Old 12-05-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K364 View Post
Well, the Michaels treatment needs an explicit agreement, however your partner holding 2056 was kind of dense (sorry) not to figure it out.

I like Michaels there because LHO couldn't open a 5 card major and RHO couldn't respond with a 4 card major, so there is a lot of room for Michaels hands.

Curious about the other hands. If you bid 2S, what follows? I'm sure I couldn't resist bidding hearts twice if allowed.
Partner knew perfectly well that it was Michaels, but decided to bale out early holding KQ9xx of diamonds. She is a good player - has won a National Championship - but I think got this wrong.

I think 2S would buy it. The hands were hand-dealt and there are no hand records, but they have no fit and 21 points between them, so probably don't compete any higher. The strange thing is that LHO had a heart in her diamonds, otherwise would open 1H (5-card majors), which changes the auction completely. Partner now probably bids 2NT over a 1H opening and I would bid 3S and there it would stop. That's what happened at the other table.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Scissors View Post
Good thread bump Amarone - I'm just lashing the bots on BBO at the moment, not playing much IRL. Took a break from our local league this year for legit time reasons, but also my partnership feels like it has run its course.
Have you tried FunBridge? I now play that much more than BBO. If you play with and against robots, the FB one (Argine) is much better than BBO's GIB. And you can play EBU tournaments on FB.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarone View Post
Have you tried FunBridge? I now play that much more than BBO. If you play with and against robots, the FB one (Argine) is much better than BBO's GIB. And you can play EBU tournaments on FB.
Not tried Funbridge, should check it out. I sort of know Gibs flaws (of which there are many) so can cater to them, although I don't go out of my way to exploit them like some players do.
Is best hand the default on FB for Argine? I don't mind it but it does essentially make BBO declarer practice as far as real bridge goes.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Scissors View Post
Not tried Funbridge, should check it out. I sort of know Gibs flaws (of which there are many) so can cater to them, although I don't go out of my way to exploit them like some players do.
Is best hand the default on FB for Argine? I don't mind it but it does essentially make BBO declarer practice as far as real bridge goes.
It's not best hand (which is a distortion compared to FtF bridge), but is biased so that you are declarer more often than defending. I played a 20-board tournament today and declared 18 times. That is unusual, though - I would say you typically declare about 70% of the time.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Let's try to resurrect some interest in this thread. Maybe even entice Quartz out of lurkdom.

Fun hand. Matchpoints, nonvul vs vul. Void x AQx KQJ1098xx. 2D (weak) - 2S - 3D to you. Your call.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fun hand. Matchpoints, nonvul vs vul. Void x AQx KQJ1098xx. 2D (weak) - 2S - 3D to you. Your call.
I'd be sorely tempted to bid 3NT. I don't like doing that with a void in partner's suit, but he can surely stop spades and I'd guess hearts. The problem might be communication.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Let's try to resurrect some interest in this thread. Maybe even entice Quartz out of lurkdom.

The hand has only 12 cards.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petek View Post
The hand has only 12 cards.
Sorry - add another club. It was a 9-card suit.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:06 AM

KJ diamonds are off side and pard prob has a stiff diamond.
Slam looks like it needs pard to have both round aces plus at least one other club, or just club ace and LHO to be bad and lead a diamond. Too much uncertainty at MPs so I'm taking the low road and trying to make some money with 3N.

Heart lead could create problems but reckon pard has my back here.

Double and then some number of clubs will certainly get your shape across but don't think I want to go past 3N here.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

3NT?? You guys are true match point hounds.

Partner rates to have:
- zero or one diamond.
- not five hearts.

So I'm thinking at least one or two clubs.

For the club slam, obviously the ace of hearts and ace of clubs are the crucial cards. How do you find out about them? Blackwood is not going to help. Bidding clubs slowly will get little cooperation from partner and may get you dropped in 5C.

So, I'll just bid 6C. A diamond lead is likely and will help you... and you might still make 6C missing both crucial aces... RHO holding them cannot Lightner double since that would call for a spade lead.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K364 View Post
3NT?? You guys are true match point hounds.

Partner rates to have:
- zero or one diamond.
- not five hearts.

So I'm thinking at least one or two clubs.

For the club slam, obviously the ace of hearts and ace of clubs are the crucial cards. How do you find out about them? Blackwood is not going to help. Bidding clubs slowly will get little cooperation from partner and may get you dropped in 5C.

So, I'll just bid 6C. A diamond lead is likely and will help you... and you might still make 6C missing both crucial aces... RHO holding them cannot Lightner double since that would call for a spade lead.
This.

That was almost exactly my thinking. Partner could have bid 3D with a major 2-suiter so rates to have one or two clubs. I reckoned partner might need only one ace - any one of them - so surely had that after overcalling. Even the AS can be enough. On the likely diamond lead, I ruff the second diamond and discard my heart on AS.

LHO led a duly led a diamond and partner tabled an aceless wonder: KQxxxx Q10xx x xx. To repeat my hand: void x AQx KQJ1098xxx. Win the diamond, ruff a diamond. KS, covered and ruffed. Ruff my AD, cash QS throwing the heart away. +1090.

It would also have made on a spade lead.

Those of you bidding 3NT will likely make 10 tricks if they fail to cash out. With all those clubs hidden, they may not perceive the need. 430 gets you an average. The most common score was 5C doubled, making. Two pairs beat 5C - heart lead and cash AC.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
LHO led a duly led a diamond and partner tabled an aceless wonder: KQxxxx Q10xx x xx. To repeat my hand: void x AQx KQJ1098xxx. Win the diamond, ruff a diamond. KS, covered and ruffed. Ruff my AD, cash QS throwing the heart away. +1090.

It would also have made on a spade lead.
Who leads a D after that bidding missing the AQ? Declarer is obviously ready for that with the A or a void? Partner didn't double for a spade lead, so I'd lead a heart. Partner wins the A and you're set as you must lose the AC. If a club is selected as a safe lead. Partner wins the A and cashes the heart A which is much safer than the trying to cash AS. Or if a D is returned, you have two diamond losers and can't discard both.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:44 AM

I think the diamond lead is a bit naive but not completely unreasonable - sure, declarer won't have gone straight to 6 with two quick diamond losers, but he didn't investigate NT which suggests he has at least one red suit unstoppered. So it's quite possible that he has a singleton diamond that will go away on a spade if you don't take partner's ace early - and partner, with a view of dummy, may have a better idea of what suit to lead next.

I hate those sort of hands. What usually happens when I'm declarer is that when I chicken out in 5 it makes 6 and when I bid 6 LHO tanks for a subjective month and then lays down HA "to look at dummy". Even 3NT, which is what I'd probably bid at matchpoints, is not at all comfortable (partner could easily have no Heart stop, or a single stop and no HA).
Old 12-15-2019, 12:38 PM

Diamond lead is really bad there, and I say that as an authority on making bad leads

Declarer's got you covered, obv free finesse situation. Pard knows your hand, lead the heart to tell him you've got a broken suit and need one back.

Still, slam is the bid at teams - good players make bad leads all the time, let's make them find it. Plus some players are scared of losing the post mortem so will unthinkingly lead their suit.