Old 10-19-2019, 12:36 PM

Congrats, Racer; nice finish!

Oh, wait! I'm gonna have the postultimate word.

I spend a lot of time lurking, and I value The Dope for its informative and entertainment values. Hardly a session goes by for me when I think "Wait, who just said that?", and back up to see the poster. Very often it will be a name I'm unfamiliar with, and I'll see that they have posted thousands of times. As a counter to that, I'll see an unfamiliar name with dozens or hundreds of posts.

So, I'd guess that the core will shrink to some critical (heh) number, and newbies will drop in to take the place of those who drop off. And become the current core.

At least, I certainly hope so.

Dan
Old 10-22-2019, 01:40 PM

You all are scaring me. I already survivor one board death this year (snopes) and would like this to last a bit longer.

I guess I need to post more. Not even .5 posts a day.

And think about donating.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Well, I retired a couple years ago and I'm sure my posting average has gone up since then. Include me in the list of those posting at the heat death of the universe. I'll bet there'll be a fair number of us left making jokes ("Heat death of the universe, film at 11") and commenting about how previous heat deaths were better, etc.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:38 PM

The xkcd forum continues to be down after the intrusion discovered at the beginning of Sept. It was already fairly moribund. If it was brought back at this point it would be ... moribunder(?).
Old 10-22-2019, 06:13 PM

The guesses of five years seem pretty credible, although I certainly wasn't expecting the end of the IMDb boards, so as others have said: if someone in management gets a bug up their butt it could be much sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal View Post
15 years ago you predicted that the board wouldn't last another 6 months:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...3&postcount=25

That's stunning to me that you remembered someone's comment from 15 years ago. Well played.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:35 PM

I think we should be asking, what do you want to see more of on these boards?

I'm a new member. I'll do what I can to keep the boards alive. What would it take to keep you interested? More GQ questions? More GQ answers? More debating? More elections? Less politics? More physics? High-brow humor?

... need I visit the Pit?

I didn't think there was a financial component but if there is, I could pick up a membership. I should probably do that anyways, I use this site so often.

~Max
Old 10-22-2019, 07:43 PM

SDMB will last until we finish counting down from 1,000,000 dammit!
Old 10-22-2019, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
The xkcd forum continues to be down after the intrusion discovered at the beginning of Sept. It was already fairly moribund. If it was brought back at this point it would be ... moribunder(?).
That board is down so much because they removed the link to it from the main comic page. Well that's the reason it's dropped so precipitously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max S. View Post
... need I visit the Pit?
Not necessary. I never visit the Pit and don't miss it.

Quote:
I didn't think there was a financial component but if there is, I could pick up a membership. I should probably do that anyways, I use this site so often.
The main advantage in becoming a member is that you don't get ads. At least that's the reason I keep my membership. But it also means the Board doesn't get the revenue from showing those ads, so it's probably close to a wash for the Board financially.

If you want to support the board, try encouraging others to join.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:35 PM

I fully expect that 50 million years from now there will still be a Straight Dope with threads like "Upcoming Solar Extinction - The Legacy of Trump", "Best Used Time Machine?" and "More Annoying Commercials".
Old 10-23-2019, 11:29 AM

The Dope will ride on, as long as there exists in people a desire to post in left-wing echo chambers.

-Just Another Guru In Drag
Old 10-23-2019, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

I have noticed that the Sun-Times seems to have a very strict paywall these days and thatís relatively new. I wonder if theyíve turned off their comments section as well.

Letís hope that we continue to fly under the radar, I imagine The Straight Dope name still has a bit of value left. Plus, the strict moderation on the board has made sure itís not a cesspool of spam or other racist/sexist/homophobic comments like I saw too often on the IMDB boards
Old 10-23-2019, 03:06 PM

I see no reason to assume our demise is imminent. After all, there are far more entertainment options than there used to be, but books and board games are going strong. Just because Twitter, Facebook and Reddit exist is no reason our little text-based discussion corner needs to be shuffled off on the next ice floe. Of course things will change, always, and just because it doesn't have to die doesn't mean some random circumstances won't cause whoever owns this place to kill it off at some point. I just don't see the inevitability others here see.