Old 10-27-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

NFL: Two Point Defensive Converts?

Interesting play in the CFL this weekend.

Calgary Stampeders scored a touchdown against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Lined up for the point after.

Bad snap, ball wobbly, and the kick goes wide. No convert for Calgary.

The Bombers player in the end zone fields the ball and runs it out.

All the way! Makes 120 yard run into the other end zone.

Two point defensive convert for the Bombers

In a game the Bombers eventually win by one point, so a big play in a close game.

Can that happen in the NFL?

Last edited by Northern Piper; 10-27-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:42 AM

not the 120 yard part(meant as a joke not snark), otherwise I believe so. Might only be one point though IIRC.

Last edited by rsat3acr; 10-27-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Can that happen in the NFL?
Yep. In 2015, the NFL instituted a rule allowing it. Stephone Ambrose of the Saints became the first player in the NFL to do it on December 6th of that year.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:53 AM

There was one in the Falcons-Chiefs game a few years ago. Near the end of the game Atlanta scored a TD to go up 28-27. They tried a 2-point conversion to go up by three, but KC ran it back for their own 2 points, and won the game (by the same 29-28 as the CFL game ). Itís especially tough for the team giving up the return, because they still have to kick off after allowing the points.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borschevsky View Post
There was one in the Falcons-Chiefs game a few years ago. Near the end of the game Atlanta scored a TD to go up 28-27. They tried a 2-point conversion to go up by three, but KC ran it back for their own 2 points, and won the game (by the same 29-28 as the CFL game ). Itís especially tough for the team giving up the return, because they still have to kick off after allowing the points.
This wasn't exactly like the OP described, as this was an attempt by the offense for a two-point conversion. However, the outcome is the same. And if an extra point attempt is blocked, it can be returned by the defense for two points as well. This rule was instituted in 2015; here is the first time it happened.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Ah - blocked kick. I was thinking that there wouldn't be a player in the end zone, because the goal posts are at the back, but a blocked kick or intercepted 2 point conversion would let it happen.

The one on Friday night was only the second time I've seen it.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 10-27-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:56 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Ah - blocked kick. I was thinking that there wouldn't be a player in the end zone, because the goal posts are at the back, but a blocked kick or intercepted 2 point conversion would let it happen.
Due to the placement of the goal posts in the NFL, most teams rarely put a deep back in the field goal defense team, unless it's a long attempt (well over 50 yards), since, as you'd expect, the vast majority of missed field goals are wide (and, thus, are landing well past the end line of the end zone), rather than short.

There are a few examples in the NFL of long field goals winding up short, and being returned for touchdowns -- here's Devin Hester returning one for 108 yards in 2006, but it's a pretty rare play, and off of a much longer kick than an extra point.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 10-27-2019 at 04:00 PM.