Old 03-15-2019, 12:58 AM

North Korea threatens to suspend denuclearization talks with the United States, reports say
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Post
TOKYO — North Korea is considering suspending denuclearization talks with the United States unless Washington changes its stance after the breakdown of a summit meeting in Hanoi between President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, a senior official said Friday.

Kim Jong Un is set to make an official announcement soon on whether to continue diplomatic talks and maintain the country’s moratorium on missile launches and nuclear tests, Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui told foreign diplomats and journalists in Pyongyang, the Associated Press reported.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:51 AM

"North Korea suspending missile testing and closing nuclear site; Trump the statesman?"

I didn't read the thread. Did OP ever get an answer to his question?
Old 03-15-2019, 08:57 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
"North Korea suspending missile testing and closing nuclear site; Trump the statesman?"

I didn't read the thread. Did OP ever get an answer to his question?
I'd say the answer was that NK did suspend their missile testing (they, unsurprisingly, seem to be making noises about un-suspending it sometime in the near future) and closed at least one of their nuclear test sites (due to issues with it collapsing from what I recall), so I guess to both of those the answer was 'yes'. The 'Trump the statesman' bit is definitely debatable...I'd go with 'no' on that one, but that reflects my own bias and animus against the guy more than anything on this particular issue.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!

Last edited by XT; 03-15-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Trump the administration imposed new sanctions on NK last night due to these latest violations.

Trump the Statesman revoked those new sanctions in a tweet:

"It was announced today by the U.S. Treasury that additional large scale Sanctions would be added to those already existing Sanctions on North Korea. I have today ordered the withdrawal of those additional Sanctions!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...634966020?s=19

Bismarkian. The new Tallyrand. Our own Richeleau.

Brings a tear to my eye to see the latest George Marshall at work, it does. You too, Ditka?

Last edited by JohnT; 03-22-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:25 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Trump the administration imposed new sanctions on NK last night due to these latest violations.

Trump the Statesman revoked those new sanctions in a tweet:

"It was announced today by the U.S. Treasury that additional large scale Sanctions would be added to those already existing Sanctions on North Korea. I have today ordered the withdrawal of those additional Sanctions!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...634966020?s=19

Bismarkian. The new Tallyrand. Our own Richeleau.

Brings a tear to my eye to see the latest George Marshall at work, it does. You too, Ditka?
I didn't see anything on the news (and I'm not 'Ditka), but the Twitter guy commenting there is wrong...we aren't in exactly the same place we were before the talks. North Korea might be thinking of restarting their testing, but they were already testing before that, so we gained over a year without them testing anything, nuclear or missile. This latest...well, it makes sense from a businessman's perspective (which I think Trump barely qualifies as)....on the one hand you show the threat (new and more intense sanctions), on the other you show that you've stopped them (for now). Pretty clear message...those sanctions are ready to go in, and they will be more stringent, so perhaps consider not restarting those tests.

Whether it works or not, it's hard to say. This ISN'T a business deal and he's not dealing with a CEO. That said, it is different than what we've tried in the past, and thus far I have to say...it seems to be working, to a degree, and for certain definitions of 'working'. It's not how I'd have played it, but then I'd never be elected President. It's certainly not like we have played it in the past. But what we did in the past didn't work.

Last edited by XT; 03-22-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
I'd say the answer was that NK did suspend their missile testing (they, unsurprisingly, seem to be making noises about un-suspending it sometime in the near future) and closed at least one of their nuclear test sites (due to issues with it collapsing from what I recall), so I guess to both of those the answer was 'yes'. The 'Trump the statesman' bit is definitely debatable...I'd go with 'no' on that one, but that reflects my own bias and animus against the guy more than anything on this particular issue.
The collapse of the testing site a month before Trump got involved was the rather obvious reason they stopped testing for a while and closed the site that collapsed. Nothing Trump has done has made the slightest difference to what NK is doing with its nuclear program any more than anything any of the previous four Presidents did has, but Trump gave NK the attention and legitimacy it has been craving all this time while undermining the US relationship with South Korea, something which NK has also been craving all this time.

Trump and/or Pompeo did achieve the repatriation of Korean War soldiers' remains, and I give them full credit for that.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:06 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

I disagree that it had no effect, and disagree that the only reason they stopped all testing for both nuclear weapons and for their missile testing is due to the collapse of their nuclear test site. Certainly this is about NK getting attention, but I think they DO need those sanctions lifted, and I think that having China officially part of the UN sanctions has put additional pressure on NK.

I don't want to give Trump credit for anything, but I think in this one narrow case that folks aren't being rational here. And, frankly, we don't know where this is all going...Trump could still be the complete fuck-up that we all know he is, and this could backfire big time. But right now, today, I think it's sour grapes to say what he's done has had no effect and is totally worthless. From what I'm looking at Trump is in fact balancing this all between North Korea and China, and playing one off against the other, such that neither knows what to do or how to play this...and neither wants to potentially piss Trump and the US off further and bring more sanctions or renewed trade war tariffs. Whether this will do anything in the long term has yet to be seen, but I can kind of see where I think this is going. I still think it's like a monkey at the controls of an air craft hitting the right button by accident, and who knows what button he will hit next, but for now, I think we are flying fairly well...

YMMV, obviously.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:19 PM

I agree that talking to NK is better than refusing to talk to NK (although it's worth remembering that before he became president Trump castigated Obama for talking to NK about their missile program). It's just the Trump has been really bad at it, but gets away with it to some extent because he's the living embodiment of the Madman Theory.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:26 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I agree that talking to NK is better than refusing to talk to NK (although it's worth remembering that before he became president Trump castigated Obama for talking to NK about their missile program). It's just the Trump has been really bad at it, but gets away with it to some extent because he's the living embodiment of the Madman Theory.
Absolutely. I'm terrified, frankly, because I don't think he really knows what he's doing. We definitely need to do something about China and trade, but he's doing the right thing for all the wrong reasons. Frankly, his reasons for the trade war and tariffs are stupid...but the trade war itself isn't, IMHO. The US needed to hammer China over it's various WTO violations and IP theft as well as it's aggressive policies in the east and south China seas regions. I think the US doing the TPP route would have been better, but what we've actually done has been good. Too bad it's for all the wrong reasons, at least from what Trump says.

Same goes for North Korea. We needed to hammer them and force them to stop their constant missile and nuclear testing. We needed to get China on board with at least officially endorsing and, in theory, putting in place sanctions of their own. Doesn't matter if they actually do it, it matters that they are on record as doing it and voted for them in the UN. Too bad what Trump is doing is, again, for all the wrong reasons.

They should have his picture on that Wiki page, as he is the incarnation of that in...well, I was going to say human form, but that's being too generous...