I still believed there probably was a supreme being, because I thought something had to have created the universe. Then I realized that the fault in that logic was that if you need a god to create the universe, then something would have had to create that god, and that kind of nonsense never has a bottom. So, no god was necessary any more. The universe created itself."

After a couple of blinks, I get a "Well you have a nice day, sir"

I don't think I blew their mind or anything, but they always react like "I did not sign up to talk to this weirdo this morning."

Last edited by scabpicker; 09-28-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Jesus Christ, what an awful thread!
Golf clap.

I live pretty remote by Colorado Mountain standards. Out in the middle of nowhere by most folks standards I suppose. (Pizza? The flour is over there).

About once a year, we get one or two bible thumper pamphlet stuck in the door. I guess I will... applaud them for their... tenacity. Or perhaps they rack up Jesus points by the miles they cover. Don't know.

If I had absolutely nothing to do, and it was a nice day, I might actually try to talk to these folks and try to figure out just what is spinning around in their heads. Offer them a beer on the deck (I don't mind drinking alone). Might be interesting.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I couldn't do that. I was waiting outside the store with my groceries, waiting for my sister to get back from the chicken place, when this bitch rolls up in an SUV, husband or fellow cultist behind the wheel. She holds a pamphlet out the window, asks if she can talk to me about Jesus. I say, not interested, that should have been the end of it . But no, this bitch sees that I can't easily escape, so she keeps pushing it, asking more questions that I don't want to answer, getting me increasingly pissed off. I keep fighting her on everything she says, clearly indicating that I have no interest in continuing this conversation, telling her how stupid she and her religion is. I really hate self important assholes like that who feel they can preach anywhere, even on public transportation, that's the only way this situation could have been worse. Just because you have the right doesn't make it right. And when you see someone who is clearly waiting for a ride, and you target that person, goddamn, that's not fucking right at all.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:22 AM

When people get uppity about bible thumpers, I wish I could be a fly on the wall during an interaction of the same quality featuring a different religion. I’d just like to know if the reaction is equal and proportionate or not. I’d wager a months salary it wouldn’t be.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
If I had absolutely nothing to do, and it was a nice day, I might actually try to talk to these folks and try to figure out just what is spinning around in their heads. Offer them a beer on the deck (I don't mind drinking alone). Might be interesting.
Yeah, well, that's you. The point is, if the person you're talking to tells you they are not interested, don't be an asshole and continue the conversation. I don't want to talk about it, move on. Don't keep pushing it. If the other person wants to talk about it, fine, but if they don't, shut up and move on.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
(I don't mind drinking alone)...
You're never alone with Jesus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
When people get uppity about bible thumpers, I wish I could be a fly on the wall during an interaction of the same quality featuring a different religion. I’d just like to know if the reaction is equal and proportionate or not. I’d wager a months salary it wouldn’t be.
The thing is, I've never ever ever been approached by any other religion except Christian-flavoured idiots. Ever. Non-religious idiots (like salespeople) usually get the exact same treatment. Which is a polite "no thank you" followed by an increasing level as hostility the more they insist.

Last edited by snfaulkner; 09-29-2019 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I couldn't do that. I was waiting outside the store with my groceries, waiting for my sister to get back from the chicken place, when this bitch rolls up in an SUV, husband or fellow cultist behind the wheel. She holds a pamphlet out the window, asks if she can talk to me about Jesus. I say, not interested, that should have been the end of it . But no, this bitch sees that I can't easily escape, so she keeps pushing it, asking more questions that I don't want to answer, getting me increasingly pissed off. I keep fighting her on everything she says, clearly indicating that I have no interest in continuing this conversation, telling her how stupid she and her religion is. I really hate self important assholes like that who feel they can preach anywhere, even on public transportation, that's the only way this situation could have been worse. Just because you have the right doesn't make it right. And when you see someone who is clearly waiting for a ride, and you target that person, goddamn, that's not fucking right at all.
Laughter is not only the best medicine, in some situations, it's a good defense.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
When people get uppity about bible thumpers, I wish I could be a fly on the wall during an interaction of the same quality featuring a different religion. Iíd just like to know if the reaction is equal and proportionate or not. Iíd wager a months salary it wouldnít be.
You'd lose. If that bitch was any other religion, my reaction would've been the same. No, I don't want to talk about god, or Buddha, or Xenu, or Allah, or any other god, prophet or deity, and if I indicate that I don't want to talk about it, and you keep pushing it, I will tell you to shut the fuck up.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:20 AM

"Jesus freaks
Out in the streets
Handing tickets out for Ga-awd..."
--B.Taupin

My favorite line from love-bombed brain-washed tract-waving jeezoid L.A. burnouts was, "I used to be fucked up on dope. Now I'm fucked up on the Lord. Wanna hit?" (Waves ticket in my face.)

Conversion goes much easier with drugs. Get'em stoned; steal any souls; done.

PS: An acquaintance dealt with Tony Alamo cult street-freak teams a bit too enthusiastically. Drop that bat, Eugene! Don't martyr-em! They love it!
Old 09-29-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
When people get uppity about bible thumpers, I wish I could be a fly on the wall during an interaction of the same quality featuring a different religion. Iíd just like to know if the reaction is equal and proportionate or not. Iíd wager a months salary it wouldnít be.
Salient statement: You win the internet today.

Pushy, aggressive salesmen...that don't like being sold to.

Fucking hypocrites.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:36 AM

So who's the hypocrite here, the bible thumper, or the one clearly showing no interest in continuing the conversation? Would anyone of any religion appreciate if I just started going off on how god doesn't exist and religion is stupid? If I rang somebody's doorbell, and said, "I'd like to talk to you about how god doesn't exist," would the reaction be any different from mine? If anything, I'd be met with more contempt if I did what these religitards do on a regular basis. I have no problem with the casually religious, believe what you want, but when you force your views on others, even when they repeatedly tell you they don't want to hear it, then you are just being an asshole.

Last edited by atimnie; 09-29-2019 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The thing is... I'm not aware of any religion that is nearly as pushy as Christianity regarding this sort of thing.

Hinduism - outside of the Hari Krishnas, I'm not aware of any proselytizing Hindu sects, and even they don't seem to as in-your-face as in the past, but since it's polytheistic there's none of the One True Way aggressiveness going on.
Bahai's promote their religion, but I've yet to encounter them going door-to-door.
Buddhism - certainly wants to spread, but also have a mandate to respect other religions/beliefs that would be at odds with in-your-face pushiness.
Zoroastrianism - you definitely have to be born into that one.
Judaism - actively discourages converts.
Jainism - you can join but they won't chase you
Sikhism - another group you can join but won't chase after you

Muslims might have a conversion drive, but if so I haven't experienced it. As far as I know they are the only group other than Christianity that exhort their faithful to bring more people into the fold.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I live where no self respecting 'door knocker' would come. But if they did I wouldn't answer the door.
I tend to ask them if they want me to autograph their Bibles, and usually throw in a "it's always nice to meet a fan.'
Old 09-29-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
The thing is... I'm not aware of any religion that is nearly as pushy as Christianity regarding this sort of thing.
Indeed. Perhaps Annoyed could cite some religions that actively proselytise as much as some Christian faiths, so that we may discuss it from some sort of common ground. Annoyed?

Quote:
Muslims might have a conversion drive, but if so I haven't experienced it. As far as I know they are the only group other than Christianity that exhort their faithful to bring more people into the fold.
I lived in a Muslim country (UAE) for 4 years and can't recall a single individual trying to 'convert' me. Basically, if you live by the five pillars of Islam, say the magic words ("“There is no true god (deity) but God (Allah), and Muhammad is the Messenger (Prophet) of God.”), hey, you're a Muslim.

Now admittedly, Muslims were a bit...pushy...back between the 8th and 16th century, but even then most Jews and Christians were allowed to keep their faith (might be at a lower standard of living/class, but still Christians/Jews).

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 09-29-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:18 AM

Dubai is about as “Muslim” as Las Vegas is “Christian”.

And Muslims are the ones I was thinking about when I wrote the post.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
If you approach someone with the intent of talking to them about god and Jesus, and handing out pamphlets, if they say they are not interested, move on. If you insist on talking to them anyway, and the say they're an atheist, leave it alone. If you're stupid enough to ask why they're an atheist, and they say they've read the old testament and found it to be bullshit, that should be the end of the conversation. Don't say something stupid like, I'll pray for you, or, who keeps your heart beating, or, aren't you afraid that when you die... It's all the same kind of bullshit to an atheist. If you are going to be rude and obnoxious enough to continue when they have repeatedly stated, in no uncertain terms, their total contempt for the topic being discussed, if you keep pushing it to the point where they tell you to shut the fuck up, just shut the fuck up. Pushing it beyond that point, if not much sooner, only proves you to be an asshole.
Have you heard the Good News?!
Old 09-29-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I'm starting to see a predictable pattern with you: Usually wrong, but never in doubt.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 09-29-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And Muslims are the ones I was thinking about when I wrote the post.
Yeah, we already knew that.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Yeah, we already knew that.
Ironic that he felt the need to post that in this, of all threads.

Unclear on the concept, I guess.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I'm starting to see a predictable pattern with you: Usually wrong, but never in doubt.
Oh I have very little doubt and I know Iím right (and you do too) that most of the Christian haters in this thread (you included) would prostrate themselves at the feet of the first Muslim who wanted to talk about the Koran and Islam, but would feign aggression (because pussies) at a Christian who wanted to talk about the Bible.

This is a fact.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Wow. The bizarre thinking is strong with this one....
Old 09-29-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Oh I have very little doubt and I know Iím right (and you do too) that most of the Christian haters in this thread (you included) would prostrate themselves at the feet of the first Muslim who wanted to talk about the Koran and Islam, but would feign aggression (because pussies) at a Christian who wanted to talk about the Bible.

This is a fact.
What was the title of this thread again?
Old 09-29-2019, 10:19 AM

With any luck, when his pedo-tour of Southeast Asia is over, he'll be too stupid to use a VPN and SL can get banned all over again.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Have you heard the Good News?!
Trump had a stroke?

I have a sign on the mailbox next to the front door that says "No Solicitors". Every once in a while, a member of the god squad will knock. When I point to the sign, the response is often "Oh, I'm not selling anything."
Old 09-29-2019, 10:36 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh I have very little doubt and I know I’m right (and you do too) that most of the Christian haters in this thread (you included) would prostrate themselves at the feet of the first Muslim who wanted to talk about the Koran and Islam, but would feign aggression (because pussies) at a Christian who wanted to talk about the Bible.

This is a fact.
Hah, you're fucking stupid, and wouldn't know a fact if it tried to occupy the same space as yourself. I dislike Islam slightly more than Christianity at the moment. Both are equally useless for figuring out how the world works, and I have no doubt an attempt at my conversion to it would probably either end at the same exchange I described earlier in the thread if it were a stranger. If it's someone I knew, it'd probably end with "Does your religion have dietary restrictions? Because if it does, I think your god is a stupid, petty, foolish god without the perspective necessary to run the universe and I have no time for them." Yeah, that's a pretty mean thing to say, but I'll have already led with "I'm an atheist".

Go drag your cross around somewhere else. It's really boring behavior, and no one is impressed by it.

Last edited by scabpicker; 09-29-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:37 AM

I put a sign on my door that says "I don't want to convert to your religion." Before I put up the sign, I was getting about four people a week. Sign got it down maybe three a month. So I put up one that says "No quiero convirtirme a su religion." That got rid of the last stragglers.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
The thing is, I've never ever ever been approached by any other religion except Christian-flavoured idiots.
My worst such experience was as a teenager being approached on a Manhattan street by an aggressively proselytizing Lubavitcher (off-kilter Jewish sect) who wanted me to get into his van.

Sometimes polite confrontation can be fun. I was just reading about the early life of Richard Haldane (War Minister in circa-1910 England), whose Baptist father demanded that he be baptized. He agreed on condition that he be allowed to make a statement afterwards. "I rose dripping from the font and, facing the congregation, announced to them that I had consented to go through what had taken place only to allay the anxiety of my parents, but that...I could not accept their doctrines and that I regarded what had taken place as the merest external ceremony; and that for the future I had no connection with the church or its teaching or with any other church. I then changed my clothes and walked away from the building. There was much consternation, but nothing was said, probably because there was nothing to say."
Old 09-29-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Hah, you're fucking stupid, and wouldn't know a fact if it tried to occupy the same space as yourself. I dislike Islam slightly more than Christianity at the moment. Both are equally useless for figuring out how the world works, and I have no doubt an attempt at my conversion to it would probably either end at the same exchange I described earlier in the thread if it were a stranger. If it's someone I knew, it'd probably end with "Does your religion have dietary restrictions? Because if it does, I think your god is a stupid, petty, foolish god without the perspective necessary to run the universe and I have no time for them." Yeah, that's a pretty mean thing to say, but I'll have already led with "I'm an atheist".

Go drag your cross around somewhere else. It's really boring behavior, and no one is impressed by it.
Iím an atheist, but respect all religions (unless they want to explode themselves near people) and Iím positive you wouldn't say those things to anyone unless you were protected by your online anonymity.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Oh I have very little doubt and I know I’m right (and you do too) that most of the Christian haters in this thread (you included) would prostrate themselves at the feet of the first Muslim who wanted to talk about the Koran and Islam, but would feign aggression (because pussies) at a Christian who wanted to talk about the Bible.

This is a fact.
Oh, get bent. You wouldn't know a fact if it stuck its dick in your ear and fuck-started your brain.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 09-29-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
With any luck, when his pedo-tour of Southeast Asia is over, he'll be too stupid to use a VPN and SL can get banned all over again.
Pedo insults are trashy, and Iím not on a ďtourĒ of anything. Iím working in the region.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Oh, get bent. You wouldn't know a fact if it stuck its dick in your ear and fuck-started your brain.
Iím guessing youíre on the upside of 50 years old, arenít ya. Youíve used this same rehearsed line on my awesome self several times now and clearly are too fucking dumb to remember doing it.

AND you had to edit the shit because you fucked up 2 simple sentences.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I will have to remember this little gem the next time I feel like insulting someone.

In the meantime, I think we need to get annoyed to a nearby trauma center so he can be treated for third degree sick burn. Hope he's got insurance.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Iím guessing youíre on the upside of 50 years old, arenít ya. Youíve used this same rehearsed line on my awesome self several times now and clearly are too fucking dumb to remember doing it.

Yeah, but I cackled, and that counts for something.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
If only it COULD be started...
Old 09-29-2019, 11:14 AM

Number of times anyone Muslim knocked on my door trying to get me to accept whatever as my savior: Zero.
Number of times anyone Jewish yadda yadda yadda: Zero.
Hindu: Zero
Oh, cutting to the chase...
Any religion other than Christian: Zero
Old 09-29-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:

This is a fact.
No, what you have expressed above is pretty much a textbook example of an opinion.

Kudos to the several posters who have responded to Annoyed without rising to his rather obvious bait.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:

No, I remember quite clearly. It's a fitting response worth repeating. And you don't merit any more effort than that. Get used to its familiar refrain.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:

This is a fact.
You don't know a goddamn thing about me, or anyone else here, so don't pretend that you do. And saying "This is a fact," doesn't make it a fact. Again, my reaction would have been the same no matter what fucking religion they were.

If this was YouTube, I'd have a few more things to say to you, but I don't want to get banned. But my attitude towards that christard bitch? That goes double for you.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post

I have a sign on the mailbox next to the front door that says "No Solicitors". Every once in a while, a member of the god squad will knock. When I point to the sign, the response is often "Oh, I'm not selling anything."
You weren't specific enough.

"No solicitors. This includes religitards, political canvassers, and pollsters."