Old 02-11-2020, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
All four federal prosecutors quit the Roger Stone case after DOJ overrules them on sentencing request: https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/11/polit...ent/index.html
I'm surprised because this was right after Trump publicly said "This is a horrible and very unfair situation. The real crimes were on the other side, as nothing happens to them. Cannot allow this miscarriage of justice!"

My surprise is that it looks like Trump actually followed through on a promise he made.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:57 PM
SDSAB

If it involves undermining the rule of law and corroding constitutional norms, those are promises he can pretty much be depended on to keep.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
The future of the Republican Party depends on people like you. They need to have party members who are willing to tell them the party needs to stand for some principle greater than just staying in power.
I was not registered in the Republican party until spring of 2018 hoping to be something of a counter to the wingnut branch. I was registered Libertarian before that.

To be perfectly honest, while the email is 100% true, there is a spin on it: I've never voted for any Republican Presidential candidate, either.* I have voted D and the occasional R down ticket -- certainly to get rid of Joe Arpaio but not for President.

*My first Presidential election I could vote was 1972. I was registered in Virginia, one of the two states John Hospers was on the ballot.

Last edited by DesertDog; 02-12-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:26 AM

The addle-brained, Bizarro-world prezident is fine with pardoning war criminals. But testify against him? Firing ain't good enough! Military discipline is the answer!
Old 02-12-2020, 09:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sodomy, or the lash?
Old 02-12-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxgoddess View Post
We may need a "How has Bill Barr pissed you off today?" thread. The nation's top lawyer is instrumental in abandoning the rule of law and replacing it with corruption, lies and the pursuit of power. I can't decide if I loathe him or McConnell more, and I loathe both of them even more than Trump.
So Barr now says he'll deign to talk to the House Judiciary Committee on March 31--about six weeks from now.

I can't help wondering which words he'll ponder the meaning of: surely not "suggest" again, but maybe "know" or "independent".

Personally, I'd like him to tackle the meaning of "toady."

Quote:
... In a letter to Barr confirming his appearance, the Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee indicated they'd press Barr about Stone as well as the removal of the U.S. attorney of D.C. Jessie Liu, who oversaw a slew of sensitive cases that grew out of Mueller's probe of Russian interference in the 2016 election, including the Stone case. The committee also foreshadowed pressing Barr on broader concerns about political influence seeping into the Justice Department.

"In your tenure as Attorney General, you have engaged in a pattern of conduct in legal matters relating to the President that raises significant concerns for this Committee," the panel's Democrats wrote, saying the Stone episode requires "immediate attention." ...
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...mmittee-114601
Old 02-13-2020, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

On the other hand, atheists can use Trump's continued existence as evidence there is no God, or at best, if there is, He's a real twit.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Sodomy, or the lash?
It's the Rum that makes it all palatable.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:52 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Tell me again how the orange clown occupying the White House is not a white supremacist:
Trump attends wedding of white nationalist aide Stephen Miller at his own hotel
Old 02-17-2020, 10:53 PM

Someone married Mr. Evil? Name wasn't Eva by any chance (not passing out clicks)?
Old 02-18-2020, 07:21 AM

And the worthless conman is still a lying sack of dung.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:06 AM

https://apnews.com/de172d45dc32ac97a179939b4a070a69
Quote:
Hours before a court session regarding his longtime ally Roger Stone, President Donald Trump is tweeting that Stone’s recent conviction for witness tampering and lying to Congress “should be thrown out.”

The barrage of Tuesday morning tweets comes days after Trump earned a public rebuke from his own attorney general, William Barr, who had said the president’s tweets were “making it impossible” for Barr to do his job.

Trump tweeted Fox News commentator Andrew Napolitano’s comment that the jury appears to have been biased against Trump and calling out Judge Amy Berman Jackson by name, saying “almost any judge in the country” would throw out the conviction.

Trump added in a subsequent tweet. “Everything having to do with this fraudulent investigation is badly tainted and, in my opinion, should be thrown out.”
Old 02-18-2020, 12:06 PM

OP/ED piece about Trump using his pardon power for political benefit:

Why did Trump just pardon a former owner of the 49ers? In part because he wants to win Ohio.

Quote:
Howland is a bit east of the city of Warren which is itself due northwest of the much larger city of Youngstown. In Youngstown, the DeBartolos weren’t quite royalty, but they weren’t quite not. I knew the name DeBartolo within weeks of moving to the area. They were a family that had risen to national prominence from an area that was more often the subject of mopey songs or depressing news articles about the American economy. Youngstown was a big loser in the economy of the 1970s and 1980s — but could also boast of being the home to the family that owned a team that kept winning the Super Bowl.

Ed DeBartolo Jr. did eventually face criminal charges after being solicited for a bribe by the governor of Louisiana and failing to report it. He agreed in 1998 to serve two years’ probation and pay $1 million in fines. He transferred ownership of the 49ers to his sister Denise DeBartolo York in 2000.

On Tuesday, President Trump granted DeBartolo a full pardon. In the abstract, it’s an odd decision, focused on someone whose infraction was fairly minor and resolved two decades ago. It may be a function in part of the 49ers’ reemergence as a force in the NFL. But it may also be a way to send a signal to a critical part of an important state.

In the 2016 election, Mahoning County, where Youngstown is located, narrowly voted for Hillary Clinton over Trump, though Trump benefited from a 25-point swing in his favor. Trumbull County, where Warren and Howland are located, voted Republican for the first time since 1972. Trump won Ohio by eight points, but polling last year had him trailing some potential Democratic opponents. Locking down Mahoning County, 2 percent of the state’s population, doesn’t hurt Trump’s chances.

There are other reasons for Trump to have been sympathetic to DeBartolo, including that the Youngstown native supported Trump’s presidency. But someone, somewhere, no doubt kept Trump apprised of DeBartolo’s popularity in a region central to American presidential politics.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:34 PM

I figured it was something like that the I read about the pardon this morning; thanks for the info, dasmoocher.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-18-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
https://apnews.com/de172d45dc32ac97a179939b4a070a69

Quote:
Hours before a court session regarding his longtime ally Roger Stone, President Donald Trump is tweeting that Stone’s recent conviction for witness tampering and lying to Congress “should be thrown out.”

The barrage of Tuesday morning tweets comes days after Trump earned a public rebuke from his own attorney general, William Barr, who had said the president’s tweets were “making it impossible” for Barr to do his job.

Trump tweeted Fox News commentator Andrew Napolitano’s comment that the jury appears to have been biased against Trump and calling out Judge Amy Berman Jackson by name, saying “almost any judge in the country” would throw out the conviction.

Trump added in a subsequent tweet. “Everything having to do with this fraudulent investigation is badly tainted and, in my opinion, should be thrown out.”

Funny that Tan the Conman also said this (bolding mine):

Quote:
And though Trump granted clemency to a total of 11 convicted criminals on Tuesday, he said he wasn't thinking about doing the same for Stone.

"I haven't given it any thought," Trump said, though sources have said Trump is weighing taking such a step.

Actually, "I haven't given it any thought" should be this administration's motto. It's obviously his modus operandi.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:45 PM
SDSAB

POTUS commutes Blago's sentence, despite opposition from Illinois GOP leaders, and gives himself a shiny new title too!: https://www.aol.com/article/news/202...dons/23929992/
Old 02-18-2020, 03:50 PM

Stephen Miller's uncle donated to an immigrant rights organization in honor of his nephew's wedding.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/steph...b65f25da4dc356
Old 02-28-2020, 10:34 AM
SDSAB

Dr. Orange, eschewing medicine and science, calls for a "miracle" to protect us from the coronavirus: https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/28/polit...ets/index.html
Old 02-28-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Dr. Orange, eschewing medicine and science, calls for a "miracle" to protect us from the coronavirus: https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/28/polit...ets/index.html
To his credit, he resisted taking a sharpie to the paper chart in his tiny hand.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Thing is, he might actually be right about that, in a roundabout Darth Shit-for-brains way! The virus could mutate into a relatively harmless form, or just die out for reasons we don't understand. Or it could lay waste to populations, no way of guessing.

Now. What if you could press a button that would cause coronavirus to go poof! and disappear, and Il Douche gets credited with a miracle.....would you do it? Kinda have to, wouldn't you?
Old 02-28-2020, 11:21 AM

We're no longer worrying about swine flu, or West Nile Virus, or bird flu, or SARS. This one will "go away" eventually, too. It won't go poof, and it won't be a miracle, and hell no Trump won't deserve any credit for it.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Isn't that Pence's specialty?
Old 02-28-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
To his credit, he resisted taking a sharpie to the paper chart in his tiny hand.
Ahem...
Old 02-28-2020, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure that's a joke. Pretty sure.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:34 AM

Trump tells town hall he plans to cut entitlements, hopes to replace ObamaCare with 'something great'
Quote:
...a Fox News town hall in Scranton, Pennsylvania, on Thursday, Martha McCallum argued that "if you don't cut something in entitlements, you'll never really deal with the debt." "Oh, we'll be cutting," Trump said, but he also promised that, presumably in a second term, the U.S. will see "growth like you never had before.

The Trump administration is also asking the Supreme Court to strike down the Affordable Care Act, and one of the town hall participants asked what Trump envisions as a replacement to ObamaCare. Trump wasn't real specific.

What we'd like to do is totally kill [ObamaCare] but come up, before we do that, with something that's great," Trump said. He claimed that after failing to replace the Affordable Care Act in 2017, he made the choice to manage "the carcass of ObamaCare" rather than sabotage the law, and "we're managing it fantastically."

I guess by talking out of several sides of his mouth simultaneously and contradicting himself repeatedly, he can send to each of his adoring fans whatever message they want to hear. Kind of like the Tower of Babel. In his case, the Tower of Babble.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:03 AM

Oh, yeah, right. That jackass is going back to his NYC conman roots. He says he's going to replace it with something better, but does he tell you what that "something better" is?
Old 03-06-2020, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Doesn't need to. I think we all know better.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:58 AM

He's not even a good con man. He doesn't dazzle with false details or use a couple of key words to show he at least has a tangential idea of the subject matter. He just says he's the best ever at <insert subject here> and his followers automatically suck it up. How does anybody not see right through him in the first three seconds?
Old 03-06-2020, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

People walk into a building centered on a Palestinian executed in a most awful and repulsive fashion and think they are in the presence of a just and loving Deity. Don't go figure.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Thing is, he might actually be right about that, in a roundabout Darth Shit-for-brains way! The virus could mutate into a relatively harmless form, or just die out for reasons we don't understand.
That happens, but it doesn't happen in every individual of the species all at the same time, it's not the Ziegfield Follies. So long as there are bad boy copies out there, those bad boy copies keep making copies of themselves.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
How does anybody not see right through him in the first three seconds?
They're in a cult and either don't realize it or don't give a shit.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
They're in a cult and either don't realize it or don't give a shit.
The Kool-aid causes blindness. Not necessarily temporary.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:00 AM
SDSAB

Il Douche, hoping to calm the markets and rationally explain U.S. government policy on the coronavirus, bellyflops in a major TV address: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/polit...vel/index.html

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 03-12-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:04 PM

I thought his speech was technically awful. His tone was flat & he put unnatural pauses in it like he was pausing at the end of a line of text rather than a comma or a period. He's been president for three years & was a TV star before that yet he sounded like a school student being called to the front of the class to read a random passage out loud. I've seen news footage from his various rallies; he's much more animated & his speech flows better there. Is he never following a teleprompter then? Did he not go over the speech a few times before he read it or was that his first time reading it? It sure sounded like the latter.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
I thought his speech was technically awful. His tone was flat & he put unnatural pauses in it like he was pausing at the end of a line of text rather than a comma or a period. He's been president for three years & was a TV star before that yet he sounded like a school student being called to the front of the class to read a random passage out loud. I've seen news footage from his various rallies; he's much more animated & his speech flows better there. Is he never following a teleprompter then? Did he not go over the speech a few times before he read it or was that his first time reading it? It sure sounded like the latter.
To practice would be to admit he isn’t the most perfect person who ever lived! Also boring! I doubt he uses a teleprompter for his rallies, instead opting for a combination of whatever pops into his atrophied brain and his standard canned words and phrases such as “lock her up,” hoax, tremendous, beautiful, etc and calling his opponents names.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:16 PM

I think he's sick.

Here's why.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
That's always been the case. At his rallies he just riffs on whatever pops into his head - dishwashers, the Oscars, you name it. So the content is completely bonkers, but he sounds animated and human.

When he reads off a teleprompter, he's terrible. I'd say he sounds robotic but Alexa sounds more human than he does.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

A bit of video captured after il Doofus apparently thought the cameras were off, showing him saying "Okaaaayyy..." in the tone of a bratty toddler who doesn't quite dare to continue with "...I finished the goddamn green beans; can I go now?"
Old 03-12-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
A bit of video captured after il Doofus apparently thought the cameras were off, showing him saying "Okaaaayyy..." in the tone of a bratty toddler who doesn't quite dare to continue with "...I finished the goddamn green beans; can I go now?"
"There! That ought to hold the little bastards."
Old 03-12-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
He's been president for three years & was a TV star before that yet he sounded like a school student being called to the front of the class to read a random passage out loud.
As people have noted, there's manic rally Trump and downer teleprompter Trump.

In many other situations, like when talking about the coronavirus or other subjects he doesn't comprehend, I've always thought Trump has sounded like a middle school student giving to the class a book report on something he hasn't read but he's so narcissistic he believes they will believe his bullshit:

Trump: "The book I read is called To Kill a Mockingbird. It's about this scout who is in a race to find and kill a mockingbird..."
Old 03-12-2020, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Well, I used to say he's pissed me off by still breathing, and I guess that's still true. But since he's made so many stupid statements about the coronzvirus I'd like to see him test positive.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
I was going to say that at least he didn't make a joke about bombing Russia but of course he would never joke about that. Bombing California, though...
Old 03-13-2020, 06:04 AM

I'm pissed off at Trump for going on national TV and flat-out lying about this pandemic. I'm also pissed off at the House of Representatives for not impeaching him for that stunt.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:46 PM

I was listening to the Science Friday podcast today. They did a piece on mental health problems among farmers, and how stressed they were about the current economic conditions that apparently aren't all that good for farmers, with rising bankruptcies and tariffs and stuff.

I'm afraid my reaction was to turn it off, saying to myself, "To hell with you, you got what you voted for."

What pisses me off here is that President Chump is causing me to really despise people who were stupid enough to support him. I don't like feeling that way.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
I was listening to the Science Friday podcast today. They did a piece on mental health problems among farmers, and how stressed they were about the current economic conditions that apparently aren't all that good for farmers, with rising bankruptcies and tariffs and stuff.

I'm afraid my reaction was to turn it off, saying to myself, "To hell with you, you got what you voted for."

What pisses me off here is that President Chump is causing me to really despise people who were stupid enough to support him. I don't like feeling that way.
Both your reactions--despising those who helped make Trump President, and disliking despising them--are perfectly reasonable, in my view.

As our species developed, those with the capacity to negatively judge those who endangered the entire group, were more likely to survive and reproduce. So you come by this distaste for the careless and stupid among us quite naturally.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 03-14-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post

Funny - I was just thinking about Science Friday the other day. I haven't listened to it in years, and was thinking I should probably add it back into my podcast queue.

The reason I was thinking about it was because of a piece they did years ago when the serious anti-vax movement was gaining steam. The interview was with, I'm pretty sure, Dr. Anthony Fauci, and they took listener questions. An anti-vaxxer called in and was trying to argue her position in the face of the good Dr. Fauci's facts. At one point, Ira Flatow asked the caller, "is there anything Dr. Fauci could say that could lead you to change your mind." The caller just flat-out said, "no," and the conversation ended.

I feel the same way about the anti-vaxxers and this caller as you and I do about these farmers, and I similarly feel bad for feeling this way about them.

Last edited by carlb; 03-15-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:27 PM

Last edited by slumtrimpet; 03-15-2020 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 03-15-2020, 12:29 PM

That fucking fucker pisses me off every day, and lately several times a day, but this has left me speechless.

Quote:
Trump offers 'large sums' for exclusive access to coronavirus vaccine

German government tries to fight off aggressive takeover bid by US, say reports
Quote:
According to an anonymous source quoted in the newspaper, Trump was doing everything to secure a vaccine against the coronavirus for the US, “but for the US only”.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

"Lovely country you've got here, be a shame if anything were to...happen to it. By the way, how many ventilators do you have?"
Old 03-15-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumtrimpet View Post
That fucking fucker pisses me off every day, and lately several times a day, but this has left me speechless.

I don't even have to look on Twitter or online comments section to know that there are plenty of trumpeters now accusing that company and/or Germany of "hating America" now.

Last edited by Monty; 03-15-2020 at 05:04 PM.