Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-22-2019, 08:32 AM
davidmich is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,274

Question regarding German


Hi

How can I formulate "My father's friend's son"

der Sohn des Freundes meines Vaters or "mein Vaters Freunds Sohn"(??)

I look forward to your feedback
  #2  
Old 10-22-2019, 08:56 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,470
der Sohn meines Vaters Freund
  #3  
Old 10-22-2019, 09:15 AM
DerNils is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 73
You had it right the first time: "Der Sohn des Freundes meines Vaters".
Technically correct but not used because it sounds weird would be "Meines Vaters Freundes Sohn."

MrDibble, I am afraid your suggestion is maybe possible following the strict rules, but no German would ever say it either, because it would be too hard to put the inflection clear enough to distinguish between "my fathers son" and "my fathers friends son".
  #4  
Old 10-22-2019, 04:36 PM
davidmich is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerNils View Post
You had it right the first time: "Der Sohn des Freundes meines Vaters".
Technically correct but not used because it sounds weird would be "Meines Vaters Freundes Sohn."

MrDibble, I am afraid your suggestion is maybe possible following the strict rules, but no German would ever say it either, because it would be too hard to put the inflection clear enough to distinguish between "my fathers son" and "my fathers friends son".
I wonder how a conversation would go with that mouthful. Germans would probably break it up into something like:

Wer ist denn das in Foto?
Das da ist der Sohn des Freundes meines Vaters or "Du kennst ja mein Vaters Freund...Das ist der/sein Sohn/Das ist der Sohn von meinem Vaters Freund
  #5  
Old 10-23-2019, 06:03 AM
Remember|me is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern Germany
Posts: 91
I believe in a casual conversation I would rather use a construction that avoids the usage of a double genitive:
"Das ist der Sohn von einem Freund meines Vaters"
  #6  
Old 10-23-2019, 08:00 AM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 27,738
I was expecting German to have a way of making a single, long compound word for it.
  #7  
Old 10-23-2019, 10:39 AM
EinsteinsHund's Avatar
EinsteinsHund is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NRW, Germany
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmich View Post
I wonder how a conversation would go with that mouthful. Germans would probably break it up into something like:

Wer ist denn das in Foto?
Das da ist der Sohn des Freundes meines Vaters or "Du kennst ja mein Vaters Freund...Das ist der/sein Sohn/Das ist der Sohn von meinem Vaters Freund
I have to nitpick here, but you're willing to learn the language correctly, so I think nitpicking is ok:


Wer ist denn das in Foto?

is slightly wrong because of a missing article, in this case the dative:

Wer ist denn das in dem Foto? or with the contraction of in + dem: Wer ist denn das im Foto?

Du kennst ja mein Vaters Freund

is the genetive, so it should be

Du kennst ja meines Vaters Freund.

Das ist der Sohn von meinem Vaters Freund is just plain wrong on more than one level.
__________________
And if my thought-dreams could be seen
They’d probably put my head in a guillotine

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 10-23-2019 at 10:43 AM.
  #8  
Old 10-23-2019, 11:39 AM
davidmich is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
I have to nitpick here, but you're willing to learn the language correctly, so I think nitpicking is ok:


Wer ist denn das in Foto?

is slightly wrong because of a missing article, in this case the dative:

Wer ist denn das in dem Foto? or with the contraction of in + dem: Wer ist denn das im Foto?

Du kennst ja mein Vaters Freund

is the genetive, so it should be

Du kennst ja meines Vaters Freund.

Das ist der Sohn von meinem Vaters Freund is just plain wrong on more than one level.
Thanks EinsteinsHund. Very helpful. Thank you all.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017