Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-07-2019, 04:12 PM
pool is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,606

Consequences of Gender Ratio in China and India


I was reading the other day about how men outnumber women by somewhere close to 34 Million in China and something like 37 Million in India.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.scm...e-consequences

Interesting article on the subject, these single men are largely marginalized by their society, labor markets and the economy has changed as a result. Some of the personal stories are really sad as well, imagine being a laborer in your 30's making maybe enough money to scrape by, but possibly never having been even kissed or having a relationship with a woman.

What possible long term consequences do you think this will have down the road? You would think some of these men would attempt to find work elsewhere, possibly even leaving their countries of origin if financially possible to do so. It seems like their could be unfortunate social consequences as well, probably nothing worse than a bunch of single, horny young men that have scant possibility of finding companionship. I know the world is probably already way overpopulated but this is obviously an unnatural occurrence that changes a lot of the social dynamics with consequences which may go on for quite some time. I expect there would be a lot of resentment towards older generations as well because of it.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"

Last edited by pool; 10-07-2019 at 04:14 PM.
  #2  
Old 10-07-2019, 04:16 PM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,617
Some of the consequences have been:

1. It's been a huge boost to feminism in China, as women now command immense power in terms of marriage/dating - not sure about India;
2. It's led many men in China to try to import women from abroad, especially Southeast Asia - legally or illegally;
3. It's led to China relaxing the One Child Policy (but that's statistically not enough; they'd need to put in some sort of special incentive for couple to have more daughters)


It might lead to some sort of violent-incel movement in those nations; who knows.
  #3  
Old 10-07-2019, 04:27 PM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 35,600
John Oliver just did an episode on this wrt China. I wish he'd do more about China, but even though this is old news to most folks who follow China it's still good that he's touching on it at least. Maybe next he'll take on forced organ harvesting, Falun Gong, environmental collapse, Great Firewall of China and Social Credit scores...you know, the small stuff.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #4  
Old 10-07-2019, 04:34 PM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 35,600
As for the OP:

Quote:
What possible long term consequences do you think this will have down the road?
Dire. Watch John's video...he's actually fairly spot on wrt the consequences and reaction in China, even though he glosses over some stuff. One thing the Chinese are doing is basically taking women from other neighboring countries and forcing them to marry Chinese men. John doesn't get into the homosexuality angle, but ironically the Chinese have both set up the situation and then blocked off that possible solution (i.e. the Chinese, especially the CCP aren't very keen on homosexuality).

And they haven't learned their lesson either. They basically went from the disastrous 1 child policy to a useless 2 child policy, as if they can just pull a lever and get a better result after, literally, decades of draconian measures to try and enforce their stupid initial policy. Now that they have managed to so screw things up, I guess they figured, why not just fix it by fiat again?

Ironically, to 'fix' this issue they don't have to do that much. In the short term they are fucked of course. What they REALLY need is immigration, especially female immigration, but they have such screwy policies that folks are leaving, not wanting to come in en mass (well, voluntarily). But their own upward standard of living is already doing stuff to curb their population. But the CCP just can't do nothing...they have to fuck with things, despite the fact that every time they have (since 1949) they have fucked up by the numbers. Every. Time.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #5  
Old 10-07-2019, 04:47 PM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 82,772
There's also the consequences of the Little Emperor syndrome. You have millions of young men who were brought up in a family environment where they were treated as the center of the world. But once they get out in the real world they find that not only are they not the center of it but they are surrounded by all these other men who are equally self-centered.
  #6  
Old 10-07-2019, 04:51 PM
pool is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,606
Also I've read a lot of stuff over the years about rape and sexual assaults in India even a lot of stuff happening in public or involving large groups of men in incidents, I imagine this would only exacerbate the problem.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"

Last edited by pool; 10-07-2019 at 04:51 PM.
  #7  
Old 10-07-2019, 04:51 PM
Aspidistra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5,694
We won't dwell too much on what countries with an excess of young men in their population can traditionally do about that...
__________________
Science created the modern world. Politics is doing its best to destroy it.
  #8  
Old 10-07-2019, 04:52 PM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 82,772
Female immigration will bring its own long term problems. Chinese society has depended on ethnic homogeneity in defining itself. But in a generation you're going to have a large number of Chinese people who have a Han father and a mother from some other country. That's going to force a major re-adjustment in the popular view of what it means to be Chinese.
  #9  
Old 10-07-2019, 05:02 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 85,441
And where would all of these female immigrants come from, that wouldn't just create the same problems in their countries of origin?
  #10  
Old 10-07-2019, 05:06 PM
Aspidistra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5,694
Female immigration is functionally equivalent to male emigration - either of those would work to fix the gender balance. But it's a pipe dream anyway because 30 million is way too many young women for all the countries who aren't China to lose, and way too many young men for all the countries who aren't China to absorb.
__________________
Science created the modern world. Politics is doing its best to destroy it.
  #11  
Old 10-07-2019, 05:09 PM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,617
One thing that might help somewhat is that Russia, which neighbors China, has a surplus of women. There are significantly fewer men in Russia than women. Problem is, most of those Russian women are in western Russia, far from China. And even if they interacted with Chinese men, there would be a formidable two-way language barrier betwixt the two of them, and that's not taking into account whether they would want to intermarry to begin with.

Otherwise, in theory, millions of Russian single women could marry millions of single Chinese men. It would only suffice to solve a tiny fraction of the problem, but it's worth a shot.
  #12  
Old 10-07-2019, 05:15 PM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 35,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
Female immigration is functionally equivalent to male emigration - either of those would work to fix the gender balance. But it's a pipe dream anyway because 30 million is way too many young women for all the countries who aren't China to lose, and way too many young men for all the countries who aren't China to absorb.
It's a pipe dream because it's actually very difficult to formally immigrate to China and become a Chinese citizen. Hell, there are millions of folks who were born in China, and are Han Chinese, who are't Chinese citizens...in many of those cases because they were born to families who already had a child and who's parents hid them so they wouldn't have to have a forced abortion or have their kid taken away or pay a huge fine (depending on where you are in the CCP pecking order of course).
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #13  
Old 10-07-2019, 05:26 PM
Aspidistra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5,694
The thing I notice about the gender ratio from that original article is that, even knowing their sons are going to have a shit-ton of trouble finding women to marry them does not appear to have fixed the Indian and Chinese preferences for having sons. Those are nice projections there showing the gender-birth-gap closing but they're just projections - it hasn't actually happened yet. Dowry is still a thing in India, sexism is still prevalent in both countries ... there's a deep aversion to responding to a lack of women by giving women an actual better deal in life, or prioritising women higher than men.
__________________
Science created the modern world. Politics is doing its best to destroy it.
  #14  
Old 10-07-2019, 06:34 PM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
The thing I notice about the gender ratio from that original article is that, even knowing their sons are going to have a shit-ton of trouble finding women to marry them does not appear to have fixed the Indian and Chinese preferences for having sons. Those are nice projections there showing the gender-birth-gap closing but they're just projections - it hasn't actually happened yet. Dowry is still a thing in India, sexism is still prevalent in both countries ... there's a deep aversion to responding to a lack of women by giving women an actual better deal in life, or prioritising women higher than men.
I imagine that many parents aren't thrilled with the thought of, "Our nation has a desperate shortage of women, and lots of men are sex-starved, so it's up to us to provide the daughters who will help satisfy the sex/relationship needs of the next generation of boys."
  #15  
Old 10-07-2019, 06:39 PM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 82,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
And where would all of these female immigrants come from, that wouldn't just create the same problems in their countries of origin?
It's probably a self-limiting problem. I think most people would prefer the live in the society they grew up in. And the gender ratio in China might pull female immigrants towards China but there's no equivalent gender ratio in most countries pushing them out. Most women will have an opportunity to marry a man in their own native country so they won't seek marriage opportunities in China.
  #16  
Old 10-07-2019, 06:45 PM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 35,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I imagine that many parents aren't thrilled with the thought of, "Our nation has a desperate shortage of women, and lots of men are sex-starved, so it's up to us to provide the daughters who will help satisfy the sex/relationship needs of the next generation of boys."
It's already happening, and parents aren't always given a choice...nor are the girls. This is happening in multiple countries that are neighbors with China. It's but one of the issues that's happening due to the CCP's stupid decision to try and impose population control by fiat.

John Oliver calls them 'rocket scientists', but really, they were (and frankly are) idiots.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #17  
Old 10-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,872
What I find interesting is about 20 years ago we were seeing a flood of Chinese girls being adopted here in the US because they were dumped off due to the 1 child policy. I think about 10 years ago China stopped this but now I bet they wished they would have held onto those girls.
  #18  
Old 10-07-2019, 10:42 PM
LAZombie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
The thing I notice about the gender ratio from that original article is that, even knowing their sons are going to have a shit-ton of trouble finding women to marry them does not appear to have fixed the Indian and Chinese preferences for having sons.
I believe the problem is primarily a rural problem versus an urban problem. In rural areas, there are more farmers, more crushing poverty, and are generally less sophisticated which creates the desire for sons. I also feel there is an indifference to this issue by urban dwellers because they look down at the rural people.
  #19  
Old 10-07-2019, 11:07 PM
Riemann's Avatar
Riemann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 7,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I imagine that many parents aren't thrilled with the thought of, "Our nation has a desperate shortage of women, and lots of men are sex-starved, so it's up to us to provide the daughters who will help satisfy the sex/relationship needs of the next generation of boys."
But you canít selectively provide children of one sex except by selective abortion of the other sex after the sex of the fetus is known, or by post-natal selective murder. Since I doubt ultrasound was available for a lot of pregnancies in rural areas until recently, the statistics imply that millions of female babies were probably murdered.
  #20  
Old 10-07-2019, 11:36 PM
AK84 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,502
Long term? Sweet fuck all. Gender ratios tend to get fixed pretty quickly once the underlying cause of the imbalance is lifted, usually in a generation or two. Which is of little comfort to the people now true.
  #21  
Old 10-07-2019, 11:38 PM
AK84 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
Since I doubt ultrasound was available for a lot of pregnancies in rural areas until recently, the statistics imply that millions of female babies were probably murdered.
I am sure you are basing this on your deep knowledge of the areas in question backed up by years of research.
  #22  
Old 10-08-2019, 04:07 AM
Riemann's Avatar
Riemann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 7,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
I am sure you are basing this on your deep knowledge of the areas in question backed up by years of research.
Your accusation that my view is ignorant and poorly researched doesn't add much to the debate when you haven't presented any cite yourself to counter it.

The skewed sex ratio in China went to more extreme levels in recent decades when ultrasound did become widely available. There was huge demand for ultrasound to screen babies for selective abortion, and it's illegal to use ultrasound for this purpose. But the skewed sex ratio and the phenomenon "missing women" in China long predates the widespread use of this technology. See Table 3 in this paper:

Estimates of Missing Women in Twentieth Century China
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3830941/

There were, for example, 6.5 million "missing women" in the period 1950-1979. Some of those girls died through passive neglect, and preferential use of medical resources to treat boys. That's barely better than outright murder. But many girls were just victims of infanticide.

Last edited by Riemann; 10-08-2019 at 04:09 AM.
  #23  
Old 10-08-2019, 07:37 AM
Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
But you canít selectively provide children of one sex except by selective abortion of the other sex after the sex of the fetus is known, or by post-natal selective murder. Since I doubt ultrasound was available for a lot of pregnancies in rural areas until recently, the statistics imply that millions of female babies were probably murdered.
Or they went to the city and were left in a public area where they were found and put up for adoption. This happened alot.
  #24  
Old 10-08-2019, 07:45 AM
Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,872
I really dont think you all realize just how big foreign adoptions of baby girls was in China years ago. When it started it was out of desperation where you had these Chinese orphanages with horrid conditions begging for adoptive parents. Over time their was a flood of adoptions (I think 3-4 just in my kids school). I saw Chinese adoptive girls everywhere. I knew a family who had 3. We were even looking into it. Money came in and the orphanages were dramatically improved. Sadly after awhile baby girls were being sold off and eventually it embarrassed the Chinese government so they stopped it. I havent seen it for awhile. I think most adoptive children now are from Africa.
  #25  
Old 10-08-2019, 07:56 AM
Aspidistra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5,694
I don't think you realise how big China and India are.
__________________
Science created the modern world. Politics is doing its best to destroy it.
  #26  
Old 10-08-2019, 08:32 AM
Riemann's Avatar
Riemann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 7,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Or they went to the city and were left in a public area where they were found and put up for adoption. This happened alot.
If girls were adopted within China, then women wouldn't be missing from the population.
  #27  
Old 10-08-2019, 08:40 AM
Riemann's Avatar
Riemann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 7,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
I really dont think you all realize just how big foreign adoptions of baby girls was in China years ago.
A total of 267,000 Chinese babies were adopted abroad from 1999-2016.

https://internationaladoption.org/6-...onal-adoption/

I can't find data from earlier periods, but I doubt that it's the order of magnitude larger that would be required to explain a significant number of the tens of millions of missing women in the era before sex-selective abortion was possible.
  #28  
Old 10-08-2019, 09:24 AM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 29,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
It's a pipe dream because it's actually very difficult to formally immigrate to China and become a Chinese citizen. Hell, there are millions of folks who were born in China, and are Han Chinese, who are't Chinese citizens...in many of those cases because they were born to families who already had a child and who's parents hid them so they wouldn't have to have a forced abortion or have their kid taken away or pay a huge fine (depending on where you are in the CCP pecking order of course).
It's a sign of a cultural blindspot that the powers that be in China don't consider regularizing the status of those millions of "ghost women". Or making immigration more attractive/easier for women.

It wouldn't entirely solve the problem, but it would help.

Of course, you'd also still have millions of "ghost men"... probably in equal numbers to the ghost women. So maybe it wouldn't solve anything.

Tolerating - if not outright encouraging - male homosexuality would also help alleviate the gender disparity, but that also seems to be a no-go pretty much everywhere, not just China.

Last edited by Broomstick; 10-08-2019 at 09:26 AM.
  #29  
Old 10-08-2019, 10:12 AM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Tolerating - if not outright encouraging - male homosexuality would also help alleviate the gender disparity
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have seen this suggestion multiple times any time the China gender gap issue comes up - "Encourage men to turn gay in order to solve the problem." Hasn't the LGBT community been arguing for decades that sexual orientation is a matter of birth, not choice, and they were born gay rather than choosing to be gay? Why, then, "Encourage straight men to choose gayness and that will fix things?"
  #30  
Old 10-08-2019, 10:32 AM
jasg is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Upper left hand corner
Posts: 6,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
A total of 267,000 Chinese babies were adopted abroad from 1999-2016.

https://internationaladoption.org/6-...onal-adoption/

I can't find data from earlier periods, but I doubt that it's the order of magnitude larger that would be required to explain a significant number of the tens of millions of missing women in the era before sex-selective abortion was possible.
A relative adopted two toddlers from China. She was told by the orphanage that the girls would want to return to China 'to be with their own people' when grown.

Now that they are in college & grad school, neither have any interest. One summed it up, saying "They didn't care about me, I don't care about them".
  #31  
Old 10-08-2019, 10:38 AM
KarlGauss's Avatar
KarlGauss is online now
Entangled
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Between pole and tropic
Posts: 8,512

Consequences of Gender Ratio in China and India


A booming business in headless female sex dolls?

Well, that's what I heard from John Oliver.
  #32  
Old 10-08-2019, 10:43 AM
Riemann's Avatar
Riemann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 7,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have seen this suggestion multiple times any time the China gender gap issue comes up - "Encourage men to turn gay in order to solve the problem." Hasn't the LGBT community been arguing for decades that sexual orientation is a matter of birth, not choice, and they were born gay rather than choosing to be gay? Why, then, "Encourage straight men to choose gayness and that will fix things?"
Human sexual preference may not be a deliberate "choice", but it can be flexible to varying degrees. It seems to me that greater social acceptance for the whole spectrum of consensual sexual behavior couldn't hurt. Tolerance for those who choose to engage exclusively in homosexual behavior presumably wouldn't make much difference if there's a similar prevalence among men and women. But human sexuality can be flexible - bisexual men who do have a choice could choose male partners if there were no social stigma attached. Social acceptance for heterosexual women who choose have multiple partners without condemning them as "sluts" could be helpful.

Last edited by Riemann; 10-08-2019 at 10:47 AM.
  #33  
Old 10-08-2019, 11:35 AM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 82,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Long term? Sweet fuck all. Gender ratios tend to get fixed pretty quickly once the underlying cause of the imbalance is lifted, usually in a generation or two. Which is of little comfort to the people now true.
A generation or two is what? Around fifty years? The People's Republic of China is only seventy years old. I think they're going to see fifty years as a long term.

And I think that's true for most countries. I'd say a handy rule of thumb dividing short term issues from long term issues is ten years. Any issue that's going to be resolved, one way or another, within the next ten years is a short term issue. Any issue that will still be around more than ten years from now is a long term issue.
  #34  
Old 10-08-2019, 12:13 PM
Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,872
Back to the OP, Yes, lots of angry single men is a recipe for problems. Either what is the reason to work hard if you dont have a family to work for or you are already angry at the world and look for something to vent your anger on.

I wonder if the army or police forces could get plenty of volunteers if they gave them a promise of a wife?
  #35  
Old 10-08-2019, 12:16 PM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 35,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Back to the OP, Yes, lots of angry single men is a recipe for problems. Either what is the reason to work hard if you dont have a family to work for or you are already angry at the world and look for something to vent your anger on.

I wonder if the army or police forces could get plenty of volunteers if they gave them a promise of a wife?
China doesn't have a volunteer military model. And they actually have been downsizing personnel for a few years now, laying off a bunch of soldiers. This has also not been well received, at least by the folks who were downsized, and was quite a problem 2-3 years ago when Xi first started this. Of course, there are a lot more things that the average Chinese is worried about now that have sort of pushed that to the back burner.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #36  
Old 10-08-2019, 12:52 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 29,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have seen this suggestion multiple times any time the China gender gap issue comes up - "Encourage men to turn gay in order to solve the problem." Hasn't the LGBT community been arguing for decades that sexual orientation is a matter of birth, not choice, and they were born gay rather than choosing to be gay? Why, then, "Encourage straight men to choose gayness and that will fix things?"
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.

Currently (to my very limited understanding) homosexuality is frowned upon in China and the vast majority of said men are in the closet. At least it is no longer illegal (as of the late 1990's, which would be a form of tolerance) but there are still strong cultural taboos and liabilities associated with open homosexuality.

By "encourage" I don't mean convert straight men into gay, but rather via propaganda encourage the rest of the county to stop discriminating against homosexuals and gay men to live as gay men rather than to try to marry and fulfill their sexual desires outside of that marriage.

Of course, that does lead to the issue of homosexual women - to the best of my knowledge it's not happening now, but I'd hate to see a situation where lesbians are compelled into heterosexual marriage as a social "duty".

I have my doubt how feasible any of the above would be, and certainly don't have the wisdom to foresee or understand all of the possible knock-on effect.
  #37  
Old 10-08-2019, 12:54 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 29,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
Human sexual preference may not be a deliberate "choice", but it can be flexible to varying degrees. It seems to me that greater social acceptance for the whole spectrum of consensual sexual behavior couldn't hurt. Tolerance for those who choose to engage exclusively in homosexual behavior presumably wouldn't make much difference if there's a similar prevalence among men and women. But human sexuality can be flexible - bisexual men who do have a choice could choose male partners if there were no social stigma attached. Social acceptance for heterosexual women who choose have multiple partners without condemning them as "sluts" could be helpful.
^ This as well.

Also, allowing polyandry might help as well, but again I have no idea of the actual feasibility of that. There are some cultures that have polyandry, but they're rare.
  #38  
Old 10-08-2019, 01:04 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 29,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
I wonder if the army or police forces could get plenty of volunteers if they gave them a promise of a wife?
While I understand the reasoning behind that, the problem from MY viewpoint is that you're treating women as a commodity or prize rather than human beings. If you guarantee that the young men serving WILL be getting a wife, then you must, as a consequence, take choice away from women. There may be some men that will have a choice of women (as there is now) but the less desirable men will have the problem of women being reluctant to marry them, so the only way to fulfill the promise is to force women to marry them.

Of course, you can run a society where women are chattel - there are numerous examples - but personally I have great distaste for that.
  #39  
Old 10-08-2019, 01:05 PM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
I wonder if the army or police forces could get plenty of volunteers if they gave them a promise of a wife?
From what I've read, China has absolutely no shortage of people who are willing to join its military; indeed, some Party officials even had to resort to paying big bribes in order to ensure that their sons would be accepted into the ranks.
  #40  
Old 10-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 82,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
I wonder if the army or police forces could get plenty of volunteers if they gave them a promise of a wife?
I see this as a bad idea. If the China significantly increases the size of its police and military forces (and incurs the expenses that would result) there's going to be an inducement to use this expanded force. And I can't think of any situation where the PAP or PLA being deployed would be an improvement.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 10-08-2019 at 02:28 PM.
  #41  
Old 10-08-2019, 07:14 PM
needscoffee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post


I wonder if the army or police forces could get plenty of volunteers if they gave them a promise of a wife?
How would this affect the ratio of males/females?
  #42  
Old 10-08-2019, 07:35 PM
ASL v2.0's Avatar
ASL v2.0 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Various
Posts: 423
It wouldnít, unless they hold some really elaborate war games.
  #43  
Old 10-08-2019, 08:07 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 29,173
Or... they used the military to capture women from surrounding/enemy countries.... which, aside from other problems with that approach, would basically be exporting the problem to someone else as that would result in gender ratio imbalances in the countries they steal women from.
  #44  
Old 10-09-2019, 12:52 AM
RioRico is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 337
I've not seen many US adoptions from Asia or Africa. I went to elementary school in a 1950s Los Angeles suburb with a Guatemalan adoptee. The Guatemalan posada my wife and I regularly stayed in mostly hosted US adults looking to adopt. It was a major business in years past but subsequent laws sent would-be adopters away. To China?

What to do with too many young males?
  • Let them stay disappointed; but then they make trouble.
  • Militarize and set them invading, to extend hard power.
  • Send them to 3rd-world projects, to extend soft power.
    Maybe they'll find local women who don't disgust them.
  • Pay them to go away and maybe do some spying.
  • Grind them up for food: livestock feed or hamburgers.
  • Give them fake ID and hire them for US border patrol.
  • Build a low-tech space program needing millions of men on the slingshot.
What would I do if I was an excess male? Wait, I already am. So send me to Belize.
  #45  
Old 10-09-2019, 01:14 AM
ASL v2.0's Avatar
ASL v2.0 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Various
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
[*] Give them fake ID and hire them for US border patrol.
No kidding, we could hire them all to work in three shifts at the US-Mexico border, ten million at a time, and they could maintain a 6-deep round the clock human chain from the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific (assuming 2 yards per person, 10 million gets you ~11,000 miles of human chain, and you only need about 1600 miles to cover the border).

But of course that would be a terrible idea. It’s only meant to illustrate the scale of the problem.

Last edited by ASL v2.0; 10-09-2019 at 01:15 AM.
  #46  
Old 10-09-2019, 02:50 AM
AK84 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
While I understand the reasoning behind that, the problem from MY viewpoint is that you're treating women as a commodity or prize rather than human beings. If you guarantee that the young men serving WILL be getting a wife, then you must, as a consequence, take choice away from women. There may be some men that will have a choice of women (as there is now) but the less desirable men will have the problem of women being reluctant to marry them, so the only way to fulfill the promise is to force women to marry them.

Of course, you can run a society where women are chattel - there are numerous examples - but personally I have great distaste for that.
While Western feminists regularly get all, err excited, at the prospect of polyandry the reality is about as far from from female emancipation as you can get. At least from the Polyandrous marriages in Nepal that I have seen. State sanctioned persistent gang rape is perhaps the most charitable description I can give.

I mean imagine have have to not only cook for and clean up after your brother in law, but have sex with him when he is horny.

*Or all that and help him with his school work as in one polyandrous Union I saw.
  #47  
Old 10-09-2019, 03:13 AM
kitap is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
And where would all of these female immigrants come from, that wouldn't just create the same problems in their countries of origin?
Well, some of the women fleeing North Korea have ended up - willingly or not - as wives of Chinese men.
  #48  
Old 10-09-2019, 04:43 AM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 29,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
While Western feminists regularly get all, err excited, at the prospect of polyandry the reality is about as far from from female emancipation as you can get. At least from the Polyandrous marriages in Nepal that I have seen. State sanctioned persistent gang rape is perhaps the most charitable description I can give.
I think you misunderstand my feelings about the situation. Women in polyandrous marriages are typically just as exploited as in polygynous marriages, if not more so, and often have no more choice in who they marry than in cultures that allow a man multiple wives.

Among some North American arctic people practicing polyandry if an infant girl didn't have the promise of marriage to two men by a certain point in her infancy she'd be exposed to die. Polyandry as a custom in no way ensues a higher status for women.

Quote:
I mean imagine have have to not only cook for and clean up after your brother in law, but have sex with him when he is horny.
Technically, he wouldn't be a brother-in-law but rather another husband. What do you think traditional monogamous marriage has been for millennia for women? You cook for and clean up after him and have sex when he's horny regardless of how you might feel at the time. In arranged marriages (of any sort) you might not even like each other, you might not have ever even met each other prior to the marriage ceremony. It wasn't just a matter of poor folks doing this, the Chinese Emperor had a huge harem, but even he didn't have a choice in who he had sexual intercourse with - there were palace officials that drew up a schedule and assigned women to the Emperor each night. "Marriage" has rarely been the fairy-tale, voluntary, love-match idealized by the modern west and occasionally spread to other parts of the world.

Quote:
*Or all that and help him with his school work as in one polyandrous Union I saw.
Right. No woman in a monogamous marriage ever has been called upon to help the man through school or in a career.

In Nepal and Tibet polyandry was typically a woman marrying not a man but all the brothers in a family which if you think about it does not involve a lot of choice on the part of the parties involved. That's quite different that western "polyamory" where group "marriages" (which have no legal standing) involve independent adults coming together in a voluntary manner as adults, and women have the option of leaving and don't need a man to survive economically.

The "solution" of polyandry is no more exploitative than the suggestion in this thread that men who serve in the military be "guaranteed" a wife, and possibly less so IF the arrangement is entered into voluntarily by all parties including the woman rather than arranged by village elders or government authorities.
  #49  
Old 10-09-2019, 05:14 AM
AK84 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I think you misunderstand my feelings about the situation. Women in polyandrous marriages are typically just as exploited as in polygynous marriages, if not more so, and often have no more choice in who they marry than in cultures that allow a man multiple wives.

Among some North American arctic people practicing polyandry if an infant girl didn't have the promise of marriage to two men by a certain point in her infancy she'd be exposed to die. Polyandry as a custom in no way ensues a higher status for women.
Thank you for that last bit, I didn't know about that.

Quote:
Technically, he wouldn't be a brother-in-law but rather another husband.
Depends on the guys status. Usually there is a hierachy, see below

Quote:
In Nepal and Tibet polyandry was typically a woman marrying not a man but all the brothers in a family which if you think about it does not involve a lot of choice on the part of the parties involved.
Typically the woman is only properly married off to the eldest and the other brothers are considered less husbands more brothers in law with sexual access. The other brothers (but sometimes cousins and friends) hope to one day become the prime husband in another union.

To answer what you said elsewhere in the post

Quote:
B]What do you think traditional monogamous marriage has been for millennia for women?[/B] You cook for and clean up after him and have sex when he's horny regardless of how you might feel at the time.
Yes, but even in the worst case senario, there won't be socially or legally sanctioned expectation of having sex with others on command.

I mean marry a 25 year old and also get his 20 and 15 year old brothers in the bargain.

Last edited by AK84; 10-09-2019 at 05:18 AM.
  #50  
Old 10-09-2019, 05:15 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,876
On top of what's been said before, I figure it's an incentive for Chinese men to study, work and settle abroad (well, even more than historically) with an eye towards getting a wife before coming back to the Old Country. That being said, I don't know (and would be curious to know) what the socio-cultural cost of having a non-Chinese wife is.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017