Old 03-16-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I think if they improve the batteries enough, there will be more small phones on the market. Especially if they improve the battery and also develop a (foldable/rollable/stretchable) larger screen that can be unfurled when desired.
Yep, this is sort of what I'm waiting for. Though I have no need for a bigger screen.

The Apple iWatch sort of tried with the smaller size, but frankly, I think it's ridiculous. Why wear another device on your wrist that is connected to your phone? Perhaps I misunderstand the tech.

Sort of like when people where wearing Blue tooth hearing buds in their ears where ever they went so they could look like an android that talks to itself.

Myself, I'm in GIS, so am no stranger to new technologies. But sometimes you have to just say. "Um... No."
Old 03-16-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
It was quite eerie. So it's been around a while but I don't know if anyone is using stuff like this.

You can buy it for yourself.

As for adapting it to phones, I don't know if the physics of it would allow it to scale properly, but there will soon be phones (and televisions) where the screen is the speaker.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
It uses a flat panel of micro speakers. So there's some size there. To have something like this on a phone would be impractical unless you're willing to give up a good chunk of screen size.

OTOH, since the system is dynamic, the phone camera could track you and direct the sound to wherever you were relative to the phone. (And to the person standing behind you! )
The new technique doesn't use any speakers, just a laser and a rotating mirror. Here's an article on it.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
The new technique doesn't use any speakers, just a laser and a rotating mirror. Here's an article on it.
I got that. But try adapting it to something like smart phone world.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
A hijack, if I may. Could this technology not be used 'in reverse' to eavesdrop on a unsuspecting target? (And, possibly even through, say, a window pane?)

Last edited by KarlGauss; 03-16-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
A hijack, if I may. Could this technology not be used 'in reverse' to eavesdrop on a unsuspecting target? (And, possibly even through, say, a window pane?)
For a window pane, you're probably better off with a laser microphone. And for general remote listening, a parabolic microphone will do the trick.

That said--yes, microphone arrays are a thing. In fact, the Amazon Echo devices (and probably similar devices) already use them for noise isolation--they can listen clearly to an individual speaker even when there are other noise sources in the room. Mine show me a little LED indicator in the direction I'm standing in.