Old 10-23-2019, 02:21 AM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
So at what point is Trump subpoenaed to testify? What happens then?
Kindasorta related, at 10:00 EDT Wednesday a panel of the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals will hear an appeal of a decision forcing Mazars (CFSG's accounting firm) to hand over eight years of financial records to the Manhattan District Attorney. This is the case in which CFSG's lawyers argued that a sitting President is immune from any legal proceeding regarding his actions before or during his tenure — an argument which Judge Victor Marrero called "repugnant to the nation's governmental structure and constitutional values."

What makes this at least tangentially related to the topic at hand is that in the same ruling, the judge also cast doubt on the DOJ Office of Legal Counsel opinion that a sitting President cannot be indicted:
Quote:
In his 75-page opinion, Marrero wrote that the theory holding that a president cannot be indicted "has gained a certain degree of axiomatic acceptance, and the DOJ Memos which propagate it have assumed substantial legal force as if their conclusion were inscribed on constitutional tablets so-etched by the Supreme Court.” His view, however, was different: “The Court considers such popular currency for the categorical concept and its legal support as not warranted.”
Whether this part of the ruling is addressed in the appeal isn't apparent. If it is, and the judge's opinion is upheld … better lay in lots&lots of popcorn.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
Can he be unethical if he is too stunted intellectually to understand what ethics actually are?
Of course he can. Ethics are manifested through behavior, not understanding. If his intellect is so stunted that it can't guide him ethnically then he is still, by definition, unethical.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
Of course he can. Ethics are manifested through behavior, not understanding. If his intellect is so stunted that it can't guide him ethnically then he is still, by definition, unethical.
Undoubtedly his behavior is unethical. I have no question about that.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:30 AM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoDaFe View Post
Kindasorta related, at 10:00 EDT Wednesday a panel of the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals will hear an appeal of a decision forcing Mazars (CFSG's accounting firm) to hand over eight years of financial records to the Manhattan District Attorney. This is the case in which CFSG's lawyers argued that a sitting President is immune from any legal proceeding regarding his actions before or during his tenure — an argument which Judge Victor Marrero called "repugnant to the nation's governmental structure and constitutional values."

What makes this at least tangentially related to the topic at hand is that in the same ruling, the judge also cast doubt on the DOJ Office of Legal Counsel opinion that a sitting President cannot be indicted:Whether this part of the ruling is addressed in the appeal isn't apparent. If it is, and the judge's opinion is upheld … better lay in lots&lots of popcorn.
These are, indeed, interesting times. I wouldn't mind seeing an Amendment to the Constitution to the effect that A) A sitting President cannot be indicted, and/but B) All relevant statutes of limitation are tolled ("suspended," essentially--the clock doesn't run during the President's term), and investigations into Presidential criminality are expressly permitted. This, of course, will never happen, but a boy can dream, can't he?

On a laugh-to-keep-from-grinding-your-molars note, here's Rudy in a cartoon from Connecticut's own Dan Perkins Tom Tomorrow: Subpoena, Schmubpoena
Old 10-23-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
...But please, take a step back. At best, AT BEST, this Ukraine fiasco tells us 3 things. One, Trump is a terrible leader, since his own state department employees have testified that they had no fucking clue what was going on. Two, Trump is a terrible communicator, since no coherent message was ever presented to his own staff about his vision for Ukraine. And three, Trump has absolutely no understanding about ethics in government.
This is exceptionally well put. Hard to imagine how someone would disagree with all 3 points. But it seems that, at least, many people just don't care.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
This is exceptionally well put. Hard to imagine how someone would disagree with all 3 points. But it seems that, at least, many people just don't care.
Yes, I think best case for Trump is that his "amazing presidential intuition" was correct all along, and despite all current available evidence to the contrary, the Bidens were actually engaged in criminal activity in Ukraine, and the crackpot Crowdstrike conspiracy theory is true. Max S seems to be withholding judgement until Trump has laid out his case here, and I can somewhat understand that.

I deeply suspect, however, that we're never going to get anything more from Trump/Giuliani to prove their case other than random crap like this:

BREAKING NEWS twitter nonsense from Giuliani on October 10, which turns out to be a photo of an april printout of a wikileaks dump made public years ago.

Yes, read that again.

But even if all the conspiracy theories are true, those 3 points would still stand.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

The world was juuuuuust starting to forget about Paul Manafort's corrupt dealings with Ukraine that landed him in Federal prison... so thanks, Rudy, for reminding everyone of how Trump's campaign manager is now behind bars!
Old 10-23-2019, 10:11 AM

I have not thought this through in any detail, so please start picking holes in this idea.

I think the best strategy for the House is to issue a few well-defined Articles of Impeachment that are the most solidly-backed, and the easiest for the public to wrap their heads around. Ukraine seems like the strongest case. I think a few of the more egregious instances of obstruction of justice are good candidates.

But (and, like I said, I have not really spent significant brainpower on this)...

What if they included one or two articles that were a little less certain, to provide cover whereby some of the more persuadable Senate Republicans could vote for acquittal? Essentially give them something where they could say to the less-rabid on the right, "see, I exercised my best judgement, and I voted against the 'fake' issues. But, some of this was just too egregious to stand for."

Yeah, I know. The more I think about it, the more silly this idea seems. Still, I like to think there is a way to loosen up the Senate Republican voting bloc. Hope springs eternal and all that.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlb View Post
I have not thought this through in any detail, so please start picking holes in this idea.

I think the best strategy for the House is to issue a few well-defined Articles of Impeachment that are the most solidly-backed, and the easiest for the public to wrap their heads around. Ukraine seems like the strongest case. I think a few of the more egregious instances of obstruction of justice are good candidates.

But (and, like I said, I have not really spent significant brainpower on this)...

What if they included one or two articles that were a little less certain, to provide cover whereby some of the more persuadable Senate Republicans could vote for acquittal? Essentially give them something where they could say to the less-rabid on the right, "see, I exercised my best judgement, and I voted against the 'fake' issues. But, some of this was just too egregious to stand for."

Yeah, I know. The more I think about it, the more silly this idea seems. Still, I like to think there is a way to loosen up the Senate Republican voting bloc. Hope springs eternal and all that.
So let me get this straight -- you want Dems in the House to include weak articles of impeachment so GOP senators can vote to acquit but still look ethical by criticizing Trump for his behavior named in the stronger articles?

So GOP senators win re-election and Trump stays in office (but maybe gets his feelings hurt)?

Why on earth would Dems do that?
Old 10-23-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
So let me get this straight -- you want Dems in the House to include weak articles of impeachment so GOP senators can vote to acquit but still look ethical by criticizing Trump for his behavior named in the stronger articles?

So GOP senators win re-election and Trump stays in office (but maybe gets his feelings hurt)?

Or are you saying the GOP senators would vote to remove Trump over the real articles, but still cover their asses with the base by pointing to the articles they voted against? Is there even article-by-article voting?

In any event, I think it'd be nuts to present anything but the strongest possible case.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlb View Post
If the 'pubs can attack any of the articles of impeachment, they will go after the weaknesses in that one and ignore the other ones.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

If you really want to get it straight, re-read the post. Spelling it out for you, even conviction on a single one of the Articles clears the way for removal. The America-hating fuckstick has to be acquitted on ALL articles, in order to stay in the WH.
Quote:
Or are you saying the GOP senators would vote to remove Trump over the real articles, but still cover their asses with the base by pointing to the articles they voted against? Is there even article-by-article voting?

In any event, I think it'd be nuts to present anything but the strongest possible case.
Okay, never mind.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 10-23-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Anyway, the answer to your last question is, yes. Each Article is voted on separately.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Spelling it out for you, even conviction on a single one of the Articles clears the way for removal. The America-hating fuckstick has to be acquitted on ALL articles, in order to stay in the WH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Anyway, the answer to your last question is, yes. Each Article is voted on separately.
Ignorance fought! Thanks, sincerely.

Now carlb's idea makes a little more sense -- but I still don't like it, for two reasons:
  1. If the Dems include less serious articles, it will be easy for Pubs to dismiss the entire impeachment as partisan and frivolous.
  2. Voters will only care about the outcome, not the individual articles, so GOP senators won't get any CYA with their base by only voting to remove on the "serious" articles.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:07 AM
Entangled
Charter Member

Wikipedia has a nicely detailed page about Senate impeachment of federal judges.

Looking through it, there seems to be evidence for the tactic of including 'weaker' articles of impeachment as part of the whole bundle, i.e. some judges were acquitted on multiple charges yet were still convicted of others and so removed from office. Here is one example and here is another.

In fact, when I looked at the Wiki article the other day (before I had read carib's post) I just assumed there had been an effort made to give all the senators opportunity to vote for acquittal on at least one charge in order to give them political cover as necessary.

Whether this tactic could or would be applied to impeachment of the POTUS is unclear.

Last edited by KarlGauss; 10-23-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Amen. When you're smashing a cockroach you want the biggest brick you can find.

Last edited by DesertDog; 10-23-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:38 AM

When this does go to the Senate the Democrats should put more emphasis on Trump's demand that Ukraine exonerate Russia for interfering in the 2016 election and less on the demand to investigate the Bidens. With the latter I could see many Senators excusing it as fighting corruption and somehow being a legitimate use of presidential power. With the former, however, you have money that the Senate ordered Trump to give to Ukraine to defend itself from its mortal enemy that he withheld to benefit that enemy. Not only that he wanted Ukraine to find evidence that contradicted the findings of the Senate's own Intelligence Committee. Much harder for any Senator to excuse that.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Ignorance fought! Thanks, sincerely.

Now carlb's idea makes a little more sense -- but I still don't like it, for two reasons:
  1. If the Dems include less serious articles, it will be easy for Pubs to dismiss the entire impeachment as partisan and frivolous.
  2. Voters will only care about the outcome, not the individual articles, so GOP senators won't get any CYA with their base by only voting to remove on the "serious" articles.
Yeah, this is what I had in mind, and I agree that your counters have a lot of validity. I guess I was thinking that, based on the last couple of days, once articles are formally voted upon it's going to be very difficult to completely hand-wave away the worst of Trump's offenses. This could provide an opportunity to sway a few Republican Senators, particularly ones who are already uncomfortable with Trump. If giving them a little political cover helps get a conviction and removal, I'm OK with it. I wish it weren't necessary, but I can live with it.

I was trying to figure out swayable Senators based on their class - figuring that the most recently elected class has more room to maneuver than the class up for re-election in 2020. Turns out, I don't know as much about how dug-in the various Senators are as I thought I might.

For the sake of discussion, here is the list of Republican Senators in Class I, who are not up for re-election until 2024:

Barrasso, John (R-WY)
Blackburn, Marsha (R-TN)
Braun, Mike (R-IN)
Cramer, Kevin (R-ND)
Cruz, Ted (R-TX)
Fischer, Deb (R-NE)
Hawley, Josh (R-MO)
Romney, Mitt (R-UT)
Scott, Rick (R-FL)
Wicker, Roger F. (R-MS)

Romney would seem the most likely to break from the pack, and I've heard some thinking that Cruz might actually be amenable to hearing evidence and voting on it. I would bet that Rick Scott will stay with Trump to the end, and I think Blackburn is unlikely to consider removal. I just don't know enough about the others to offer an opinion.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:20 PM

What about the Republican distraction about "no quid pro quo"? What about the claim that since the aid wasn't specifically, dumbly and incriminatingly mentioned, the Ukrainians didn't even know that the aid had been approved and then held by Trump?

Just a single report, for all I know. And I suppose, but I doubt, that it may not be accurate:
"But in fact, word of the aid freeze had gotten to high-level Ukrainian officials by the first week in August, according to interviews and documents obtained by The New York Times.
The problem was not a bureaucratic glitch, the Ukrainians were told then. To address it, they were advised, they should reach out to Mick Mulvaney, the acting White House chief of staff, according to the interviews and records.

The timing of the communications about the issue, which have not previously been reported, shows that Ukraine was aware the White House was holding up the funds weeks earlier than United States and Ukrainian officials had acknowledged. And it means that the Ukrainian government was aware of the freeze during most of the period in August when Mr. Trump’s personal lawyer, Rudolph W. Giuliani, and two American diplomats were pressing President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine to make a public commitment to the investigations being sought by Mr. Trump."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/23/u...peachment.html

(As if the quid pro quo was actually the problem with the call. It is not.)
Old 10-23-2019, 12:47 PM

I've posted this before. It's from Twitter so take it with a grain of salt. But this is the best logic I have seen for having Democrats go beyond Ukraine and follow the money (note that this thread was made nearly two months ago but the logic doesn't change:
Quote:
House Dems know they can vote to impeach Trump right now on multiple bases, including obstruction of justice, violations of the Emoluments Clause, gross unfitness for office, and more. They also know the Senate will NOT convict for any of that.

Rather than rushing to impeach and failing to get a conviction, House Dems are working hard to put together an “ironclad” (using Pelosi’s words) case against Trump. The centerpiece of the ironclad case is that Trump is compromised by money laundering for Russian oligarchs.

Once House Dems get the DB/Mazars documents, they have a team in place to analyze them, namely Daniel Goldman (former SDNY deputy chief of organized-crime unit) and Daniel Noble (former SDNY co-chief of the complex frauds and cybercrime unit).

Goldman and Noble will put together a killer case showing Trump to be a career money launderer for the Russians. This not only makes him a criminal, it also means he’s compromised and beholden to Russia. This is way beyond any of the other evidence against Trump; this is nuclear.
The idea is to make such an overwhelming case that it will be impossible for McConnell to punt in any way and make any Senators who would vote against removal to look really, really compromised themselves.

Coincidentally, this morning the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals heard oral argument on the Manhattan DA’s subpoena to Mazars for Trump’s tax and financial records.

It did not go well for Trump, which was expected since their defense that you cannot even investigate a sitting president led to this exchange:
Quote:
Billy Freeland @policyjunkie
Extraordinary moment in the 2nd Circuit Trump tax return case. On presidential immunity, Judge Chin asked: “What if he did pull out a gun & shot someone on 5th Ave? Would police be restrained from disabling such a person? Nothing could be done?”

Trump’s lawyer: “That’s correct.”
The prevailing thought is that this case will go to SCOTUS sooner than later but it's not likely the panel will be sympathetic to Trump's arguments.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:03 PM

I'm watching the news. This is beyond ridiculous. A large group of Republican Congress- people have stormed the closed door inquiry hearing and are refusing to leave. Are these grown-ups adults or petulant toddlers? It's reportedly a mob scene, and they've settled in, refused to leave, and ordered a fricken pizza.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:04 PM

Obviously yesterday's testimony has scared Trump to death, and he's ordered his toadies to fight back and cause a scene.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulderMuffin View Post
I'm watching the news. This is beyond ridiculous. A large group of Republican Congress- people have stormed the closed door inquiry hearing and are refusing to leave. Are these grown-ups adults or petulant toddlers? It's reportedly a mob scene, and they've settled in, refused to leave, and ordered a fricken pizza.
They want to be arrested, so that they can get hauled off chanting "Attica, Attica!"
Old 10-23-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Matt Gaetz and his clique of brownshirts. Plus, they brought in recording devices into a secure room where no recording devices are supposed to be allowed. After the committee was adjourned and the room cleared, Capitol police had to be brought in to sweep the room for recording devices.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I called Ted Cruz and john Cornyn's offices today and let them have it. Told them that this scene has done nothing but convinced America that the Republican Party is nothing more than a criminal organization.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:43 PM

The Matt Gaetz clan, literally, really, brought pizza with them.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:55 PM

My son called me and said this is the Republican version of "Storm Area 51, they can't stop us all!" After Gaetz got thrown out last week, they teamed up. I needed that laugh, because this is seriously disturbing.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Obviously yesterday's testimony has scared Trump to death, and he's ordered his toadies to fight back and cause a scene.
I am reminded of the adage about how to argue a court case: if the law is on your side, argue the law. If the facts are on your side, argue the facts. If neither: pound the table and shout.

Republicans are pounding the table. They're barely bothering to dispute the facts re: Trump and Ukraine -- they're just bitching about the process.

(I have great faith in Nancy Pelosi, but I don't like secrecy much, myself. I hope there's a good reason for it and that it ends quickly.)
Old 10-23-2019, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

There is no secrecy. The Republicans know what's going on. The issue here is that it's not the right Republicans who know what's going on.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:03 PM

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...raine-records/

Hmmm... how long until they appeal?
Old 10-23-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
(I have great faith in Nancy Pelosi, but I don't like secrecy much, myself. I hope there's a good reason for it and that it ends quickly.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
There is no secrecy. The Republicans know what's going on. The issue here is that it's not the right Republicans who know what's going on.
This. It's in a SCIF because classified information may be revealed. This shit lands less powerful people in prison or a morgue.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:06 PM

Wait, aren't there Republicans on those committees that are hearing testimony?
Old 10-23-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Maenad View Post
Wait, aren't there Republicans on those committees that are hearing testimony?
Yes. They weren't prevented from taking part if they were on the relevant committee. This was a bunch of non-committee Republican doofuses who wanted to make a point, and gum up the works.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 10-23-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:09 PM

Matt Gaetz and others of the brave Republican security compromising gatecrashers are now tweeting that Hey, you know those tweets I sent from inside the room? Ha-ha, they were sent by staffers outside the room. Ah, this is cool, right?
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...hly-classified
Old 10-23-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
<snip>

There are very good reasons for it. This is the investigation phase, not the hearing phase.

In prior impeachment proceedings, the investigation was carried out by a special or independent counsel, in secret. Just like Mueller.

In this case, however, Bill Barr has refused to appoint a special counsel to investigate the allegations into Trump's Ukraine conduct. This was inappropriate and wrong, but we are where we are with a corrupt Attorney General acting as Trump's personal protector.

For that reason, the investigation phase of this inquiry has fallen to Congress. It's being held in secret for the same reasons that Mueller's investigation was carried out in secret: First, so witnesses can't coordinate their testimony; second, to protect individuals whose good names may be besmirched if they end up not charged; and third, to keep classified information classified.

Once the investigation has concluded, there will be public hearings by the House to lay out their case to vote articles of impeachment.

Believe me, Republicans want a public hearing far less than they are pretending they do.

If (when) the House votes articles of impeachment, the trial phase of this matter will be held in the Senate, presided over by Chief Justice John Roberts. During the trial phase, Trump will have every opportunity to present his defense to the articles of impeachment.

Last edited by Aspenglow; 10-23-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:14 PM

“The private ones always produce better results."--Republican, former congressman Trey Gowdy, who conducted the Benghazi investigation into Hillary Clinton a few years ago and pushed back against criticism that most of the hearings were in private.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
There are very good reasons for it. This is the investigation phase, not the hearing phase.

In prior impeachment proceedings, the investigation was carried out by a special or independent counsel, in secret. Just like Mueller.

In this case, however, Bill Barr has refused to appoint a special counsel to investigate the allegations into Trump's Ukraine conduct. This was inappropriate and wrong, but we are where we are with a corrupt Attorney General acting as Trump's personal protector.

For that reason, the investigation phase of this inquiry has fallen to Congress. It's being held in secret for the same reasons that Mueller's investigation was carried out in secret: First, so witnesses can't coordinate their testimony; second, to protect individuals whose good names may be besmirched if they end up not charged; and third, to keep classified information classified.

Once the investigation has concluded, there will be public hearings by the House to lay out their case to vote articles of impeachment.

Believe me, Republicans want a public hearing far less than they are pretending they do.

If (when) the House votes articles of impeachment, the trial phase of this matter will be held in the Senate, presided over by Chief Justice John Roberts. During the trial phase, Trump will have every opportunity to present his defense to the articles of impeachment.

Excellent explanation. Thank you for laying it out so clearly.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
My son called me and said this is the Republican version of "Storm Area 51, they can't stop us all!" After Gaetz got thrown out last week, they teamed up. I needed that laugh, because this is seriously disturbing.
I'm totally going to borrow this. It's brilliant.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
I'm totally going to borrow this. It's brilliant.
😁

He's a sharp man, my son!
Old 10-23-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Excellent explanation. Thank you for laying it out so clearly.
Most welcome.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:40 PM

Does anyone have a list of the House members who crashed the deposition? Id like to know if I need to yell at my congressman.

The deposition just finally got underway, incidentally. A five- hour delay because petulant babies who can't understand the rules.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
It would be worth it if any of their illicit recording devices got footage of Republican congress members "Naruto-running" towards the hearing room.

(Not really.)
Old 10-23-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Does anyone have a list of the House members who crashed the deposition? Id like to know if I need to yell at my congressman.

The deposition just finally got underway, incidentally. A five- hour delay because petulant babies who can't understand the rules.
https://www.emptywheel.net/2019/10/2...-of-the-purse/

I would like to note that 12 of these contemptible criminals are on the investigatory committees.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazu View Post
It would be worth it if any of their illicit recording devices got footage of Republican congress members "Naruto-running" towards the hearing room.

(Not really.)
https://twitter.com/ScottThuman/stat...255250433?s=20
Old 10-23-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
I've posted this before. It's from Twitter so take it with a grain of salt. But this is the best logic I have seen for having Democrats go beyond Ukraine and follow the money (note that this thread was made nearly two months ago but the logic doesn't change:The idea is to make such an overwhelming case that it will be impossible for McConnell to punt in any way and make any Senators who would vote against removal to look really, really compromised themselves.

Coincidentally, this morning the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals heard oral argument on the Manhattan DA’s subpoena to Mazars for Trump’s tax and financial records.
On one hand: oh please please please let this happen. I so very much want to see Trump exposed as an international money laundering criminal.

On the other: doesn't any scenario that involves Trump's tax returns assume that his returns are complete and correct? I mean, if you're already laundering money for Russian oligarchs, why would you have qualms about not mentioning it on your 1040?

Last edited by jsc1953; 10-23-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
On the other: doesn't any scenario that involves Trump's tax returns assume that his returns are complete and correct? I mean, if you're already laundering money for Russian oligarchs, why would you have qualms about not mentioning it on your 1040?
I'm going with the assumption that there's more to be learned from Trump's returns than that he's not as rich as he claims to be, otherwise he wouldn't be going to court to prevent them from being released to anyone.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
they've settled in, refused to leave, and ordered a fricken pizza.
Personally I'd like nothing more than to help plan what to do if they pull this again. First - are there bathrooms available without leaving the space? If so, step one is to lock them or otherwise put them out of commission.

Step two - "hey, just to prove we can still behave like civilized human beings, we've brought a few cases of soda to share. Drink up!"
Old 10-23-2019, 04:48 PM

House Homeland Security Committee Chairman asks sergeant at arms to “take action” against Republicans who charged into the SCIF.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
House Homeland Security Committee Chairman asks sergeant at arms to “take action” against Republicans who charged into the SCIF.

Many of the Republicans engaged in the protest were at a White House on Tuesday meeting with Trump, and a person familiar with the matter told CNN that Trump had advance knowledge of the plans to enter the space.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Personally I'd like nothing more than to help plan what to do if they pull this again. First - are there bathrooms available without leaving the space? If so, step one is to lock them or otherwise put them out of commission.

Step two - "hey, just to prove we can still behave like civilized human beings, we've brought a few cases of soda to share. Drink up!"
Cute, but I'd prefer zip ties and frog marches.