Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 10:14 PM

About General Questions [complaint about a warning]

According to the forum description and the FAQ, GQ is about factual information.

How do posts that start with "I hope" fit in? Shouldn't that be in IMHO or MPSIMS?
Old 01-21-2020, 10:26 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Which thread would that be?
Old 01-21-2020, 10:30 PM

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...8&postcount=16
Old 01-21-2020, 10:32 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Which thread would that be?
He's complaining about the fact that I gave him a warning here after two snarky and irrelevant pokes at other posters in GQ.

People are not prohibited from making non-factual remarks in GQ, and of course it would be impossible to moderate every such remark. They are, however, prohibited from being jerks to other posters, which is what the OP was warned for.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:34 PM
SD Curator of Critters

I edited the title to indicate what this is about.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
People are not prohibited from making non-factual remarks in GQ, and of course it would be impossible to moderate every such remark.
Then please change the forum description. "I hope" is NOT factual information.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Neither was your reply
Old 01-21-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Neither was your reply
You're right. That's a fair criticism.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:56 PM

You could find a new hobby. You've been here 5+ years and still don't get how the place works?
Old 01-21-2020, 10:56 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
It says the forum is for factual questions, not that every single statement in it has to be factual. And even if a statement is non-factual, that doesn't give you the right to attack the person making it.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I think the difference is that the "I hope..." poster wasn't also being a jerk.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
It says the forum is for factual questions, not that every single statement in it has to be factual. And even if a statement is non-factual, that doesn't give you the right to attack the person making it.
And for the second time in two days I agree with you. My internet router definitely needs a firmware update.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:48 AM

To be fair, it took a while for me to "get it" when it comes to "General Questions". You can give an opinion if it pertains directly to the question and doesn't push some kind of personal agenda not pertaining directly to the question.

On the other hand, some people create posts in "GQ" that definitely belong in "Great Debates" or "IMHO" instead. Best thing to do then in my mind is ask that they be moved.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
On the other hand, some people create posts in "GQ" that definitely belong in "Great Debates" or "IMHO" instead.
It can be ludicrous. "Which is better: Pepsi or Coke?" Then you actually get a series of painstaking "objective" explanations until the forum gets changed.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:37 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Expressing opinions in GQ mainly becomes a problem when it leads to a hijack or debate, or a thread becomes just a bunch of anecdotes or opinions. In such cases, a mod may either instruct that the hijack be dropped (if there is reason to expect that further factual information may be presented), or the thread may be moved to Great Debates or IMHO as circumstances warrant.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

No complaints about the warning but weeding out of the constant stream of IMHO glurge in GQ would be appreciated, including that "I hope" post.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I think part of the charm of GQ is that you get actual people talking about the topic, rather than a dry "just the facts, ma'am" answer or webpage link.

In a thread about sensory issues, people mention their own sensory issues, even if it doesn't answer the specific question, it does provide a broader appreciation for the topic at large.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
I think part of the charm of GQ is that you get actual people talking about the topic, rather than a dry "just the facts, ma'am" answer or webpage link.

In a thread about sensory issues, people mention their own sensory issues, even if it doesn't answer the specific question, it does provide a broader appreciation for the topic at large.
We have an entire forum dedicated sharing personal stories. Nobody is stopping them from posting there.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
You could find a new hobby. You've been here 5+ years and still don't get how the place works?
He's been trying to change how the place works since his fifth post or so.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Well, if we're going to severely restrict the GQ from having non-factual information, from having some opinions or even humor leak in with the truth,

then let's go back and get all of Cecil's columns edited to reflect that. We can purify not only this board but also the source that eventually evolved into this board.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should start a Pit thread to rant about it. I'm sure lots of posters will be happy to contribute in one way or another.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:21 PM

Whoa! There's another factor to consider that everybody, moderator included, seems to be forgetting or not mentioning (although Colibri hints at it in Post #15):

We have an established convention that GQ threads must remain strictly factual and on-topic until the initial question has been adequately answered or until a dozen-or-so responses have been posted, whichever comes first. After that, threads are allowed to meander (within some vaguely-moderator-defined limits).

Is that rule not still the rule?

Seems to me, I've been seeing more frequent moderator interventions (mostly mod notes, occasional warnings) when GQ (or even other) threads meander off-topic or get into IMHO territory in GQ threads, even when the above criteria have been met, even when the resulting conversation remains civil and (in some people's opinions) interesting. It seems a shame to have those conversations squelched under these circumstances, but I see that happening a lot. (Sorry, no examples right at hand; this is just my impression.)

I thought D'Anconia's remarks were borderline snarky (probably not enough to be moddable except for his established history of being snarky). But his complaint that other posts were IMHO doesn't hold up, and the IMHO nature of his own posts should also be acceptable at that point in the thread.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:49 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Is that rule not still the rule?
Pretty much. Though if no factual responses have been submitted after a dozen posts I'm likely to boot it over to IMHO.

Quote:
Seems to me, I've been seeing more frequent moderator interventions (mostly mod notes, occasional warnings) when GQ (or even other) threads meander off-topic or get into IMHO territory in GQ threads, even when the above criteria have been met, even when the resulting conversation remains civil and (in some people's opinions) interesting. It seems a shame to have those conversations squelched under these circumstances, but I see that happening a lot. (Sorry, no examples right at hand; this is just my impression.)
I believe your impression is wrong. At least, I haven't changed my moderation practice regarding this.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
I thought D'Anconia's remarks were borderline snarky (probably not enough to be moddable except for his established history of being snarky). But his complaint that other posts were IMHO doesn't hold up, and the IMHO nature of his own posts should also be acceptable at that point in the thread.
I disagree, and apparently so does Colibri. I found aruqvan's and Llama Llogophile's to be at least related to the topic. aruqvan was sharing personal experience with being sensory sensitive, and Llama Llogophile's post was expressing a related desire for more sensory friendly environments.

Whereas D'Anconia was making personal jabs at other posters, not relating to the issue of the thread at all. He wasn't modded for posting opinions in a GQ thread, he was modded for being a jerk.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Pretty much. Though if no factual responses have been submitted after a dozen posts I'm likely to boot it over to IMHO...
On this, if I may, let me fine-tune the the mods' practice in GQ which I particularly like and which shows respect to the forum: a mod will clear his throat, so to speak, if the _first_ reply to an acceptable OP is along the lines of the otherwise permitted and engaging "non-factual" commentary from the bleachers permitted to an extent, including even [!] some sequential badinage. (But not persiflage. I think. Will go look the word up now).

The worst that you can say about that policy, based on personal experience, is when you're dying to make a funny and have to restrain yourself for moment or two.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:37 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Pig Detective View Post
So people are allowed to make non-factual remarks, but I got a warning for making a factual one?
It's been explained why you got a warning. It wasn't for making a factual remark.

Moderator Instructions

Your complaint has been fully addressed in your original thread, which is now closed. Do not bring up this warning again. In particular, do not bump other threads on other subjects to complain about it, and do not start another thread about it. Violation of these instructions may result in another warning.

Colibri

This is closed.

Last edited by Colibri; 01-26-2020 at 03:21 PM.
Closed Thread