Old 03-22-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
So what reforms do you propose? Require corroboration in rape cases? That used to be a safeguard in the system until the left raised hell over it and got rid of it.
That was a safeguard? Tell me exactly how corroboration worked as a safeguard in rape cases?
Old 03-22-2019, 12:20 PM

The Left is definitely against rape, yes.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Once we recognize this shortcoming, it should be equally abhorrent that people are spending life in prison (or any time in prison) based upon the admittedly poor evidence.
Abhorrent, yes, but not equally abhorrent. Wrongful execution is worse than wrongful imprisonment. If you don't understand this, I don't know how to explain it to you.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
That was a safeguard? Tell me exactly how corroboration worked as a safeguard in rape cases?
Did you see my earlier post where Justice Kennedy discussed the unreliability and dangers of execution an innocent person because of child testimony in this regard? A corroboration requirement lessens this possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
The Left is definitely against rape, yes.
Wonderful. So is everyone else. But I would like people to actually be guilty of it before being imprisoned or executed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Abhorrent, yes, but not equally abhorrent. Wrongful execution is worse than wrongful imprisonment. If you don't understand this, I don't know how to explain it to you.
I don't understand it and neither do the prisoners who commit suicide instead of doing a long prison sentence.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Wonderful. So is everyone else. But I would like people to actually be guilty of it before being imprisoned or executed.
Everyone? The grabber in chief? He does not seem to be concerned with consent anyway, and his supporters seem to be ok with consent violations also. Sure didn't prevent them from voting for it in a president.

I would also like those convicted to be guilty.

I would also like women to not be afraid to come forward because nothing will happen and nobody will be held accountable. I want rich kids that rape a woman behind a dumpster to actually get a sentence commensurate with the crime. Not a slap on the wrist for fear of affecting his future. I would like those who use their positions of power to take advantage of women under them to be held accountable. Does "everyone" agree with those things? Sure as hell doesn't seem like it.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
Is nobody questioning the "will of the voters" bit? Why should voters get to decide who lives and dies? If the voters got together and decided that a government-appointed rapist should rape individuals that the voters say deserve it, would that be okay? Some things should be off limits to being decided by popularity contests. Most things, actually.
There are very few mobs that represent justice.

We want to hurt those that have hurt us. We want them to suffer the way that we have suffered. We want to make sure that if anyone causes harm, at least that much harm is caused to him. If someone punches me in the face, I want to punch him back.

That's human nature.

Justice is something else entirely. Justice is supposed to determine if these punishments work towards the betterment of society. If someone doesn't get punished as much as he "deserves*", but that works out better for society, then great, we should go with what is in the interests of society, not what will satisfy our primal urges.

*deserves: as determined by people who seek revenge.