Old 10-21-2019, 04:19 PM

What's good in the toaster market?

Are toasters something that's upgraded to have nicer features in the last few years or is it the same as it was in the '80s and '90s?

What might someone be on the lookout for that could be nice to have?

The models seem to be either like this: https://www.amazon.ca/CUISINART-CPT-...1688843&sr=8-5 or like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Hamilton-Beach...1688843&sr=8-6 is one type better for one thing?

As for: "What am I going to use it for?" I'm not sure. I'm looking for things I might want to try.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

A basic toaster is good for just that: toasting bread-type items, including bagels. If you're looking for something more versatile, you should opt for a toaster oven, which will have settings for baking, broiling, etc. Even better, get a convection toaster oven which will also do those things, but much faster. If you have the coin, I'd opt for a Breville. Not only are they well rated, but their customer service is unbeatable.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:57 AM

I like the versatility of a toaster oven. Just a few things I use it for where a regular toaster wouldn't do:

--melt cheese on English Muffins when I'm making breakfast sandwiches
--warm up food that would get weird in the microwave
--bake small batches of things when I don't want to heat up the full size oven in the summer
--store loaf of bread when not in use (cat will rip into it otherwise)
Old 10-22-2019, 10:09 AM

I had two modern toasters break within a couple years. Typical China junk. That's all you find on the shelves anymore.

I bought a vintage Sunbeam toaster from eBay. 5 years ago and still works perfectly. I make toast every morning.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-22-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:16 AM

I'd advise only buying from a eBay seller that offers 30 day returns.

My toaster is like this one. I love the auto drop feature. Built to last a lifetime.
https://www.ebay.com/i/153647775349?...waAgUtEALw_wcB

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-22-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I had two modern toasters break within a couple years. Typical China junk. That's all you find on the shelves anymore.

I bought a vintage Sunbeam toaster from eBay. 5 years ago and still works perfectly. I make toast every morning.
Not a bad idea. I have a Toastmaster single waffle iron that is easily 35 years old and makes perfect waffles. I don't think that company even exists in its own right any longer. Probably absorbed by some larger conglomerate.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Even better, get a convection toaster oven which will also do those things, but much faster.
Yes. Convection toaster oven. Much more useful than a slot toaster. Heats up to temp in just a couple of minutes, and cuts cooking time by about 25%. I've got a Oster; I paid about $80 for it on amazon. We've been happy with it.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:53 PM

Ended up getting this convection oven which seemed like a good deal: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Maybe the air fryer variant would have been worth it
Old 10-22-2019, 05:28 PM

sixes, stay away from the fives
Old 10-22-2019, 06:20 PM

I happen to have a Kitchenaid Pro-Line automatic toaster, and it is possibly the greatest technological invention in the history of mankind.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I happen to have a Kitchenaid Pro-Line automatic toaster, and it is possibly the greatest technological invention in the history of mankind.
Very nice looking but three hundred bucks? Upthread someone recommended Breville toasters, and those are also high-end machines but I don't think even they are that expensive.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:27 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:

I've had toasters last me years and years. Even the cheap ones.

FWIW, my biggest issue with toasters is a lot don't have a large enough flat piece of metal on the bottom, so pop tarts will fall deep into the toaster.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Very nice looking but three hundred bucks? Upthread someone recommended Breville toasters, and those are also high-end machines but I don't think even they are that expensive.
True, but if you put a frozen bagel in it, three minutes later it'll beep gently and a perfectly toasted bagel will slowly emerge gracefully from it, like Venus from the waves. You can't put a price on that.

(It was a gift).
Old 10-22-2019, 06:46 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
I'd advise only buying from a eBay seller that offers 30 day returns.

My toaster is like this one. I love the auto drop feature. Built to last a lifetime.
https://www.ebay.com/i/153647775349?...waAgUtEALw_wcB

I'll third for an older/vintage for pop-ups and someone with return.

The only newer "pop ups" I've found any good are specialty ones like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-HDT...58669092&psc=1
and I don't know if that brand offers a toast toaster. And they could be good just because they don't (at least I don't) use them a ton.

Last edited by kopek; 10-22-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

As a kid, in old movies and TV shows, I would see from time to time someone using a toaster that literally launched the toast into the air, to be caught by the character making breakfast. I was disappointed to find that really doesn't happen, no matter which toaster you buy.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:09 PM

I like my Breville long-slot "Lift and Look" toaster. It's about $80. I wasn't going to buy a toaster, I was getting along fine without one (also no microwave). My MIL insisted on buying us one. The toasting isn't quite as even as I'd like, but otherwise is great. It can handle larger sizes of bread, the "bagel" setting is good for hamburger buns.

I'm happy with all my Breville stuff, I also have an automatic tea maker and a single serve blender.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:14 AM

Toaster ovens are terrific if you're cooking for one. Scale down nearly any food you'd bake or roast in a regular oven.

I often did a singlr bone-in skin-on chicken breast, with some sliced potatoes and onion, in a shallow pan in the toaster oven. All that roasted goodness, without heating up the whole damn kitchen.

(.. and count me as another one secretly disappointed that there's no "fly thru the air!" toaster. Though I guess that'd be a right pain in the ass, in real life.)
Old 10-23-2019, 08:34 AM

The Classic Dualit is pretty bullet proof. Not cheap but it'll probably be the only one you'll ever need. It is a bit like Samuel Vimes's theory on cheap boots. I've probably spent 200 on adequate toasters over my married life but if I'd spent that much on a Dualit first thing it would have easily lasted the whole period and I've have had really great toast throughout. I did use that approach with our Magimix food processor and I've had 25+ years of heavy-duty usage without a blip. Sometimes it is worth spending a bit more.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:58 AM

I'd like to get one of those toasters they use in France. It must be a clever design or else they'd get clogged up with egg all the time.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:31 AM

We bought a new toaster in the past year or 2 when our old one crapped out. Given our age/$, we could buy whatever toaster we wanted. And we tend to like nice, dependable things. My wife checked out (seemingly) a million different ones, including some awfully pricey (IMO) ones. I think she tried really hard to convince herself to buy either the SMEG or Duolit, but just couldn't convince herself to pay that much for something that we used not terribly frequently to brown toast or English muffins.

Not sure what brand she ended up buying. It is white, and has one long - and wide - slot. I think a selling point was that it is relatively narrow front-to-back, so it can be pushed back under the upper cabinets, and does not take up much counter space when not in use. Yeah, it succeeds in making the bread hot and brown - which is all I wanted. And apparently my wife is satisfied w/ how it looks on the counter.

Don't get me started on the search for a new coffee-maker! Oughtn't these things last FOREVER?!

Last edited by Dinsdale; 10-23-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
...(.. and count me as another one secretly disappointed that there's no "fly thru the air!" toaster. Though I guess that'd be a right pain in the ass, in real life.)
I have a friend who used to have a toaster oven that shot open, sending the toast off the little shelf. It was especially exciting if you set the toaster too high. On more than one occasion, it apparently shot burning toast across the table.