Old 03-10-2019, 10:56 PM

an unfortunate Mets fan

I'm not sure if I should create a Mets thread, or should this go in a general baseball thread?

Assuming the former -

Mark this down on your Mets calendar. Saturday, April 6. Todd Frazier bobblehead day! This is the best promotion they can come up with? Sunday, June 16 you can get a Mets hat, when they play the Cardinals. I got a hat years ago and it was the cheapest hat you can imagine. Maybe I wait until July 7 and Spiderman bobblehead day. WTF? Or July 27, Mr Met on the Moon. Again, WTF? I hate being a Mets fan.

But, as usual, looking foreward to the season. If their pitchers stay healthy, they have a chance.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:11 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Sorry, but your thread title is a tautology.

Last edited by Colibri; 03-11-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Yeah, what are the other kinds?

I love going to the games but there is nothing more ridiculous than giveaway days. I've no idea why people show up early and jam the entrances to get some Chinese-made garbage. I've inadvertently gotten a dozen or more giveaway things and without exception all ended up in the trash or given away to another fan. I kept the Eric Hinske bobblehead for awhile until he turned into, well, Eric Hinske. Given the prices I paid to get in it wasn't really free.

So, poor Mets fans, you are not alone in marvelling at how shitty the promotions are.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes
Mark this down on your Mets calendar. Saturday, April 6. Todd Frazier bobblehead day! This is the best promotion they can come up with?
I once went to an Astros' game featuring a luggage tag giveaway.

And yeah, my first thought on seeing the thread title was that there are no other kinds of Mets fans.

Maybe management could expand on the bobblehead theme by having other bobbling body parts to celebrate Mets player injuries.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

I use my Con Edison-branded Yankee baseball caps all the time, especially when doing outdoor work, because I don't mind it getting horribly sweaty and/or destroyed. I think I have another that is Blue Cross/Blue Shield branded. And I use my Yankee keyring. I did give away my Met piggy banks to my nephew and niece, who barely know about baseball (the side effect of my sister-in-law marrying an Australian - still, they know football...excuse me, soccer...and in these parts they'll find many, many similar fans).

Other than the hats, a miniature bat or three and some commemorative stamps I've saved, hard to remember what other Yankee gear I've gotten over the years on giveaway days. And I've been to a LOT of Yankee games and have gotten a LOT of junk. What always gets me is that the Yankees average attendance is in the low 40,000s - why only order 18,000 items? Unless they are playing in the rain on a cold April day, there is going to be at least 30000 people in the stadium. Order 30000 and let everyone get some cheap promo item.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:44 AM

The Royals once gave away bobbleheads of Tony Pena Jr., a light-hitting shortstop who was at best mediocre for one year, and then absolutely abysmal afterward. With all due respect to Met fan misery (some of the caused by my beloved Royals), I don't think Neil Walker can claim the give-away nadir from that one.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:05 PM

There are always some lame giveaways. I think the baseball ones are the worst - they're always some really cheap non-leather baseball that look terrible and you can't use to play catch with because they're so slippery.

But I think some of the bobbleheads are fun. Seems they try to make them a little more specific to the player, such as this one, which is not at all related to the OP or his thread title.

Last edited by Munch; 03-11-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:18 PM

Oh, I dunno; I personally think this Michael A. Taylor/Game of Thrones figurine is pretty neat.

Last edited by ekedolphin; 03-11-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Oh, I dunno; I personally think this Michael A. Taylor/Game of Thrones figurine is pretty neat.
It looks like that was made by accident.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

You'll have to take my Aaron Jedi Judge bobblehead from my cold, dead hands.

But yeah, I've gotten a lot of crap over the years.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Anybody want a Wade Boggs Tampa Bay Devil Rays bobblehead commemorating his 3000th hit? I have an extra. Or two.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:54 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Quote:
That is minor-league style promotional material at its best. The difference being there'd only be a thousand of those made for a AAA team.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:59 AM

I've made good use of my Terry Francona bobblehead by creating a diorama in my office at work, illlustrating what could happen to Terry if he fails to bring a championship to Cleveland in 2019.

*the menacing figure with the bat behind Terry Francona is a Will Middlebrooks bobblehead from his days with the Portland Sea Dogs - a highly coveted piece of baseball memorabilia that I'm willing to let go to the highest bidder.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
That's a lot better than ugly the Taijuan "White" Walker bobblehead.